Start of a new dawn

sals

No secret, but its looking increasingly like CL football may not be on the cards for next season (don't get me wrong I still think its attainable) however would dropping out of the top 4 and Europe's elite for one season actually be the worse thing in the world for us? It could in fact be the catalyst for a brand new dawn for Chelsea.

I'm going to use an example, that may not correlate completely but is very similar in principle. The 08/09 season, Newcastle were a complete wreck of a club, got relegated after a horrific season, that was on the back of 3 or 4 terrible seasons. They had a hugely inflated wage bill, had an interim manager/ ex legend at the helm of the club and there were quite a few questioning the likelihood of them getting back into the top tier in the near future.

Now the difference here is obvious, we are not dropping down a division domestically, just in Europe, but Newcastle took this as an opportunity for a fresh start, they cleared out a huge amount of deadwood (michael Owen cough cough) got a new manager at the helm and had a season of winning games. Now in their second season back in the premier league here they sit 30 games in, equal on points with us. Not to mention having a hugely talented, young squad and their wage bill is far lower than when they were bombing.

Should we not make Europe's elite for the first time since the 01/02 season it could be a chance for us to make a similar transition period. In reality Robbie D isn't going to get the job, and as much as i love him he really hasn't proven himself as a manager to jusitfy having such a big job. So we are going to have a new manager in, I would say a reasonably large clearout of personnel (I do appreciate that this type of thing is said year in year out, but not making CL could be the catalyst to actually spark this), hopefully a far reduced wage bill, a drastically lower average age throughout the squad and players that will not take anything for granted and are willing to really fight for the club.

Not going to turn this in an AVB rant as i think he would have been the perfect man to do such a clearout but in the long run there could be a lot of positives that come out of this. We have the added bonus of our owner not being a gigantic douche as well, unlike poor newcastle. Another important element of this could be more realistic expectations, at least in the short run for the club.

There are also negatives to it, such as not being able to attract the top names and all that. But im finding the positives, and if we get a younger, hungry and talented squad that next season are just fighting for top 4, then we can start to forge a new spine to the team and in 2 or 3 seasons once more get back to the pinnacle of domestic football.

KTBFFH!!!

As much as I agree we need to rebuild the squad somewhat, and admire the optimism some people are showing regarding finishing outside the top 4, I'm not sure I agree with it...

And as much as it's a nice idea that we would bring in these 'young, hungry and talented' players is it really more likely we'd be able to bring this sort of player in if we finish outside of the Champions League spots? I'd say almost certainly not.

On one hand there's Newcastle, but on the other hand there's Liverpool.

Dropped out of top four, overspent on supposedly 'young and hungry' players and are struggling to make top four again. Downing, Henderson, Adam and Carroll have all failed to live up to their price tags and none of them look top four standard. To add, their local spine of Carragher and Gerrard are on the decline (sound familiar, anyone?). This is after selling Alonso, Mascherano and Torres.

I'm not saying that that will happen to us if we don't finish fourth this season but I'd take it as a warning of what could happen.

There are also negatives to it, such as not being able to attract the top names and all that. But im finding the positives, and if we get a younger, hungry and talented squad that next season are just fighting for top 4, then we can start to forge a new spine to the team and in 2 or 3 seasons once more get back to the pinnacle of domestic football.

I totally agree.

It's going to take more than one season to rebuild the team. I think it will take at least 3 seasons before we can challenge for the league again.

I hope Roman is thinking the same way.

Edited by coco

I totally agree.

It's going to take more than one season to rebuild the team. I think it will take at least 3 seasons before we can challenge for the league again.

I hope Roman is thinking the same way.

That'll probably mean we've got at least another three managers to look forward to in that period.

dropping out of the top 4 and Europe's elite for one season

This is the part which worries me. People seem to be assuming we'll get straight back in next year, but look at Liverpool..miss out for 1 year and then they have been struggling down in 6th/7th for years. There is absolutely no guarantee we'll get back in if we drop out (which is looking very likely now).

The difference with Newcastle and Liverpool is simple, because all scousers live on their past glories, they opted to sign Kenny Dalgleish as a permanent manager hence why they are now sh*t. Newcastle realised their was a need to build the club properly.

To bring this back to Chelsea, Robbie has no chance of the top job here, he's not a big enough name for RA, I'd definately look at the Newcastle model as the way a declining club should take action.

Good topic, so let’s hope that the premise has already been covered in depth by the club at boardroom level. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if we missed out on fourth place. Life would go on. United would still receive preferential treatment from Premiership officialdom, the Arse would still be seen as a team that passes the ball better than the rest and City would still spend as if there was no tomorrow. I ponder, of course, on the exact type of parlous existence facing Chelsea should Champions League football remain out of reach by the end of the campaign and on immediate stark reflection I can’t, for the life of me, see that much by way of change taking place - as long as it lasts no longer than one season. Indeed, exclusion from the competition may well provide a few out-on-the-fringe benefits that escape the notice of us all during these uncertain times. Therefore, lest despondency takes too much of a hold, here are a couple of positives to be going on with…

As sals has said already, in a situation where ‘taking stock’ has already taken place, the assumption must be that interim coach Robbie D steps down, perhaps from the stage altogether, although dependent upon our FA Cup showing and further CL progress (we are not good enough to win it) he might easily find himself in a supporting role to a new coach with, and this is very much the first plus point, the singular responsibility for winning a Premiership title - no more, no less. Roman heaps pressure on a manager like no other owner, but if the mandate [by force of circumstance] has this amount of tunnel vision it has to become a simpler task. Indeed, achieving a Champions League spot other than a title-winning one might even prove good enough to keep the new incumbent in his job if my second plus point has credence and materialises.

By comparison with its Champions counterpart the Europa League is nothing to write home about and this big zilch of a cold hard fact is emphasised not only by United and City’s treatment of it whilst performing in it, but also by the competition’s combinational mishmash of group winners and losers failing dismally in any attraction stakes. I’d cast it as a second-rated seaside beauty contest for the already bummed out, where good-lookers from the [missed] world event have another go at getting their make-up right, this time on a Thursday night. However, depressing though it may be to look forward to, a one-off seasonal appearance for Chelsea in which we showcase our young talent has its merits and would provide some home grown encouragement in the form of Channel 5 TV exposure for current loanees like Milan Lalkovic, Patrick van Aanholt, Jeffery Bruma, Gael Kakuta and last, but by no means least, Josh McEachran.

Adopting a clear-cut policy of separating a group of players purely for Europa League purposes would also have the added advantage of giving them early European experience, which could then be supplemented by drafting in the most promising reserves, such as Nathaniel Chalobah, Lucas Piazon, Connor Clifford and George Saville. Some of these, McEachran, van Aanholt, Chalobah and Piazon in particular, are closer to first team football than others, but segregation of this kind would surely concentrate the mind of a new coach to make what I believe would be a necessary distinction and could even hasten the inclusion of players, such as Kevin De Bruyne and Thibaut Cortois [in one group or the other] rather than risk their long term comfy preference for a loan club.

Clearly, the major negative in all this is lost revenue - more significant, I feel, than any attractiveness the club might be deemed not to have due to lack of CL involvement - a forthcoming semi-final appearance [or more] will define our intent and should allay the fears of potential targets in respect of any [perceived] longer term decline on our part. Transfer-wise, the bottom line is that the best players get the length of contract and salary they want and if any target fails to see the potential in joining a club like Chelsea, well, I suggest he’s not worth buying anyway. Moreover, it is not as if we require a whole host of players once the ’old guard’ depart - a top draw, creative midfielder, a genuine tricky winger and world class bustling striker would do it for me. All in all, with the departure of half a dozen to free up places in return, the overall picture would not look anywhere near as bleak as it will [oh so gleefully] be painted by the Media....trust me, we could live with it and prosper.

If we go out and buy 3 or 4 top players this summer we can win the league again.. dont see why it would take 3 years.

We have wasted money on transfers and 'pay off' deals for the last 5 years and ended up with no manager and an ageing squad of players that are looking knackered, supported by some poor/oridnary signings over the last couple of years (Torres, Meirless, Benayoun, Bosingwa, Zhirkov, etc).

The result being we end up with a totally unbalanced squad of players.

In that same time several teams (Newcastle, Citeh, Spuds,) have made better transfers, and given their managers some time to get things going. 2 of those teams are now above us in the league and have stolen our CL place for next season, Newcastle could still catch us yet.

3 or 4 signings are not going to turn things around, it will take much more than that.

Thats what happens when the manager is changed every season or two if they are lucky.

Also Spurs are likely to get back into the CL after a season out of it. We are better than Spurs and they are going to lose their manager in the summer so dont lose hope yet.

Thats what happens when the manager is changed every season or two if they are lucky.

Also Spurs are likely to get back into the CL after a season out of it. We are better than Spurs and they are going to lose their manager in the summer so dont lose hope yet.

Bullsh*t. Real Madrid constantly change manager but are always one of the best sides in Europe. Our major downfall is the horrible transfer polciy over the last 4-5 years. Massive amounts of money wasted on sh*t basically.

I constantly read the phrases which talk about our ability to buy TOP PLAYERS...Weve been there n had all the teeshirts...All our TOP PLAYERS bought only play top football for the team we bought them from..Not with us...Lets forget TOP PLAYERS..Lets really start a NEW DAWN by getting all our younger players back n mould em over 3 years into a team that really wants the shirt n not just the cash..Mould em into a fiery hungry chelsea TEAM that know each other. Love each other and would feel it as disgracefull that any team member would not give 100% blood sweat n tears for the team n would look at playing that way whether it be wigan or barcalona.(sorry wigan)..That may bring a new dawn..Not another yawn

It's a nice thought but I don't think Abramovich and Chelsea work that way. This ship runs on success and status - it's clear there is no tolerance for taking a step backwards to rebuild. If the club isn't moving forwards, it's failing.

Non qualification for the CL may well be better for the club in the long term because it would force a change in strategy, but you can be sure that, initially, it'll be like the sky has fallen in.

Fuc* accepting fifth, we need a trophy and fourth place. This is Chels for fuc*s sake.And before everyone gets on me saying I'm a glory hunter, I've been supporting this club since 1982. Why go backwards when we don't have too?

Bullsh*t. Real Madrid constantly change manager but are always one of the best sides in Europe. Our major downfall is the horrible transfer polciy over the last 4-5 years. Massive amounts of money wasted on sh*t basically.

But they waste money too. A lot of it. Kaka has been almost as bad a purchase as Torres and he cost slightly more and now has just about zero resale value, being over 30. There are plenty of other examples the last few years where they bought a highly sought after player (Drenthe, M. Diarra, Garay) for a pretty penny and it just hasnt worked out. Others like Sneijder, Robben, Huntelaar have been sold on at about half price despite having some success. Either way it has resulted in a large, but acceptable, loss. They have learned from their mistakes recently though and their team is now an average of about 23 years of age, and all seems to fit together perfectly.

The major difference with us and Madrid comes with money in. Marketing and Madrid's coziness with the Spanish government are two advantages we dont have.

The latter advantage is a reason they catapulted to the Galactico's era in the first place. The former advantage keeps them there. They buy the stars and the stars sell all sorts of merchandise and keep them a household name throughout the world. The pre-Del Bosque Madrid was a trophy factory, but now Madrid are consistently ranked as one of the most valuable sporting brands in the world.

We just need to be smarter with our money than Madrid. Roman has to accept that while he might want the world's biggest players here, we are either going to have to develop them or get them just before they hit their primes, or we will never get out of the financial sinkhole.

Fuc* accepting fifth, we need a trophy and fourth place. This is Chels for fuc*s sake.And before everyone gets on me saying I'm a glory hunter, I've been supporting this club since 1982. Why go backwards when we don't have too?

Well said fella.

This isn't the club of old,we should not accept second best, (who the f*ck signed Miereles?).

If the club, with all it's 'investment' is falling short of top four quality,then it should make it top priorty to re-establish itself as soon as posible.

Forget late week trips in the Europa League,its the domestic stuff that matters most.

Once you get used to second best,then it becomes a long way back.Just look at the dippers,dirty Leeds scum,wet spam etc,etc.

Well said fella.

This isn't the club of old,we should not accept second best, (who the f*ck signed Miereles?).

If the club, with all it's 'investment' is falling short of top four quality,then it should make it top priorty to re-establish itself as soon as posible.

Forget late week trips in the Europa League,its the domestic stuff that matters most.

Once you get used to second best,then it becomes a long way back.Just look at the dippers,dirty Leeds scum,wet spam etc,etc.

Thanks Alan, glad to see some like minded forward thinkers. We need to remain positive and keep going forward.

thats all well and good,but with ffp we`re not necessarily going to be able to spend our way out of trouble are we. the squad needs a revamp we all agree,and while no chelsea fan wants to be second best(i`ve been more than content to finish above arsenal since 04 for example), its looking imo more likely by the week. man utd took a step back to move forward when they were hopelessly outmatched by us for two years.

thats all well and good,but with ffp we`re not necessarily going to be able to spend our way out of trouble are we.

on the brighter side we have some really talented youngsters just 1-2 seasons away from breaking into the 1st team . . . josh, lukaku, piazon, de bruyne, courtois

As much as I don't think finishing 5th will be the worst thing to happen in regards to the squad, however I don't think we should just accept it. It must be noted that this is a failure in terms of Premier League success - if we accept it like Liverpool have done then this is wrong. We want to win things and if we don't then the reasons why need to be improved.

Why didn't we win the league this year?

If next year we bring in top quality wingers, while bringing some youth players through and developing our core than I don't think finishing 5th is too much of an issue.

If we buy the likes of Henderson, Downing, Carroll and Charlie Adam then were going in the wrong direction for sure