Hulk Watch

mclovin83

I might get some stick for creating a new thread that has anything to do with Hulk after the last one turned into a bit of a joke but never the less I can't think of anywhere else to post this where it will be relevent and I wanted to get peoples thoughts.

After watching the Champions League on sky last night they did their usual round up of other games and focussed in particular on Hulk and his performace for Zenit.

Anyone who watched it will know that Ruud Gullit and Jamie Redknap were actually laughing as they reviewed his performance due to how bad it was (it was pretty bad) and whilst I would never base too much on one game alone it did sort of confirm my thoughts he was massively overpriced in the summer.

I will happily admit have not watched any other games of his this season so it may well be that he is setting the world alight over there but since the transfer saga ended it has all gone very quiet- has anyone who has seem more of him give a bit more of an insight?

Good to hear.

The old cliche of "dodged a bullet" definitely applies in the case of Hulk. So glad we left that one where it was.

Those were my exact thoughts last night.

I, like many others on this forum, never wanted us to spend anywhere near £45M on him and from what I saw last night we would have been very foolish to.

So glad that we didn't give in to Porto's quite clearly ridiculous valuation...

Zenit is a team without confidence , the only player who brings dept and movement in their game is Hulk. Offcourse in CL games 1 against 11 isnt easy, quality of defending is good and teams set their players with Hulk in mind.

Once the team plays better he will do so too.

That may be so but the game in question is a home tie against the mighty Anderlect, so when considering that a £45M price tag would suggest Hulk is of world class pedigree, I am not sure how much slack can be given.

It was only one game granted, and I am sure he will get better but when looking at what I watched last night he is a long way from a £45M quality player...

I haven't seen him play, but I sometimes read post-game reports and I can't remember reading that he's had a good game so far. It's usually crap or okay.

There have been some trouble at the club, so that might not have helped him, and it might also be that it takes awhile to settle, so maybe he will become great one day.

But so far I'm pleased we didn't sign him.

We got Oscar instead and I'm rather happy about that :good2:

He's been their best player in the CL so far. He played very well v Malaga and was unlucky not to score, keeper making super human saves and him hitting the crossbar and got a them back into the Milan game with a goal and an assist. If it wasn't for the own goal at the end which gave Milan the win he would have single handed got them a point at the very least.

I personally think Zenit are missing Danny big time, he's always been their star player in my view and he's the one who really controls everything for them.

Thread probably belongs in the non chelsea related section of the forum... Anyway I did want us to bring Hulk in, though not for anywhere near the price that was being floated around. I think his power and ability would have been great down our right wing. However with the way that our three genius midgets have been playing it looks like it may be for the best that we missed out. I do think that had he come to us he would have done well, he would have had quality all around him that he lacks at Zenit so wouldnt be trying to take the world on by himself.

I hear part of the problem with Zenit at the moment is a lot of their establshed players are not happy with how much more money Hulk and Witsel are earning than them. They are on roughly 3 times the pay packets and they don't think that is reflective to their abilities. Fair enough really and its causing some huge problems in their dressing room.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Hulk's lack of form for Zenit means that he'd be in poor form for us as well. Don't get me wrong, I wanted no part of him given Porto's extortionate transfer demands, but Zenit are a team in disarray. There's no internal harmony, Hulk must surely feel isolated and they're absolutely missing Danny. Not only is he the linchpin of their offense, but he's a fellow Portuguese speaker whose presence would probably go a long way to helping Hulk feel more comfortable. We were right not to buy Hulk, but what he's done so far at Zenit is not indicative of his quality in my view. He was and still is a very good player, albeit one that's quite overpriced.

I have heard that people at Zenit arent too happy. Its just one of those things, you buy a player with big hopes, it doesnt always work out. We've had a few of them in the past.

Not just in the past.

Would anyone swap him for Torres?

Zenit is a team without confidence , the only player who brings dept and movement in their game is Hulk. Offcourse in CL games 1 against 11 isnt easy, quality of defending is good and teams set their players with Hulk in mind.

Once the team plays better he will do so too.

I think this might be true, reports seem to say that he is taking on too much. He has done well there but he is also failing the team aspect. On the other hand this seemed to be a criticism of him in Porto as well. Food for thought anyways

I think some people are being very harsh. Everyone was saying last season that Torres wasnt getting the service and thats why he was sh*t. Well from what i hear its the same with Hulk. If you put Hulk in our team he would be blinding.

on Sky sports on wednesday night they were showing highlights of how crap Hulk was and they were all sitting laughing at him.

Guillet especially.

Blessing in disguise that we never got this guy

Tried to find the clips to add to the thread but couldn't, it was rather funny how they couldn't even get their words out as they were laughing at how bad he was so much.

Those three years at Porto where he achieved a greater than 2:1 goal ratio were clearly a fluke, thank the lord we got Moses instead.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he is not a good player.

For me, it could however potentially be another example of a player being sigend for a fee far in excess of their talent and the weight and expectations of this fee having a detremental effect on the players form.

Archived