TomW
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Number 1 Next Season  

335 members have voted

1. 1. Cech or Courtois?

• Cech
    • Courtois

I got what you meant.

I just thought it was a ridiculous thing to say. Of course it isn't the best move for business in some senses, but do you honestly think Cech hasn't earned the right to go where he wishes?

If it costs us the title? No I don't.

So for you BD (and I know it's hypothetical) but would you prefer Cech gets his wish moves to Arsenal and he's over the moon (assuming this is his preferred destination) and we come 2nd to them next season or we force Cech to go abroad & he's a bit miffed he didn't get to go to arsenal and we win the league?

I love Cevh as much as the next blue, but Chelsea will come before any player for me.

If it costs us the title? No I don't.

So for you BD (and I know it's hypothetical) but would you prefer Cech gets his wish moves to Arsenal and he's over the moon (assuming this is his preferred destination) and we come 2nd to them next season or we force Cech to go abroad & he's a bit miffed he didn't get to go to arsenal and we win the league?

I love Cevh as much as the next blue, but Chelsea will come before any player for me.

For me, Chelsea is the players and staff and fans associated with it. I know that football has changed drastically in the last decade or more but I don't view someone like Cech as a commodity.

As for the hypothetical, I'd allow Cech to accept whichever of the best offers he wishes and if his team were to finish above us then I'd focus on OUR issues. If we don't win the league next season then that's OUR fault.

Cech has earned the right to be treated with respect by this club in my view and I'll be singing his name loudly from the Matthew Harding Lower this Sunday because I love the man for what he's given us and that's EXACTLY why I'll respect his decision.

Edited by Blue Daze

For me, Chelsea is the players and staff and fans associated with it. I know that football has changed drastically in the last decade or more but I don't view someone like Cech as a commodity.

As for the hypothetical, I'd allow Cech to accept whichever of the best offers he wishes and if his team were to finish above us then I'd focus on OUR issues. If we don't win the league next season then that's OUR fault.

Cech has earned the right to be treated with respect by this club in my view and I'll be singing his name loudly from the Matthew Harding Lower this Sunday because I love the man for what he's given us and that's EXACTLY why I'll respect his decision.

I don't think anybody thinks he doesn't deserve 'respect' from the club.

Allowing him to leave before the end of his contract without pricing him out of the market, and 'within reason' allowing him to go to any other club IS giving him that respect.

But shouldn't he also be showing some respect to the club and us by NOT going to a direct rival for the PL, you would think that he may consider leaving an untarnished legacy with the club he's won so much with might be more important than a few years trying to beat us to the Pl title because he doesn't want to move house !!

It works both ways BD ?

I wouldn't be suprised if  Frank had the choice all over again he wouldn't have played for City (certainly not against us anyway)

I agree that he has earned the right to make the best move that suits him, however a move to another Premier League team would obviously be disssapointing, though I don't think it'll take away from his achievements with Chelsea. I think Cech genuinely cares about the club, not all players do of coarse, but I think he does, hopefully he'll decide to go to a different country, if not then surely we can forgive him, after all that he has achieved here.

I don't think anybody thinks he doesn't deserve 'respect' from the club.

Allowing him to leave before the end of his contract without pricing him out of the market, and 'within reason' allowing him to go to any other club IS giving him that respect.

But shouldn't he also be showing some respect to the club and us by NOT going to a direct rival for the PL, you would think that he may consider leaving an untarnished legacy with the club he's won so much with might be more important than a few years trying to beat us to the Pl title because he doesn't want to move house !!

It works both ways BD ?

I wouldn't be suprised if  Frank had the choice all over again he wouldn't have played for City (certainly not against us anyway)

If he goes abroad that means taking a young family out of the country or not being around as much. Any grown adult will recognise that those are real things that have to be taken into consideration and I think that's what the club might be thinking too.

I don't honestly think there is any Chelsea supporter who would have those expectations of him, where we replace him and then when he (rightfully) wants first-team football demand that he go abroad. I honestly don't think we're like that as a fanbase or as a club.

Lots of teams who aren't our direct rivals (really only 3 of those) play in England you know, even a few in London apparently ;)

And can afford him whilst giving him the level of competition he wants (and maybe even deserves)? I suppose if he wanted he could go to Brentford. Local at least.

Every other  prem club except for (Man U, Arse and Citeh)..   
And a fair few Championship clubs who will be vying for promotion.. If he really does need to stay local (which i do understand)

And don't be so obtuse, you knew full well i didn't mean f**king Brentford or such like.

Edited by chelseablueboy

Every other  prem club except for (Man U, Arse and Citeh)..   

And a fair few Championship clubs who will be vying for promotion.. If he really does need to stay local (which i do understand)

And don't be so obtuse, you knew full well i didn't mean f**king Brentford or such like.

£10 million and £100k p/w wages and that's ignoring the fact that he might want CL football or a league challenging team.

Just to put his wages into context, he earns more than the top wage earner at all but about 6 Premier League clubs. So the economics of the situation are a factor. 

I get that... But i don't think he's going to command 100k a week at 33 is he (and Arse certainly aren't going to pay a 33yr old keeper that kind of money), his wages at Chelsea were negotiated when he was at his peak, so that's just you muddying the waters.
He's at the age where his contracts are on the way down (unless he signs for one of the cash rich European clubs) so i still maintain that most PL clubs can afford him.
He will have to make some compromises if he chooses to leave, and i (and it's only my opinion) think that not playing for a direct PL rival should be the the one he chooses if Leaving London, if he goes to Manchester, then there's not a lot of difference in that and Paris !!
Anyway BD, this could go backwards and forwards forever, so i think we'll just  agree to disagree on this.

Rather cech go for free to psg than us get 15m and he goes to arsenal/united/liverpool.

I get he has a young family, but he's an international footballer that has already lived in 3 different countries. I'm not sure whether that would be too much of an issue.

Selling him to a domestic rival would be a terrible situation. He could realistically establish himself as a legend at Arsenal, who's to say he won't play til 40.

Football is all about sentiment. It's about turning up week-in and week-out to see players give their all for this club, and Cech has given far more than most. It's a ridiculous pastime that only has meaning because of the personal relationships that exist. I love the man and that's why I'd allow him the chance to do what he feels is best for him, because I respect him, because I admire him, because I'm grateful to him.

But to borrow a sentiment that you've expressed to me a number of times, I'm not surprised to see you not take that view.

Bollocks, you don't strengthen rivals simple as

Rather cech go for free to psg than us get 15m and he goes to arsenal/united/liverpool.

I get he has a young family, but he's an international footballer that has already lived in 3 different countries. I'm not sure whether that would be too much of an issue.

Selling him to a domestic rival would be a terrible situation. He could realistically establish himself as a legend at Arsenal, who's to say he won't play til 40.

Correct me if I'm wrong but his kids haven't lived elsewhere have they? I think that's maybe where the human side of football takes precedence over the business of it. 

Look, I know that the idea of strengthening a rival isn't a good one and I'd love for him to go to a team who don't threaten us but I respect the man enough to allow him to choose where he goes and I expect that the vast, vast majority of Chelsea supporters will feel the same. I don't think we'll have internet videos of Cech shirts being burnt because I don't think we're like that. I think we'll say a big thank you to him this Sunday and let the big man choose.

With Forster out with a big injury, Southampton could do with a keeper. Koeman is a good manager doing a good job there, and with a few quality additions, they could be seriously fighting for a Champions' league spot. Southampton isn't too far away. If he wants to keep his family here in London, that might be a decent option.

Edited by GhostOfDembaPast

Correct me if I'm wrong but his kids haven't lived elsewhere have they? I think that's maybe where the human side of football takes precedence over the business of it. 

Look, I know that the idea of strengthening a rival isn't a good one and I'd love for him to go to a team who don't threaten us but I respect the man enough to allow him to choose where he goes and I expect that the vast, vast majority of Chelsea supporters will feel the same. I don't think we'll have internet videos of Cech shirts being burnt because I don't think we're like that. I think we'll say a big thank you to him this Sunday and let the big man choose.

No one has mentioned burning shirts or shown any ill-will towards Cech in this thread at all, so not sure why you even brought that up.

I expect the vast, vast majority of Chelsea fans agree with me when I say I don't want to see one of our all-time legends going off to play for Arsenal or Man Utd. I'd also like to think the club respects us enough not to do it, and hope they'd have enough common sense to see the folly in strengthening one of our main rivals. Heck, I'd like to think Big Pete himself thinks enough of us enough not to do it.

No one has mentioned burning shirts or shown any ill-will towards Cech in this thread at all, so not sure why you even brought that up.

I expect the vast, vast majority of Chelsea fans agree with me when I say I don't want to see one of our all-time legends going off to play for Arsenal or Man Utd. I'd also like to think the club respects us enough not to do it, and hope they'd have enough common sense to see the folly in strengthening one of our main rivals. Heck, I'd like to think Big Pete himself thinks enough of us enough not to do it.

I'm one of those fans who doesn't want to see him go to Arsenal, but if he chooses to then I'll respect his decision.

The problem is we could sell him to a Turkish club but after a year a rival could come in for him anyway and he'd still only be 33. 

Couldn't we insert a clause called ' Do not sale to my rivals '  when we sell to the Turkish (or Italian) dude? Realistically, we can't stop him from going where he wants. However I remember a while ago some United fan asked him on SM about joining United, and he said No way ( or similar). Maybe things have changed?