Mateo Kovačić

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

If Kovacic had chipped in with some goals and assists his season would have obviously looked a lot better.  He's a funny one because technically he's really good, but he just doesn't get forward enough and when ever he did he was no where near clinical enough.  He's still only 25 though, and whilst that should mean he's getting into his prime years there's still a lot of upside to him.  

I think he generally holds onto the ball too long but last night he had his best game for us.

I've finally seen him contribute to the attack and play in his team mates in the box.

I know it's just one game but hopefully we'll see more like this from him next season

4 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

You are truly deluded

If I'm deluded then so too are 99% of ex pros (including internationals) Managers and journo's in the media who all say exactly the same things about him - they cannot see what he brings to the team.

There is no agenda against him. Just honest views of what they've seen from him this season. IThe fact that he gets taken off every game and replaced by Ross Barkley says it all.

We need more goals and good chances created, especially with Hazard going, and he's not going help us get them!

25 minutes ago, Deino said:

He's like the Morata of midfielders, can do almost everything a midfielder does except score goals.

Sure, it would have been nice for him to score a few goals, but he's never been a goalscorer, so anyone who was expecting that was bound to be disappointed.  The thing that disappointed me the most was just the general lack of creativity.  Really would have like to see him create more chances for his teammates.  Going back to my previous post, I think if he would use his physical tools and bomb forward more often, we would definitely see more production and influence from him.

All that being said, I don't really want us to make the move permanent.  Another loan with a minimal loan fee?  Perhaps.

19 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

All that being said, I don't really want us to make the move permanent.  Another loan with a minimal loan fee?  Perhaps.

with the transfer ban is a loan move even possible? Maybe Drinkwater needs to stay until RLC is fully fit. Also I like to see Ampadu to play, but IMHO right now Kovacic is a more complete player than Ampadu.

1 hour ago, Deino said:

He's like the Morata of midfielders, can do almost everything a midfielder does except score goals.

Or create them. Between Kova and Kante the combined goals and assists has been woeful! We got away with it this season, mainly because other teams were even worse. Moving forward,we need significant upgrades on those two. And yes, that does mean looking for someone better than Kante in that position. 

4 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Or create them. Between Kova and Kante the combined goals and assists has been woeful! We got away with it this season, mainly because other teams were even worse. Moving forward,we need significant upgrades on those two. And yes, that does mean looking for someone better than Kante in that position. 

And yet we have still created more chances than every club other than Liverpool and Man City,. We had the second most shots after City and hit the woodwork the most. So those 2 not being creative wasn't detrimental to the overall attack. 

44 minutes ago, robdog said:

with the transfer ban is a loan move even possible? Maybe Drinkwater needs to stay until RLC is fully fit. Also I like to see Ampadu to play, but IMHO right now Kovacic is a more complete player than Ampadu.

I just assumed that if a transfer was possible, a loan would be too

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

And yet we have still created more chances than every club other than Liverpool and Man City,. We had the second most shots after City and hit the woodwork the most. So those 2 not being creative wasn't detrimental to the overall attack. 

Your important point is the mention of City and Liverpool. We are miles behind them in terms of goal power and threat. If you're happy with us fighting for 3rd or 4th? then fine. I want us to be serious title contenders and to do that we need better than Higuain, Giroud, Kova and Kante.

2 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Your important point is the mention of City and Liverpool. We are miles behind them in terms of goal power and threat. If you're happy with us fighting for 3rd or 4th? then fine. I want us to be serious title contenders and to do that we need better than Higuain, Giroud, Kova and Kante.

Imagine thinking we should replace Kante.

2 hours ago, Dixons said:

If I'm deluded then so too are 99% of ex pros (including internationals) Managers and journo's in the media who all say exactly the same things about him - they cannot see what he brings to the team.

Most 'ex pros, Managers and journo's in the media' are constantly criticizing Chelsea, most football pundits are idiots. Were you siding with them when they were all following Rio and calling that Chelsea fan Racist with no evidence. Do you want Kepa gone since ...

22 minutes ago, Dixons said:

and Kante.

If you think Kante is not good enough for Chelsea, than you are justifying my previous post.

I’ll admit I expected a lot more from him, but last night showed why we should sign him up - The potential is too big for us to let it slip. Genuinely can turn into a world class midfielder if he plays like he did last night week in week out.

I think he’s definitely worth 35m, considering we paid more for Drinkwater, Bakayoko and Jorginho. Only Jorginho is better.

32 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Imagine thinking we should replace Kante.

Unthinkable at one time, but playing in that position, then most definately!  From footballer of the year and always a contender for it, to having by far his poorest season in England and countless times on tv and radio pundits have said he's nowhere world class in this position.

Not sure how one good game means we should now sign Kovacic, I think it's still the hype of winning a trophy. Take the season as a whole and his been absolutely awful, he cant even finish a game let alone an assist or goal. I know what people are saying about potential and if he had showed the same form from last night over the last 3 months then fair play, I cant get that excited over one game.

22 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

Most 'ex pros, Managers and journo's in the media' are constantly criticizing Chelsea, most football pundits are idiots. Were you siding with them when they were all following Rio and calling that Chelsea fan Racist with no evidence. Do you want Kepa gone since ...

If you think Kante is not good enough for Chelsea, than you are justifying my previous post.

99.9% of everyone in the media have raved about Kante, at Leicester and Chelsea. But not this season and that's because he's been pretty average.

23 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Unthinkable at one time, but playing in that position, then most definately!  From footballer of the year and always a contender for it, to having by far his poorest season in England and countless times on tv and radio pundits have said he's nowhere world class in this position.

Lol yes, those "expert" pundits

3 hours ago, Dixons said:

There is no agenda against him. Just honest views of what they've seen from him this season. IThe fact that he gets taken off every game and replaced by Ross Barkley says it all.

We need more goals and good chances created, especially with Hazard going, and he's not going help us get them!

A lot of journos  and ex-pros are deluded tbh. They just jump on the bandwagon. They all jumped with the "Kante needs to play in his right position" etc and Jorginho should not be playing there. They don't realise that Kante is a B2B player but instead just say the cop out line. It is cringy. I would rather listen to the likes of Cundy and pundits who actually watch and know about Chelsea. There are other good pundits around but a lot of them just talk utter rubbish.

19 minutes ago, STATS said:

A lot of journos  and ex-pros are deluded tbh. They just jump on the bandwagon. They all jumped with the "Kante needs to play in his right position" etc and Jorginho should not be playing there. They don't realise that Kante is a B2B player but instead just say the cop out line. It is cringy. I would rather listen to the likes of Cundy and pundits who actually watch and know about Chelsea. There are other good pundits around but a lot of them just talk utter rubbish.

Exactly.  And after a full season, some of those journos never came to grips with the fact that Sarri does not play a position that Kante played for us, Leicester, & France.  So they continued to moan on with the "he's playing Kante out of position" statements.  You'd think they might have figured it out with some fairly basic powers of observation or a bit of research.