Pull your 'kin finger out Gourlay !

Star
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

For me the club are showing a complete and utter lack of respect to Robbie Di Matteo and Eddie Newton.

Over a week has passed since the greatest night in our history, we all are walking about with a spring in our steps,

still on cloud nine, pinching ourselves and being so proud to be a Chelsea fan.

Without doubt Chelsea are 'flirting' or making the same strides to 'seduce' Guardiola.

The weeks grace, comes with the end of Barcelona's season, which let's face it came with a great deal of disapointment.

Losing to title to bitter rivals Real Madrid and being tactically put to the sword in the Champions League Semi Final by our own Robbie Di Matteo and Eddie Newton - Chelsea cup heroes and legends for all eternity after that magical night in Munich.

Roberto Di Matteo is everything to Chelsea to what Guardiola is to Barcelona.

To Chelsea fans not around when the likes of Osgood and Cooke brought home the FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup, Di Matteo is a major reason why they support Chelsea.

To put this in prospective here is a picture of my grandson after the bus parade last Sunday - in my son's shirt from when Robbie wore the Chelsea shirt with pride and emulated both the legends above in his time as a player .....

My point is .... had Ossie or Cooke led us to European Cup glorly as Manager's during our youth we would be battering the gates down to get them appointed full time.

Gourlay should pull his finger out, look at the European Cup and think I need to convince Roman Robbie is the man for the job.

post-70-0-63689100-1338121916.jpg

post-70-0-39064400-1338122001.jpg

Great Post Star, fully agree altough how much clout Gourlay has is anyones guess,

Really good Pictures of your Grandson mate, was he really really small or is that just a really big Golf Tee behind him :smile:

seriously though its long gone time to show Robbie the respect he deserves and give him the Job.

Edited by Chippy

Just because you want Robbie as manager doesn't mean it's the right decision. We need to see who is available and if we can see what ideas they can bring to our team. There is no rush.

Roberto Di Matteo is everything to Chelsea to what Guardiola is to Barcelona.

Well said. When Barca sacked Rijkaard and promoted Pep he was totally unproven as a big manager and was not shy about remaking the team by shipping out some of the big stars. 4 years later and he is one of the most sought after bosses in the world because he came into the right situation at the right time and showed his stuff.

I feel that getting rid of our own club legend player-turned-manager to maybe, perhaps, possibly get a shot at Barcas legend player-turned-manager (if he feels like it) is just wrong on many levels, like it shows a lack of pride. But I know everyone here proud of RDM, proud that he is one of our legends, and prouder still that we have won the big one with him at the helm.

Total disrespect to to Robbie and Eddie. The lads have just won us the UCL, what more can they do? The fact Pep Guardiola is being mentoined is even more disrespectful. If Roman wants Pep because he wants him to take us through the transition and to turn us into an attractive football team, why in the hell wasn't AVB allowed the time to do it? :mad:

Just because you want Robbie as manager doesn't mean it's the right decision. We need to see who is available and if we can see what ideas they can bring to our team. There is no rush.

How do we go about seeing what ideas a new Manager can bring to the team? we've seen what ideas Robbie has brought and we can't bring someone else in and then go back, surely Roman should have learned that with Mourinho.

Its the right decision because hes earned his shot, give him the chance to bring in some new faces so that he doesn't have to rest players and prioritise and he will show us (imo) that he has even more to offer than he has shown with a fading bunch of stars with injuries and suspensions making his Job more difficult.

Pep has a good CV but so would most decent Managers with the players he had available, Robbie has only his previous short Managerial spells with very limited players to boast on his CV but some of the Football WBA played was very good to watch and with superior players could be just what a lot of Chelsea fans and the Owner want to see.

Hes shown he can play backs to the wall and come out on top and hes shown he can go for the kill and come out on top, the least he deserves is the faith of the owner and he should have been shown that faith (again imo) before the CL Final.

I have no problem with Robbie as manager and I've said before that I think giving him a one year deal to prove himself over a full season is the ideal scenario for us, but there are a couple of arguments I see pop up constantly that I just can't agree with.

The first is the notion that he did a good job at West Brom. Yes, they played some attractive football at times, particularly early in the year, but they were a sinking ship when he was sacked. They had lost 13 of their last 18 matches and were only 2 points above relegation when he was let go. That doesn't mean he's a bad manager, but the only two things people seem to mention about his team at West Brom is that they played attractive football and that it was unfair he was let go. The first is partially true - they did play with more offensive flair than you'd expect, but they weren't able to sustain that style of play without losing consistently. The second is false. When a club is in freefall, the manager gets sacked, particularly when said club is slipping closer and closer to relegation and whose financial health depends on staying in the Premiership.

The second notion that I object to is that the tactics we used against Barca reflect on Robbie's ability as a manager. In another thread, somebody referred to it as a "tactical masterclass". The tactics we used against Barca are the exact same tactics we've used in the past and Robbie had nothing to do with drawing them up. He implemented them successfully, true, but he did so by copying the blueprint that previous Chelsea managers had used to great success against them. Barca's tactics haven't really changed since the last time we met them in the Champions League, nor did ours.

All that said, I want to reiterate that I'd be perfectly happy with Robbie as manager. I'd give him a one year deal and if we are performing up to par next year, I'd forget all about Guardiola and extend his contract on a long term basis. I just had to comment on the two oft-repeated arguments in favor of him that I think are inaccurate.

I am completely biased on this as Di Matteo is my favorite player over the years , when I was playing Saturday and Sunday league My number was 16. That said what we have in our trophy cabinet is enough to convince me that the boys should get the chance. I am not completely clouded as when they took over I would have taken Jose or Pep as manager when the new season started , however how can you not fail to be impressed by what they have achieved. They're enthusiasm and love for the club is obvious to everyone and I for one will be be delighted to see them given a chance. Sentiment aside , loyalty to a team that has won where others have failed for whatever reasons needs to be given consideration.

Its very difficult for us as fans this one. We would almost to a man love to see RDM take over after what he has done. But the people picking or new manager have to be dispassionate and make sure they get this decision correct, maybe even more this time than any after the mistake that have been made lately.

No rush, you are on another planet mate !

Drogba between club and player was sorted as soon as they got off the bus !

Do you honestly think the likes of Hazard will consider signing with the doubt

of who is manager and the intended role in the team ?

As for Robbie he is Chelsea through and through - it's a simple decision he couldn't have

done anymore.

If the club cannot tell him by now it's a joke - but as we all know he is going to get stabbed

in the back ..... Guardiola or bust it is !

I don't think contract talks is so easy. RDM needs to be happy with the situation as well. As far as I know Guardiola is the only manager who signs 1 year contracts. The risk is huge, so you have to have great faith in yourself and the project the club is running. If Hazard, Hulk and Marin is signed/going to be signed as "club signings" and RDM wants Schurrle, Gotze and Reus (for example), why should he accept any offer from our club?

I'm skeptical to RDM and I'm skeptical to Pep. I think RDM has deserved a chance, but there has to be a situation both parts (board and RDM) wants to live with.

It seems pretty damn likely that Robbie and Eddie are only being kept as a backup choice by now. Does anyone have any idea what kind of contract they are employed on? I'm not even sure if they are currently on the payroll right now, especially Eddie.

I'd have liked them to have been given the job but right now my biggest concern is simply getting someone in place pronto, be it them, Pep, Capello or anyone else. Obviously it has to be someone with the credentials to reinvent the side and maintain the standards to which we are accustomed but I can't stand the idea of another last minute job with a manager trying to recruit players on deadline day and having no pre-season with his new players. in respect of the league we're already playing catch-up so we don't want to be making it more difficult for ourselves.

I really doubt Pep could replicate the Barca playing style at another club and chasing him around will ultimately prove to be a mistake for whoever ends up with him. His success was intrinsic to his reputation and standing at Barcelona, and more importantly, with the players he had. Not to detract from what he accomplished there because after all, he had the stones to get rid of Eto'o, Ronaldinho and co; to instate Xavi, Messi and Iniesta as the teams new spine. Not unlike the situation we find ourselves in now.

I have no problem with Robbie as manager and I've said before that I think giving him a one year deal to prove himself over a full season is the ideal scenario for us, but there are a couple of arguments I see pop up constantly that I just can't agree with.

The first is the notion that he did a good job at West Brom. Yes, they played some attractive football at times, particularly early in the year, but they were a sinking ship when he was sacked. They had lost 13 of their last 18 matches and were only 2 points above relegation when he was let go. That doesn't mean he's a bad manager, but the only two things people seem to mention about his team at West Brom is that they played attractive football and that it was unfair he was let go. The first is partially true - they did play with more offensive flair than you'd expect, but they weren't able to sustain that style of play without losing consistently. The second is false. When a club is in freefall, the manager gets sacked, particularly when said club is slipping closer and closer to relegation and whose financial health depends on staying in the Premiership.

The second notion that I object to is that the tactics we used against Barca reflect on Robbie's ability as a manager. In another thread, somebody referred to it as a "tactical masterclass". The tactics we used against Barca are the exact same tactics we've used in the past and Robbie had nothing to do with drawing them up. He implemented them successfully, true, but he did so by copying the blueprint that previous Chelsea managers had used to great success against them. Barca's tactics haven't really changed since the last time we met them in the Champions League, nor did ours.

All that said, I want to reiterate that I'd be perfectly happy with Robbie as manager. I'd give him a one year deal and if we are performing up to par next year, I'd forget all about Guardiola and extend his contract on a long term basis. I just had to comment on the two oft-repeated arguments in favor of him that I think are inaccurate.

The problem with this is how can you build a team and risk bringing youngsters through if your on a 1 year deal? they will be all about results so there would be less chance of managers risking the changes and playing youngsters! We are euro champs because of robbie and eddie and robbie played a youngster out of position and in the biggest game of all, take a bow lads and demand the job!!

I really doubt Pep could replicate the Barca playing style at another club and chasing him around will ultimately prove to be a mistake for whoever ends up with him.

He is not stupid, he would never fully replicate the Barca system here. Some elements though, like a floating four of Torres, Hazard, Hulk and Mata (total football from the 4 attacking players), the high pressing, more passes on the ground (not lumping up to a big striker) and more integrating of the youth are elements he will look at, I think.

The problem with this is how can you build a team and risk bringing youngsters through if your on a 1 year deal? they will be all about results so there would be less chance of managers risking the changes and playing youngsters! We are euro champs because of robbie and eddie and robbie played a youngster out of position and in the biggest game of all, take a bow lads and demand the job!!

Haven't we learned by now that the length of a manager's deal doesn't increase his job security? If Robbie had a 5 year deal and didn't perform, Roman wouldn't hesitate to sack him. I advocate a one year deal because we can't afford to keep owing managers money when they don't work out. If anything, your point about playing Bertrand out of position works against the argument that Robbie would be hesitant to play young players because he's worried about his job. It was obvious that he wouldn't have been retained had he lost in München and yet he still made a ballsy move and played an inexperienced player in an important role.

Edited by That Boy Brandinho

And so he should. A 1 year contract is practically a gun to his head, after the season he just delivered.

Maybe, maybe not. There is one manager in the world right now who performs year in and year out with a 1 year contract, who has the confidence to develop the team and himself under those circumstances. That man happen to be the manager who plays the most attractive and offensive football in the world, and that man happen to be jobless right now. And you know what? It also happen to be the man Roman supposedly has a man crush on.

Like Brandinho said, these 5 year contracts are f**ked up. If any board in the world wants to fire a manager, they'll do it regardless of their contract situation, especially Roman. If RDM snubs the 1 year deal it's either because the board won't give him 100% backing (for example in the transfer market) or if he feels the risk is too big. Pep KNOWS that he'll get a zillion offers even if he f**ks up here, RDM isn't in the same position, even though he won CL.

My guess is Pep for us next season, RDM to Lazio. Skeptical, but excited if true. At least I will back the manager and his choices as long as it's possible. I have a feeling that some of you will criticize everything Pep will do, no matter what results he gets.

Pep was on that 1 year rolling contract by his own choice, not Barcelona's board. Completely different situation. If RDM doesn't get 100% backing in the event that he is offered the job, he would be an idiot to accept it. You can't hamstring a manager and then act surprised when he fails.