Defensive shambles

Zeta

Surely we cannot continue like this. AVB has tried the high line and it has failed. If we had to come up against someone like Barcelona in the CL, in total seriousness we could concede 10.

Bosingwa has no place in our starting 11, and everyone else has to go right back to basics on how to mark a striker and how to stick with them. If this isn't a wakeup call that it simply isn't working, i don't know what will be.

AVB has created a problem by mucking about with an area that didn't need touched. Our goals conceded in the last three seasons have been

2010/11 - 33 - joint lowest

2009/10 - 32 - second lowest

2008/09 - 24 - lowest

This season we have conceded 15 in 10 games which is ridiculous.

Time to get back to basics and put things right at the back because this is not sustainable. Stop playing so high up the park, spend money on an orthodox right back instead of playing a want to be winger with a dicky cross and charge JT with keeping them organised from the first minute of the game till the last.

I said we'll concede 10 against City. Our defence has been stupidly bad this season.

The tactics don't help the personnel element.

Pretty sure everyone knows what our main problems are.... except AVB? He's learnt nothing from Man Utd, sadly. Perhaps this result will finally make him realise we cannot play a high line and we must get a better right back. None of our back 5 covered theirs elves in glory today, but Cech, Ash, JT And Branna are and always have been consistently good for us throughout their CFC career, Bosingwa on the other hand hasn't, he is the weak link.

If we wants high line defenders, fine , buy them in january and let's get on from there.

Dont get into another slump , we have had enough bad moments for one season already! Drogba was sorely missed. Little physicality and the arse boys were twitching. Then he brings on Lukaku on the wing instead of center. God knows what's happening.

FFS sell malouda! Let's just open an account ourselves and buy him out.

This high defensive line has not been effective all season, but then neither has our defending from set pieces.

AVB, the management and coaches and the players need to start learning from their mistakes and fast. We have given away so many chances this year since the first day of the season against stoke when our defending of set pieces was laughable.

Sort it out please

We have seen an unacceptable number of individual mistakes this season, and with the high line we are playing they are all the more telling.

AVB implemented a high backline at Porto and last season they had the best defensive record in the league, having conceded almost half the amount the next best team did. We have been playing a deep defence for years, and every piece of success we have was built on a foundation of a solid defence so it's understandable that we're taking a while to adjust, and also why this kind of result is so alien to us. My point is that we shouldn't give up on such an important part of our new pressing game (which has produced some great results in attack) so early on when it is the dominant style among the top teams in Europe and when our manager has had success with it in the past.

I think a very important piece in this puzzle is David Luiz. He is still fitting in but if we give him time, with the talent he has already showed and also with the success JT has had with pacy partners in the past we will once again have a top-level backline which fits in with the new strategic regime. Another problem is Bosingwa, who is excellent at times but makes far too many mistakes and is far too inconsistent to be a starting member of a world class defence. A replacement right-back must surely be top of the transfer agenda in January.

But very importantly we shouldn't ditch one of the many steps which will take us back into the European elite after a few teething problems. Sure this is embarrassing in the short-term, but when our new starting XI takes its eventual distinctive form we will be glad we sat through this one.

I don't see why we need the high line though. We were one of the best teams in Europe with our deep defence under Mourinho, so what makes you think we need it now to get back to that level?

Because it left us weak in another area - scoring goals.

Without Robben/Duff/Drogba/Lampard all at the level they were under him we struggled to score that same amount whilst defending in that way. There's no Robben or Duff now, and Mata is a different type of player to either of them. Drogba hasn't got the right attitude right now and Lampard hasn't got long left at the top. We need a different system for different players. The most effective way for top teams to score more goals these days is to play further up the pitch, keeping the play in the opposition's half.

Doing that, means that opposition mistakes are made closer to their goal and make them easier to exploit effectively, as well as meaning that winning the ball in midfield instantly leads to an attacking opportunity. Playing deeper means that you draw the opposition on to you and have to hit them on the break, the last few seasons we've been seemingly unable to break at pace so we've had to come up with a new system and as we all saw last season, it's a system with its own massive problems.

The high pressing/high back line compresses the play and forces teams back and they have to play very quick, short passes to have a hope of keeping the ball. Arsenal are good at that, Man City are good at that and Man Utd are reasonable at that. They are the teams that will exploit us as we struggle to get used to this system. So yeah, this is embarrassing, but if this is a system that is seen as the most effective one, we have to persevere. Fine, we may not win the league, but at the start of next season we'll have the system to lead us into the future. It's the way that football is going - even Mourinho has changed his mind and started using it.

For several day I thought of starting this topic!

This is what I think. Today (against Arsenal) we where bad generally in every aspect!

We where very bad in defensive play this season. Norwich was easily play long balls and passes in Chelsea area.

My thought is that organization of defense is bad. There is no good set up of defense play. No good area coverage and very often players don't know who will go on ball. They don't cover area like they should and they don't play good one on one defense too. So many times I have saw how our middle or defense was out with 2 or 3 passes. Several times I have saw that 3 of Che players are near the ball and no one do the right thing.

I remember when 2 player was stopped by Terry and now Van Persie go through our 4 players. That is what's bad !

There is no strength and hardness in our defense!

AVB is not Mourinho and Mourinho is not AVB, but we need a little bit of those Mourinho defense!

I remember the time (under Mourinho) when others teams coaches where in big trouble thinking how to go through Chelsea defense!

Today is very simple! Just wait for Chelsea to go on attack and make counter-attack!

I repeat, this was not our day, but we got something new from AVB in attack but we lost in defense! I feel like they don't practice defense at all !

And one more thing! Our attack have to do more in defense!

Because it left us weak in another area - scoring goals.

Without Robben/Duff/Drogba/Lampard all at the level they were under him we struggled to score that same amount whilst defending in that way. There's no Robben or Duff now, and Mata is a different type of player to either of them. Drogba hasn't got the right attitude right now and Lampard hasn't got long left at the top. We need a different system for different players. The most effective way for top teams to score more goals these days is to play further up the pitch, keeping the play in the opposition's half.

Doing that, means that opposition mistakes are made closer to their goal and make them easier to exploit effectively, as well as meaning that winning the ball in midfield instantly leads to an attacking opportunity. Playing deeper means that you draw the opposition on to you and have to hit them on the break, the last few seasons we've been seemingly unable to break at pace so we've had to come up with a new system and as we all saw last season, it's a system with its own massive problems.

The high pressing/high back line compresses the play and forces teams back and they have to play very quick, short passes to have a hope of keeping the ball. Arsenal are good at that, Man City are good at that and Man Utd are reasonable at that. They are the teams that will exploit us as we struggle to get used to this system. So yeah, this is embarrassing, but if this is a system that is seen as the most effective one, we have to persevere. Fine, we may not win the league, but at the start of next season we'll have the system to lead us into the future. It's the way that football is going - even Mourinho has changed his mind and started using it.

So I just imagined that record breaking season under Carlo where we scored over a 100 goals but were still strong at the back?

So I just imagined that record breaking season under Carlo where we scored over a 100 goals but were still strong at the back?

That was also a season where Malouda was one of the best players in the league, he was running at and beating several players. He basically played like Robben did under Mourinho, along with Drogba and Lampard both playing brilliantly for most of the season. Like I said though, Drogba doesn't seem to have the right attitude any longer and Malouda doesn't seem to have whatever he was on during that season. Lampard is wavering a little - still top quality, but making less late runs into the box to score his trademark goals. I don't think that season will happen again. You need the right players and there is no 'next Frank Lampard', we may well have the 'next Drogba' in Lukaku but he doesn't seem ready and we're still looking for someone to do what Robben did for us and what Malouda did in that season.

I think that the high line can work and have to agree with gary (chuckle brother )Neville the midfield have to press when we don't have the ball too often our midfield and attackers stepped back allowing arseholes the time to pick their passes.

In the thread our new system without the ball there is a footage of barcelona showing how it should be done . Our problems seem also to be in this system Terry lacks pace to get back Bosingwa makes forward runs that lack final ball in to box or give away possesion cheeply. Mostly we seem to lack the bite and strength that allowed us to battle and tough out other teams. we need to man up a bit stop complaining when we dont get the decisions going our way and get stuck in to the task.

They were down to 10 men & up against a better team.

I like AVB a lot, but he needs to re-think his back 4. Bosingwa not good enough. Cole's form been very indifferent & JT & Ivan can't deal with pace when played together.

Dunno what to say about today. Other than the fact that between age and defensive frailties (Bossie) this kind of thing is just going to become alot more common.

One good thing so far and I give full credit to Arsenal fans for this, is that no WUMs have visited the forum so far (unlike the scum from QPR).

Credit to Arsenal fans for that.

Thats because they have been on the receiving end far too much in recent years.

In the first ten games of the season we've already lost three and conceded 15 (!) goals, which equals our all season defensive record from 2004/05. Shocking.

Forget the title, we need to concentrate on finishing in the top four.

As for the Arsenal game, we used to dominate Gooners since Mourinho's arrival by nullifying their passing game through terrific defensive organization and effective counter attack. AVB decided to throw it all away and play an open game with high defensive line which backfired on us in the most embarrassing manner. Arsenal have always been a dangerous team going forward and he basically played into their hands.

Hopefully he's a fast learner because we need to sort out our defensive flaws fast.

f**k me - doom and gloom - get a grip people - 3rd in the league, 1/4 final of the CC and pissing the CL group. We're playing the most attacking football since Duff&Robben just hold on and enjoy the ride.

Only saw there first 20 mins as I was playing today. Its clear we are playing too high and far too open. Yes its exciting too watch but we will end up conceding a sh*t load and frankly, I would rather watch us win every game 1-0 than throw away points like this.

This time last week we had an opportunity to go 5 points ahead of Utd (provided we won both games). Now we are 4 points behind them and 9 behind City..Other clubs are improving and they will soon be hot on our tail

This needs corrected and we need to buy a couple of wingers.

SORT IT OUT!