coco

Watford vs Chelsea (PL) Sat 2nd Nov 17:30 GMT

Isnt that the job of the FA to make the role appealling by offering coaching and development alongside a competitive salary so people would want to go into that profession
I doubt it has much to do with the salary level at the top end. More to do with the years you need to spend in the arse end of football getting paid buttons for being called a speccy c**t by a geezer called Brian with a 42 inch gut and a part time job in Farmfoods

We had two incidents that contradicted each other in our last 2 games. Both times VAR went against us. Both decisions can't be right. If contact means foul, Callum should have won a pen against Burnley. If it doesn't, Watford shouldn't have been given a pen. VAR seems to make it up as it goes along, and what's undeniable, is we seem to get the rough end of the stick.

Remember Willian against Norwich, when they first introduced VAR? A stonewall penalty. The ref booked him for diving. VAR looked at it and agreed with him. It was as clear a penalty as you'll ever see.

There was Tottenham last season in the LC semi, when Kane scored, again we got the rough end of the stick. They used a dodgy angle, for offside, and the linesman waved his flag, and we stopped. Goal given.

Look at the angle they used. Everybody. Please stop and look at the angle. It's almost as if they were trying to find an angle that made him look onside. The correct camera angle showed he was clearly offside, but they never used it, for some strange reason. Can anybody explain that?

This season I can think of at least 5 occasions where our opponents have scored following fouls on our players and the goals have stood. Two in our first game at Utd. They weren't even analysed by the media, not even looked at. No-one's telling me that's insignificant.

The same thing happened to Liverpool against Utd and the media didn't stop talking about it for five days. Of course this plays on referees' minds. They're less likely to make a decision against a team if they know they're going to be ridiculed for five days solid if they get it wrong.

Who can genuinely say they're surprised we've had the most VAR decisions go against us? Has there been one subjective decision that's gone in our favour? One? Anyone? Since VAR was introduced? One controversial one in our favour? Please remind me.

This season the media are much kinder to us, because everyone loves Lamps and he's mates with all of them, and of course there's a lot of goodwill with our youngsters, so I expect that to make a difference, but it hasn't yet. We're still getting the short straw.

Ajax away, they had a goal ruled out by VAR that was contentious. We also got awarded a pen at home against Valencia, thanks to VAR. I think it's telling both decisions happened in the CL, with foreign refs.

Edit: Either way, VAR has to go. It's a total joke. We got screwed royally by refs before VAR. Funnily enough I preferred it that way. It's bad enough having Mike Dean referee us on the pitch, now he's officiating our games up in the sky. Remember when he made us retake a penalty three times against West Ham, for encroachment? Has anybody ever seen that before? Nope, I thought not.

Edited by Davey Baby

Also, lest we forget when Liverpool nearly won the title, driven on by the media, they were awarded a dodgy pen every week, or escaped an obvious red, or so on, usually involving Suarez. The media were so desperate for Liverpool to do it they applied as much pressure as they could and it worked. Refs are definitely influenced. Look at Leicester when they won it, it was such an amazing story everybody wanted them to do it. In the run-in how many dodgy decisions went their way? Untold. Referees were bending over backwards to see them win.

Lastly, the Battle of the Bridge. We've all seen it. We've got experience with Clattenburg. Remember when he sent Torres off for diving rather then send off Evans who was on a yellow, and in so doing incur Fergie's wrath? Spurs should have probably have ended up with 2 men on the pitch but they finished with 11. Now ask yourself, could that really have happened at Anfield? I doubt it.

And another thing now that I'm on a roll. We had a stonewall pen against Norwich this season. Not given. VAR looked at it. Not given. A foul on Azpilicueta? Not even debatable.

Soon after the media started complaining that VAR wasn't awarding penalties where they were obvious, and they always cited two examples, one for City and the other one I can't remember. Nobody ever mentioned our one. Anything that might have gone against us is totally ignored by the media, by and large, and for my money, referees are influenced by the media, knowing there'll be an outcry if they get one wrong against certain teams and knowing it'll be totally ignored if they get one wrong against other teams. Of course this has an influence, even if it's all subconscious. They're human beings after all.

21 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Spurs should have probably have ended up with 2 men on the pitch but they finished with 11. Now ask yourself, could that really have happened at Anfield? I doubt it.

Clattenburg even admitted a year or so later that he knew Spurs should have had four or five red cards that night but didn't send any off because he wanted to give them every chance basically. So we have proof of PL-referees putting Chelsea-players in danger and assisting our opponents in just that.

1 hour ago, loz said:
2 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:
Isnt that the job of the FA to make the role appealling by offering coaching and development alongside a competitive salary so people would want to go into that profession

I doubt it has much to do with the salary level at the top end. More to do with the years you need to spend in the arse end of football getting paid buttons for being called a speccy c**t by a geezer called Brian with a 42 inch gut and a part time job in Farmfoods

Its not the most appealing job in the world but its the FA's role to get a new wave of officials in and operating at respectable levels, we dont see many 40 year old unfit footballers operating in the Premier League because clearly the Premier League operates at such a high level of intensity that not everyone is able to keep up, then why should we accept middle aged officials officiating this game and than be surprised when we see errors. 

I watched the match live and was wondering if the TV coverage gets the exact same coverage when a VAR decision is being made. I noted when "VAR decision" came up on the screen they played multiple shots of the contact in quick succession. They played the point of contact about 8 or 9 times in quick succession thus totally distorting what happened in real time. The ball was already going out and the Watford player had lost control of the ball and the contact was inconsequential but they only focussed on that 1 second of contact and kept on playing it at high speed. The view they took was completely out of context with how the play had developed and didn't take account of anything else.

It's ridiculous how they view these situations and how the decision is being made. The ref should be looking back at replays on the pitch side monitor to see if he made a clear and obvious error. This is what we were told would happen but they aren't doing it. They are leaving up to Stockley Park without consulting with the ref. They are making the decision ang absolving the ref of his responsibility. VAR is there to help the referees not to make decisions. It is being misused and it has to stop.

Use the pitch side monitors and don't take so long. It took two minutes to make that penalty call. Far too long.

Another really fun game to watch. I'm just loving this season.

Zouma dancing down the wing. Kovacic executing the most pointless flick in the history of football. A short corner routine that actually made me wish Willian just aimed for the first defender like he usually does. Tammy looking more and more like the real deal. It feels like Mason Mount has been playing for us for years.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Another really fun game to watch. I'm just loving this season.

Zouma dancing down the wing. Kovacic executing the most pointless flick in the history of football. A short corner routine that actually made me wish Willian just aimed for the first defender like he usually does. Tammy looking more and more like the real deal. It feels like Mason Mount has been playing for us for years.

I absolutely loved that pointless flick from Kova #baller

Edited by Imran_CFC

19 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Just watched the game. Standing applause for Ben foster. You have to give it to him, he was top class and almost snatched them a point only he would have deserved. Save from Pulisic header was something else.

Without him this is a 4 or more goal win for us. Our football was crisp, hard working, score 2 lovely goals, and should have had at least 3 more. Scoreline flatter them big time.

Jorginho, Abraham, Kova and Zouma excellent.

On the pen well, it is Mike Dean, he hates us. I would not be so bothered by it if the Watford player had not clearly dived after keeping his footing and we were not a week removed from CHO being labelled a cheat.

Push in the back = contact

Trip to leg = contact

Neither a pen for me but how is one a dive and another a pen and BOTH clear and obvious errors?

Look at the videos posted by Scott Harris. Is not VAR being a joke, it is the people using it not being consistent with it. They are doing what they feel like and not applying it fairly.

Got to respect how he went to Kepa after the game and congratulated him also, top professional. 

6 hours ago, Sindre said:

Clattenburg even admitted a year or so later that he knew Spurs should have had four or five red cards that night but didn't send any off because he wanted to give them every chance basically. So we have proof of PL-referees putting Chelsea-players in danger and assisting our opponents in just that.

He also admitted to letting Roy Keane change his mind on things just because he terrified him. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11158671/mark-clattenburg-says-roy-keane-made-him-change-mind-on-corner

There are no good referees in this league. 

The incidents and decisions should be clear-cut enough to look at and be decided upon within 20 seconds. If they are not clear-cut enough then play carries on. Taking 2 mins is just farcical.

23 hours ago, loz said:

Fans are massively responsible for bringing it on. They cry like pussies when it goes against them but massively silent when they benefit. I find it borderline pathetic when anyone over the age of 12 genuinely thinks their team is picked on.

VAR would never be required if grown adults didn't behave like brats. And that is relevant to fans, players and managers, for every team. Yes I get annoyed when decisions go against us when replays prove its a mistake but its pathetic to deny that, over time, it doesn't balance out. VAR is here because people can't accept that.

But the reason why fans, pundits and other members of the media were calling for the type of video evidence that became VAR was to straighten out the travesties. To prevent Roy Carroll scooping the ball back from a yard behind the line. To allow for Frank's England goal to stand and for other clear and obvious errors or omissions to be cleared up.

Taking 2 minutes to review an incident over and over again clearly is not clear and obvious. Its a complete contradiction of the rule.

I disagree with the slightest touches being amplified due to slo-mo replays. I disagree with the inconsistency of an attacker accidentally touching the ball in the box and a defender doing the same. I disagree with players being offside because their shoulders may be in advance of the defender with no advantage being gained,

I disagree with almost everything that comes out of Neil Lennon's mouth, except when he said that they have killed the game with the way VAR is being interpreted.