The manager needs to start talking ..

Davey Baby

Let's get one thing straight, I'm not calling for the manager's head or anything like that, I welcomed his appointment, was very excited by it, and I support him, regardless of whether he's successful this season or not.

Whatever happens, I hope we give him time, and a bad result at Blackburn won't alter my mind one bit.

It's worth remembering, up until QPR, we were more than happy, and it's also worth remembering, two men down against QPR, we put in an incredible performance. A literally incredible performance.

However ..

We all knew the Chelsea job was a complicated one and his inexperience may prove his undoing, particularly with an impatient owner.

You don't get too much time to learn on the job.

Our press are a lot different to Portugal's, and Chelsea are their favourite target.

My point is this ..

The players respond well when the manager stands up for them, when he defends them, when he fights back.

When he takes the weight off their shoulders and puts it on his.

It's time for Andre to do this.

It's open season on Chelsea currently, and particularly on Terry, it's time our manager mentioned a few home truths ..

The furore surrounding our fans ..

He needs to say what happened at QPR, regarding their fans. If Warnock wants to have a pop let's have a pop back. They were singing songs about Drogba, they were doing all sorts. Let's turn this racial agenda on its head. Let's tell it as it is, even if it courts controversy, even if he gets it in the neck.

He needs to ask Warnock if their fans should be jailed. That it might be better for him to get his own house in order before commenting on ours.

The players will respond to it.

He needs to mention Ashley Cole and the stick he gets. He needs to mention homophobia. He needs to ask why a blind eye is turned to that.

Why is it okay for rival fans to sing songs about our players but our fans can't sing songs about theirs? Say it. It will spark outrage. Say it.

He needs to mention Ferdinand's comment on Twitter. Nobody else will do it for him. He needs to defend Terry and say he's kept a dignified silence, despite the sh*t that's flying around, despite the lies which are said about him.

He needs to call it a witch-hunt. A tactic Fergie uses all the time. Once you put that slant on it, the perception of the coverage changes, even in a small way. He may be ridiculed for it but it's worth it. Terry needs defending here. AVB needs to make himself the story. It's what great managers do all the time, allowing their players to go out and play.

He needs to turn the focus on the journalists who are acting so deplorably. Basically our guy needs defending here, before he gets physically attacked, or before he questions if it's all worth it. This has gone beyond the realms of decency. Other people are defending him, the chairmen of other clubs, managers of other clubs, journalists. Okay they're in the minority but why not someone from our club? They've known JT a long time, they know he's not a racist, why don't they come out and say it and give him a glowing character reference. He has been here a long time, we love him, he has made a mistake.

Why are we hanging him out to dry?

I don't get it, I'm sorry.

It's open season on Chelsea and no-one is saying nothing, they are just saying, "Go ahead, have a pop."

You wouldn't see that at Liverpool, at United, at Arsenal. They stick up for themselves. We're fair game, partly because we do not assert ourselves. We do not bare our teeth.

I hate to mention the "J word" but the one thing I loved about Jose was he stuck up for us. No matter what happened, he stuck up for us. He didn't let the press have it their way. And he wasn't afraid to be the fall guy. Rival fans sang songs about him, not about our players, and that's just the way he liked it. I'm not saying he was perfect, he wasn't, but he certainly knew how to engender team spirit, and he certainly knew how to forge a siege mentality.

Criticism didn't faze him one bit.

I know AVB is his own man and I know Jose took things too far, but I think AVB could learn a thing from the old maestro right now. I sympathise with his predicament, he has only been here a short time, and none of this is of his making, but ..

That's management. This sh*t is not going to go away.

He doesn't have to get hysterical, he doesn't have to overdo things, he just has to have his say.

He has the truth on his side ..

Say it.

AVB has done nothing but support Terry. He's not engaged in Ferguson or Mourinho scale mind games with the media but he's backed his players, especially Terry. Personally I'm hoping he's spending most of his time fixing our defensive issues and analysing the problems than wondering how he can get one over on the media.

AVB has done nothing but support Terry. He's not engaged in Ferguson or Mourinho scale mind games with the media but he's backed his players, especially Terry. Personally I'm hoping he's spending most of his time fixing our defensive issues and analysing the problems than wondering how he can get one over on the media.

It's not so much about getting one over on the media. It's about drawing attention away from the players and onto himself. It allows the players to play away from the spotlight, with less stress. Mourinho is a genius at it. And Alex Ferguson is a pretty fair hand too.

I think our press office should maybe set up someone to go after the press, leaving AVB to concentrate on football matters, he's still a young manager finding his feet in the Premiership. Getting into rucks with the press won't help him.

But I think the club could try taking on some sections of the media and calling them to account for the cr*p they write about us...

If that is his personality , let him be it .

The way he defended Terry was fine with me . He did the same with Lampard and Torres . He protected them and see now Lampard is back to peak form and Torres putting in good performances albeit not consistent.

Though we loved the way Jose was able to protect his players , the amount of bad press was to a very big extent because of his confrontational attitude. The english press loved Jose for his antics but hated chelsea as though we were behind all that. The english press should have loathed ManCity the same way because of the foreign money and sudden success , but Mancini is brilliant at managing press , shows respect towards other managers ( forget the Moyes , Hughes incidents ) , other club etc., Mancini also never backs off from speaking out yet he keeps his cool. Thats the reason City are enjoying a very good name with the Press.

I want chelsea to be loved not hated and I believe AVB has got the perfect blend of attitude and aggression to take us forward .

• 4 weeks later...

Andre certainly gave the press ten barrels tonight, and I love it.

He even mentioned a Man Utd player.

No-one since Guus has stood up for our club and it's long overdue.

Also, his antics on the touchline ..

They may not make him a better manager but ..

I've missed the passion.

I know it might not always work in our favour, but damn it feels good to see the manager react the same way a - most likely, politely restrained - loyal fan would.

They will call him a cry baby trying to use the media as a scape goat, a poor tempered mourinho..... just keeping winning and they'll either have to love you or you can just keeping tossing :825:

Probably going to get shot down here but as far as Gary Neville goes I think he is probably one of the better pundits on TV at the moment.

Obviously his heart lies with Man U but generally he is quiet fair about his comments and it's good to get someone to rival all the scum pundits

that do the rounds.

Good to see AVB having a pop in our defence though.

Probably going to get shot down here but as far as Gary Neville goes I think he is probably one of the better pundits on TV at the moment.

Obviously his heart lies with Man U but generally he is quiet fair about his comments and it's good to get someone to rival all the scum pundits

that do the rounds.

Good to see AVB having a pop in our defence though.

Agree , i find Neville ok , not every opinion from any pundit will please us , we cant get upset everytime somebody critisies us .

As for AVB , i think he should button it at times , he has too much to say at times , his latest is he wants the players to make him part of the celebrations , f**kin hell .

He did it again yesterday to a degree this time against the pundits.. Both times he's been perfectly correct in his 'observations' but i hope he is aware of the power of a vengeful UK media ??

They can be relentless in their pursuit of someone if they feel inclined, and they have a knack of creating fact from myths regarding Chelsea targets as JT will confirm.

I'm glad he's speaking out for the club, just hope he is aware of the possible consequences.

Alan

Agree , i find Neville ok , not every opinion from any pundit will please us , we cant get upset everytime somebody critisies us .

As for AVB , i think he should button it at times , he has too much to say at times , his latest is he wants the players to make him part of the celebrations , f**kin hell .

Except AVB didnt even say that. fukin hell....

fair play for AVB saying what he did about the media, its completely within his right and to an extent I agree with him. At the same time, I think his observations can be interpreted as naive, as they merely intensify the pressure upon his shoulders. I'm all for him fighting our corner, but he needs to be careful about damaging his integrity especially so in regards to the press