Torres

AAF

During the game against Blackpool the commentators brought up a good point I thought. They said that the attacking players at Chelsea are looking to score themselves rather than set up Torres. Specifically they were referring to Malouda, Kalou, and even Lampard. They said that at Liverpool Torres used to score, because Gerrard was always looking for him.

What does everyone think about it? And if it's indeed so, then are our attacking players just selfish or are under instructions from Carlo to play that way?

I think this is spot on apart from when he is with Anelka. Anelka and Torres seem to link up well and look to find eachother, but with the others are being more selfish and this is probably because they have a point to prove. I was getting frustrated for torres tonight and its really starting to get on my nerves with the lack of through balls and airial service he is recieving.

Malouda was a prime example right at the end tonight when he burst across the byline and torres checked his run and was in acres of space, but instead of simply laying it back to him Malouda just blasted it at the keeper. This is probably down to the fact that he wanted to prove a point but for me, and assist would have done that.

Agree with your point as i was also getting annoyed with the poor service to Torres, it's asif we have £50m and we dont know how to use him. surely by getting closer to him we can find passes for him to use on the floor as he's better there than chasing hopeless long balls such as tonight

Completely disagree. IMO the problem is clearly him. Look at his body language. Look at his eyes for f*cks sake. Does he look to you like someone happy? Someone confident? Someone enjoying his football?

There is only so long commentators and fans can keep saying "he is class. He is going to come good". It is been two years now since he showed any real quality consistent form, and that is a long time in football.

You gotta feel for him,he does make loads of runs ,finds space,and our inept wingers/MFs dont wanna help him,Roman must be scratching his scruffy growth in puzzlement,kalou looks good for him,but super frank burst onto his throughball, ole'

Completely disagree. IMO the problem is clearly him. Look at his body language. Look at his eyes for f*cks sake. Does he look to you like someone happy? Someone confident? Someone enjoying his football?

There is only so long commentators and fans can keep saying "he is class. He is going to come good". It is been two years now since he showed any real quality consistent form, and that is a long time in football.

My thoughts too. It's hard to judge because there is a lot of pressure on him and he needs to settle in, a rest pre season will do him good i think but that doesnt help things now. he does also need the ball being released to him a lot earlier for us to utilise he strengths. A goal could make all the difference, but how long could that be in coming?

whilst I'm worried I'm not going to make any rash judgements. But deep down I can't help but feel a sense of déjà vu!

Getting that first goal is the most important thing for him right now. Once he gets it, hopefully it'll get his confidence up and then, hopefully, more goals will follow.

The players around him could do more to give him better service, but he's had plenty of chances in games to get a goal and hasn't taken them. He just needs to keep plugging away and it would be great if that first goal were to come at home to City.

This.

Us Liverpool supporters fell into the same trap of blaming lack of service. Although that would help, what would help more is if Torres decides to justify his wages, he didnt at Liverpool, he hasnt so far at chelsea. Generally the option is for other players to do all the work and lay it on a plate for Torres, so that he gets those tap ins and therefore justify the fee.

What you have is one moody player where if things dont go his way, he sulks through the rest of the match.

Just, I also noticed he looks unhappy. But then I thought, what if the reason for his visible unhappiness is not that he does not want to be at Chelsea, but that he is not gelling with the team and as a consequence not producing performances he expects from himself?

I'm with Just on this one... he just does not look the same player he was a couple of years ago. It was absolute madness to buy him for any money let alone £50m. It's Sheva all over again. Will Roman never learn.

This is a very sensible statement. Cmon man. Its been 5 games. Will you ever learn? Anything?

My thoughts too. It's hard to judge because there is a lot of pressure on him and he needs to settle in, a rest pre season will do him good i think but that doesnt help things now. he does also need the ball being released to him a lot earlier for us to utilise he strengths. A goal could make all the difference, but how long could that be in coming?

whilst I'm worried I'm not going to make any rash judgements. But deep down I can't help but feel a sense of déjà vu!

Looking at him tonight BJD do you know who he reminded me of ? Do you recall way back when King Kerry tore his stomach muscles ? As I recall he wasn't out for a particularly long time but it was a very nasty injury and when he came back he really didn't look the same player for a long period. He struggled to regain the natural pace and power he had before the injury. As a result his whole demeanour changed on the pitch. He looked exactly the same as Torres does now. The look that says something just isn't right.

Our supply to the forwards was bad before he came and it hasn't changed. Can't expect him to score when the supply is lacking in quality and quantity. He's blown a few decent opportunities but he's still trying, not limping about looking to be sub'd off so he can play dress-ups with Carlo's wardrobe.

Give him time, but more importantly, give him the ball!

I'm with Just on this. Far too much apologising on Torres' behalf going on. He was playing poorly at Liverpool and he has brought that form with him. He has had chances to score but he has made a hash of them.

This business of him not being passed to is the biggest load of bull I've read on here for a longtime.

I remember 1-2 months ago people been bashing Rameris for the same reason, after half a dozen decent games he is the next best thing after slice bread. Every other teams in the league want him to fail, so as the media, all they need now is for the Chelsea fans to jump on the bandwagon. Judge him after 50 games, if he failed, ship him out to Spain. After 5 games? It's got be a joke :JC_doubledown:

My problem with Torres is he was immediately given a spot in the starting 11 despite coming to us in worse form than our current bunch of strikers. And since then he has kept his place every game despite again, performing worse than our other players. Why not put him on the bench and work him in gradually.

We've seen a number of players keep their place in the team UNDESERVEDLY over the last few months, it seems as if we just bought another.

Bench him and give him a few half hours until he finds a goal and looks like he actually wants to play football

Really hard one this, on the one hand a couple of years ago I'd have said he was the best striker around other than Drogba and if Drogs had have left I thought he would have been the ideal replacement and forced the whole team to play in a different style, then the thoughts of teaming him and Drogba together made me wonder if that could just be the thing to bring the best out of Drogba as he set out to prove he was still the main man and could adapt to having a quick and agile strike partner with good movement...best of both worlds and both players although having form struggles have shown on occasion that they are still two of the best in the Business.

I thought the UTD game showed Diddier was ready to give it his best and I thought even early on today he did actually try to link up with Torres when he had the chance, it never worked for him and he looked in sulky mood although to his credit he done his usual defensive duties admirably before he got the knock.

Torres looks like he thought if he got into the team with all the goalscoring records it would be easy to light the place up and it would bring his best form back, sadly none of our strikers have been getting great service of late and maybe had he arrived last summer he would have got off to a flyer.

He does look lost and as if he can't believe the way its going, he looks very low on confidence and his touch has been well off, that said I expect him to get through it although I think if it doesn't happen soon (and it could easily be a summer) then his signing will have had a detrimental effect on the season.

I have been of the opinion we need to get Drogba firing to have any chance in the CL and when Torres arrived I thought it wasn't quite so important but could still be the difference between a run and a realistic chance if Drogba regained some form, now with trying to rotate and trying to get the best out of both of them all we are doing (if it doesn't click quickly) is using the in form striker (Anelka) more sparingly and confusing the players who are trying to gel as a unit.

I don't think at Torres age he has lost it, I just think he's been inconsistent for the best part of two seasons and his head is not right but however this gos for him I think its a big job for the Manager to settle on the right players up front for the big games.

This.

Us Liverpool supporters fell into the same trap of blaming lack of service. Although that would help, what would help more is if Torres decides to justify his wages, he didnt at Liverpool, he hasnt so far at chelsea. Generally the option is for other players to do all the work and lay it on a plate for Torres,

So Torres' goals were tap ins? Easy sitters over three years? He was Inzaghi for Liverpool was he? That's such utter crap and you really need to keep it on RAWK or any other LFC site. I remember comments from LFC fans about how varied Torres goals were and how few of his goals were easy sitters. I guess they all changed their assessment of those goals once he left?

He's a pure striker, he's not a wide player, he's not a #10, he's not a second striker. He's the very tip of the spear and these type of players need the ball played up to them, preferably somewhere in the vicinity of the box. And then you let the striker show his quality. That's what Torres did at Liverpool and please don't tell me anything different. Like he just hung around the goalkeeper and imitated Dirk Kyut? BS. I guess Fernando Torres should apologize at this point to everyone for not being a different kind of striker. Pity he can't change his game now that he's almost 27.

He's not at his very best and he has blown some chances like any other striker (none of them being tap ins) but seriously in the last two games he's had minimal chances. It doesn't help that it looks like some of his own teammates can't be bothered to pass him the ball when he's clearly in open space in the box no less.