if no premiership title, is the season a failure?

The Brit

with utd odds on to win the league now, I wonder how fellow chelsea fans will take the news if we are no longer champions of england...you know that the media are going to slag us and jose off, saying with all our millions that it's a disgrace not to win, blah blah blah

of course we still have a chance in fa cup and champs league, but if we don't win in europe either, the knives will be out...

But my cutlery will be staying firmly in the draw! I think it's a miracle we still have a chance of winning the league considering our many problems this season and it's thanks to us the country has a title race at all...utd are on course to beat our points record of 2005 so there is no disgrace to finishing second to that considering the amount of misfortune we have had.

I also think that utd are not far away from another massive rebuilding job...their team is old...van der sar, neville, scholes, giggs, solskjaer are all over 30, while silvestre, ferdinand, saha are all approaching 30.

I'm confident that whatever trophies we end up with this year we will come back stronger than ever next season, hopefully having learned a lesson or two from the mistakes of this year, but utd can only get worse.

This season has made me more of a Mourinho fan than ever. I've always liked him but at times in the past I've voiced my disapproval - the negative way we play at times, the way he favours workmanlike players over flair players and his lack of dignity in certain situations. But he has improved a lot on the last point and I think this season, at times, he has performed miracles. For us to be where we are, with the horrendous injuries suffered to key players, is pretty remarkable.

Of course I want us to win every match and therefore every trophy going, but in a strange way, I'll be quite happy if we don't win the league or even any other trophies this season. The fact we already have one trophy in the cabinet is good enough for me and will make me look forward to next season all the more, when hopefully the likes of Robben & Joe are fully fit and the whole squad will have a real hunger to win the league again - and this time really in style.

Of course if we do just happen to do the quadruple this season, that would be good too!!!

There's no way the season can be considered a failure if we don't retain the Championship. Nobody should expect to win the league every year, it's just not possible. Other top sides are always going to want to compete for the title, no matter how unrealistic their chances might be, and the smaller clubs will always want to beat the reigning champions.

Then you've got to take into account the injuries we've had this season - losing Cech AND Carlo at the same time was extremely unlikely, yet it happened. Joey's been out all season, and I think we've missed him terribly. JT's injury wouldn't have been so costly if we'd had decent cover at centre-back - that and having Cech & Carlo out at the same time as JT.

We've some promising youngsters coming through who have been performing very well out on loan - so why wasn't Michael Mancienne brought in temporarily to help out in some of the more low profile games while JT was out? Instead, Essien has been played out of position for months now, and that hasn't exactly helped our situation.

Just as much a reason for us being on the verge of losing the title is the diamond formation that Mourinho has insisted on this year - and some of his team selections have raised eyebrows. To constantly play Ashley Cole ahead of Wayne Bridge is criminal, considering Wayne has been on top form this year. And his reluctance to drop Ballack when he hasn't been producing the goods doesn't make much sense either.

Plus, some of our performances this season have been piss-poor. Some? Make that most of our performances.

Having said all that, I'm just happy I've been able to see us win the league, not once, but twice in a row! Something I wouldn't have even dreamed about just a few years ago.

We're still in with a very small chance of retaining the league, we've already won the League Cup, we're in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, and are doing OK in Europe. Personally I don't think that's bad going, considering some of the seasons I've witnessed at the Bridge icon_wink.gif

The fact we already have one trophy in the cabinet is good enough for me and will make me look forward to next season all the more, when hopefully the likes of Robben & Joe are fully fit and the whole squad will have a real hunger to win the league again - and this time really in style.

Joe will have an especial hunger, watching matches the whole season on TV icon_lol.gif

I agree whole heartedly with Bluebeard.

The idea that not winning the league is construed as failure is ridiculous. No team is entitled to win the league and no team should expect to win the league every year, a failure is only if you feel the team has under performed when you take account of all the factors (both internal to the club and external - i.e the level of performance set by other teams)

If we don't win the league this season then it is going to be down to a superb season by Utd, a pretty horrendous amount of bad luck for us in terms of injuries an, for me, ill advised tactics at a few key moments in the season which has cost us valuable points - not because we have failed overall.

Nobody should expect to win the league every year, it's just not possible.

Right you are...even Rosenborg stopped at 13 consecutive titles in Norway. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I don't think League Cup will be our only trophy this season. I have to believe we can win more. It's a small miracle that we've already got a trophy this season and are competing for three others, when you consider all the injuries we've had. Especially when the injuries have centered so much around our backline. The fight is still on, but if don't win the title this season, we will come back stronger next season. There's no way we can have so many injuries next season.

CAREFREE!

This season has made me more of a Mourinho fan than ever. I've always liked him but at times in the past I've voiced my disapproval - the negative way we play at times, the way he favours workmanlike players over flair players and his lack of dignity in certain situations. But he has improved a lot on the last point and I think this season, at times, he has performed miracles. For us to be where we are, with the horrendous injuries suffered to key players, is pretty remarkable.

Of course I want us to win every match and therefore every trophy going, but in a strange way, I'll be quite happy if we don't win the league or even any other trophies this season. The fact we already have one trophy in the cabinet is good enough for me and will make me look forward to next season all the more, when hopefully the likes of Robben & Joe are fully fit and the whole squad will have a real hunger to win the league again - and this time really in style.

Of course if we do just happen to do the quadruple this season, that would be good too!!!

I agree with everything you've just said, Nibs.

I think not cruising the league has been good for us (supporters included) - it's given us something to get our teeth into rather than another win-after-win-after-win procession. The carling cup was very, very special for me and my boys, and the best could yet be to come! As I've said since way back, the FA Cup final is going to be fantastic this year and who knows, we could reach the other one, too! icon_wink.gif

No way has it been a failure, not by a long chalk.

The season isn't over yet and I still believe we can win the title yet again. ManU hasn't impressed lately and I think it's just a matter of time before they drop points. Larsson is gone, Solskjaer injured, Rooney injured. In the next game they might only have 1 real striker - Saha.

But if we don't win the league I won't be too sad. We've won it two times in a row and that is great. This season we've had alot of injuries and at times we've played with a defence consisting of almost no defenders icon_eek.gif

We can still take home three titles and that isn't too bad. A CL title will more than compensate the loss of the league title.

If we end up only taking home the title we won against Arsenal then I can't say I will be too happy with the season but I won't be that disappointed either. Just as long as we can finish as runner up that would be fine.

The worst part of all this will be that the media will have a field day. Every so-called "expert" will have their saying about "Chelseas massive failure". And they will "forget" to mention all the injuries we've had.

But I guess we can all just turn a blind eye to all that rubbish. Or else we can tell them to sod off icon_wink.gif

I think we've had an "in between season" or a season to learn lessons which includes every level of the club from RA to PK, JM, the players and us the supporters. Definitely not a failure. I think at times success can make us forget that it's football and in football there are a lot of things you have no control over.

If there is one bone I do have it's JM doesn't show enough faith in our youngsters, but maybe next season he'll prove me wrong.

it is a failure in the sense that we had/have the best squad even considering JM's decisions to play the 442 with only 2 strikers and to sell gallas.

But if we win a trophy we have not won with JM it will certainly be a good or great season.

It is possible we could win our next 11 games, making it 16 wins out of 17, and still not win the league. It's out of our hands now, because we drew against Reading, Fulham and Villa, when we were without our skipper and first choice keeper and his top quality deputy. Bad results and very below par displays, but not catastrophic in any other year.

If that's failure, then it would probably be the finest performance by any side in English league history that hasn't won the title.

I agree whole heartedly with Bluebeard.

The idea that not winning the league is construed as failure is ridiculous. No team is entitled to win the league and no team should expect to win the league every year, a failure is only if you feel the team has under performed when you take account of all the factors (both internal to the club and external - i.e the level of performance set by other teams)

If we don't win the league this season then it is going to be down to a superb season by Utd, a pretty horrendous amount of bad luck for us in terms of injuries an, for me, ill advised tactics at a few key moments in the season which has cost us valuable points - not because we have failed overall.

Superb post, if you think you deserve the title you are either deluded or a Manc fan. Who in all honesty wants to see the same club win the title every year, the league would soon get incredibly boring. It's a good thing in my opinion that Chelsea have been able to break the "will it be Man U or Arsenal this year?" mold.

Chelsea from my point of view as most others here have said have had an absolutely fantastic season. With the injury's that you have sustained to still be in a position where winning the quadruple is still on is nothing short of a miracle.

We've done amazingly well to compete on four fronts, but we haven't really had a fantastic season because, to be honest, we have only played to our potential a few times. Too many players have been below their best and we've been kept in contention by a few players playing consistently well: Cech in recent weeks, Carvalho, Essien, Lamps (though he's not been as consistent as in recent seasons) and the unbelievably good Drogba. Bridge has been very good, too, and Maka and JT are rarely less than phenomenal.

That's 7 names, so over a third of the team have, in my view, regularly underperformed. Plenty of reasons why - not settling in, world cup hangover, injuries etc.

I don't know why exactly, but I'm particularly keen on winning the FA Cup this year. Almost moreso than the Champions League--maybe in part because I feel it's more realistic.

If we do fail to retain the league, it ought to prove ample motivation for next season, where we'll have the new high-profile recruits with one season to settle under their belts and hopefully ready to roar out of the starting blocks.

I want the big two obviously but i would love for us to win the FA cup again...it's been seven years since we last did it and it's about time we won it again and let's be honest it's the real domestic cup competition to win....looking at the teams left we have a great chance if we beat spurs on sunday, with Man utd the only big team left...besides I'd love to be at wembley in may seeing JT lift the trophy...awesome

Its obviously not a failure not winning the league a third time in a row, but it is very disappointing particularly considering the high hopes we all held when the Shevchenko/Ballack purchases were announced.

Its also irritating that when we did win the league ManU, Arse and LPool were all below their best. I think that our side last year would have beaten ManU's side this year but we won't get a chance to prove it.

My only hope is that next season the younger players, Mikel, Diarra and Kalou come on as they have this year and that we go out and win it again.

Meanwhile the Champion's League beckons invitingly, after all most of the 16 teams look beatable. At least much more so than Barca did last season

Its obviously not a failure not winning the league a third time in a row, but it is very disappointing particularly considering the high hopes we all held when the Shevchenko/Ballack purchases were announced.

Its also irritating that when we did win the league ManU, Arse and LPool were all below their best. I think that our side last year would have beaten ManU's side this year but we won't get a chance to prove it.

My only hope is that next season the younger players, Mikel, Diarra and Kalou come on as they have this year and that we go out and win it again.

Meanwhile the Champion's League beckons invitingly, after all most of the 16 teams look beatable. At least much more so than Barca did last season

Spot on new signings. I think Ballack&Sheva are the worst from Carrick&Vidic (for MU), Rosicky&Gallas (for ARse), Bellamy&Kuyt (for Liverpool) according to perfomance during this season.

Paying more than all others we lost transfer campaign, if talking about really big signings such as Ballack&Sheva. I like Mikel, I like A.Cole, I like Boulahrouz(when he`s fit and in-form, it was once, yeah?)

P.S. By the way where is fu**ing Butch?? icon_lol.gif

Archived