Vintage Blues pictures and film

1 hour ago, The Leigh Limpet said:

R.I.P Peter, taken from us far to soon.
Remember the FA Cup game at Orient, when we lost 3-2. If memory serves me right, there was a pitch invasion & DH remonstrated with him about his performance?.

I remember with Peter 'Mary' Houseman, if he was under pressure from a defender he would whip in a great cross, but give him room and time and the crosses weren't good. 

1 minute ago, erskblue said:

Back on 16th Sept 1989 we went to White Hart Lane and beat Spuds 4-1.

The attendance is shown as being only 16,260 !

Any reason why this low attendance? Was there redevelopment going on? Genuinely can't remember.

Yes I think there was, they were rebuilding the shelf as they call it, but spurs and arsenal had some shocking crowds in the 80's just like we did but they like to conviently forget about it and they were always in the top division winning trophies. Our away support was always larger back then than theres

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes I think there was, they were rebuilding the shelf as they call it, but spurs and arsenal had some shocking crowds in the 80's just like we did but they like to conviently forget about it and they were always in the top division winning trophies. Our away support was always larger back then than theres

That's one thing that pisses me off hardly any Chelsea there because they didn't give us any tickets for the 4-1 in 89 and only a few 6-1 in 97.

Edited by bluehaze

Yeah back in the 70s and 80s and part of 90s use to fill terrace down below and seats above across whole end. The day in question with the low attendance I watched the game with 10,000 others in Wembley arena. What a strange game sitting singing at a screen!!!

singing one man went to mow was spectacular with everyone sitting down and then rising!! The acoustics were brilliant it was soo loud.

On 04/10/2017 at 22:31, Boyne said:

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/10/fitting-memorial-for-former-player-whitley-unveiled--.html

Jack Whitley’s place in Chelsea history was not forgotten but until recently, our former player and trainer’s grave in nearby Brompton Cemetery had been.

That is no longer the case however and on Saturday, prior to the match against Manchester City, fundraising efforts by Chelsea supporters came to fruition with the unveiling of a new memorial stone for Whitley on his previously unmarked grave. It was a ceremony attend by the fund organisers and supporters, Chelsea’s chairman Bruce Buck and descendants of Whitley.  

He was a major figure for the club from our early years of existence up until the Second World War. In the wake of the short but colourful Chelsea career of the behemoth Willie ‘Fatty’ Foulke, he was our second significant goalkeeper and made his debut 110 years ago last month, keeping our first clean sheet as a top-flight club in the process.

Whitley went on to play 138 games before becoming the first team trainer, which in the days when the manager’s job was filled with administration, meant he was responsible for all areas of coaching and fitness, with a big role in player liaison and transfer negotiations. He was also the trainer of the England team on several occasions.

He continued to work for Chelsea until 1939 and died in 1955, shortly after our first league championship triumph. He was buried in Brompton Cemetery just to the east of Stamford Bridge, a fact that became lost over the course of time until rediscovered by Chelsea’s club historian Rick Glanvill. 

1506941790303.jpgJack Whitley's great grandson Andy and great great grandson Harry unveil the stone

The cemetery is also the final resting place of significant figures in Chelsea’s birth, including Henry Augustus Mears, who built Stamford Bridge as a football stadium and founded the club, and our first chairman Claude Kirby. Bobby Campbell, Chelsea manager in the late 1980s and early 1990s is also buried there.

However, Whitley is the only known former Chelsea player there so the Chelsea Supporters Trust, who are already involved in a project to maintain graves with assistance from the club, launched a crowdfunding appeal for a fitting stone memorial for the rediscovered grave.

‘We had to raise £5,500 for the stone and to pay for the plot and the licences, and we set ourselves a target of three months to do that,’ said Chelsea Supporters Trust chairman David Chidgey.  

‘We raised it in a month, and that shows the generosity of Chelsea supporters and also the affection we have for former players. None of those who donated would have seen Jack play but the fact he wore a blue shirt was enough.

‘We had Bruce Buck here for the unveiling and it was fitting as Bruce recognises the importance of Whitley being the only Chelsea player buried in the cemetery next to Stamford Bridge.’

1506942042588.jpgChelsea FC chairman Bruce Buck and Chelsea Supporters Trust chairman Dave Chidgey lay wreaths

Whitley’s great grandson Andy attended the ceremony along with his nephew Harry on behalf of the family and spoke of pride in the occasion.

‘This is the culmination of two-and-a-half years of research and work,’ added Glanvill, ‘and we are absolutely delighted to finally put a memorial on here, crowdfunded by supporters from Chelsea and from other clubs such as Everton and Man United as well.

‘We would love Chelsea supporters if they are walking down to the ground through the cemetery to take a left turn into the north-east corner and have a look at Jack’s grave. Working with the Chelsea Supporters Trust on this has been so satisfying, including tracking down the family so we could get permission to put a stone on the grave, and Andy who is here at the ceremony is a lifelong Chelsea fan though he is from north Lincolnshire.

‘Jack Whitley’s role at Chelsea was hugely important and for a former footballer to go unmarked in Brompton Cemetery was an anomaly we had to clear up, and it is thanks to the supporters that we have. Supporters remember.’

-          Click for information on a self-guided tour of the Chelsea-related graves in Brompton Cemetery, produced prior to the new memorial for Whitley

That’s pretty near where my old man is. In same plot as his mum and dad, but in the north west corner. He can hear the cheers as the goals go in. 

Edited by Shug

Peter osgood the king.

I must tell my tale of The King.

Anyway one of the early days at the new St Marys a work colleague who also done a bit of "master of ceremonys work in the "terry paine suite" at st marys knew i was "old school Chelsea". Though he knew i detested anything in Red (especially those scummy ones in hampshire) said be my guest at the Chelsea game. I  jumped at the chance, never get tickets now my Chelsea want the tourists and yuppies now, who can blame them.

Anyway we arrived outside  ground to park where the players do to be greeted by "ladies of the night" actually working. Never seen this at any ground even the bill dodgers or northern monkeys were this bad. Just shows what Southampton is and why the place is called scum, as it is. anyway went up to the suite and low and behold the king is the master speaker. He was there with  Mrs Osgood, really lovely lady. Any way after the corparate dinner the locals are asking the king was he Chelsea or Saint. He gave a diplomatic answer as it was all locals and i was the only Chelsea fan in the room. Being an "old school Chelsea" boy did not want to hero worshipas the king was with his wife. Anyway got talking to his misses and she looks at me and says "Peter knows your Chelsea!!!!!!!!! I still at this point had not shown my emotions (or so i thought). The game starts and we play badly and near the end of the game Fat Frank equalises, The king is out of his seat jumping about before me. One of the t nights of my life......

That same evening a lad who i used to go to Chelsea with says he is doing the kings autobigraphy.........I thought me mate was "extracting the urine" i ask ossie and he says its true.........  so i got one of the first copies nd ossie personally gave it to me.

Ossie was my Chelsea along with the rest and the days of Dixon Speedie etc. Blue till i die

Just thought i would tell you this  Ossie was only ever Chelsea, he had the heart and knew you had to be special to be Chelsra.