2019/20 Champions League draw

AlexTommo

37 minutes ago, AlexTommo said:

The draw takes place in Monaco at 17:00 BST today.

I've only just realised we're in pot 1 because we won the Europa League which is huge.

Chances we'll get Real Madrid in our group? Of course it's gonna happen.

Thoughts and predictions:?

Have we ever played RM in the CL? I can't recall any games between us. Not expecting to be contenders to win it or reach QF's, so i'll be happy for us to do well enough to avoid going into the EL.

7 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Have we ever played RM in the CL? I can't recall any games between us. Not expecting to be contenders to win it or reach QF's, so i'll be happy for us to do well enough to avoid going into the EL.

Not in the CL but beat them in the Cup Winners Cup final in 1971 and also defeated them in the Super Cup in 1998.

Some big names in pots 2 and 3. Could be trips to Madrid (Real or Atletico) and Milan.

I remember in 2004 after beating Arsenal, I was so excited at the thought of playing Real with the likes of Raul, Ronaldo, Zidane and Figo etc

Was gutted when Monaco got through.

11 minutes ago, AlexTommo said:

I remember in 2004 after beating Arsenal, I was so excited at the thought of playing Real with the likes of Raul, Ronaldo, Zidane and Figo etc

Was gutted when Monaco got through.

I try to block that Monaco tie out of my mind. A lesson in how to throw away a CL semi final.

I was a great fan of Claudio and the job he was doing, but that was a balls up and probably cost him his job.

4 minutes ago, Dixons said:

I try to block that Monaco tie out of my mind. A lesson in how to throw away a CL semi final.

I was a great fan of Claudio and the job he was doing, but that was a balls up and probably cost him his job.

I've blocked this out so much I can't remember anything about it other than we got knocked out and Ranieri went. I think we drew 0-0 at home and lost heavily over there, 3-0 or something. Not googling because I dont want to know.

Would like to get RM for a change and 2 of the 'easier' sides. Possible trip to Madrid would be nice.

Pot one:

Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester City, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Paris St-Germain, Zenit St Petersburg

Pot two:

Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham, Ajax, Benfica

Pot three:

Lyon, Bayer Leverkusen, Salzburg, Olympiakos, Club Bruges, Valencia, Inter Milan, Dinamo Zagreb

Pot four:

Lokomotiv Moscow, Genk, Galatasaray, RB Leipzig, Slavia Prague, Red Star Belgrade, Atalanta, Lille

3 minutes ago, AlexTommo said:

Pot one:

Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester City, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Paris St-Germain, Zenit St Petersburg

Pot two:

Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham, Ajax, Benfica

Pot three:

Lyon, Bayer Leverkusen, Salzburg, Olympiakos, Club Bruges, Valencia, Inter Milan, Dinamo Zagreb

Pot four:

Lokomotiv Moscow, Genk, Galatasaray, RB Leipzig, Slavia Prague, Red Star Belgrade, Atalanta, Lille

:smile:

3 hours ago, Dixons said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but apart from 02/03 I thought he was bang average.

This is what I got when I simulated the draw myself.

Would he very tough if this comes to fruition, now pot 1 is by Champions of the highest ranked country's, CL and Europa instead of just pure ranking there's a lot more difficult groups about, pot 1 and 2 aren't a great deal different.

Screenshot_20190829-000113.png

15 minutes ago, Argo said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but apart from 02/03 I thought he was bang average.

How old were you back then ? With a limited budget under Uncle Ken he did a decent job for us and had us punching above our weight by the time he left, he was a better manager than a lot that followed him, AVB, Scolari, Grant, RDM,FSW

24 minutes ago, coco said:

How old were you back then ? With a limited budget under Uncle Ken he did a decent job for us and had us punching above our weight by the time he left, he was a better manager than a lot that followed him, AVB, Scolari, Grant, RDM,FSW

First season after he took over from Vialli during the season I was pretty neutral, I wasn't particularly wowed but was prepared to give him a full pre season and a window to see where it took us.

I felt his first full season after getting his own players in and getting rid of the ageing stars he underperformed in the league although did somewhat make up for it with a cup run. The finishing of Hasselbaink and the form of Cudicini was keeping us a float and I was concerned performances of the team were going backwards. There seemed no structure or pattern of play, and the masses seemed to agree as their was a lot of frustration around the winter period (one game I think was Blackburn it boiled over).

02/03 yes, fantastic job to get us top four on the back of no transfers and a crippling debt. Playing Zola further up again turned out to be a masterstroke as the year before he was the sacrafical lamb for the Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen partnership, which as great as it was in itself I felt we were sacraficing too much in other areas for it to fully work (similar to PEA and Lacazette at Arsenal now), a lot of teams instead of focusing on stopping the pair when the ball was there focused on cutting out the supply to them which worked a treat. Jimmy himself critisized Ranieri for breaking up him and Eidur but for me it was a brave call that paid off.

Then the first Roman year, he kept tinkering with the team when there was no need and couldn't really get our players to gel much. Also in games where we were struggling and needed tactical inspiration to get us over the line he lacked and then worse there was Monaco when we were one foot into the final (1-1 away goal, man up) and he made awful moves that had Monaco thinking Christmas came early.

3 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

What the f**k was Cantona going on about? Ronaldo’s face was priceless during that madman’s ramblings!

I noticed that Cantona had dressed up for the occasion. What a scruffy bastard. And I thought that I was scruffy.

Archived