Half-term report

Davey Baby

We're halfway through folks, with the business end still to come, and the business end is where Jose traditionally struts his stuff.

The big games? We've come through unscathed, drawing against our direct rivals away and beating them at home, that is excluding Everton, who I do not consider a direct rival.

Most of the best teams we've played away from home, as well as tough fixtures at places like Newcastle and Sunderland. Our away games in the second-half of the season are a lot easier, City and Liverpool apart, but of course it means nothing if you can't win the games.

The window? Can't come soon enough. I don't think we'll get a striker but I suspect we'll bring in another body in midfield, and that will help us immensely. The injury to Van Ginkel has hurt us, IMO. I think he was one Jose liked.

We've not been great but we've been grinding out wins. We just need to improve our away form. A work in progress, yes, but the signs are encouraging. Players like Eto'o and Willian are slowly adapting. Jose has instilled a different mentality, you can see that. Despite our inconsistency we're much more consistent. I hope that makes sense.

Jose? Surprised a few of us with some of his decisions but they're being vindicated by virtue of our league position. Good few years since we reached the halfway mark with 40 points. 

Don't forget, Jose knows how to clinch a deal, unlike Moyes and Pelligrini who have never clinched a deal, and Wenger, who has plain forgotten. Having said that, it looks like Pelligrini or Moyes will win the LC, and that will help their confidence.

Going to be interesting.

The squad ..

Well, Cech needs to up his game IMO, Schwarzer has looked very able back-up. Dave has impressed, Cahill is getting better but Terry remains our best defender. Not been a great season for Luiz so far, nor Ashley, who looks a pale shadow of his former self. Midfield? A problem department as we all know. Mikel has frustrated, as usual, Lampard is slowly getting better, and Ramires remains the pick, an absolutely key player. Hazard has been our best player, Oscar has had a very good season, and Willian impresses me and is slowly adapting and becoming more effective. The strikers? Eto'o has been the pick for me and like Willian is getting more accustomed to the Prem. It's a problem position but I think we'll make do until the season's end, unless a top striker becomes available but I don't see that happening. If it does, it changes a lot, it enhances our chances a great deal, but it has to be the right signing. 

Away from home, we've played Utd, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton, Tottenham, Arsenal, Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich. The fact that we've played most of our hardest away games already could be key to our season. I still make City favourites and I still think there's at least four teams in it, but I'm more optimistic than I have been all season. 

CL will be a factor of course, as will FA Cup, but the Jose factor might prove more important than anything.

What do you guys think .. ? Are you happy? Are you sad? Happy new year to all of you.

Good stuff Davey.

The need for a new midfielder is furthered by the fact that Essien has been absolutely dire when given the chance (apart from the Arsenal COC game).

Hazard, Oscar, Terry & Azpilicueta have been excellent all season.

We all love Mata, but today's match showed why he's not playing. Willian and Oscar work their nuts off and get stuck in, Hazard is untouchable. 

Happy with the 1st half of the season, it's going to be a 2 horse race and I like almost everyone consider City to be favourites. Arsenal won't win anything with that train wreck of a goalie and the scousers are a 1 man team, again.

The amount of stick Jose has had on here has been utterly ridiculous and it is great to see him proving all of the fairweather kneejerkers wrong.

Agree pretty much what both of you have said.

I am personally delighted that with half the season gone, we are half way towards my personal points target of 80 points.

I agree on the Mata notion aswell, today really showed why he isn't in the team. It's a shame, but at this current moment, Mourinho is being fully vindicated.

The fixture list looks more favourable, especially our last 7 games. But we have come unstuck in games we really felt we shouldn't have.

What I'm happy about is that we have our mojo back and it's enjoyable watching a team that has a clear idea what direction they heading towards. The future looks very good at the moment and I can honestly take or leave success this year, though it is firmly in our hands.

Good summary Davey and one I'd have made even earlier, I've never really doubted Jose was getting a gradual response from players and learning more about them as we stuttered while getting inside their heads to build the confidence any team would need going one down to a good side in three minutes.

I still don't know if it will lead to any silverware this season and for me that makes little difference as I feel much easier knowing we're on the right track.

This season looks one of the toughest premier seasons ever and if we did happen to outstay City I think the word Special will need Jose's face beside it in the dictionary.

So happy to see a gradual change in attitude in the squad and although we all love flair players, its great to see the boys working their nuts off for the manager, who'd have thought Hazard could be so effective going forward and equally great at tracking back? and Willian after looking an unnecessary signing is now a

really important player.

Well happy so far and one or two signings (if they are the right ones) would make us equal squad wise with city, the manager would tip the scales in our favour.

Thought he played the media games perfectly before this match. Pulled a faux-high-horse on Rodgers and Suarez, totally diffusing the underdog/victim mentality that Liverpool have been thriving on. He did the same against Arsenal too by refusing to engage Wenger.

Half term report

General issues:

- Lack of control of games: in attack, we're still too reliant on our players' individual ability and creativity. There's no evidence of a structured plan to break down defenses; we rely too much on each individual attacker to provide pinpoint passes/crosses instead of an organised and coordinated passing sequence to create good-quality chances. The Arsenal game was the first time we "controlled" a game for large periods of time in that Arsenal were limited to very few chances and their first shot on target came after 80 minutes. Our organisation and speed on the counter-attack, coupled with aggressive pressing and blocking in midfield caused them to play much more conservatively, blunting their attack. Of note were the lack of midfielders' runs into the box, simply because they could not afford to lose numbers because our midfield were getting the ball to Hazard and Willian in dangerous areas. It was a good example of synergy between attack and defense; the problem is it's easier against the top teams who are inclined to attack, but we are woeful at implementing the strategy against the lesser lights of the league.

- Plenty of chances created yet few shots on target: I'll go into this in detail a bit later once I have some decent statistics, but the overall trend is that we are creating plenty of chances but our players are either hashing their shots or missing the chances completely. It seems to be a combination of low % shooting chances (outside the box, crosses, set-pieces) which suggest the players are not coordinating/planning attacks as well as they should be, as well as a lack of composure from the strikers in particular who are not getting shots off. 

- Defensive organisation in midfield: No use hiding it, but Ivanovic has had a pretty poor season to date. Letting Suarez brush him aside and get in front of him for the first goal against Liverpool was the latest in a litany of mistakes that if it were under Luiz or Cahill's name, would be cause for their execution. Ivanovic's chief problem this season is that he lacks the speed of foot and mind to get back into position after bursting upfield, and making him more defensive only serves to push the problem to the other end as without his wide runs the team is unable to retain possession. We could replace him with Azpilicueta, of course, but early season performances indicated that Ashley Cole's similar issues would merely shift the same problem to the left side.

In my book, individual mistakes are something that you can't really control as a coach, however, you can create the conditions in which their risk and effect can be minimised. So whenever Ivanovic misses a challenge or fails to get back in time to mark a player, I don't necessarily feel it's helpful to single him out for blame. No goal occurs in absolute isolation and there is a series of related events that lead up to the moment of truth. So if we can't prevent the individual mistakes, what can we do about the events that precede it? I've noticed a lot of the goals that Ivanovic has been "responsible" for have come because wingers on his side have had far too much time and space. The first and most obvious solution is to make sure that the forwards on that side track their man. The often less-considered option is cutting the supply from the opponent's midfield to that position. 

Our defensive organisation in midfield has ranged from average to poor to non-existent. The pressing and closing down in midfield at times seems like there is no coordination in it. Ramires or Oscar often chase their man with a lot of effort, but their teammates appear to stand idly by and rely on Ramires/Oscar to make a successful tackle. Given that 3-4 successful tackles a match is considered above average, that is a very risky strategy.

If could develop our organisation in midfield, and get our players to coordinate their defending instead of mindless chasing, we would improve ten-fold. Again looking at the Arsenal game, our midfield's coordination funnelled their play where we wanted to go (out wide, where Arsenal are zero threat to us) and when we wanted them to go there. It was as if we had them on a string. Better coordination in midfield is the key to us both retaining possession better- midfielders should no longer have to make long passes to forwards in static positions or with their back to goal- and also controlling where and when our opponents get the ball. Some German teams adopt an interesting strategy where they appear to funnel the play to the wide areas, then constrict the space by forcing the opponent to play basically on the sideline. To me it's a great example of defense and attack in synergy; forcing the opposition's attackers into areas where they can't do much damage unless they overload, and if they do that they run the risk of leaving plenty of space for the talented attacking midfielders right through the centre.

I agree with absolutely everyone that has said we lack a top-class defensive midfielder, but for me that's a band-aid solution to a deeper problem. The sheer talent and natural game of a De Rossi or Toure or whoever would definitely paper over the systemic cracks every now and then but to win a league and compete for the title consistently we need a better plan than relying on players to be in form.

Would be lying if i said i've been delighted with the season so far maybe that was down to my expectations coming into this season but i expected more.We are in a great position in the league despite not playing great. I've been disappointed in the football we have played this season,alot of poor games and being inconsistent and having striker issues.Also Mata not playing more and KDB not getting many games and of course Lukaku not being here have frustrated me.I haven't agreed with Jose team selections quite a few times,Azpi not playing right back being one of them.

However today was our best performance of the season,played some nice football and we have a very good chance of winning the league especially as we have the best manager in the league and a very good squad.Hopefully some additions in January can improve us some more and we can go on and win the league.

It's great having Jose back, isn't it ... Just love the man's swagger ... plus u just know it will come right in the end. However, it's not been all plain sailing, so far as our main man settles back into the Prem. I think some of the team selections have held us back slightly, for example Jose's over-loyalty to Lamps who has struggled, at times with lack of pace. Essien, another faded legend shouldn't be picked. Allowing Lukaku out on loan has lost us goals & points IMO. Luiz & Mata should be played more - still 2 of our very best players, for me. Yet we find ourselves just 2 points behind the leaders. If we inject pace in the DM positions & overhaul the strike force during the Summer our squad can match City's. I think we easily have the best Manager. I also think Ivan should be rotated with Dave more. I guess arguably Mikel doesn't do a lot wrong but for me he is just too slow choosing the safest passing option all of the time ...

Thought he played the media games perfectly before this match. Pulled a faux-high-horse on Rodgers and Suarez, totally diffusing the underdog/victim mentality that Liverpool have been thriving on. He did the same against Arsenal too by refusing to engage Wenger.

Half term report

General issues:

- Lack of control of games: in attack, we're still too reliant on our players' individual ability and creativity. There's no evidence of a structured plan to break down defenses; we rely too much on each individual attacker to provide pinpoint passes/crosses instead of an organised and coordinated passing sequence to create good-quality chances. The Arsenal game was the first time we "controlled" a game for large periods of time in that Arsenal were limited to very few chances and their first shot on target came after 80 minutes. Our organisation and speed on the counter-attack, coupled with aggressive pressing and blocking in midfield caused them to play much more conservatively, blunting their attack. Of note were the lack of midfielders' runs into the box, simply because they could not afford to lose numbers because our midfield were getting the ball to Hazard and Willian in dangerous areas. It was a good example of synergy between attack and defense; the problem is it's easier against the top teams who are inclined to attack, but we are woeful at implementing the strategy against the lesser lights of the league.

- Plenty of chances created yet few shots on target: I'll go into this in detail a bit later once I have some decent statistics, but the overall trend is that we are creating plenty of chances but our players are either hashing their shots or missing the chances completely. It seems to be a combination of low % shooting chances (outside the box, crosses, set-pieces) which suggest the players are not coordinating/planning attacks as well as they should be, as well as a lack of composure from the strikers in particular who are not getting shots off. 

- Defensive organisation in midfield: No use hiding it, but Ivanovic has had a pretty poor season to date. Letting Suarez brush him aside and get in front of him for the first goal against Liverpool was the latest in a litany of mistakes that if it were under Luiz or Cahill's name, would be cause for their execution. Ivanovic's chief problem this season is that he lacks the speed of foot and mind to get back into position after bursting upfield, and making him more defensive only serves to push the problem to the other end as without his wide runs the team is unable to retain possession. We could replace him with Azpilicueta, of course, but early season performances indicated that Ashley Cole's similar issues would merely shift the same problem to the left side.

In my book, individual mistakes are something that you can't really control as a coach, however, you can create the conditions in which their risk and effect can be minimised. So whenever Ivanovic misses a challenge or fails to get back in time to mark a player, I don't necessarily feel it's helpful to single him out for blame. No goal occurs in absolute isolation and there is a series of related events that lead up to the moment of truth. So if we can't prevent the individual mistakes, what can we do about the events that precede it? I've noticed a lot of the goals that Ivanovic has been "responsible" for have come because wingers on his side have had far too much time and space. The first and most obvious solution is to make sure that the forwards on that side track their man. The often less-considered option is cutting the supply from the opponent's midfield to that position. 

Our defensive organisation in midfield has ranged from average to poor to non-existent. The pressing and closing down in midfield at times seems like there is no coordination in it. Ramires or Oscar often chase their man with a lot of effort, but their teammates appear to stand idly by and rely on Ramires/Oscar to make a successful tackle. Given that 3-4 successful tackles a match is considered above average, that is a very risky strategy.

If could develop our organisation in midfield, and get our players to coordinate their defending instead of mindless chasing, we would improve ten-fold. Again looking at the Arsenal game, our midfield's coordination funnelled their play where we wanted to go (out wide, where Arsenal are zero threat to us) and when we wanted them to go there. It was as if we had them on a string. Better coordination in midfield is the key to us both retaining possession better- midfielders should no longer have to make long passes to forwards in static positions or with their back to goal- and also controlling where and when our opponents get the ball. Some German teams adopt an interesting strategy where they appear to funnel the play to the wide areas, then constrict the space by forcing the opponent to play basically on the sideline. To me it's a great example of defense and attack in synergy; forcing the opposition's attackers into areas where they can't do much damage unless they overload, and if they do that they run the risk of leaving plenty of space for the talented attacking midfielders right through the centre.

I agree with absolutely everyone that has said we lack a top-class defensive midfielder, but for me that's a band-aid solution to a deeper problem. The sheer talent and natural game of a De Rossi or Toure or whoever would definitely paper over the systemic cracks every now and then but to win a league and compete for the title consistently we need a better plan than relying on players to be in form.

I think it's fair to say that we don't have a comprehensive structure. But that has never really been Mourinho's game. He is more about exceptional man management to get the best out of good players plus the ability to be able to be bold enough to make a change to suit the situation either before or during the match. Luiz last night being a good example, picked a guy who feeds on the energy of the derby, he provided movement off the ball and creativity that wouldn't have occured if Mikel or Essien had started. He was crucial when we went behind.

I'm still unsure he has the team he wants just yet. We certainly have players capable of playing that really direct high energy style he favours, but I think given we had started to go the other way building around smaller technical players there is work to be done from a squad perspective.

I am still yet to be convinced by the lack of appearances from Mata who is in my view still (depsite Hazard's brilliance) the best player at the club. We have complained about our inability to put teams away where in my view, Mata over the past two seasons has been the guy to do just that for us. 

But at the same time for a team that is still on the whole young, you can't argue with being 2 points off top as we turn for home. 

.............................a whole load of very insightful analysis......................................

In my book, individual mistakes are something that you can't really control as a coach, however, you can create the conditions in which their risk and effect can be minimised. So whenever (player X) misses a challenge or fails to get back in time to mark a player, I don't necessarily feel it's helpful to single him out for blame. No goal occurs in absolute isolation and there is a series of related events that lead up to the moment of truth

....................................................a lot of other very sensible stuff

Sydney, can I just cut and paste this part into the Mikel thread, the Luiz thread and every matchday thread we ever have, in the hopes that it deters at least one poster from finding a "mistake" by a single player 20 minutes before we concede that they, in their strangely blinkered view, can trace directly to that concession?

40 points at there half way mark is very good, we could have had more had we not given up some easy points,  but we are improving and that is very encouraging.

We will be a scary side once we truly hit form.

Great to have Jose back, can't say it enough really.

Not going to make any bold predictions, because this year it is so tight that the favourite changes every week, but you'd be a fool to bet against Jose :) 

40 points at there half way mark is very good, we could have had more had we not given up some easy points,  but we are improving and that is very encouraging.

We will be a scary side once we truly hit form.

Great to have Jose back, can't say it enough really.

Not going to make any bold predictions, because this year it is so tight that the favourite changes every week, but you'd be a fool to bet against Jose :) 

Zola, the last thing we want is you predicting Chelsea to win the league!

We all know how that will end...

I'm very happy with the position we are in atm, considering City and Arsenal have more away games left against the "top" teams. We still need to improve against the bottom half teams though. it's getting a bit frustrating that we can't seem to kill games and our poor set piece defending is something that have lost us enough points already.

Our attacking play have been ok against the top teams, but whenever we play against teams who stay compact we struggle. Usually we are dependant on Hazard or one of our other attacking midfielders to create something out of nothing, but without width and support from our left back(Azpilicueta) & right back (Ivanovic), they usually end up in 1 vs 2-3 situations. I don't see A.Cole staying next season, so hopefully we can get someone to replace him in the summer, who also knows how to attack. Azpilicueta is alot better on the right, but I wouldn't mind having a second wing back option there as well and move Ivanovic into central defence permanently. I'm sure our attacking play would Improve with a couple of true attacking wing backs against teams who "park the buss", but I can also see alot of room for improvement with a worldclass CM+striker as well.

I think it's fair to say that we don't have a comprehensive structure. But that has never really been Mourinho's game. He is more about exceptional man management to get the best out of good players plus the ability to be able to be bold enough to make a change to suit the situation either before or during the match. Luiz last night being a good example, picked a guy who feeds on the energy of the derby, he provided movement off the ball and creativity that wouldn't have occured if Mikel or Essien had started. He was crucial when we went behind.

I'm still unsure he has the team he wants just yet. We certainly have players capable of playing that really direct high energy style he favours, but I think given we had started to go the other way building around smaller technical players there is work to be done from a squad perspective.

I am still yet to be convinced by the lack of appearances from Mata who is in my view still (depsite Hazard's brilliance) the best player at the club. We have complained about our inability to put teams away where in my view, Mata over the past two seasons has been the guy to do just that for us. 

But at the same time for a team that is still on the whole young, you can't argue with being 2 points off top as we turn for home. 

if you had someone like yaya toure i would guess JM would be more than happy to play mata a lot more!

This I'm not so sure on. I think a central midfielder is what's missing from so much of our game and Luiz kind of showed that with his performance, imagine what an actual midfielder could do. When it comes to our pressing, neither Mikel nor Lampard can keep up. With an injection of pace like Luiz gave us into our passing and the pressing, we just need the ability to slow things down when we need to and we will be so much stronger. 

I think a midfielder is more important than a striker for that reason. 

We are doing well, but searching for that 3rd goal in games that would ease my stress levels.

Your doing well to get to 40 points without a striker and ageing back four. I think your not ruthless enough which has hurt you away from home at likes of stoke, sunderland in league cup and everton away. If you get  a top striker in jan, your be pretty hard to stop. Got such great manager who gives you winning mentality.

games this month are key

southampton away=tough but winneable

hull aeway= you should win this though bruce done ok job their

man united home= tough against top six team but at home in big games your look very strong

west ham home-= should win this with ease. very poor west haam team

I think the season so far has been better than expected. 

Our main problems at this time for me are:

1) Continuity: Mourinho is still trying to figure out his top 11. He needs to come up with a team that he would play in a CL final for example and stick to that team more or less while making some changes here and there depending on the competition we are in and who we are playing. Players should get comfortable playing one position with certain players next to them the can grow with. Wanna see more from Schurrle. He has more to offer...

2) Finishing -- Obvious problem, for all the intricacy and danger of our possession game it's often all for nothing. Whether it's a striker problem or a striker supply problem it needs to be solved or we will continue losing and drawing games we shouldn't. What I do know is that every time Suarez was on the ball yesterday it seems danger followed. He was also hard to dispossess. A striker that fits the mold of our midfield is needed. We also need to improve on our final pass. We seem to do everything right and then panic on our final ball.

3) Our deep midfielders need to improve. Lampard is what he is and I'm happy to get what we are getting from him at this point. Ramires has great qualities but passing isn't one of them. He hurts our attack in a lot of ways and only adds to it on occasions when he makes a burst forward using his speed through the middle which only happens occasionally. Of course we benefit greatly from his defensive energy. Hard to take him off the field, so we will need a midfielder next to him that is very strong in keeping possession and distribution. Matic is that player as his Alonso but he is too old for this group. David Luiz provided that yesterday but Mourinho has said he is strictly a CB. Also Luiz is terrible at defending players in possession of the ball, he needs to work on moving his feet so I don't think he would excel there on a permanent basis. What he did for us yesterday was on the attack mainly, distributing and finding key passes. Solution; get a deep central mid that can make us more dominant in the middle. Wish Mikel would be given more of a chance because he is a much better player than what we see.

4) I'd like to see better attacking play from our RB and LB. Cole is almost gone and Azpi is limited on the left. Luke Shaw would be a massive buy for Chelsea and would make us a better team instantly, at least from an attacking perspective. Azpi goes to the right side and competes with Ivan.

5) We have been terrible defending set plays. I'm not sure what the problem is when you have Terry, Ivan and Cahill who are all dominant in the air. Is Cech not being aggressive enough? Needs to be solved...

6) Just throwing this out there, but is it possible that Hazard should be played in the #10 position? His skill and quickness would be even more magnified in that spot and being in a free role would make him so much harder to account for. Hazard may never reach his max potential so long as he is at Chelsea and is used as a winger. We all know Oscar is going anywhere anytime soon.

Lots of good things of course, we are dominating possession much more than I thought a Mourinho team would, Terry is in great form (stupid England FA) Lampard is about as good as you could expect, Willian, Oscar, Hazard are in great form and we have tightened up our defense as of late. 

If we can buy a striker, midfielder and Shaw in January this squad can win multiple trophies. Either way, future looks bright. 

This I'm not so sure on. I think a central midfielder is what's missing from so much of our game and Luiz kind of showed that with his performance, imagine what an actual midfielder could do. When it comes to our pressing, neither Mikel nor Lampard can keep up. With an injection of pace like Luiz gave us into our passing and the pressing, we just need the ability to slow things down when we need to and we will be so much stronger. 

I think a midfielder is more important than a striker for that reason. 

I think you misunderstood my comparison, I wasn't intending to say that a midfielder is more necessary. I agree with you to an extent but I think both are equally important and not mutually exclusive, and in both positions, buying better players will improve us a lot but only to the extent that their individual ability will mask the tactical issues underneath. 

The major problem is getting one goal up then going too defensive, we try and kill the game with a swift counter but then concede ourselves.

We are also defending poorly at set pieces. When Mata doesn't play set piece delivery is poor.

On the other hand having Schurle and Willian has filled out the team and Dave has become our best defender or close to it at any rate.

We will have to do something in the window because our major competitors will also be tempted to invest further in what is shaping up as a great season from the neutrals pov.

City are favorites but not by much. With a bit of luck we might nick the season

I think you misunderstood my comparison, I wasn't intending to say that a midfielder is more necessary. I agree with you to an extent but I think both are equally important and not mutually exclusive, and in both positions, buying better players will improve us a lot but only to the extent that their individual ability will mask the tactical issues underneath. 

My point was more that I feel the tactical issues aren't really tactical issues, it's more down to the players not fitting. I may well be wrong here, but that's the way I see it, although you're more knowledgeable on tactics.

I think Loz used to do this - here's a half-term report from the MOTM polls:

Number of MOTM awards:

1st - Hazard, Oscar and Torres all tied on four
4th - Ramires and Willian tied on three

In terms of individual votes:

1st - Torres (212)
2nd - Hazard (184)
3rd - Oscar (135)
4th - Terry (109)
5th - Willian (101)

By 'points' (3 for coming 1st, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd)

1st - Hazard (22)
2nd - Oscar (20)
3rd - Willian (19)
4th - Ramires (13)
5th - Torres (12)

Bonus trivia:

Most votes in a single game:

Torres - 83 (vs Man City)
Hazard - 62 (vs Sunderland)
Torres - 56 (vs Schalke)
Terry - 45 (vs Man Utd)
Hazard - 44 (vs Liverpool)

The game with the highest number of votes was the opener against Hull with 92.

Torres has the most votes in Champions League matches, but he, Willian, Oscar, Ramires, Luiz and Cech all have one CL MOTM award.

Hazard is our best-rated player in Premier League matches with 4 MOTM awards and 167 votes.

Willian was our best-rated player in League Cup matches, with 2 MOTM awards and the most votes (35).

Archived