4 hours ago, dkw said:

For the last few years pretty much everyone has complained about us just signing any old player with seemingly no plan, no forward thinking, just grabbing players who are available and it causing us problems. Pretty much everyone said they would rather we actually wait for the right players, which is what Liverpool did, as is often pointed out. Now we are actually seemingly doing that people are losing there sh*t, as expected. Same as the "play the young players" mob, once we started losing a few games. Its pathetic.

It's hard to argue with your point in theory, except that most of the rubbish we signed over the last few years, we did in the summer. Why should we trust Marina and Co to get quality players in the next window, given their track record? The mess we're currently in is largely due to the board's incompetence and it's the manager who has to deal with the consequences.

Edited by abramovich
28 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Oh don't be silly.

Obviously they communicate but Marina is running the club for all intents and purposes. Roman signs off on deals but he's not the one who decides who to buy or not buy.
This is from 2014 and she's only gotten more powerful since.

She is basically the power at Chelsea. Roman trusts her implicitly. She’s not interested in being a celebrity but there is no doubt who’s in charge and who call the shots.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/meet-marina-granovskaia-the-woman-running-abramovics-chelsea-after-chief-executive-leaves-9813365.html

She's running the club like Woodward is running United.

Day to day running of the club, such as making sure there’s enough milk in the fridge for tea, then I’d agree that she’s in charge.

Its difficult to gauge how much freedom she has, and I certainly wouldn’t attach much creedance to her job description as defined in a newspaper article.

The truth might be that she’s just some glorified Russian Santa’s helper who jumps when RA says jump, but that wouldn’t make good PR.

Who knows....

25 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Oh don't be silly.

Obviously they communicate but Marina is running the club for all intents and purposes. Roman signs off on deals but he's not the one who decides who to buy or not buy.

She is basically the power at Chelsea. Roman trusts her implicitly. She’s not interested in being a celebrity but there is no doubt who’s in charge and who call the shots.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/meet-marina-granovskaia-the-woman-running-abramovics-chelsea-after-chief-executive-leaves-9813365.html

I think Roman is treading water at the Bridge and wants to keep us competitive until he makes up his mind on residency.

Marina is his gatekeeper to ensure we don't break the bank and do enough to make top 4, if we don't and this is seen to be down to her not getting in sufficient transfers, I wonder if he will sack her?

21 minutes ago, abramovich said:

It's hard to argue with your point in theory, except that most of the rubbish we signed over the last few years, we did in the summer. Why should we trust Marina and Co to get quality players in the next window, given their track record? The mess we're currently in is largely due to the board's incompetence and it's the manager who has to deal with the consequences.

Ha ha, I was waiting on that one.... Yeah can't really argue with that. But hopefully lessons have been learned 

I hope the board understand that since they’ve waited and will now miss out on any legitimate targets that they can’t expect us to be finishing top 4 this season. Spurs and Utd have both added strength to their squads while we decided to do the same sh*t as usual. The young players on this team are getting tired from all the competitions and the physicality of the premier league and we don’t have sufficient players to fill in. So I hope the boards ready for us to finish outside the top 4. 

also it’s extremely disappointing given the fact lamps thought he was going to get three new players once that ban was lifted and now he’s left frustrated which is totally understandable. For all the crap united get they did sign maguire, wan-bissaka, and now this Bruno from sporting so he’s not done that awful especially since they just splashed out the cash again to strengthen. 

Edited by IndianaBlue85

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Oh don't be silly.

So you honestly believe the standard know the internal machinations at our club, a club owned by one of the most secretive men in football. Oh and also roman abramovich, who's known to be a total control freak with his businesses has completely handed over control of one of those businesses. Not a chance on both of them. Bruce buck has said often that nothing happens at the club without Romans involvement, from the smallest thing to multi million pound purchases. 

Edited by dkw
25 minutes ago, IndianaBlue85 said:

I hope the board understand that since they’ve waited and will now miss out on any legitimate targets that they can’t expect us to be finishing top 4 this season. Spurs and Utd have both added strength to their squads while we decided to do the same sh*t as usual. The young players on this team are getting tired from all the competitions and the physicality of the premier league and we don’t have sufficient players to fill in. So I hope the boards ready for us to finish outside the top 4. 

also it’s extremely disappointing given the fact lamps thought he was going to get three new players once that ban was lifted and now he’s left frustrated which is totally understandable. For all the crap united get they did sign maguire, wan-bissaka, and now this Bruno from sporting so he’s not done that awful especially since they just splashed out the cash again to strengthen. 

I agree. I think it places us in risk of top 4. The squad for whatever reason has looked stale for some time now. 

31 minutes ago, IndianaBlue85 said:

Spurs have lost their best and only world class player for the season and added two young unprovens neither directly replacing the player they lost, had that been us everyone would be losing their sh*t and certainly won't be claiming we've strengthened.

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

So you honestly believe the standard know the internal machinations at our club, a club owned by one of the most secretive men in football. Oh and also roman abramovich, who's known to be a total control freak with his businesses has completely handed over control of one of those businesses. Not a chance on both of them. Bruce buck has said often that nothing happens at the club without Romans involvement, from the smallest thing to multi million pound purchases. 

Stuff leaks out from every club. It's impossible to keep everything internal.
So yes, i believe it's true that someone at the club told them that. The Telegraph, Guardian and others have also reported the same thing over the years.

Roman communicates with Marina of course, no doubt about it. If i remember correctly Bruce Buck confirmed late last year that Marina was essentially in charge of running the football operation at the club.

6 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Stuff leaks out from every club. It's impossible to keep everything internal.
So yes, i believe it's true that someone at the club told them that. The Telegraph, Guardian and others have also reported the same thing over the years.

Roman communicates with Marina of course, no doubt about it. If i remember correctly Bruce Buck confirmed late last year that Marina was essentially in charge of running the football operation at the club.

Not according to this he didn't.. 

"In terms of being involved, in looking at new players, talking about whether to extend players’ contracts, do we buy this player, do we sell this player, [Abramovich] was always intimately involved in that from day one and is just as intimately involved now.

“He talks to Marina [Granovskaia] – the board member who supervises the football operation – several times a day, every day. Marina has been doing that for seven or eight years; that hasn’t let up or changed at all.”

The important word in all of that is "supervises". Roman runs the club, that's it. 

20 minutes ago, Argo said:

Spurs Chelsea have lost their best and only world class player for the season and added two five young unprovens not directly replacing the player they lost, had that been us everyone would be losing their sh*t and certainly won't be claiming we've strengthened.

Ironic they did what we have done already

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

Not according to this he didn't.. 

"In terms of being involved, in looking at new players, talking about whether to extend players’ contracts, do we buy this player, do we sell this player, [Abramovich] was always intimately involved in that from day one and is just as intimately involved now.

“He talks to Marina [Granovskaia] – the board member who supervises the football operation – several times a day, every day. Marina has been doing that for seven or eight years; that hasn’t let up or changed at all.”

The important word in all of that is "supervises". Roman runs the club, that's it. 

If you are put in charge of supervising a club or crew or what ever you are held responsible for the actions of your own actions and your club or group. Making sure things are done correctly and such.

It's basically running things in my book. Or what are Marinas responsebilities how you see it? 

18 minutes ago, charierre said:

Ironic they did what we have done already

While we didn’t directly replace Eden (because that’s impossible really) we do have Pulisic & Hudson-Odoi coming in to the team so it’s not like we’ve just f**ked off the left wing completely. 

24 minutes ago, Sindre said:

If you are put in charge of supervising a club or crew or what ever you are held responsible for the actions of your own actions and your club or group. Making sure things are done correctly and such.

It's basically running things in my book. Or what are Marinas responsebilities how you see it? 

supervise

/ˈsuːpəvʌɪz/

Learn to pronounce

verb

observe and direct the execution of (a task or activity).

"the sergeant left to supervise the loading of the lorries"

So basically work to ensure orders from above are done. She's a worker, doing Romans bidding, she has no autonomy. I can't understand how anyone can think otherwise, 

Edited by dkw
8 minutes ago, dkw said:

She's a worker, doing Romans bidding, she has no autonomy

I don't think Roman brought forward the idea to buy Danny Drinkwater and Zappacosta. Let me just put it that way.

We disagree and thats fine. Even the official Chelsea FC says she's responsible for player transactions btw.

2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I don't think Roman brought forward the idea to buy Danny Drinkwater and Zappacosta. Let me just put it that way.

We disagree and thats fine. Even the official Chelsea FC says she's responsible for player transactions btw.

But you think she brought those ideas forward? 

Responsibility on the paperwork and phone calls/discussions maybe but I guarantee she doesnt have any final decission making on who/how much/how long etc. 

Agree with DKW on this one. I believe our long term planning means the players we really want we cannot get now. Players like Sancho and Chilwell perhaps or whoever.

Rather we not saddle ourselves with more dross if we cannot get quality. Like with our young players development it takes time and patience.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Spurs have lost their best and only world class player for the season and added two young unprovens neither directly replacing the player they lost, had that been us everyone would be losing their sh*t and certainly won't be claiming we've strengthened.

I’m sorry but we’ve not bought a single player and our starting striker is hurt so excuse me for being pissed that the board have f**ked over lampard. Well we were after the kid from benfica I think and I can’t spell the Dutch guys name but he’s a starter for their national team and is far from unproven. He’d be perfect competition for Hudson-Odoi and Willian. 

Edited by IndianaBlue85

Interesting to see us chasing our tail over Mertens with 24 hours left despite it seeming very unlikely he'll be sold from all the info that is floating around. All too familiar story. Note to Chelsea: Stop starting your assignment the night before it is due.

Fair enough our main targets weren't available this window. Hopefully we can secure them in the summer.

Concern as always is with Spurs and United strengthening we have to make the top four to ensure we get those targets. Lets hope Frank and co can pull through. Next three games will let us know. 

For those saying we’re going to wait until summer, why on earth would top players want to come here without champions league football? This team isn’t finishing top 4 as it currently stands I mean we’ve got one striker who’s injured, no backups on the wings with pulisic out other than Pedro who’s been awful. I just don’t see how this team beats out utd especially after their recent signing and others like Rashford coming back.