Chelsea FC to sell Didier Drogba to Marseille or Galatasaray?

amART

Marseille and Galatasaray are both keen on signing Chelsea striker Didier Drogba this summer

Chelsea look set to offload several senior players this summer following the big money signings of Fernando Torres and David Luiz last month.

The Blues are set to continue their spending spreed in the summer, but 32-year-old Drogba is likely to be sold as Carlo Ancelotti looks to lower the average age of his squad.

Real Madrid have also been linked with the Ivory Coast international, but former club Marseille and Turkish giants Galatasaray appear to be leading the chase for the talented striker.

Marseille are thought to be Drogba's preferred destination, but Galatasaray, who have a history of signing top players the wrong side of 30, would likely be in a position to at least match his current wages at Stamford Bridge.

LINK

I'd be very surprised if Drogba didn't return to Marseille this summer. His attitude when we played at Marseille spoke volumes, he seemed more intent on not upsetting the home fans than putting in any effort for Chelsea - and when he was substituted he applauded the Marseille fans, and ignored the Chelsea following.

I think it would be the right move for him and the club. Drogs has been awesome for us and will always be a big favourite of the fans, I'll always have fond memories of the man (though there are a few not so fond ones too).

Agree with Steve, I would be amazed if Drogba doesnt end up back at Marseille next season. Though I think it may be a season too early for us I would understand the thinking behind it. It seems Roman is intent on rebuilding the squad with a view to long termism, letting a 33/34 year old go would make sens.

I think he will be off too. Hopefully he gets his move to Marseille. Despite some of his antics he is a Chelsea legends in my eyes, never had a striker like him in my time. Imagine if him & Zola had been in the same era.

I think he will be off too. Hopefully he gets his move to Marseille. Despite some of his antics he is a Chelsea legends in my eyes, never had a striker like him in my time. Imagine if him & Zola had been in the same era.

Now that would have been something else to see. For fun though I would love to have seen him and JFH play together, the moaning and whinging between the pair of them would have powered a small town if harnessed.

I'm not sure about his contract situation, but obviously if Drogba leaves at the end of this season, he'll fetch more than if we keep hold of him for another year. How much of a consideration this might or might not be is another question. I do agree that we could get another season out of him, but if we intend bringing in more new faces, then this summer will almost definitely be the right time to let him go.

I'm not sure about his contract situation, but obviously if Drogba leaves at the end of this season, he'll fetch more than if we keep hold of him for another year. How much of a consideration this might or might not be is another question. I do agree that we could get another season out of him, but if we intend bringing in more new faces, then this summer will almost definitely be the right time to let him go.

I would hate to see him stay for a season and have a bad one. Theres nothing worse than a former star player just hanging in one season too many and leaving with a poor memory of him. I thought Zola did it best, have one last cameo appearance where you make carragher look a complete twat then leave on a high.

I think the rest of the season will be the deciding factor with a few players but obviously Drogbas situation is a stand out one, I believe (as much hope as belief) that he will have a good rest of season and form the sort of partnership with Torres that sees us hold onto him for another year, I hope he plays well enough to want to stay and I think he is a top athelete that once the after effects of the Malaria are fully out of his system will regain an appetite for the game knowing that with the new additions he could really end his career here on a high.

I am not Drogbas biggest fan but I believe he is still good enough to have a major input for another season after this, Torres coming could either push him to get back to a good level or make him think about returning to OM for a quieter couple of seasons before he retires.

I would love to see Drogba and Torres with their different styles and both in resonable form playing for as long as possible. if this season shows that is unlikely then thats when I would be thinking about letting Drogba go.

Be a shame to see him go, though we'll have to see how things play out with him and Torres for the rest of the year. However whether he stays or not his time is getting shorter, for the right price we should let him go, preferably to Marseille. Or wherever he wants to go, he's earned that much at least.

I agree with the most of you. I think he'll be back at Marseille this summer. Yes, we have to deal with antics at times but when he's on form is there any defense that can slow him down?

Those are the times I'll remember.

Lots of good memories he's given to this club and if he wants to go, he deserves his wish to be fulfilled.

I think that, like chippy said, the rest of this season will be the deciding factor.

If he can come back to his old self then I can see him staying for another year. But if things aren't going well and he feels he wants to spend his last years somewhere else (probably Marseille), then he will leave.

I wonder how much we can get for him.

maybe the champions league will persuade him to stay another year, surely for a player with a history in the competition like he has, he'l desperately want to win it before he retires. If the rumours about more stregthening in the summer are true, he might feel next year could be his last shot. Of course if we were to pull it off this year I'd think he'd definately leave for marseille in the summer.

I'm hoping he stays, IMO on of the things we need too make sure of doing is having a set of "chelsea chelsea" players teaching the next generation. Ie lets say Romelo Lukaka or x next young prospect striker arrives next year. They can then spend a year or two learning from Drogs + Nico. That sort of tutoring (heh it works in FM! and with man U) is one of the things a good team needs too maintain success. Also, he just had his best ever chelsea season last season. Selling him one year after that? o.O + he is a chelsea legend, i'm quite happy for him too retire here. Oh and from a purely commercial point of view he is also one of our most famous/prestigious players, that helps attract other players and helps with merchandising which all helps the clubs finances.

Having said that, if he wants to go either to marseille or somewhere too get a nice retirement fund going then heh he's a chelsea legend and wish him all the best.

Drogba in Marseille return link

rs_20110124221428.jpg

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba could be a summer target for his former club Marseille with a reported £5m-a-year deal on the table.

The French Ligue 1 outfit, who sold Drogba to Chelsea in a £24million deal in 2004, are now looking to take him back to the Stade Velodrome at the end of the season, following the Blues' recent £50million swoop for Fernando Torres.

A Marseille source, quoted in the Daily Express, said: "Of course Marseille want Didier to come back, but the wages will be a big problem. It is something they have to work on."

Marseille's admission comes at the same time Drogba has revealed his frustration at the way Chelsea's season is progressing, he feels Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Liverpool at Stamford Bridge has virtually ended their bid to retain the Premier League title.

The 33-year-old Ivory Coast international would probably have to take a pay cut to return to France but, he could be tempted to make the move given his current disillusionment in London.

Drogba scored 29 goals, as Chelsea won the league and FA Cup double last term but a combination of injury and malaria has hampered his form this time around, while the club are struggling as a whole to emulate their best form.

After crashing to defeat against Kenny Dalglish's Reds, he said: "This defeat has cut away our legs and jeopardised our chances of winning the league.

"I'm finding our bad spell hard to live with, as do the rest of the squad. That we've not been scoring as many goals has made for a bad mood around the place.

"Injuries and malaria have compromised my performances."

LINK

He's been a saviour at times, put in great performances now and then, but there again he has been moody and lazy when things aren't going to plan and that drives me nuts, did you ever hear Charlton, Brooking, Moore, Pele etc whining and complaining NO they dug their heels in and fought harder, maybe I am showing my age but this new era, as greater athletes they are no doubt, sometimes just piss me off.....given his latest comments about how wer'e fkcued when it comes to winning the PL, which will no doubt 'lift' the team spirit, I say let him go at the end of the year to some far off place where he is not going to hurt us....Brighton!

The rest of the season will be the deciding factor for sure. Torres will either make or break him. I suppose their are three possible outcomes. Either:

1. Fernando finds his feet after a couple of games and strikes up a ferocious partnership with Drogba, scoring bucketloads of goals in the process.

2. All three main strikers are rotated and given equal playing time. Not one sets the world alight, and we finish the season continuing to not realise what the best partnership is. or

3. Torres becomes the main focus of our attack. Drogba's performances continue to deteriorate until he finds himself becoming friends with the bench more often than not.

It's strange because when we signed Torres, I had this pre concieved belief that it would galvanise Drogba to fight for his place and add fire to his belly. Anelka, I presumed, would be the one to shy away, and now i'm not too sure. It's early days of course, but i'm beginning to think the opposite.

Put it this way. I think if the season were to finish now, then I would happily sell Drogba for £10m. Not only would we have got a decent fee for someone that is fast approaching 33, but a massive chunk of the wage bill returns and we then have the opportunity to shift the focus of the team. Start a'fresh.

As awesome as Didier has been for us over the years (& I would use the word legend), I feel his influence on the team can be too unhealthy at times. His departure will have to come sooner rather than later.

United pulled their socks up after Ruud left, as did Arsenal without Thierry and I have a feeling that we would too. We would have to.

Edited by Elliott

The rest of the season will be the deciding factor for sure. Torres will either make or break him. I suppose their are three possible outcomes. Either:

1. Fernando finds his feet after a couple of games and strikes up a ferocious partnership with Drogba, scoring bucketloads of goals in the process.

2. All three main strikers are rotated and given equal playing time. Not one sets the world alight, and we finish the season continuing to not realise what the best partnership is. or

3. Torres becomes the main focus of our attack. Drogba's performances continue to deteriorate until he finds himself becoming friends with the bench more often than not.

It's strange because when we signed Torres, I had this pre concieved belief that it would galvanise Drogba to fight for his place and add fire to his belly. Anelka, I presumed, would be the one to shy away, and now i'm not too sure. It's early days of course, but i'm beginning to think the opposite.

Put it this way. I think if the season were to finish now, then I would happily sell Drogba for £10m. Not only would we have got a decent fee for someone that is fast approaching 33, but a massive chunk of the wage bill returns and we then have the opportunity to shift the focus of the team. Start a'fresh.

As awesome as Didier has been for us over the years (& I would use the word legend), I feel his influence on the team can be too unhealthy at times. His departure will have to come sooner rather than later.

United pulled their socks up after Ruud left, as did Arsenal without Thierry and I have a feeling that we would too. We would have to.

My feelings exactly, if Drogba`s time has came to leave then so be it. He will be remembered as an incredible player for us and would leave with thanks from Chelsea fans, but at some point all players time to leave comes.

• 2 weeks later...