What's gone wrong? Why are we so bad?

CFC-Forever

Okay guys, I'm feeling really confused and frankly rather worried. What the hell is happening at our club? I know you're all probably tried of seeing people moaning on and o here, but I have to express how I feel. I'm just really baffled as to how so many good players can go downhill so quickly. I mean, take Hazard for example, the player of the season last year, yet he looks bang average now. Fabregas is non existent these days while Ivanovic is looking like a total joke, in fact our whole defense is abysmal, while Costa has definitely lost a step or two... How? How can they all go downhill so quickly. If anything, our squad has improved since the start of last season (with the inclusion of Pedro), yet this team is completely unrecognizable to the team that started last season in blistering form... I've always believed that the only way to truly solve a problem is to first understand it fully, and that's where I'm having trouble. I've seen various theories floating about as to why we're underperforming (players siding with Eva over Jose, JT causing unrest because he didn't like been subbed against City), but none of them really ring true to me... So, I have a few questions for you all.

What do you think's gone wrong with the players? Is it just a matter of lacking confidence?

Is the Eva situation in anyway connected to our dismal form?

Should Jose be blamed and even replaced (perish the thought)?

Do you think we'll bounce back soon, or remain in miserable form throughout the whole season (like United did under Moyes)?

What do you think is the solution?

you know what helps, making another thread

I had to because none of the others were suitable for my post. I'm sorry if you think I should have posted this in the 'Time for Mr Blobby' thread, or the 'Time for Fat Sam' thread. How about you reprimand whoever started those threads instead of me.

A lot of things went wrong.

However, just speaking primarily on the players, JT and Cahill played exceptional within the system last year.  However, once the system had a few chinks, they were always going to get exposed because neither are particulary great Cbs...Another problem is that we don't have any proactive cbs, which hurts the offense.....  

People are surprised at hazard's output, but he's been like this for the past 3 seasons, starting slow and ending with a bang.  Only difference is that we are near relegation zone and the other previous seasons we were usually in the top of the table...

The Cm combo of matic and cesc worked well last season and both kind of dropped in the second half, but realistically, neither are fast/quick.  Matic has long legs so he can cover space, however, Cesc is not an ideal Cm in the jose mold....  Than ramires has really dropped in the past 2 seasons and mikel is mikel.

The most obvious answer to the question is really OSCAR.  Oscar usually is the MVP for the first half of the season since Jose took over and did most of the pressing and allowed for the ams/cesc to move around to benefit themselves.  Now, without Oscar's pressing and defensive output, Chelsea is being exposed for being an average individual defensive side.  

I remember a ton of folks said put hazard, willian or cesc in the n10 because of blah blah blah, however, none of them can do what oscar does and what jose wants from the n10 position.  This is why most fans really never understood the role Jose placed on Oscar and the amount of sacrifice oscar had to do within his game to move forward with Jose's tactics....

Now, without Oscar, the team lacks the pressing intelligence and is losing every midfield battle so far...It's not a coincidence that the best football chelsea has played was when oscar was on form and the fact that now without oscar, the team looks terrible.  Also, we have given up 12 goals already with supposedly the best fullback in england, 3 guys on PFA TOTY and Thibo...

I'll tell you in the most stupid non qualified football terms possible and it's spot on, when my nephew plays fifa I give it a  bash, the difference between the very good players and the ones that are easy to beat: Good players give you no time on the ball, not so good ones do....that's the main difference, that and Ivan standing off players

Jose plays virtually the same 11 players every single week ... despite any type of form ... this has introduced mass complacency ... favouritism on this scale destroys any work place harmony ... it must be soul destroying for everyone else ... Jose may be purposely avoiding playing any signings which he never sanctioned, who knows? ... at the end of the day a few changes needed to be made against Everton to freshen up the team and Jose bottled it big time ... The result was inevitable when the team sheet was announced ... if Jose sticks to his guns I believe there may be no way back ... Hope I'm wrong ...

Mass complacency by the club in the close season. At boardroom level we failed to secure our primary targets in the transfer market. Worse though we have been unprepared at player fitness levels. The management team decided to cut short preseason with the hope that we would be 100% by this time of the season having ground out results. This though hasn't happened, the opening match swung on the sending off. City was always going to be hard and we didn't have enough time to rectify faults after the Palace game on the training pitch due to the international break. The coming weeks will probably define just how good a manager José is or isn't,this position is alien to him.If he comes through it unscathed it will benefit him in the long run, the keyword there being If.

Okay guys, I'm feeling really confused and frankly rather worried. What the hell is happening at our club? I know you're all probably tried of seeing people moaning on and o here, but I have to express how I feel. I'm just really baffled as to how so many good players can go downhill so quickly. I mean, take Hazard for example, the player of the season last year, yet he looks bang average now. Fabregas is non existent these days while Ivanovic is looking like a total joke, in fact our whole defense is abysmal, while Costa has definitely lost a step or two... How? How can they all go downhill so quickly. If anything, our squad has improved since the start of last season (with the inclusion of Pedro), yet this team is completely unrecognizable to the team that started last season in blistering form... I've always believed that the only way to truly solve a problem is to first understand it fully, and that's where I'm having trouble. I've seen various theories floating about as to why we're underperforming (players siding with Eva over Jose, JT causing unrest because he didn't like been subbed against City), but none of them really ring true to me... So, I have a few questions for you all.

What do you think's gone wrong with the players? Is it just a matter of lacking confidence?

Is the Eva situation in anyway connected to our dismal form?

Should Jose be blamed and even replaced (perish the thought)?

Do you think we'll bounce back soon, or remain in miserable form throughout the whole season (like United did under Moyes)?

What do you think is the solution?

I'm glad you made this thread, thanks for doing so as it highlights there are those of us who are completely perplexed and don't feel the need to automatically be negative. You've posed open questions, you haven't offered a negative statement as fact, or given a wild subjective prediction.

At this stage, we just don't know do we, time will tell I guess and we will become aware of what has happened to cause this downshift in form. We have all the ingredients, talent, manager and so on, but it's just not holding together. We currently lack cohesion and I can't put my finger on why.

It's not too late, we have had a bad start, but it could turn around. Guess it's a case of wait and see this week. Come on you Blues.

Thanks for making this thread mate

I think we have come into the season not looking fit undercooked if you will. This MAY have been slightly delibrate in thinking that the players wont drop off in the later parts of the season like last season. Not sure but its a theory?

Ivans form has dropped off the scale and so has cesc

Jose is loyal to his players and should be applauded for that but i think enough is enough now

As for all these guys saying we will be relegated and sack jose all i can say for you lot is get real its 5 games not 25 !!!

Wednesday is another game and thats goid we move on

Outside looking in, there's disharmony at the club that's spilling over into performances on the pitch.

Failed late bids for Pogba and Marquinhos had a whiff of desperation about them when you consider how efficient our recruitment process was last year.

The medical team fiasco.

The Terry substitution against City.

Jose constantly trying to save face in post match interviews.

Oscar's mystery "injury".

On their own, maybe nothing. Collectively, something isn't right behind the scenes that's for sure.

Outside looking in, there's disharmony at the club that's spilling over into performances on the pitch.

Failed late bids for Pogba and Marquinhos had a whiff of desperation about them when you consider how efficient our recruitment process was last year.

The medical team fiasco.

The Terry substitution against City.

Jose constantly trying to save face in post match interviews.

Oscar's mystery "injury".

On their own, maybe nothing. Collectively, something isn't right behind the scenes that's for sure.

Sums it up really. I think the major reason is the lack of additions, though. The ones that are responsible for transfers must have seen that we won the league and thought: "well if the car shines then why tweak the engine?" The summer before we had a plan and executed promptly, this time around we only started looking once it became evident that our team was not good enough. That's when other clubs will ask you to pay £100m for Pogba or players demand £300k salaries...

Another big problem is Hazard's form. Let's be honest, he is BY FAR the best player we have. He took 1000 hits last season and yet he won us the league. If he is struggling then everyone will struggle. Blaming him like Mourinho did is not the right way to go. If I was to make a guess I think Hazard is frustrated at the way the club dealt with transfers this summer. He complained before that he 'has to do everything on his own' and he probably wants to see some ambition. I think he wants to win the Champions League (remember why he joined?) but with the squad we have: no chance. Maybe he is wondering why he should stay at Chelsea now that he has won the Premier League? Why not go to Real, and win the Champions League there? 

Obviously the atmosphere is bad. I don't really like Mourinho's mantra that everything goes against us and we did nothing wrong. Now I am 100% sure this is just his way of talking to the media, he knows it is nonsense and he knows it is our fault and our fault only, but I am not sure if the players get that. 

Let's face it, we won't even come close to winning anything and the fault is with the board, probably with Emelano. He should be sacked and not Mourinho.

As for our targets this season, top 4 will do for me.

The whole team is stale, surrounded by bad press, out of form and out of confidence. Also the worst performing players aren't getting replaced (Ivan, Fabregas, etc). Surely we're all fed up of seeing the same names on the team sheet every week, making the same mistakes? It's one big cloud of doom at the moment.

We need some luck winning in the Champions League mid week and against Arsenal next weekend, and everything will look a little better. We're just in a horrible negative slump.

Back 4 no pace. Midfield no pace or aggression. Final 3rd too slow. I love Jose, he has been fantastic for us. His stubbornness is his weakness. He says he'll never leave Chelsea. Why?? He has nowhere else to go. He's at one of the biggest /richest clubs in the world, & no one above us would have him.His tactics, substitutions & reluctance to drop players are baffling at times.Bring back Ancelotti (should never have been sacked). Before I get attacked like some do on this forum. I'm not a troll. I've been Chelsea since 1969, go to the, Bridge twice a year (not cheap from Londonderry ) and I repeat I love Jose.

I'm not attacking, this is a genuine ask.

How does anyone know, really know, that Jose is stubborn and, if he is, how much so? Also, why is being 'stubborn' viewed as a negative quality, stubborn can also mean persistent, tenacious, qualities needed I would imagine.

I'm glad you made this thread, thanks for doing so as it highlights there are those of us who are completely perplexed and don't feel the need to automatically be negative. You've posed open questions, you haven't offered a negative statement as fact, or given a wild subjective prediction.

At this stage, we just don't know do we, time will tell I guess and we will become aware of what has happened to cause this downshift in form. We have all the ingredients, talent, manager and so on, but it's just not holding together. We currently lack cohesion and I can't put my finger on why.

It's not too late, we have had a bad start, but it could turn around. Guess it's a case of wait and see this week. Come on you Blues.

Many thanks for appreciating this thread. I agree that we'll just have to wait and see. I have the utmost faith in Jose to turn this mess around. I only hope he can do it fairly quickly, as I wouldn't like to see us miss out on the top 4.

Thanks for making this thread mate

I think we have come into the season not looking fit undercooked if you will. This MAY have been slightly delibrate in thinking that the players wont drop off in the later parts of the season like last season. Not sure but its a theory?

Ivans form has dropped off the scale and so has cesc

Jose is loyal to his players and should be applauded for that but i think enough is enough now

As for all these guys saying we will be relegated and sack jose all i can say for you lot is get real its 5 games not 25 !!!

Wednesday is another game and thats goid we move on

Well, I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but you do raise a point. We did start last season brilliantly and end it sluggishly. It would be nice to think that we'll eventually hit top form and go on a lengthy winning streak after Christmas. It's just, even if that's the case, by then it may be too late. We're already 11 points adrift of City which is horrendous and at the moment I can only see that gap widening. On the other hand, we're only 6 points behind 2nd placed United and 3rd placed Arsenal, so that's not too bad. 

You're right about Jose's loyalty to the players going too far. They're getting complacent. It's as if they know however bad they play they'll still get picked in the next game. Benching a few of them for a game or two could help matters.

A lot of things went wrong.

However, just speaking primarily on the players, JT and Cahill played exceptional within the system last year.  However, once the system had a few chinks, they were always going to get exposed because neither are particulary great Cbs...Another problem is that we don't have any proactive cbs, which hurts the offense.....  

People are surprised at hazard's output, but he's been like this for the past 3 seasons, starting slow and ending with a bang.  Only difference is that we are near relegation zone and the other previous seasons we were usually in the top of the table...

The Cm combo of matic and cesc worked well last season and both kind of dropped in the second half, but realistically, neither are fast/quick.  Matic has long legs so he can cover space, however, Cesc is not an ideal Cm in the jose mold....  Than ramires has really dropped in the past 2 seasons and mikel is mikel.

The most obvious answer to the question is really OSCAR.  Oscar usually is the MVP for the first half of the season since Jose took over and did most of the pressing and allowed for the ams/cesc to move around to benefit themselves.  Now, without Oscar's pressing and defensive output, Chelsea is being exposed for being an average individual defensive side.  

I remember a ton of folks said put hazard, willian or cesc in the n10 because of blah blah blah, however, none of them can do what oscar does and what jose wants from the n10 position.  This is why most fans really never understood the role Jose placed on Oscar and the amount of sacrifice oscar had to do within his game to move forward with Jose's tactics....

Now, without Oscar, the team lacks the pressing intelligence and is losing every midfield battle so far...It's not a coincidence that the best football chelsea has played was when oscar was on form and the fact that now without oscar, the team looks terrible.  Also, we have given up 12 goals already with supposedly the best fullback in england, 3 guys on PFA TOTY and Thibo...

You make a good point about Oscar. I too have noticed his importance to the side, and he is in my opinion BY FAR the best choice for the no 10 position. I particularly noticed this in the match against Swansea (in which he was our best player on the pitch). That been said, I don't believe that if you reinsert Oscar back into the team it would solve all our problems. 

Back 4 no pace. Midfield no pace or aggression. Final 3rd too slow. I love Jose, he has been fantastic for us. His stubbornness is his weakness. He says he'll never leave Chelsea. Why?? He has nowhere else to go. He's at one of the biggest /richest clubs in the world, & no one above us would have him.His tactics, substitutions & reluctance to drop players are baffling at times.Bring back Ancelotti (should never have been sacked). Before I get attacked like some do on this forum. I'm not a troll. I've been Chelsea since 1969, go to the, Bridge twice a year (not cheap from Londonderry ) and I repeat I love Jose.

As dkw said in another thread, do you not think that Jose has earned the right to be given the opportunity to fix this?

Well, I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but you do raise a point. We did start last season brilliantly and end it sluggishly. It would be nice to think that we'll eventually hit top form and go on a lengthy winning streak after Christmas. It's just, even if that's the case, by then it may be too late. We're already 11 points adrift of City which is horrendous and at the moment I can only see that gap widening. On the other hand, we're only 6 points behind 2nd placed United and 3rd placed Arsenal, so that's not too bad.

You're right about Jose's loyalty to the players going too far. They're getting complacent. It's as if they know however bad they play they'll still get picked in the next game. Benching a few of them for a game or two could help matters.

I've been wondering if this start where our players look fatigued is down to not wanting to drop of 2nd half of the season meaning the pre season conditioning has been over done.

Great thread, exactly what i was looking for!! Was in the worst mood yesterday afternoon, really trying to make sense of what is going on. I just don't know!

When i saw the team sheet yesterday and ivanovic was on it! So frustrating, he is the biggest issue with our team and it is as clear as day, yet jose's stubborness means no matter how bad he plays he will always play 90 mins.

Jose has about 15 players he is willing to start and no others will get a look in, take luis last season, barely started, but from what i saw i feel he deserved better.

I am starting to get the oppinion that we need a manager that is more willing to rotate and give some other players a chance to prove themselves, when was the last time we unearthed a real talent, why is this, we may have some future stars just rotting on the bench never getting a chance to show their full potential. What do you think Harry Kane or John Stones would be doing now if they were a Chelsea under 21. Probably just bench warming with Loftus Cheek and Traore.

Archived