Who has the best chance of breaking into the first team?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Well put.

Thought it was a fitting response to the question being asked.

We'll be far more likely to see Ramires and/or Remy on the wing or a change in formation than we would a youngster being played. If he can't trust them in the league cup against minnows then why would he play them now we are at the hard part of the season? 

Would obviously love to be wrong but chances of it happening are slim baring Jose's hands being forced due to injuries/suspension. 

Edited by Remodez

Thought it was a fitting response to the question being asked.

We'll be far more likely to see Ramires and/or Remy on the wing or a change in formation than we would a youngster being played. If he can't trust them in the league cup against minnows then why would he play them now we are at the hard part of the season?

Would obviously love to be wrong but chances of it happening are slim baring Jose's hands being forced due to injuries/suspension.

Fitting? More like rude! Oh well no hard feelings. I agree it is highly unlikely that any of the youngsters will benefit from what has become a fairly small squad.

However if we were to encounter a small injury crisis, then mourinho's hand could be forced.

I think RLC and Ake will. FFP has made it tougher for us now and our reliance on bringing youth into the first team is stronger than ever now. Bamford (although not our youth) will most likely come in as 3rd choice next season. Baker i would like to see also, but we will see how he performs on loan. 

So does Zouma not count as youth ?

He does but he has hardly come through our own system.

That's why I like watching the youth & reserves games. Love the idea of watching a 17/19 year old, imagining that in a few seasons time he will have progressed to the first team and be a regular first 11 starter. I know some folk don't give a toss as long as we have a successful team but for me it would mean a lot more to do so with one or two who had come through the system.

Think I'll be watching a lot time though.................. 

Edited by Nibs

I must confess i don't know much about the youth players and normally am quite reserved about their potential.  Every year there is more pressure on youth players to be better at a younger age.  It's getting to the point where if they haven't shown real potential by the age of 20 then playing for a big club is unlikely. (i realise this is a sweeping statement.)

For me Baker and Chalobah are probably not going to make it at Chelsea, although i can see them both being premiership players.

Ake has been impressive and i believe he could be a squad player for us going forward.  Kalas, whilst he'll be a good player i don't think he'll be good enough for Chelsea.

There are four that i've got my eye on that i believe if handled correctly and if they work their asses off could become Chelsea players.

Boga - I believe he is the most exciting prospect.  His skill level is out of this world.  Hopefully he grows a little but i doubt there are many better players than him in the world at his age (just turned 18)

Solanke - Looks like a future star.  Seems to have all the qualities you want from a centre forward, scores goals for fun and has great physique for his age (will turn 18 start of next season)

Christensen - Needs to fill out physically but i can see him being the "cultured" centre back next to a dominant Centre back (Zouma).  Still only 18, but appears to have the pace, technique and IQ to be a star.

Rubens Loftus Cheek - I've heard mumblings of him not being motivated or not trying that hard but if he puts it altogether he could be dominant.  Jose must absolutely love his physique, he's a monster.  If he can work on his technique we could be looking at a Matic or Toure clone.  Just turned 19, really excited about him as a prospect.

I believe to make it here you need to have either world class skills (Boga) or be physically out of this world (RLC).  These four seem to have combinations of both for their postions.  Izzy Brown could well join them (he just turned 18!) but i feel he needs to cement a position, maybe further back as a box to box midfielder.  

In terms of nearness to the first team.

Christensen, Ake

Omeruo

RLC, Brown

Kalas

Solanke

In terms of potential.

Christensen

RLC

Solanke

Boga, Musonda

Brown, Colkett, Palmer, Abraham

I rate Abraham and Colkett very highly. Amazing intelligence while not necessarily being as skillful as Boga, Musonda or Palmer. Someone said that Colkett reminded him of Josh but I see Colkett being better at the things which never allowed Josh to progress. He can pass a ball with some zip, Josh's passes always seemed to lack strength. He can shoot with power and he very simply seems stronger. He has always looked excellent when I've watched him.

Would love to say Kalas after his performance against liverpool last season. Looked like he would becom a star. This season has been horrible for him though and I really hope he can recover and get back on track.

RLC also looks awesome and his technique mixd with size should give him a great opportunity. 

• 11 months later...

Had a dream last night that we recalled Todd Kane out of the blue and stuck him straight into the first team in the next game... at left-back. There was an enormous uproar as it was Azpilicueta, rather than Ivanovic, who was dropped in Kane's favour.

The only part of the game which I remember is the incredibly confused expression on his face.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking with my friend about young players today. This question came up.

How many of our academy or young players making the first team would it take for you to consider our philosophy a success?

In the next few years I would say given the sheer amount of talent we've amassed no less than 6 players. Maybe not nailed on starters but 6 in the matchday squad. We're technically halfway there already

Not sure how to phrase it but it's not really a question of how many, it's more who makes it than the amount. 

If someone like Ake doesn't make the cut despite proving himself countless times and being so far ahead of everyone in terms of development, then that to me is a failure. He is the best youth we've had in ages.

Christensen is a slightly odd situation.

On one hand, you could argue he would be better off completing his two years at Gladbach seeing as it's likely they will get CL football again next season and that is invaluable experience. 

On the other you could say that seeing as it's very likely we won't have any european football next season and we will be rebuilding, it would be the best time to start bringing in some youth players.

I'm leaning more towards letting him see out his two years personally, assuming Gladbach get CL football this season that is. Even if JT does leave, I think we would be fine with Ivanovic and Ake covering at center back. Odds are we will buy someone to replace JT, which would make recalling Christensen a waste as he would be sat on the bench.

Christensen is a slightly odd situation.

On one hand, you could argue he would be better off completing his two years at Gladbach seeing as it's likely they will get CL football again next season and that is invaluable experience.

On the other you could say that seeing as it's very likely we won't have any european football next season and we will be rebuilding, it would be the best time to start bringing in some youth players.

I'm leaning more towards letting him see out his two years personally, assuming Gladbach get CL football this season that is. Even if JT does leave, I think we would be fine with Ivanovic and Ake covering at center back. Odds are we will buy someone to replace JT, which would make recalling Christensen a waste as he would be sat on the bench.

I agree it would be a waste to recall him if we buy a new CB. So why not just recall him instead of buying a new player though? Cahill, Zouma, Christensen and a reduced role for JT (if needed) or Bran as cover works fine. That seems like the logical choice.

I agree it would be a waste to recall him if we buy a new CB. So why not just recall him instead of buying a new player though? Cahill, Zouma, Christensen and a reduced role for JT (if needed) or Bran as cover works fine. That seems like the logical choice.

Either way, one of Christensen or Zouma will be dropped as both are still not experienced enough to play together.

In an ideal world that is a risk we would be willing to take but I just don't see it panning out like that.

Either way, one of Christensen or Zouma will be dropped as both are still not experienced enough to play together.

In an ideal world that is a risk we would be willing to take but I just don't see it panning out like that.

Neither do I. I can see us selling him to Dortmund or the like and having revolving door of CBs aside Zouma for the next decade.

• 1 month later...