Patrick Bamford Article

fester

He's looked really good in League 1 and the Championship, but as we've seen with Lukaku, not even two good seasons in the Prem are enough to convince the club of your credentials.

He's obviously a bright bloke, and I hope he'll never regret turning down that Harvard scholarship.

It's easy to talk up the idea of bringing through youth and for Bamford to be given the role of 3rd choice striker would be a huge opportunity for him and big step forward by the club in trying to make the academy work.  

My cynicism though means I can't see it, Mourinho has bemoaned his strikers all season is he really going to entrust a 20 year old with no Premier League experience given his apparent reluctance to play Lukaku?

Bamford is clearly a talented player though and it would be great to see an English lad make his name at the club. 

Not playing Lukaku this season only means that Jose isn't convinced by Lukaku, it doesn't necesarily mean that he doesn't like any young players. Lukaku has a certain style of playing and certain characteristics that the management might feel won't fit with our first team at the moment.

I know we don't give youth a chance and I wish we would but I also get really bored of people making out Lukaku would put right all that's wrong at the club. It's possible the management we have know what they're doing (it's also possible they've got it wrong!).

Wonder if his Harvard offer was a sports scholarship? More likely than an academic one. Strange that I actually get excited by the lads exam results but it draws a comparison with Frank Lampard which is only a good thing - a guy with brains, a bit of public school arrogance but who is down to earth and hard working, much as Frank has often been described, has a good chance of doing well!

It seems that as well as being a talented young player he's also quite bright and has a fantastic attitude, so I really hope we do give him a proper shot in the premiership.

It's easy to talk up the idea of bringing through youth and for Bamford to be given the role of 3rd choice striker would be a huge opportunity for him and big step forward by the club in trying to make the academy work.  

My cynicism though means I can't see it, Mourinho has bemoaned his strikers all season is he really going to entrust a 20 year old with no Premier League experience given his apparent reluctance to play Lukaku?

Bamford is clearly a talented player though and it would be great to see an English lad make his name at the club. 

I'm not sure it's fair to say Mourinho had/has a reluctance to play Lukaku, if Lukaku had been available for us then I'm sure he would have gotten his fair share of games. I seem to remember Lukaku getting a few games in pre-season before Mourinho conceeded to Lukaku's request for another loan move.

Wonder if his Harvard offer was a sports scholarship? More likely than an academic one. Strange that I actually get excited by the lads exam results but it draws a comparison with Frank Lampard which is only a good thing - a guy with brains, a bit of public school arrogance but who is down to earth and hard working, much as Frank has often been described, has a good chance of doing well!

That's what I thought, his exam results were quite good but I'd be very surprised if they were enough on their own for a Harvard scholarship.

It seems that as well as being a talented young player he's also quite bright and has a fantastic attitude, so I really hope we do give him a proper shot in the premiership.

I'm not sure it's fair to say Mourinho had/has a reluctance to play Lukaku, if Lukaku had been available for us then I'm sure he would have gotten his fair share of games. I seem to remember Lukaku getting a few games in pre-season before Mourinho conceeded to Lukaku's request for another loan move.

He didn't seem keen to play him though, Hull at home it was Torres then Villa it was Ba Utd it was Schurrle Bayern it was Torres.

He didn't seem keen to play him though, Hull at home it was Torres then Villa it was Ba Utd it was Schurrle Bayern it was Torres.

That's a very small sample size but he did come on as a sub in three out of the four matches you mentioned.

Schurrle starting at Old Trafford was the earliest indication that Mourinho wasn't satisfied with his striking options in my opinion. 

I don't want to go down the whole "Jose doesn't play youth players" route but let's be honest considering all the noise he has made about his striking options this year can you honestly see him going into the following season with a player with no Premier League experience as his 3rd choice? 

It could well be that Bamford's attitude and personality is a lot more appealing to Jose than Lukaku who seemed to wave the white flag and want out before the transfer window closed so perhaps Mourinho's apparent indifference to Lukaku is based on more than just ability. 

I be all for sending him out on loan to a Premier League club but if he were to be on our bench he may very well get his chance and snatch it. Look at players for other clubs like Sterling when he came through at Liverpool he got games because Downing was a disapointment so one bad injury to a player or piss poor form Bamford may get a chance.

That's what I thought, his exam results were quite good but I'd be very surprised if they were enough on their own for a Harvard scholarship.

I don't think even top marks in every subject would be enough to get a Harvard Scholarship, you'd also need to show you've come from a disadvantaged background or overcome some massive obstacles in your life if you are anything short of a prodigy.

I don't think even top marks in every subject would be enough to get a Harvard Scholarship, you'd also need to show you've come from a disadvantaged background or overcome some massive obstacles in your life if you are anything short of a prodigy.

Seeing as he went to private school, and his dad was best mates with the millionaire Forest chairman, I doubt he'd have met the 'disadvantaged background' criteria.

I'd love to see him given a fair crack. Surely he can play in the early stages of the league / fa cup and bled into the latter stages of games where we are cruising??

Trouble is there we do not play Arsenal or Spurs that often.  :wink:

I'd be happy with Bamford coming in as third choice next season. A goal every other game, even at championship level is great for a youth player and I hear he's been really good as an impact sub. 

Hoping he gets to start on Saturday, would like to see how he copes in the big games.

Archived