Why did we get rid of Sturridge?

Agent BGC

My first post here (I think), I've been a fan of the team for awhile. I'm from the USA and it's hard to get daily news about the league. I still don't know why we didn't keep Daniel Sturridge. I thought he had gobs of potential for Chelsea and he's showing it for Liverpool.

Was he not getting along with his Chelsea teammates or was he not a good fit with the midfielders? Or was Abramovich determined to make the Torres experiment work no matter what? Make sense of this whole thing for me, please?

Was he not getting along with his Chelsea teammates or was he not a good fit with the midfielders? Or was Abramovich determined to make the Torres experiment work no matter what? Make sense of this whole thing for me, please?

Take your pick from your own wisdom. I think you already had the answer/answers 

Didn`t get the chances he deserved under RDM and you can`t blame him for going. It was always ovbious that he was a class above Torres in terms of quality. Better than any striker we have in our squad right now, including Lukaku.

RdM never rated him and Torres was given far more chances up top to turn it around; so he got frustrated never playing and would have winded down his contract. If he had played when fit last year around September he might have gotten enough chances to take up the striker spot and that might have kept him around. But he only started one full match when Torres was banned in the Cup against United. Otherwise he was on the bench for about 14 matches at the start of the season and only had some substitute appearances. 

RdM never rated him and Torres was given far more chances up top to turn it around; so he got frustrated never playing and would have winded down his contract. If he had played when fit last year around September he might have gotten enough chances to take up the striker spot and that might have kept him around. But he only started one full match when Torres was banned in the Cup against United. Otherwise he was on the bench for about 14 matches at the start of the season and only had some substitute appearances. 

And was injured about 90% of the time.....

And was injured about 90% of the time.....

Except he wasn't...

He was injured for the first couple of games, then was fit and sat on the bench for a long run of games before being injured for Juventus - where he should have started. He got over that injury pretty quickly iirc.

Except he wasn't...

He was injured for the first couple of games, then was fit and sat on the bench for a long run of games before being injured for Juventus - where he should have started. He got over that injury pretty quickly iirc.

Take a look again mate

He was on the bench for 14 matches at the start of the season and started 2 others. He played around 360 minutes and 120 of those were in one match against United; 90 were against West Brom and the rest 150 minutes were scattered around the other 14 matches. 

Its all water under the bridge and been done to death but I still believe RDM felt pressured to get the best out of the other striker and it wasn't until the WBA gme when he brought Danny on when although not match sharp and a touch wasteful he linked up very well and made some great runs that Robbie saw wht a lot of us had been thinking (that he should be starting) it was a shame that when the Juventus match came, Robbie couldn't choose Danny and went with Hazard as a false nine...for mehe was sticking to his gut feeling that something different was needed and the result was disasterous.

I was just thinking the same thing while watching Liverpool vs Villa. That run, movement, and the finish were top notch. Only a raw goal scorer would finish like that, quickly thought out toe punt. The best striker we had at Chelsea and as someone has already said, better than Lukaku as well. 

I love this club with all my heart but like a family member you may love, it doesn't mean you are always proud of everything they do. Chelsea's handling of English talent is appalling. We will force McEachran away as well, a player who was looking so promising under Ancelotti. With all that said most English clubs policy with English players is a let down so we are not unique.

KTBFFH!

tbh by the time he left i don't think we could have kept him. he'd become frustrated at the club and nothing we could have done would have changed anything. 

the real question is why we bought him then refused to play him for 2 years. make no mistake, how he was treated in those 2 years are what cost us that player...not what came afterward. 

It's all guesswork what went on behind the scenes.

He's a good player, probably not the ideal type of striker for us, but certainly talented enough to have been allowed more of an opportunity to prove himself in his favoured position.

Robbie and AVB didn't fancy him there, for whatever reason, and I think that a move was pretty much inevitable by that point.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but I personally don't consider this a big loss for us. Others will, but I'm happy with Torres, Lukaku and Ba going forward.

The more pressing concern is why does everyone hate this Liverpool kit so much? Seeing it in action I quite like the argyle print on them.

Mark Clangerberg seemed to like their kit and got in the Christmas jumper spirit by handing out lots of random cards.

The more pressing concern is why does everyone hate this Liverpool kit so much? Seeing it in action I quite like the argyle print on them.

Because its them and they are c**tS. Lukaku will be better than him given time.

My first post here (I think), I've been a fan of the team for awhile. I'm from the USA and it's hard to get daily news about the league. I still don't know why we didn't keep Daniel Sturridge. I thought he had gobs of potential for Chelsea and he's showing it for Liverpool.

Because Torres was still number 1... 

It's ****ing awful. Last season's home kit didn't even look like a football kit. That disastrous kit they wore today is just... terrible. I like the top half but what is that ridiculous pattern on the bottom? It looked like someone threw paint at it.

Said it when he was being ignored by Ancelotti, was encouraged when AVB saw his effectiveness, and then said it again when he was ignored by RDM: we'll regret not fully-utilising his talents.

Chelsea fans attitude to him was ridiculous too; 80% were dismissive of him for the now infamous 'selfishness' which was exaggerated. Sturridge would link up with Hazard Oscar and Mata far more impressively than anyone we have at the moment.

Said it when he was being ignored by Ancelotti, was encouraged when AVB saw his effectiveness, and then said it again when he was ignored by RDM: we'll regret not fully-utilising his talents.

Chelsea fans attitude to him was ridiculous too; 80% were dismissive of him for the now infamous 'selfishness' which was exaggerated. Sturridge would link up with Hazard Oscar and Mata far more impressively than anyone we have at the moment.

I agree with this, i was incredibly pissed at the fans that booed him off the pitch when he was substituted once. This greedy tag he got was over the top, maybe fans just got so used to or strikers not shooting and when they finally seen one that took more than 3 shots a game they labelled it greedy.

Some players you just hate seeing leave the club, Sturridge is one of them, just like Arjen Robben and Joe Cole.

Quite clearly RDM got pressured from the forces above to start Torres over Sturridge, who understandably got frustrated at getting no game time because an inferior player was the owner's play toy and there was nothing he could really do to force his way into the team.

This compounded when the little game time he did get, he felt pressured to make a real impact which negatively effected his game and led to him getting labelled as a selfish player who always did too much.

So he wanted to leave to get some first team football and the FSW let him go and brought in Ba who hasn't been great either.

Archived