British comedies

soldiergirl84

I also think that Peep Show is quite possibly the greatest comedy ever made, full stop! Endlessly quotable.

Got to agree, if you know your current affairs it is just dynamite as all of us are either a Jez or a Mark.

I have no problems watching it on repeat due to how good the dialogue is.

The show is just outrageous, if not contagious.

I like many of the ones already mentioned - but going back yonks, I loved Yes Minister/Prime Minister - the script is so good - Nigel Hawthorne is sublime!  More recently, I thought Outnumbered was very funny if you were a parent.  And (slightly more street cred!) loved the IT Crowd.

The Other One (BBC)

1977-1979

Richard Briers

Michael Gambon

The first series is brilliant, the second series tails off a bit, but it's still great.

It's on youtube, hang on......Both series are on this link.

Catchphrases:

"Ooh I do feel better after a wash"

"You know me Brian, Lone Wolf"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2rHnujB9gw&list=PL21A3F2E772D2464A

For older stuff, it has to be Python, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, Comic Strip presents & Blackadder.

Loved Only Fools & Horses but I think the fact it has been repeated so often and ran too long, means I don't look at it as fondly as some of the other classics.

More recent stuff I've enjoyed is The Office, Extra's. The Inbetweeners, Pete vs Life, Lead Baloon, Plus One, Not Going Out and more recently I thought Man Down & Drifters were both really good.

There seems to be a lot of love for Green Wing here, I watched a couple of episodes a long time ago and it didn't really grab me. I think it might be due a revisit.

@ForeverCarefree - I thought about including Black Books but I don't think I could consider it one of my all time favourites, see also Spaced, 15 Stories High, Allen Partridge, Nightingales.

There seems to be a lot of love for Green Wing here, I watched a couple of episodes a long time ago and it didn't really grab me. I think it might be due a revisit.

@ForeverCarefree - I thought about including Black Books but I don't think I could consider it one of my all time favourites, see also Spaced, 15 Stories High, Allen Partridge, Nightingales.

I agree with you on Green Wing. I saw a few episodes when it originally aired but wasn't impressed. It was only when someone at university had it on dvd that I decided to give it another go- loved it. You just have to watch about 6 episodes to "get it". It certainly is different to other comedies out there, with its "sped-up" style. It works for the most part though.

As moi, bluebur &mactheknife have pointed out, Peep Show is the best comedy ever. Can't wait to watch the final season.

Can we start a thread where we talk about our favorite moments, episodes, characters of Peep Show? Everything from Super Hans to Johnson to Big Suze to the Quantocks and the Turkey dog! 

Also the Mitchell and Web Look is another favorite of mine, for obvious reasons.

I hear it wasn't widely popular in the UK, but my friends and I really enjoyed Life's Too Short.

Surprised Red Dwarf not mentioned, thought that was brilliant, I have seen a few Grant and Naylor comedies in the 90's at the theatre and comedy store they are superb writers.

...and Phoenix Nights I thought was excellent too.

Archived