2014 transfer window

dkw

Well I think its fair to say this transfer window has been a complete success in every way, pretty nearly damn perfect.

We needed 2 strikers, a left back and a controlling midfielder and got exactly that, with bonus of bringing back Courtois and getting rid of Torres. I can't see there being any more in tomorrow.

Fantastic window addressed every problem the fans were concerned about from last season, also with a net spend of under 10m.

Great buisness and a massive well done to everyone involved. We now possess a wonderfully balanced squad, which is something we have lacked since our last title win.

The squad looks set for the next 5 years with only the centre back position that may need a top signing, depending on whether zouma, Christiansen etc, can make the step up.

Very happy, and very excited.

Hmmm...let's see (counting major transfers/loans only):

Cesc Fabregas - In: We have had previous with him yes, but 27 million pounds for a player of his quality is IMO too good to pass up. He also addressed our need for a deep-lying playmaker. Unqualified success

Diego Costa - In: One of the world's best strikers ATM - and for only 32 million. What's not to like? Unqualified success

Filipe Luis - In: One of the world's best leftbacks. What's not to like? Unqualified success

Didier Drogba - In: Decent 3rd striker, will be very influential in the dressing room, heart bleeds Chelsea, but do question his ability to last in the PL at his advanced age. Qualified success

Loic Remy - In: Good 2nd striker, can be inconsistent and has a medical condition, but for the price listed was clearly the best option available overall. Also more versatile/all-round than Ba was. Unqualified success

David Luiz - Out: Will miss his character, but he never really matured and at 40 million pounds how can you say no? Unqualified success

Samuel Eto'o - Out: Would not have minded keeping as 2nd or 3rd choice, but I doubt he would have been happy being 3rd choice. Scoring record was also fairly good. Will Remy be an improvement? Time will tell. Jury's out

Ashley Cole - Out: Same to see a long-standing servant leave, but he was declining, on high wages and IMO now clearly inferior to Luis/Azpilicueta. Wish him well at Roma. Unqualified success

Frank Lampard - Out: See Ashley Cole. Wish him well wherever he goes. Unqualified success

Demba Ba - Out: Apparently wanted to be first choice so went to Besiktas. Would have kept him as 2nd choice, but needs a run of games to perform at his best - he's not really a super-sub. Also lacked the all-round game to truly thrive at Chelsea. Would have liked a greater transfer fee though. Qualified success

Patrick van Aanholt - Out: Would not have minded seeing him stay as 2nd choice if only for quota reasons, but wouldn't have displaced Luis/Azpilicueta on any day. Probably also wanted regular 1st team football. Qualified success

Romelu Lukaku - Out: Would have like to have kept on, but wanted to be 1st choice. Transfer fee also far too good to turn down and is not as complete a striker as Costa or even Remy. Unqualified success

Tomas Kalas - Loan Out: I can understand why he was loaned out (to gain experience), but he seemed good enough to be around Chelsea's 1st side and has convinced me more than Kurt Zouma has, though Zouma could have higher upside. Jury's out

Victor Moses - Loan Out: Would have been worth keeping around for HG reasons I guess, but not good enough for Chelsea's first team - has not progressed since joining us. Unqualified success

Marko Marin - Loan Out: See Victor Moses, only somewhat more skilful and injury prone I guess. Unqualified success

Ryan Bertrand - Loan Out: See PVA. Unqualified success

Fernando Torres - Loan Out:  :Troll_Face: Unqualified success

From FFP perspective, the window has been brilliant, no question. 

All up, this is probably our best transfer window for many a year - probably since 2004 (2003 was more a mixed bag as someone else pointed out). 

Some great transfers this summer, but the best part for me was definitely how early we got our business done (besides Remy of course but we had planned to have Torres in the squad up until now). Getting Costa and Fabregas so early was key because they had the whole of pre season to gel into the team. By the time the season had kicked off, they were able to hit the ground running. 

Whereas in the case of a team like United, Di Maria, Rojo and whoever else that clown is buying before the window shuts 'need time' to settle and gel into the team, and they are going to have to keep dropping points until that has happened.

Some great transfers this summer, but the best part for me was definitely how early we got our business done (besides Remy of course but we had planned to have Torres in the squad up until now). Getting Costa and Fabregas so early was key because they had the whole of pre season to gel into the team. By the time the season had kicked off, they were able to hit the ground running.

Whereas in the case of a team like United, Di Maria, Rojo and whoever else that clown is buying before the window shuts 'need time' to settle and gel into the team, and they are going to have to keep dropping points until that has happened.

I do wonder of Torres was not actually up for transfer but when Milan declared interest he decided he wanted to leave. Seems that way anyway.

I do wonder of Torres was not actually up for transfer but when Milan declared interest he decided he wanted to leave. Seems that way anyway.

I'm not sure. I don't think he was necessarily transfer listed at any point but I reckon we've been trying our hardest to shift him for years now. I think we just couldn't find any club that both wanted him and were mad enough to pay those silly wages. Luckily we have now.

That is something that bothers me about Torres, actually. Always liked the guy for his work ethic and so on, but the fact that he refused to take a wage cut to leave the club and was happy to collect that kind of money at the club is pretty ridiculous to me. How he could accept those pay cheques given his performances for us, and how could he refuse to leave unless his new club pay him the same?

I'm not sure. I don't think he was necessarily transfer listed at any point but I reckon we've been trying our hardest to shift him for years now. I think we just couldn't find any club that both wanted him and were mad enough to pay those silly wages. Luckily we have now.

That is something that bothers me about Torres, actually. Always liked the guy for his work ethic and so on, but the fact that he refused to take a wage cut to leave the club and was happy to collect that kind of money at the club is pretty ridiculous to me. How he could accept those pay cheques given his performances for us, and how could he refuse to leave unless his new club pay him the same?

To be fair to him though we gave him that contract. I guess now he feels like he needs to be loved again. It's just a shame we didn't go for Remy last year think even with just him we'd have won the league last year.

To be fair to him though we gave him that contract. I guess now he feels like he needs to be loved again. It's just a shame we didn't go for Remy last year think even with just him we'd have won the league last year.

I know we did, and I don't have any hard feelings towards the guy really, but it would have been nice for him to take a pay cut and leave, rather than accepting such enormous money despite very little contribution on the pitch for so long. From what I've heard he is finally taking a pay cut to join Milan though, so I'm thankful for that. The longer him being stuck at Chelsea and being paid outrageous money lasted, the more our wage budget would have been stretched.

If someone would have said to me 18 months ago that in less that two years we'd have:

Jose back

A world class striker

Drogba back

An amazing collection of attacking mids beating even the OHM trio.

2 world class midfielders

I would have slapped them for trying to mess with me. What an incredible 18 months it has been!!!

I think the only player we could do with replacing is Mikel but besides that It has been an amazing transfer window.

I think the only black spot, if you could call it that is that Jose loaned MvG this is where he's decide to cut his non HG players, leaving us potentially short. Admitted MvG is recovering from the ACL injury last year so it's difficult to say how he'd get on but it's still slightly frustrating.

If it was me and I had to lose one non HG player, based on Jose keeping Courtois and Cech, I'd have chosen to keep MvG and not registered Schwarzer. The chances of him playing are so small I'd have trusted Blackman or an emergency loan over holding onto a 40 year old safe in the knowledge I had 2 first choice keepers in the squad.

This transfer window has been unreal. At the end of the season I made a mental list of what I wanted us to do and the club have addressed it all:

2 new strikers

New left-back

Deep-lying playmaker

Courtois in goal

Sell Luiz for an extortionate price

It looks as though we've even managed to keep hold of Cech too, that's how great the Summer has been for CFC. If was being completely greedy then I'd rather have signed Shaw and also brought in Pogba but not complaining  :wink: .

Can't reiterate how happy I am with the Summer we have had, we moved quickly to fix the problems in the squad. Even when I thought we were done we weren't, signing Remy in place of the departing Torres was a brilliant move.

Looking forward to finishing work tonight and just sitting down relaxing to watch deadline day unfold.

Archived