WC 2018

4 minutes ago, the special one said:

3-3-3-1
                Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Maguire
  Trippier - Henderson - Young
      Lingard - Alli - Sterling
                Kane

Struggling to understand this. Is this 1 CM or is Alli playing CM alongside Henderson with Lingard/Sterling behind Kane?

Just now, RIP Mourinho said:

Struggling to understand this. Is this 1 CM or is Alli playing CM alongside Henderson with Lingard/Sterling behind Kane?

If the friendlies v Nigeria and Costa Rica are anything to go by it's a 3-5-2/3-3-3-1 hybrid. It's the same tactics Chile used when they won the Copa America (with arguably 'inferior' players)

Just now, the special one said:

If the friendlies v Nigeria and Costa Rica are anything to go by it's a 3-5-2/3-3-3-1 hybrid. It's the same tactics Chile used when they won the Copa America (with arguably 'inferior' players)

So would it be Alli/Lingard dropping deeper into the midfield when in a defensive transition and then the line up you posted when attacking?

3 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

So would it be Alli/Lingard dropping deeper into the midfield when in a defensive transition and then the line up you posted when attacking?

I'd imagine so if it's that lineup. Stones will likely advance into a "DM" position to support Hendo in attacking phases, i.e. 2-4-3-1 - in principle it makes sense given the lack of collective talent we have in midfield but it's susceptible to counter attack on transitions (so Stones and Hendo need to keep the ball).

Edited by the special one

4 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

There's no denying his skill, but he rarely turns up in the big matches.  It looks like he doesn't (or can't) do it on the big stage, when it really matters.

I've seen Messi turn up for the big games more than any other player. More for Barcelona than Argentina, but still, Messi's big game record is brilliant.

Really?   Well  Ok, but definitely NOT for Argentina,  on what is the biggest stage of all.  And he only turned up against us this last time.  Never did before over many big nights.

To be honest, I don't watch much day-to-day Spanish league football,  so I don't know how he does against Malaga or Tenerife.

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Really?   Well  Ok, but definitely NOT for Argentina,  on what is the biggest stage of all.  And he only turned up against us this last time.  Never did before over many big nights.

To be honest, I don't watch much day-to-day Spanish league football,  so I don't know how he does against Malaga or Tenerife.

He's dominated the best teams in Europe on multiple occasions, Bayern, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Man United, PSG. He's turned up in nearly every big final he has played in. Like you say though, he still needs that big moment for Argentina. I think his record is excellent for Argentina and he does carry them a lot, but he now needs that moment where he will be remembered as more than a nearly man for Argentina.

Let's focus on things that really matter: the Panama goalie kit is horrible., and those lozenges on the Belgium shirts remind me of the 80s. Thumbs down allround. Thank goodness for the yellow and black referee kit.

Edited by Valerie