Next new Striker

Ballack & Blu

1 hour ago, FRANKIE66 said:

Sancho is more of the same for me, his best position is AMR. Would he fit in to TT system and if so if we bought him who would we be offload. For me Gnabry is a better and has played only 19 games due to a muscle injury in February but still managed a goal more than Sancho recording the same ammount of assists in half the games. He is 25 years old and has more experienced playing for Bayern in CL and for Germany. Sancho hasn't exactly nailed down an England spot despite the hype. 

Trouble is we have zero chance of getting Gnabry, Sancho is on the market

8 minutes ago, charierre said:

Trouble is we have zero chance of getting Gnabry, Sancho is on the market

We come back to a risk/reward situation then as with Kane , is Sancho worth risking 100m on as he is unproven in Premiership made limited appearances in High stakes games? 

I think we a forget that all clubs have coaching staff who aren't there to just keep players fit or install players into systems. They are there to improve players we have and take them to the next level. TT Has installed the system it is up to his staff to train the players to play football. It always baffles me that all clubs invest time and money on players from 7 or 8 years old. Those that they deem to have good potential then progress to the u18 ,u21 & u23. Presumably these players are then coached the 1st team system , taught how to use both feet and generally improve as footballers. Surely with the ammount of players we have on the books we have players coming through that would be fine in the first team, if not its either poor decisions at 16/17 in keeping them or poor coaching. If a player gets to 18/19 having joined at 8 and isn't good enough to slot into the first team then something is failing along the way. 

14 minutes ago, big blue said:

Bit of a sweeping statement. 

Lampard had a decent record at the start of the season barring 1 or 2 games with a back 4, sarri used some these centre backs in a back 4 and also had a decent record. 

When you look how we play now, we switch to a 4 at the back in game frequently. Now we are seeing James at right centre back, that is even more of an option. 

Thiago silva is staying for another season according to the media, I havent seen any reports to the contrary. 

The defence has been brilliant under Tuchel, but I wouldnt be suprised if we look to get an extra attacker in the team by switching to a 4 against the bottom half teams, where we have struggled to score goals. 

I think the aporoach to how we defend, the way we counter press, and the way we cover spaces to safe guard counter attacks,has had more of an effect on the improved defence, than simply changing formation. 

You're right but how much would we lose in return defensively speaking with our current squad that clearly has more players suitable for a back 3 formation defensively speaking? 

Overall we conceded more goals under Lampard than under Sarri and one factor could very well be that we were playing a more open game. We were more direct and that resulted in our defense having to deal with more attacks and our defenders couldn't really deal with it, we conceded 54 goals in the PL last season, that's top 10 but we still finished top 4 despite it, the closest top 4 team to us had conceded 18 goals less than us.
During this season under Lampard we conceded around 23 goals in 19 games which is 4 goals less in comparison to 19/20's first 19 games so we conceded less goals and I wonder if those 4 can be a simple factor of having T.Silva in the lineup but despite that we had 3 points more last season and that was enough to be in the top 4 after 19 games.

When we really play a 4-2-3-1 again we won't have Chilwell and James playing as WBs, we will have Chilwell and James as LB/RB and Pulisic/Ziyech/CHO would be the wingers and that's really a different tactic from this one where our players can push forward without being punished for it, Chilwell and James and you can argue even Dave and Rudiger have been pushing forward and we don't get punished for it because we have at least 2 players covering for them, that simply won't happen in a 4-2-3-1, James goes too much forward or Rudiger tried to apply some pressure or to run with the ball and loses it and we're wide open for a counter attack, this has been an issue for Lampard because our LB/RB used to have this tendency to go too much forward and we used to get exposed. 

I'm just going to point out the obvious, Tuchel did improve us and we might look good in a different formation anyway but it's not secret that Liverpool is fighting for a top 4 finish because they don't have Van Dijk, that makes all the difference in the world from being champions to fighting for a top 4 spot and this is basically where we are as well and where we have been for the past few years since we didn't have a world class CB.
You can look at Pep as well, he bought for 50-60m Dias and Laporte and without them Man City would have been a much weaker team.

5 minutes ago, FRANKIE66 said:

We come back to a risk/reward situation then as with Kane , is Sancho worth risking 100m on as he is unproven in Premiership made limited appearances in High stakes games? 

I think we a forget that all clubs have coaching staff who aren't there to just keep players fit or install players into systems. They are there to improve players we have and take them to the next level. TT Has installed the system it is up to his staff to train the players to play football. It always baffles me that all clubs invest time and money on players from 7 or 8 years old. Those that they deem to have good potential then progress to the u18 ,u21 & u23. Presumably these players are then coached the 1st team system , taught how to use both feet and generally improve as footballers. Surely with the ammount of players we have on the books we have players coming through that would be fine in the first team, if not its either poor decisions at 16/17 in keeping them or poor coaching. If a player gets to 18/19 having joined at 8 and isn't good enough to slot into the first team then something is failing along the way. 

Not many players make it to the top level at that age. Neil Bath in an interview a few years ago reckoned that for a player to make it into the first team at a club like Chelsea they needed at least 100 first team appearances behind them. Only the very best play substantial minutes at that age. A point borne out that only Arjen Robben has better goal return for Chelsea during the Premier League era than Mason Mount. Sancho like any young player would come with risk, myself I have the feeling it would be a success in this country.

9 hours ago, big blue said:

exactly and poulson and schtick played through the middle. Not sure what you are disagreeing with tbh, Its pretty obvious Werner has played from the left off a target man a lot of times, with success in his career. The main struggles for him as been as a lone front man or as an out and out winger, which I explained previous was not what was suggesting. 

Because what you said is something like

St

Werner - am - rw

He wll be useless like this.

Werner at his best in transition so to get the best out of werner you want  

Werner - st

Am - cm - cm - rw

Or

Werner - st

Am

Cm - cm - rw

Essentially you want him high all the time. (no pun intended) 

6 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Because what you said is something like

St

Werner - am - rw

He wll be useless like this.

Werner at his best in transition so to get the best out of werner you want  

Werner - st

Am - cm - cm - rw

Or

Werner - st

Am

Cm - cm - rw

Essentially you want him high all the time. (no pun intended) 

I literally put names next to positions to show our selection options. The exact roles wasnt a thought. It really wasnt that deep 

On 20/05/2021 at 20:06, Sheva said:

Inter have secured investment so I imagine its less likely Lukaku leaves now.

According to a Série A following friend of mine, it's much more likely. 

They took out a 200 million euro loan at 14+% interest to be repaid in 3 years. 

Lukaku would be monstrous for this side, and other than Haaland there isn't a better option around, frankly. 

3 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Lewa breaks Gerd Müllers league record with 41 for the season in the league....

One of the best strikers ever for sure.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Maybe we have a secret bid for Bale in, he has issued a "i know where i'm playing next season, i can't reveal where cos it'll cause chaos, can't see him at Arsenal, so where?.....Barca, lol

PSG?

Retirement? He is fed up with football. 🙂

Edited by Night-T

45 minutes ago, PraetorianGuard said:

There's been a ton of good players that have come from Serie A recently. 

Sure, and Cuadrado looked great there. 

It's a funny league, same as Germany, nothing like the prem. 

35 minutes ago, PraetorianGuard said:

There's a chance Inter could sell Lautauro Martinez apparently.

Would be surprised if we didn't take a look at him.

Great striker but in the timo mould IMO, if we didn’t have Werner then it would make a lot more sense. I guess it all depends on systems. If we played with a diamond with 2 up top then havertz Martinez and Timo would work well all moving about the front line. But with a back three you would be putting Mount in a midfield two or dropping him or havertz.

He’s not a striker but someone which makes perfect sense to me is Rice, rumours were that Lampard had eyes on converting him into a cb and whilst I wouldn’t do that; if we went to a back four with him at the base of midfield then without possession then he could drop between the two centre backs in a sort of hybrid system. 

28 minutes ago, zolawannabe25 said:

Great striker but in the timo mould IMO, if we didn’t have Werner then it would make a lot more sense. I guess it all depends on systems. If we played with a diamond with 2 up top then havertz Martinez and Timo would work well all moving about the front line. But with a back three you would be putting Mount in a midfield two or dropping him or havertz.

He’s not a striker but someone which makes perfect sense to me is Rice, rumours were that Lampard had eyes on converting him into a cb and whilst I wouldn’t do that; if we went to a back four with him at the base of midfield then without possession then he could drop between the two centre backs in a sort of hybrid system. 

The real difference is Martinez is an out an out Finisher in the Aguero, Falcao mould, i like the kid..

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

The real difference is Martinez is an out an out Finisher in the Aguero, Falcao mould, i like the kid..

I really rate him too and if we didn’t have Werner then I’d prefer Martinez out of the two of them. Despite Werners struggles though he’s still a good player and I think he still very much has a place in the team.

Edited by zolawannabe25