Hilario signs one-year contract extension

ace

http://www.chelseafc...2685532,00.html

I guess we won't know what this all means until we find out where Courtois is playing next year. I like Hilario and he's done fairly well when called upon the last few seasons. I also think he's fairly popular with the players, and always wonder if guys like him and Paulo are going to transition into our backroom at some point in the near future.

However, this is probably not the best news for Turnbull, unless we are loaning Courtois out next year and not promoting anyone, ie keeping our current lineup of Cech, Turnbull/Hilario (honestly not even sure who is 2nd choice, Hilario and Ross never seem to be healthy at the same time).

Edited by ace

By all accounts Courtois is excelling at Atletico. Should he stay there and get more experience? If he comes back, his progress will be delayed. However, I have felt for a long time Cech needs genuine competition, and if Cech gets injured, we are royally f**ked.

Hilario should never pull on the shirt again. He is crap.

Is Turnbull good enough to be our number two? Judging from what I've seen, which isn't much, the answer has to be no.

Ok, he's no Carlo Cudicini(we were so spoilt back then when he was our back up keeper), but 18 clean sheets in 39 appearances is not exactly a crap record. I know the stats don't tell the whole truth, but if he's willing to train and be the third choice keeper, then he's well worth keeping. I trust him more than Turnbull.

The main issue is we still have Blackman, Delac, Walker, Taylor in addition to Courtois. I just think its a waste of resources considering the amount of young goalkeepers we have. If the issue is we can't trust Turnbull, get in Jaaskelinen since he seems to be warming the bench and very decent. My guess is Turnbull is just making up the quota.

By all accounts Courtois is excelling at Atletico. Should he stay there and get more experience? If he comes back, his progress will be delayed. However, I have felt for a long time Cech needs genuine competition, and if Cech gets injured, we are royally f**ked.

Is Turnbull good enough to be our number two? Judging from what I've seen, which isn't much, the answer has to be no.

Hes not crap though is he, as a 2nd or 3rd choice keeper hes as good as any other at any other club. He is a good fall back should we get to a point where we need him and he has proven to be reliable when needed. Really wish people would acknowledge the efforts of pro`s at our club before calling them rubbish and demanding they should never play again.

Hes not crap though is he, as a 2nd or 3rd choice keeper hes as good as any other at any other club.

I would say he's far worse.

Stoke have a better reserve keeper than us, as do Bolton, as do practically everyone else in the Prem, Fulham, Spuds etc.

Edit: As I say, if Cech gets injured for a considerable amount of time, or at the business end of the season, we are f**ked.

Edited by Davey Baby

Really? Everyone in the prem has a better 3rd chouce keeper than him? Garbage. Every time he has been called upon he has very rarely let us down. He has many more good games than bad, in fact I cant really remember more than one bad game he had. He isnt the best keeper in the world but he is a very dependable deputy, and certainly better than most 3rd choice keepers at the top level.

Davey, please give us a few examples of when Hilario was really not a good back-up keeper? What complete howlers has he made that you recall?

I can remember his debut against Barcelona and everyone was panicking, he had a great game. I can also remember when Cech got injured and he came in, everyone thought we were f**ked then. I think he had about 8 or 9 clean sheets in 18 games and had some excellent games. He`s had a few man of the matches if I remember correctly, but he isnt an 18 year old worth £30m so I suppose he`s no use in a squad is he.

If the issue is we can't trust Turnbull, get in Jaaskelinen...

I seriously doubt Jääskeläinen would want to come warm our bench. He's still good enough to be a first choice keeper and IF he would leave Bolton, I think it would be only to a club where he'd be first choice.

Hes not crap though is he, as a 2nd or 3rd choice keeper hes as good as any other at any other club. He is a good fall back should we get to a point where we need him and he has proven to be reliable when needed. Really wish people would acknowledge the efforts of pro`s at our club before calling them rubbish and demanding they should never play again.

Nope. Our goalkeepers need to be Cech with Hart and Casillas backing them up.

In all seriousness, not sure what all the fuss is about. I'm sure next year the goalies will be Cech, Turnbull, and Hilario again. Cech will be healthy for a majority of the games, and Hilario, a proven backup, will provide cover for us should we need it. If Courtois comes back, then it's Cech, Courtois, and Hilario at GK and Turnbull is the one being jettisoned, with Hilario leaving a year later. Not sure what other's thought would happen...

Everyone in the prem has a better 3rd chouce keeper than him?

You said as a 2nd or 3rd choice keeper he's as good as any. I now see you've amended that to 3rd choice.

I don't even think he's good enough for 3rd choice. Invariably when he comes in he plays well, then after a game or two he finds his level, which I have always thought is pretty crap.

If Turnbull is our number two, as you seem to confirm, I don't think he's good enough for that role either, from what I have seen. He is far inferior to most other number twos.

I think Cech would benefit from some competition.

Hilario signing a new contract isnt going to effect things too much. It is very likely that Courtoius will be staying out on loan next year so it is good to have Hilario staying on. Even if he doesnt play, he has lots of experience to pass on to the younger keepers in our squad.

I would always choose Hilario over Turnbull, Blakman, Delac, Walker or Taylor....especially for big high pressure games.

You said as a 2nd or 3rd choice keeper he's as good as any. I now see you've amended that to 3rd choice.

I don't even think he's good enough for 3rd choice. Invariably when he comes in he plays well, then after a game or two he finds his level, which I have always thought is pretty crap.

If Turnbull is our number two, as you seem to confirm, I don't think he's good enough for that role either, from what I have seen. He is far inferior to most other number twos.

I think Cech would benefit from some competition.

He has usually been 3rd choice, was 2nd for a short while but more often than not in his career here he has been 3rd. Now I would like you to name all these number 2s in the prem hes worse than. Also, as mod asked any chance you could point out these howlers he has made while playing for us. As for hie level, as I said he came in for a period of around 20 games due to injuries and had clean sheets in around half those games and did extremely well for us. He`s a very good pro who is willing to be 3rd choice and help the young keepers at the club, I honestly cant see why anyone has a problem with that. To call him crap is just unneeded abuse aimed at a player who never let us down and has been a model pro.

He has usually been 3rd choice, was 2nd for a short while but more often than not in his career here he has been 3rd. Now I would like you to name all these number 2s in the prem hes worse than. Also, as mod asked any chance you could point out these howlers he has made while playing for us. As for hie level, as I said he came in for a period of around 20 games due to injuries and had clean sheets in around half those games and did extremely well for us. He`s a very good pro who is willing to be 3rd choice and help the young keepers at the club, I honestly cant see why anyone has a problem with that. To call him crap is just unneeded abuse aimed at a player who never let us down and has been a model pro.

Calling him crap is not abuse, it's my honestly-held opinion. I think you're getting way too precious. If I called him crap to his face, that would be rude, but on a football forum, I think it's okay.

He may well be a good pro and a good guy to have around the place, I can't answer that. I have no reason to dispute that.

As for games, well it seems a pretty pointless exercise, because the minute I mention one game (such as Man City at home) people will disagree and we just go round in circles. I would prefer not to mention every single game in which I think he was poor, although many stick out. I just don't believe he is of the requisite quality to be our 3rd choice. If you disagree, fine.

As for number 2s he is worse than, I've already mentioned some of the clubs, to which you could add a whole lot more, such as Utd and Arsenal.

I seriously doubt Jääskeläinen would want to come warm our bench. He's still good enough to be a first choice keeper and IF he would leave Bolton, I think it would be only to a club where he'd be first choice.

jaaskelainen is currently warming the bench at Bolton anyway. IMO if you have a decent back-up goalkeeper, the 3rd choice position wouldn't really be an issue. Man UTd for example have Amos who is 21 and I reckon he has started some games.

Where does it stop, give Ferreira and everyone else a new contract?

jaaskelainen is currently warming the bench at Bolton anyway.

I understand he's a fan favourite over there and he's been there for about 15 years, so I reckon he'd rather warm the bench at Bolton than do it somewhere else.

I value his past contribution and taken on its own it seems like a reasonable 1 yr extension for a 3rd choice keeper but.....

Cech needs an able deputy in case of injury and to foster competition, that man is not imo Turnbull and maybe its not Courtois until one more season spent at AM, so I would shuffle the deck, bring in another experienced back up make Turnbull # 3 and move him on when Courtois finally returns and lose Hilario now unless.....

Turnbull is going in the summer or......

club taking a punt on Cech having another injury free season