what if...

Jonty
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

What if (and i'm not suggesting this is going to happen because he had two good games against inferior opposition), but what if the FSW somehow does get Torres scoring consistently again.

a) Do you think we'll still pursue a new striker in Jan

and

b) Do you think if FSW can get 25 goals out of him this season, Roman would keep him on on a longer term basis?

It hadn't really occurred to me earlier, but if Torres actually does start scoring again, considering Roman has shown he values him far more than any manager, he might keep on the FSW just for his benefit?

Scary times.

Edited by Jonty

What if pigs could learn to fly?

What if we could grow money on trees?

What if i could become a gifted lover?

All things which have little chance of happening, although i have more hope that my money beans will come good before torres does.

To give my view to your questions:

A) We would be mad not to pursue a new striker at this time. Torres has not delivered on a consistant enough basis to suggest that he is ready to lead our line with a sufficient goal return. 4 goals against newzealand and Sunderland have nto done anything significant to change that. Even if he went on a  goalscoring run between now and the transfer window, then it is too much of a risk to continue to put our eggs in the Torres basket.

B) not necisarilly. If torres scores 25, but the rest of the team tanks, then i dont see Roman keeping on the interim. However, if the team plays amazingly well, wins the league, wins the Europa and is playing free flowing football, then i see the interim being kept on whatever Torres output. The Team playing well and winning is more important that Torres scoring.

Indeed, can't help thinking a Falcao will shatter his recent confidence to bits so expect to see a lower key signing.

Not wanting to turn this into yet another Torres bashing thread, you-know-who's confidence appears fragile enough at the best of times. Not buying a world class striker, or even a more reliable striker, in order to avoid denting that confidence should surely not be a consideration?

Not wanting to turn this into yet another Torres bashing thread, you-know-who's confidence appears fragile enough at the best of times. Not buying a world class striker, or even a more reliable striker, in order to avoid denting that confidence should surely not be a consideration?

Indeed, but will it be...

Good thread.

I think with the quality in midfield we have now a striker from the conference league should be able to get 25 goals a season with us! 

A) Yes, I think we will still pursue a new goal scorer regardless, I think we have to. However, if Torres goes on a run from now through January the only difference I could see it making is we may buy a striker with less (monetarily perceived)  value/worth.   If he goes on another dry run I can see a bit more being spent. 

B) The scary thing is we don't know. History suggests that he will be gone (Hiddink). I think the depth of feeling against Benitez will not sit too comfortably with Roman too much, and I believe he is easily influenced, or at least very quick to change his mind. I would love to see him bring back Mourinho, but the question is will Roman's pride be too much to go back to the way it was? 

Edited by Zola

We've got to get another good striker in, no matter what Torres does. If, and that's a very big if, Torres hit top form and starting scoring goals for fun, knowing our luck he'd get injured immediately and be out for the rest of the season. Sturridge alone just isn't enough back-up, and hasn't been all season - besides which I wouldn't be surprised if he left us in January.

At least we're free to go after any striker safe in the knowledge that being cup-tied in the CL is no longer a worry. Not that it ever was for me, I've always been far more interested in winning the league. Hah, winning the league with Interim in charge, what the f*ck am I on??? :happy001: :happy001:

Regardless of whether Torres returns to form or Sturridge signs a new contract we still need another striker as two are not sufficient. That striker should be world class. I believe Falcao is the antidote to our striker problem and Roman should sign him even if he has to dig deep into his pocket book.

Regardless of whether Torres returns to form or Sturridge signs a new contract we still need another striker as two are not sufficient. That striker should be world class. I believe Falcao is the antidote to our striker problem and Roman should sign him even if he has to dig deep into his pocket book.

This is true but who do I get this strange feeling we will sign a llorente or huntelaar with the thoughts being Torres main man and then lukaku to take up the mantle?

This is true but who do I get this strange feeling we will sign a llorente or huntelaar with the thoughts being Torres main man and then lukaku to take up the mantle?

I won't be surprised if Huntleaar goes to Arsenal and Liorente signs for Liverpool. I don't believe Lukaku is ready to take up the mantle for Chelsea.

Guest RFC_CFC

I don't care if Torres scored 30 between now and the end of the season, FSW has to and will leave this club once the season comes to an end.

If we win a few things and get the team scoring and playing well then that's all well and good but there is too much bad blood for him to stay around.

The only 'what if' I am concerned about is if Jose goes to us or City!

FSW is nothing more than a bit of wood guarding the window until the glazer gets here!

I think its a shame if Danny leaves without having a real chance in his favoured position here, espesially with the way Torres has performed for big parts of his time here, I'll be interested to see how he gets on given another run like he got at Bolton and feel there's a good chance he'll blossom and score a lot of Goals.

I think we need a quality striker to come in and compete for the main role and  I would imagine a Falcao or other big name signing might spell the end for the is he isn't he man.

Not to take anything away from Torres Goals of late but he still looks nothing like the striker he was and I feel a big name signing would see his head drop so quick he'd be putting in a claim for whiplash.

As regards to the Interim getting Goals from Torres and that leading to him getting an extended stay on the seat far too tight for his massive arse, thats been

my fear from the off and is making it difficult for me to get excited about Nandos mini revival.

Think about it...we've spent this season alone 32 mil on hazard, 25 on Oscar, 9 on Moses, 8 on azpilicueta which is 74 million already. With ffp looming and the fact we have lost millions in tv coverage by not qualifying for the cl knockouts how do you think we can afford those kind of fees?

Think about it...we've spent this season alone 32 mil on hazard, 25 on Oscar, 9 on Moses, 8 on azpilicueta which is 74 million already. With ffp looming and the fact we have lost millions in tv coverage by not qualifying for the cl knockouts how do you think we can afford those kind of fees?

I think there will be ways to manage it.

There are sure to be some sneaky people at Chelsea who can make the finances work somehow.

I also think that the FFP thing won't be as tough as many thinks. I think I read something about club being able to spread the price for a player out over the length of the contract. So if we buy someone for 50m and hands him a five year deal, then that would mean the player will cost us 10m per season.

I can be wrong about this though, because it was quite some time since I read about it.

Anyhow.

I'm sure that whatever money we spend won't be enough to put us in trouble.

You raise a good point, never really though about that.