Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
Hanzen

Nicolas Pépé


Recommended Posts

In the last days rumours have started to show regarding Nicolas Pépé as a replacement if Eden leaves for Real Madrid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6931143/chelsea-set-70m-nicolas-pepe-eden-hazard-way-real-madrid.html
https://talksport.com/football/528627/chelsea-transfer-news-eden-hazard-nicolas-pepe/

I know - perhabs not the most trustworthy sources, but still. Interesting indeed. 

Personally I see a lot more potential in Pépé than I do in Pulisic, who to me seems like more of a backup solution with high marketing value. Though with Pulisic, Pedro, Willian and CHO already in our squad, a transfer seems unlikely. Furthermore, it seems that Lille wants to sell this summer - and with our well-known transfer ban hanging over our head - it's probably just another rumour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember we were being linked to him in January as well so there could be something to the rumour. 

I don't know anything about him but it looks like he's had a really impressive season for Lille with 19 goals and 13 assists in the league so far this season. Left footed but plays on the right. 

Looks like he had a good season before being to Lille as well scoring 13 for 14th placed Angers in Ligue 1. 

The last Ivorian we signed from France didn't work out so badly so I'm on board for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the analysis I’ve read about his playing style, it sounds like he is much more of a run onto the ball and get in behind type winger, rather than a take on type player.  Sounds like something that would fit our style of play and help with our movement.  I know there has been a lot of talk about Hazard and Willian congesting attacks.  Imagine Luiz pinging long balls to a strong, fast winger like Pepe rather than Pedro?  Sounds good to me.  Plus, it appears that Pepe has quality finishing ability too.

I would completely be on board with this signing, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chelsea fan aswell to boot. 

Would be great signing. Jovic, Pepe, Felix, CHO, Pulisic, Abraham, would be my ideal attacking group for next season. 

I dont want to lose hazard, but if we sell him, plus bakayoko, morata, batshuayi, Willian and pedro, there should be plenty of funds available for a complete overhaul of the attack. 

Not convinced the club will spend big, but we did stump up a record fee for a keeper when we needed one. So its anyone's guess what level we will enter the market, with a 2 window transfer ban looming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 18/04/2019 at 09:31, RIP Mourinho said:

CHO - Jovic - Pepe is a dream front three for next season.

Willian - Giroud - Pedro is the likely front three for next season.

Isn't this the depressing truth... :s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some say he is already signed by Bayern.

I really hope that those rumours on him a true, we definitely need a player like him in our squad. Young, skilful, goalscorer, creative, quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Some say he is already signed by Bayern.

I really hope that those rumours on him a true, we definitely need a player like him in our squad. Young, skilful, goalscorer, creative, quick. 

His agent just stated that they are talking to multiple teams, and if I’m not mistaken, specifically mentioned that they have not committed to Bayern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

His agent just stated that they are talking to multiple teams, and if I’m not mistaken, specifically mentioned that they have not committed to Bayern.

And we're probably not one of those teams not with the transfer ban situation still up in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray_Cfc said:

And we're probably not one of those teams not with the transfer ban situation still up in the air.

That would quite foolish, almost comically foolish, and quite hard to believe.  Regardless of the transfer ban, I would think the club is still assessing targets and working out deals in case the ban is frozen.  If not, then they’d already be a step behind when the window opens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

That would quite foolish, almost comically foolish, and quite hard to believe.  Regardless of the transfer ban, I would think the club is still assessing targets and working out deals in case the ban is frozen.  If not, then they’d already be a step behind when the window opens.

True but surely his agent will prioritise other clubs until it's clear that we get the go ahead to sign players this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ray_Cfc said:

True but surely his agent will prioritise other clubs until it's clear that we get the go ahead to sign players this summer. 

Generally I would agree, but in this instance, the player has publicly stated that he is a Chelsea fan and it is the only English club he would sign for.  Makes it a unique situation, and limits the field slightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Generally I would agree, but in this instance, the player has publicly stated that he is a Chelsea fan and it is the only English club he would sign for.  Makes it a unique situation, and limits the field slightly.

Yes, but agents have a bigger say than the players a lot of the time. They convince their client that they can do more, earn more etc elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, enigma said:

Yes, but agents have a bigger say than the players a lot of the time. They convince their client that they can do more, earn more etc elsewhere. 

Right, but in this case all I’m saying is it’s likely that he is at least talking with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2019 at 16:57, rtwelch said:

Hypothetically, If Sane was available for the same price which one would you want?

Sané. He's proven in the PL - and IMO one of the best wingers out there. With that being said, I think Pépé would be an absolutely amazing signing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was unconvinced about Pepe earlier in the season because while his movement was dangerous, it seemed to me that he missed a lot of chances and his first touch seemed sub-par for a side that faces a lot of deep-lying defences (like Chelsea). 

His finishing and first touch have both improved a lot though, plus he's provided quite a few assists, which suggests a reasonably unselfish nature, so I'd be much more enthusiastic about his signing. The only real area for improvements would be 1) his strength - he seems a bit lightweight for the PL and 2) defensive contribution, in which he can be a bit lazy. But those can be addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim Ratcliffe, who was rumoured to have wanted to buy Chelsea, has had a bid accepted to buy OGC Nice. Reckon this could make it easier or harder for us to land Pepe in future?

Could make it easier should he be close to buying Chelsea and also has a season ticket with us?

Could prove difficult as he's bitter we wouldn't accept his offer to buy the club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Jim Ratcliffe, who was rumoured to have wanted to buy Chelsea, has had a bid accepted to buy OGC Nice. Reckon this could make it easier or harder for us to land Pepe in future?

Interesting that he's buying another club. 

If he really was interested in buying Chelsea then he must have got a pretty firm "no" from Roman to have bought a club elsewhere. 

Unless he's got plans on buying more than one club.... Is that even allowed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Interesting that he's buying another club. 

If he really was interested in buying Chelsea then he must have got a pretty firm "no" from Roman to have bought a club elsewhere. 

Unless he's got plans on buying more than one club.... Is that even allowed? 

I think Man City and NYC FC are owned by the same people, so I would guess maybe it's allowed?

Although, NYC FC would never compete in any European competitions, so maybe that mitigates the conflict of interest.  Owning 2 clubs in Europe seems like would cause an issue somewhere.

Edit: it was brought to our attention that Pepe, in fact, plays for Lille and not Nice, so Ratcliffe will have no say in the matter :laugh2:

Edited by mwblue10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...