Fabio Capello to the Rescue?

Celery1989

This is pure speculation on my part, but how would people feel about Capello as a stopgap for the rest of the season?

Obviously it's impossible to say whether Capello would want to manage Chelsea on an interim basis. Nevertheless, To me, this could make sense on a lot of levels:

1) Capello is currently the Russian national manager as Hiddink was when he managed us. If the Russian Football Federation had no problem with it then, hopefully negotiations would be as smooth this time round. However, the fact that there is a national competition in the summer might be the sticking point - When Guus took over, to my mind there was no WC/Euros that summer.

2) Capello and John Terry respect each other a lot which would help Capello in winning over the dressing room immensely. This seems to be the key to managing Chelsea nowadays - get the players on your side and they will fight with everything they have for you, or...well we're seeing the alternative scenario right now.

3) Capello is an excellent club manager. Whatever you feel regarding his management of the England team, he has delivered at for many massive clubs. Also, I feel that his disciplinarian style is exactly what we need right now to ensure that we finish in the top 4. Our defending is pathetic at times and Capello would certainly sort this out.

So who's with me?

If we're to have another interim the only one we should consider is Steve Holland. I hate fsw and want him as far away from our club as possible and as soon as possible, but another big expensive interim would be even more stupid than most or our boards decisions.

I would take Capello, temporarily or permanently. Thats assuming Jose/Guus returning is just a pipe dream.

Capello is the kind of "name" manager who has pedigree that would likely be safe from Roman's idiocy. He is well known and visible and that's what Roman cares most about, how box office the club appears to the media and public.

On the other side of the coin, he is a good manager that gets results where he goes. It wouldnt be the kind of long term solution we all want, but would probably bring us some success. 

Never been fond of his tactics, granted he normally got the job done. I would rather we went after Zeman.

Given the fragile predicament that the club is in at the moment, I'd be happy to play like Stoke if it ensured CL football for next season. Results should be our only concern, pretty football is irrelevant right now.

That Boy Brandinho, on 02 Feb 2013 - 14:42, said:

Highest win percentage in English history despite hardly managing during their golden era of football...

You hadnt heard, TBB? England are supposed to win every major tournament they enter, always, in style. The only reason they dont is wag interference, dodgy officials, foreign divers, and lone, selfish, scapegoat players singlehandedly cause defeats. At least thats what the press (who constantly sabotage the team) tell us.

Actually, its a shame that Roman cant buy the FA and run England. The owner, fans, and officials all seem like they would be a perfect fit. Unrealistic, hopelessly demanding, and blind to reality, from the top on down.

You hadnt heard, TBB? England are supposed to win every major tournament they enter, always, in style. The only reason they dont is wag interference, dodgy officials, foreign divers, and lone, selfish, scapegoat players singlehandedly cause defeats. At least thats what the press (who constantly sabotage the team) tell us.

Actually, its a shame that Roman cant buy the FA and run England. The owner, fans, and officials all seem like they would be a perfect fit. Unrealistic, hopelessly demanding, and blind to reality, from the top on down.

Funny how those people seem to think that only England is afflicted by problems like that. No other country has to compete with dodgy officials (ahem, Bakhramov in '66) or foreign divers (ahem, Ashley Young). 

I'd have Capello in the hot seat purely for the second reason you've given, Celery. Added to that, I very much like the fact that he says it how he sees it, as he did over JT's England captaincy. I feel we could do a lot worse than Capello and would welcome him when if it becomes clear that a return by Jose is completely and utterly out of the question.

If we're to have another interim the only one we should consider is Steve Holland. I hate fsw and want him as far away from our club as possible and as soon as possible, but another big expensive interim would be even more stupid than most or our boards decisions.

I'm inclined to go with this. End of the season we can re-evaluate, go all out to get the likes of Jose, Klopp or the mentalist that is Bielsa (not massively keen on Simeone even though he's very good). Then sack them half way through the season and then get Capello as next season's interim.

Only reason I'd take him until the end of the season is because of his defence of jt and that it means we have rid of the joker currently at the club. 

Never rated him as england manager but he may get the best out of our team if he has jt and lamps on side.

Go for it

Only reason I'd take him until the end of the season is because of his defence of jt and that it means we have rid of the joker currently at the club. 

Never rated him as england manager but he may get the best out of our team if he has jt and lamps on side.

Go for it

I think England did pretty well. Also he did good at clubs. His CV speaks for it. Didnt fluke it like FSW

I've sent Roman an ouija board to see if he can contact either Danny Blanchflower or Ian Porterfield to replace the FSW. I wanted Capello here before he managed England. As a club manager he gets the job done, wins things and takes no prisoners. Doubt it would happen though.

You think england did pretty well? Jesus christ

Well, he did have the best winning percentage of all England managers.

But looking past that since managing a nation team isn't the same as managing a team, he has done well at the clubs he's managed.

Archived