The transfer window

Uno

We are short still in the middle of the park as well as strikers BUT if you remember what Jose said in his first interview he said we are not in a hurry to win the league and that the current squad will be trained to be better and that we are trying to work long haul. I didn't believe a word of it in terms of what Roman's true expections are for the team. I still think we want to win everything and do well in the CL. For that the squad is 50/50 in my mind mainly because of the striker situation.

Jose has hinted at getting this team sorted for the future and I don't doubt he sees a lot of talent already here that will improve under his control, that said he will want to better last seasons rewards and I think would have liked to have got Rooney here to give us something more direct, I am quite confident that he can get something more from Torres than we've seen here so far (though my choice would have been to get shot of him) and I'm confident he can make Ba a more consistent player.

Lukaku in my mind is the most exciting prospect of the three and I'd like to see him claim the spot while the other two fight it out for second choice, from what I saw of him last season he's already easily on a par and he's now working under the ideal manager to help him become the best he can,

We have got goals all over the squad and I'm pretty sure we'll make a challenge, UTD have definitely lost an edge with Sir Alex gone and respect though I do have for Moyes, the rest of the premiership will have a lot less fear of them now, add to that the referee's might be less bias and the fact that Fergie always got something extra from his boys and I think if we end above City, we'll be champions.

One month today the transfer window shuts. Do you think we will sign any more players or will any of our current squad leave?

Can you be a bit more dramatic, the transfer window never just shuts, it always SLAMS shut! :biggrin:

Back to your question, I think Rooney will come in and either Ba or Torres will go.

I also think we'll loan out the usual raft of players.

Don't see any more major transfer activity. Jose's pretty much confirmed we're only looking at Rooney, he usually tells it as it is when asked, and I can't see that deal happening. It'll just be announcements where some of the youngsters go on loan now.

Van Ginkel, Essien, De Bruyne, Schurrle, Lukaku... I'm happy with that.

Edited by spadefx

Don't see any more major transfer activity. Jose's pretty much confirmed we're only looking at Rooney, he usually tells it as it is when asked, and I can't see that deal happening. It'll just be announcements where some of the youngsters go on loan now.

You forgot to mention Kalas.

I'm not ruling out a surprise. A midfielder or a striker, ideally

Certainly not trusting anything that Jose says anyway, not at this stage! We all know how he works.

Edited by bjd

You forgot to mention Kalas.

Good point, another decent additiion!

I'm not ruling out a surprise. A midfielder or a striker, ideally

Certainly not trusting anything that Jose says anyway, not at this stage! We all know how he works.

I actually think the opposite, he's seemed pretty brutally honest in these press conferences.

Obviously there's plenty of reasons why he'd be coy around transfers, but I just don't think that's been the case.

To me, he's interested in adding Rooney, nobody else. Regardless of whether that happens though, I think he's happy with the squad.

And Schwarzer

Lets just pretend I was only talking about midfield/attack in my post.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

And Perica..... but I think we can let you off with that one.

Let's not pretend nobody is a little disappointed so far...

With the triumphant return of Jose, the £100m Rafa said we were going to spend, the strong Falcao, Cavani, De Rossi, previously Isco rumours, Ronaldo/Di Maria/Jovetic thrown around for a while, a little more excitement was expected.

I think Rooney is nailed on, a CB or two is nailed on particularly if Luiz goes, a DM will be bought if value can be found. Luiz is 50/50 to leave, Torres is 80/20 to stay. Bruma will be brought in after FIFA make their decision on his contract if we can beat off competition for him.

I am a little disappointed we missed out on Falcao and Cavani. It strikes me as another Aguero situation that we will come to regret, but they both went off to richer clubs than us willing to pay much more, something which plenty of players have joined us for over the years, so it's hardly a surprise they chose the more money. 

I think we still need a quality striker (maybe Rooney) and a quality CB. Terry isn't getting any younger. Luiz is very inconsistant and Cahill - whilst decent - isn't exactly world class.

How can anyone be 'disappointed' ? Seriously. In a Summer when Jose returns we've added 5 players to the squad and perhaps more to come and people are .... disappointed?

Beggars belief.

We are so lucky as Cheslea fans, so lucky. Lets never take anything for granted.

Let's not pretend nobody is a little disappointed so far...

With the triumphant return of Jose, the £100m Rafa said we were going to spend, the strong Falcao, Cavani, De Rossi, previously Isco rumours, Ronaldo/Di Maria/Jovetic thrown around for a while, a little more excitement was expected.

I think Rooney is nailed on, a CB or two is nailed on particularly if Luiz goes, a DM will be bought if value can be found. Luiz is 50/50 to leave, Torres is 80/20 to stay. Bruma will be brought in after FIFA make their decision on his contract if we can beat off competition for him.

Nope, not disappointed one bit. We actually look a quality team again. 

After having he who shall not be names in charge last season I have nothing but a bright outlook on the team.

As for the £100m, if it were Euros and not Pounds Sterling I'm fairly sure the transfer fees of Schurrle, van Ginkel and a potential transfer of Rooney would be pretty close 100. 

Yes Falcao and Cavani rumours were tantalizing but £50m+ is a whole lot of money and I don't think the club wants to be investing that amount on one player anymore. The fact that both players moved to France says a lot, PSG and Monaco and the new money men in the game and will be throwing bigger money than anyone else in an attempt to fast track their progression and sometimes you just have to step back and let other clubs do that because like us and City found out, big money transfers aren't always what they are cracked up to be.  

Luiz, I'm fairly certain won't be going anywhere because we have no incentive to sell, he is our youngest and arguably best centre back and regardless of transfer fee involved we stand to gain nothing from selling him.

Since Roman took over the club we have never sold out best players and I see no reason for that to start now. 

Luiz is going nowhere. I think Robben was probably the only regular starter we've sold, and that was off the back of a lot of injuries, and a serious attitude problem. I doubt we'd sell under any circumstance, and he's said nothing to suggest he'd want to leave. Tabloid nonsense.

I'm the same as most, I'd love to see another quality CB, CM, Striker, but I'm more than happy with the ways in which the squad has improved over the summer. We've added some quality, some depth, some youngsters, and the manager everyone wanted. Anything more is surely just the cherry on top of an already massive cake.

I also don't think we've had a truly top manager since Ancelotti (possibly an unpopular opinion, but it's just my belief). Jose's tactically astute, popular with players and fans, and he'll have a positive effect on the team as a whole (not to mention the atmosphere at home will be back to its incredible best for the first time in a long time). This season will be great, I'm really not worried about additional signings.

Dissapointed?  Benitez has gone...if we had signed nobody but Joey Barton I'd still be in a state of euphoria

That state would not last long once he appeared out of the players tunnel.

I'm sure Mourinho will get the extra 10% out of a few players, who'll look like new signings. I think our squad is quality too, and would move up a gear with the addition of a very good striker. Rooney is my choice, he could be scintillating. I'll toss this out there too... Defoe? Even Bent could do a job... We need a finisher to put away the chances.