coco

Ajax v Chelsea (CL) Wed 23rd Oct 17:55 GMT

43 minutes ago, CFCholland said:

Absolutely ecstatic after that performance. Many of my friends support Ajax so I wouldn't have been able to remain friends with them had we lost that. They are without a doubt the most arrogant and annoying fan base around.

Naturally they all feel they were the better side and were screwed over by the ref, but I felt we were the better side on the night.

Life under Lampard is good! Exciting football with many of our own, long may it continue. UP THE CHELS!

One colleague of mine who was at the match admitted that during the match he felt that if it wasn't going to end in a draw, only Chelsea would be the likely winner, Ajax was never going to score :biggrin:

Edited by Valerie

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Re Willian I saw a comment that after the Tadic challenge he was not the same. 

They thought the Tadic challenge was red.

Anyone recall it?

It was a clinical foul, but doesn’t warrant a red card imo. I think yellow was the right call.

Still enjoying the result and mulling over how it impacts the rest of the season.

The players will be able to look back on this and use it as yardstick for future games. Frank referred to the performance as a "blueprint" for the future. (Such an appropriate phrase) You could tell he thought the players had carried out his plans really well. This is so important for a manager. To know your workforce is listening and carrying out your instructions is very gratifying but for those instructions to then secure such an important victory puts Frank in a very good place. He knows his tactics and management are working but he also knows there is still lots to do. He is smart enough to know he cannot just stand still and will need to come up with new ways of enthusing the players.

This success was very much based on hard work and you could see Ajax were tiring with the introduction of Pulisic towards the end. I think Frank had a definite plan to play high energy football. I think his overall plan includes playing high energy football. You can play all the fancy tactics you like but if you can out run your opponent you can win. You still need plans but  a high energy high press beats a high press. The players gave their all last night and thank heavens they got the result. It would have been devastating for all concerned if they had worked that hard and lost. They didn't though, and the victory was deserved. They got their just rewards and now know that this type of effort gets results. Frank can ask for this type of effort in the knowledge that the players know it can get them a result as well as the type of feeling they got on the plane home.

The players will be exhausted today and after todays warm down I'm pretty sure Frank will give them a day off. And here's Franks next challenge. How does he manage the energy levels in the team. Its encouraging to see Frank recognises that Willian's tires if asked to run like the team did last night. If he makes good use of the bench, Willian can put in a sacrificial performance and come off after an hour. Bringing on Pulisic late in the game is a real strong move and the only problem with it is that he will, rightly so, want to start in the next game.

Frank has to manage this situation and so far he has made many more good decisions than bad ones. Well done Frank and long may it continue.

COYB.

1 hour ago, CFCholland said:

Naturally they all feel they were the better side and were screwed over by the ref,

I don't get that, VAR overturned the goal, and from then on the ref was biased towards Ajax on virtually every 50-50, they can't grumble about the ref.

On the subject of VAR, last night just highlighted once again how flawed it is. I felt their goal should have stood. I know others feel differently but I think there should be clear daylight. When you're dealing in millimetres surely you have to know when the ball leaves the foot, and that should be judged to the nearest millimetre too. If not, there has to be daylight IMO. The ball can be moving and still be on your boot. They can't possibly know and so there should be daylight. The benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker. That's my thinking but I'm glad we got away with it.

Then there was a moment in the 77th minute where we had an attack from which we could have scored. Pulisic played a one-two with CHO. Replays showed CHO was offside and if we'd have scored it would have been ruled out. Fair enough, but because the linesman didn't flag we got a corner instead. If we'd have scored from the corner it's a goal, because the defence has had a chance to reset. Really? VAR is stopping linesmen putting their flags up because they don't want to wrongly disallow a potential goal, but their hesitancy can lead to a goal even if the player is offside. I think you have to allow referees and linesmen to do their job. They are becoming scared to make a decision. Yes they make bad decisions but by discouraging them to make decisions we are seeing just as many mistakes.

Then there was a clear handball. Tagliafico. It looked clear to me. Tomori was screaming for it. Was it handball? Did VAR look at it? I felt certain we were going to be given a penalty. If I'm wrong, fair enough, but if it was handball, why hasn't it been given?

Edit: VAR is fatally flawed for me. I hate it and it should go.

Edited by Davey Baby

I thought their goal should have counted. From the first angle he looks onside. Then they showed some weird other angle which didn't even look natural, Zouma's body was all squashed like they had computer generated it based on available camera angles to try and guess what it looked like from that particular line on the field, which I'm guessing is what they do, if they don't have a camera angle lined up perfectly, and that just looked strange and wrong. I think the first, more natural camera angle was a truer representation of the incident.

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

Edit: VAR is fatally flawed for me. I hate it and it should go.

I think it should stay, I'm sure it will get better with time, the problem is they can't change rules until the end of the season so if there is a flaw it will last the entire season before being reviewed. 

I've gotten used to VAR now and it adds a new dimension to watching football, getting a goal chalked off changes the dynamic of the game in a unique way and sitting around waiting for the verdict can be pretty exciting.
Though of course it does ruin the beautiful scenes sometimes eg. City late winner against Spuds in the CL last season

I think the way it is being used is damaging the game.

It is seen as accountable. I can see an argument for allowing each team 1 challenge per half yet otherwise it is being used for goal decisions that are seen as pernickety and every other view I have seen of VAR makes the whole thing unsettling.

re VAR it seems to have created more talking points than it has solved, so based on that why bother ?

one interesting development i have noticed is now there's a new kind of celebrating a disallowed goal from VAR by both sets of fans

Goal goes in - fans of attacking team celebrate wildly like usual 

Pause - VAR minute or three, fans of attacking team suddenly quieten down get worried expressions,  fans of defending team perk up and don't feel so bothered about conceding

Goal disallowed - defending team fans celebrate wildly as if they had scored a goal

This is a new type of 2 team fan goal/ no-goal celebration as a result of VAR , so it has achieved something ....?

Edited by General