Pop up ads every time I come on the site.

stevo

Let us know [mention=9919]ForeverCarefree[/mention]
For the record, nobody's device has been hacked neither had the forum. It looks like someone found a way to advertise with Google but using dodgy practises. I've blocked the URL.
It also seemed to me, it peaked when the site got busy on matchday.
I didn't actually see it once though which was odd.
Does this mean I'm no longer getting my second revenue stream from 'Milkandjugs. Com'?

On 11/08/2019 at 16:03, Mod Stark said:

Working on it @stevo Have removed the Chelsea video box on front page, let me know if it makes any difference.

Seems ok today. Not happened once. Couldn’t get on here at all after the match yesterday. 

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

• 5 weeks later...

Getting these constantly when navigating from one section or thread to another. I have to click the x in order to access the content. I'm on mobile - Chrome on Android.

I understand having ads on top/bottom or in between posts, but being shown a full screen ad before seeing the content seems a bit too intrusive to be honest. Any chance of removing them or maybe making them appear less often? 

Screenshot_20191204_231217_com.android.chrome.jpg

• 9 months later...

@Mod Stark the forum has been practically unreadable on mobile for me for the past week or so, the ad placement is ridiculous and sometimes the middle one is triple the size and follows my scroll so I can barely read anything. 

I have a feeling this is not intentional so maybe take a look to see if anything malicious has happened to the codes.

I am on Chrome on Android 10.

Screenshot_20200916_133611_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by dR3

Nothing I can do buddy. I appreciate at times some banners may appear big on mobile devices but then it should change. There is a top sticky on mobile that disappears after a set amount of seconds and a bottom sticky that can be closed on mobile and desktop. I've totally avoided pop-ups, pop-unders and auto play videos, these are just static banners. We are much lighter here than most other places I've seen.

Although the forum is massively appreciative of donations and they really do help, we need this ad revenue to continue being here. Since this version of the forum started in 2006 after the CSR, it has grown hugely. Every few years it seems we have to move hosting to bigger service which in turn increases its cost. A large part of time earlier this year and last year, I was paying for it out of my own pocket, I can't really afford to do that.

As well as hosting there is also renewals for the forum software, plugin renewals and theme updates. The truth is if there isn't ad revenue or member donations, this place wouldn't exist anymore.

1 hour ago, cRyptic said:

@Mod Stark the forum has been practically unreadable on mobile for me for the past week or so, the ad placement is ridiculous and sometimes the middle one is triple the size and follows my scroll so I can barely read anything. 

I have a feeling this is not intentional so maybe take a look to see if anything malicious has happened to the codes.

I am on Chrome on Android 10.

Ive already posted a simple solution right above your post but I’ll quote it again for everyone’s benefit. 

On 04/12/2019 at 22:34, Munkworth said:

Everyone donate £50 to the running costs :good2:

@Mod Stark you need to make one of those heart-wrenching montage videos of your suffering that all these rich as f**k celebrities do to con some money out of the average man. 

Thanks for the explanation, I was not trying to be an asshole in any kind of way, sorry if I came off as one. I understand ad revenue is mainly how the forum survives and don't mind it at all. - I just thought something unwanted was going on and tried to point it out.

• 6 months later...
On 16/09/2020 at 14:10, Mod Stark said:

Nothing I can do buddy. I appreciate at times some banners may appear big on mobile devices but then it should change. There is a top sticky on mobile that disappears after a set amount of seconds and a bottom sticky that can be closed on mobile and desktop. I've totally avoided pop-ups, pop-unders and auto play videos, these are just static banners. We are much lighter here than most other places I've seen.

Although the forum is massively appreciative of donations and they really do help, we need this ad revenue to continue being here. Since this version of the forum started in 2006 after the CSR, it has grown hugely. Every few years it seems we have to move hosting to bigger service which in turn increases its cost. A large part of time earlier this year and last year, I was paying for it out of my own pocket, I can't really afford to do that.

As well as hosting there is also renewals for the forum software, plugin renewals and theme updates. The truth is if there isn't ad revenue or member donations, this place wouldn't exist anymore.

Mod, would it be possible to have a subscription based membership version that was ad free? 

14 minutes ago, Mod Stark said:

Can't really do it @just as others might not be able to afford it easily and really don't want to go down a subscriber route. I've removed the large one that shows every 24 hours from the top.

No what I meant was Mod could there be an ad free subscribe option and the current free option with the ads? Both with exactly the same site content. I have no idea how easy or hard it is to set something like that up.

Edited by just

• 2 months later...