Where are we going wrong?

Castiel

I read this on the clubs official site this morning and it reiterated something I've quietly been thinking for a while now.

...we've banged on all season that 4-5-1 doesn't work with Drogba at the pinnacle. Game after game we've seen that you either play Drogs in a 4-4-2 or you play 4-3-3. But 4-5-1? No. Most of our poor displays this season have witnessed this formation and tactic.

With 4-5-1 you need a technical, ball-playing striker in the mould of a certain Mr Nicolas Anelka. If anyone needed proof, simply dig out the recent footage of Chelsea v Villa in the league and then compare it by fast forwarding to the game against Villa at Wembley.

Why is it that nobody in the management has made this observation yet? Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing and expecting a different result? Clearly Drogs and Anelka are different animals and are not effectively directly interchangeable, but the management seems to think they can take take the 4-5-1 winning formula and slap our star striker in there hoping to make it even better. Which turns out being as effective as replacing a pickup trucks engine with a 6 litre 48-valve V12.

Granted, its a good idea in theory but once you've seen it backfire horribly in several instances; its time to scrap it and accept that you need different game plans to cater to our two main strikers. I can accept that CA isn't God and this is his first season with us and indeed in English football - but watching the same mistake cost us dearly over and over starts to get tiring. Its starting to seem like he has an idea of how he wants the team to play, which just so happens to suite Anelka, but he wants Drogba to do it - and it just doesn't work.

The difference between the 7-1 win and the 3-0 win shows that we're capable of winning either way, but the entire team turned up and made it happen at all costs for the FA cup. Unfortunately, that kind of effort can't be sustained throughout an entire season and the system inevitably suffers when we're having a bad day (Cite Spurs). Some people say its Drogba when it isn't. Yes, we've played our best football this season without him starting, but thats not his fault - its because CA's game plan doesn't suite his style.

Thats my take on it anyway and I really hope something happens to address this before its too late. I can see a serious upset at Anfield or worse - one of the home games. (Look what Wigan did to Arsenal and us earlier in the season) This isn't the teams only issue either, but I see it as one of the major flaws in our game. All it takes is a bad day and you can write off 3 points, champions MUST be able to grind the points out of a bad game and we only just managed to do that to Birmingham.

Source

I read this on the clubs official site this morning and it reiterated something I've quietly been thinking for a while now.

Why is it that nobody in the management has made this observation yet? Isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing and expecting a different result? Clearly Drogs and Anelka are different animals and are not effectively directly interchangeable, but the management seems to think they can take take the 4-5-1 winning formula and slap our star striker in there hoping to make it even better. Which turns out being as effective as replacing a pickup trucks engine with a 6 litre 48-valve V12.

Granted, its a good idea in theory but once you've seen it backfire horribly in several instances; its time to scrap it and accept that you need different game plans to cater to our two main strikers. I can accept that CA isn't God and this is his first season with us and indeed in English football - but watching the same mistake cost us dearly over and over starts to get tiring. Its starting to seem like he has an idea of how he wants the team to play, which just so happens to suite Anelka, but he wants Drogba to do it - and it just doesn't work.

The difference between the 7-1 win and the 3-0 win shows that we're capable of winning either way, but the entire team turned up and made it happen at all costs for the FA cup. Unfortunately, that kind of effort can't be sustained throughout an entire season and the system inevitably suffers when we're having a bad day (Cite Spurs). Some people say its Drogba when it isn't. Yes, we've played our best football this season without him starting, but thats not his fault - its because CA's game plan doesn't suite his style.

Thats my take on it anyway and I really hope something happens to address this before its too late. I can see a serious upset at Anfield or worse - one of the home games. (Look what Wigan did to Arsenal and us earlier in the season) This isn't the teams only issue either, but I see it as one of the major flaws in our game. All it takes is a bad day and you can write off 3 points, champions MUST be able to grind the points out of a bad game and we only just managed to do that to Birmingham.

Source

I was under the impression they were people????

Nevertheless, it's an interesting issue.

Interesting thoughts expressed by whoever the blogger guy is on CFC.net. Not sure about the formation with Drogba, it's just Drogs himself. He was terrible on Saturday, I'd wager his worst performance of the year. One particular blog I was reading today described his performance thus.

"At first, I thought that Didier had been told to put in his best Anelka-patented, second-striker impression but as soon as the camera flashed to Carlo screaming at him to play higher up the pitch, I soon realised that he was just being a lazy sh*t."

and then..

"This was the lazy, arrogant and idiotic Drogba of 2006 when he began to get booed by his own crowd at the Bridge. He offered f**k all to the side and I don’t care if he’s carrying an injury. We’ve got four games to win an historic double and if he can’t even be bothered to run around...."

It goes on like that for a while more, but you almost have to agree with most of what was said. He was terrible on the wkd, perhaps it is the injury I'm not sure but he didn't look up for it and it was one of those days where I have to try really hard to concentrate on everything he's done for us, so as to not become consumed with rage at him.

But in the end he just had a bit of an off day as many did, so he'll be forgiven if he scores against Stoke.

Here's the link for that blog

Source

I have said it before and I still maintain it that we play better with Anelka in the 4-3-3 than with Drogs. With Anelka we play the ball on the ground more often bringing the best out of the other two forward players in the front three. He also drops to the midfield at times to collect the ball and is in general more involved in the build up play that is Drogba.

I have said it before and I still maintain it that we play better with Anelka in the 4-3-3 than with Drogs. With Anelka we play the ball on the ground more often bringing the best out of the other two forward players in the front three. He also drops to the midfield at times to collect the ball and is in general more involved in the build up play that is Drogba.

Drogba has needed a hernia operation for weeks and has been putting it off. He was playing like he injured at the weekend, and whatever he was doing at HT suggests he either wanted to come off because he was injured or didn't fancy the 2nd half.

Drogba was quite clearly not fit at any point during the Tottenham game. I noticed it in the first half and was quite frankly baffled at Ancelotti's decision to haul off Joe Cole instead of Drogba. We were effectively playing with nine men in the second half after JT went off.

I have said it for a while now, I think Ancelotti is lazy. He gets the tatics right for the big games but doesnt seem to bother for the rest of the games, i feel that he just expects us to win. In italy he may have got away with that but in the prem you cant afford not to be prepard.

I have said it for a while now, I think Ancelotti is lazy. He gets the tatics right for the big games but doesnt seem to bother for the rest of the games, i feel that he just expects us to win. In italy he may have got away with that but in the prem you cant afford not to be prepard.

Agreed - totaly lacked focus at the weekend, and could have played for a draw after the Utd result, or kept it reasonably tight until we needed to push on. 2-0 down at HT was always going to be a mountain to climb. It was a game we SHOULDN'T have lost, we looked un-prepared.

He picked the side that did it against Utd, albeit DD in for NA. It was as though he was unaware of the danger posed from Bale who is currently in the form of his life, and a right hand side of Joe Cole and Ferreira didn't do much to combat the threat.

Perhaps pre-match they were sitting in the dressing room watching Utd, and we delfated by the time the game started, that's what it looked like. If they were CA should be giving them the same mandate - win our next 3 games and we're champions.

Thats is still the mandate, but after watching us scrpae past Bolton and seeing our response at the weekend, I think there's a bit more Claudio about him, than there is title winner.

I wish we would just play 4-4-2.

..................Chec.................

Ivanovich...Alex..Terry.....Cole/zirkov

Cole......Lamps......Essien......Malouda/Zirkov

...........Drogba......Anelka............

Really why is it so complicated... Put mikel in for essien and done.

I wish we would just play 4-4-2.

..................Chec.................

Ivanovich...Alex..Terry.....Cole/zirkov

Cole......Lamps......Essien......Malouda/Zirkov

...........Drogba......Anelka............

Really why is it so complicated... Put mikel in for essien and done.

Its a bit complicated because we dont have a player called Chec. :D

Seriously, though, I do not understand why we cant play a plain 4-4-2. Maybe because the a hell of a lot of running is required of the midfield in this setup and we dont have the legs to achieve that.

My take on the weekend is if the players had been up for it we wouldn't be discussing why we lost.

Drogba is carrying an injury but to me it looked like he was making excuses early for the way he was playing, he didn't run much in that second half but when he did I don't think he looked any more injured than in his last game..Ancelotti said that he ran the niggle off and I don't doubt it.

We do look a better team with Anelka and he brings other players into the game more often, If Drogba wasn't so bloody good on his day the decision would be easy but he is and so it isn't.

He has had some superb games this season so Ancelotti obviously knows how to play him when hes in form it works, He obviously likes the way we play with Anelka but its so hard to drop Drogba he keeps trying and hoping it will work.

When he brings in a couple of players with a system in mind he wants us to play we might see the team play the way he wants it to.

All good points but this isn't purely coming from the drama over the weekend, its just becoming more apparant now because we're in real danger of losing the title. There can be no question that both players and management screwed up on Saturday, but commiting the same fundemental formation errors and suffering the consequences over and over? Its really starting to annoy me.

Personally I think we should have stormed away with this title by Christmas, given a weakened United, stricken Liverpool and injury hammered Arsenal - the stars almost aligned to give this season to us. But every lead we built was wasted because of the same silly errors. It doesn't really help to rehash it all over and over though, lets just hope for a bounceback performance and not a repeat of the Man City catastrophe period.

Whats worse is, we're in danger of making negative league history and giving United their record breaker on our watch. I don't want to think about it any more.

I don't think tatically there was much wrong last Saturday. It was just the case that 1) The players simply did not perform to the standards required of them, and 2) we had one or two decisions that went against us, particuarly in the first half. The latter is significant in that had Malouda's goal stood and had Bale not made it 2-0 it would have been a different game.

Drogba wasnt arsed last Saturday but we've been here before with him , saying that ,he the type of player i usually want to see on the teamsheet every week, hes a world class player but you have to accept the other side of him.

Last saturday we did everything wrong when we went a goal down, we were either playing long balls up to drogba and losing posession or trying to play the perfect pass and walking the ball into the net, our crosses were shocking , we didnt control midfield which should be and we cant f**king pass the ball either. J.T. should take blame too, an experienced player losing it like he did cost us, absolutely no need to even put in a tackle there and its being coming . Hes rode his luck . The penalty was dubious and i still dont believe it hit his hand and how the referee can claim to have had a clear view i cant understand, if theres doubt then dont give. I do genuinely think if it had been 0-0 at half time we would have got stronger & probably won but how many times this season have we seen us start very nervous and uncertain ? After the Bolton game i saw signs that worried me , sloppy passing, playing the wrong pass, not closing down and giving opposition too much room and time . We have the quality in this side to win the premiership but unless we get more from experienced players like Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Ballack, etc etc, we will struggle and win bugger all. Another issue , Carlo comes across as too relaxed after a defeat , and Ray Wilkins is far too nice to everybody. I want to hear Carlo angry , maybe theres too much player power in the dressing room for him to stamp his mark.

Drogba has needed a hernia operation for weeks and has been putting it off. He was playing like he injured at the weekend, and whatever he was doing at HT suggests he either wanted to come off because he was injured or didn't fancy the 2nd half.

That begs to ask the question as to why he was on the pitch and Joey taken off if Drogba was evidently unhappy about taking the pitch. Its not the first time Carlo has done a blunder like that one - my memories go back to the UCL final when Roque Junior was a mere spectator on field for the extra time. Besides using all your subs by HT does not leave any scope for changes later in the game.

Drogba wasnt arsed last Saturday but we've been here before with him , saying that ,he the type of player i usually want to see on the teamsheet every week, hes a world class player but you have to accept the other side of him.

But that's just it - you Don't have to accept it.

I think Drogba's been nothing short of admirable this season. He's taken all the diving and whingeing crap out of his game, and apart from where he's clearly and visibly injured (e.g. against Tottenham) he puts in 100% every week, and his performances and goal tally have reflected that. I've waited for the day that I can defend Drogba against all my scum-supporting friends who label him as a diver and a crybaby, and this season I am proud to say that day has come. I also get to rub it in with that 'Drogba stopped a Civil War/got offered the Presidency' story. What a player.

Perhaps pre-match they were sitting in the dressing room watching Utd, and we delfated by the time the game started, that's what it looked like. If they were CA should be giving them the same mandate - win our next 3 games and we're champions.

Thats is still the mandate, but after watching us scrpae past Bolton and seeing our response at the weekend, I think there's a bit more Claudio about him, than there is title winner.

Not to derail the discussion but this is something I dont understand.

Everyone has been saying "Oh, Chelsea buckled under the pressure after they saw the scholes header." My question is what kind of strategy is it to have the players watching rival games? The ups and downs of what go on around us in the league should have had NO BEARING on what happened on saturday.

Let them go home, figure it out on their own after the game. If they hadve showed up at WHL thinking the Mancs had lost, and that a win wouldve practically iced the title, it might have been a very different game from the one we saw.

MAybe some would consider that wishful thinking, that in the modern age, players are always gonna find out what the score is, but it seems to me Carlo's line shouldve been "Dont worry about what is going on in Manchester, take care of things here and let that be the end of it"

Sorry, this has bothered me ever since saturday

Not to derail the discussion but this is something I dont understand.

Everyone has been saying "Oh, Chelsea buckled under the pressure after they saw the scholes header." My question is what kind of strategy is it to have the players watching rival games? The ups and downs of what go on around us in the league should have had NO BEARING on what happened on saturday.

Let them go home, figure it out on their own after the game. If they hadve showed up at WHL thinking the Mancs had lost, and that a win wouldve practically iced the title, it might have been a very different game from the one we saw.

MAybe some would consider that wishful thinking, that in the modern age, players are always gonna find out what the score is, but it seems to me Carlo's line shouldve been "Dont worry about what is going on in Manchester, take care of things here and let that be the end of it"

Sorry, this has bothered me ever since saturday

Whatever happend in that other game, the players and manager should have been up for it at WHL, it's clear to see, they were shell-shocked, and I can only assume the Scholes goal had something to do with it.

They should have been prepared, focused and ready for the game, and they deffinately wasn't!! - Which is partly their fault, but also the managers.

He should be sending his side out mentally focused on the job in hand, they wasn't in this game and they wasn't against Man City at home - 2 of our most crucial games this season - we keep letting Manu back in, and it's all our own fault, especially the managers.

The paralels between this game and City at home are amazing, BOTH critical games at pivotal points in the season, the only diffeence is we didn't get 2 players sent off, and amazed we kept their score down to 2 goals.

Once again Chelsea weren't focused for a massive game!!!

When a player* has a poor game; it's just that a poor game and nothing else.

*Except Drogba it seems.

Can't he just have a poor game once a while ffs? Why do people continue to churn out this nonsense about a 'bad side' and how 'lazy' he is?

To be fair with Drogba, he has had the hernia issue and late in the first half he took a knee to the back that look like it did some damage......

as previously stated I would more lay the blame with the fact he wasnt taken off, despite a combination of injury and poor form....

Ahhhhh. I like it. The old Psychiatrist's opposite's game............

Rain....................Sun

Fast.....................Slow

Fat.......................Thin

Vanessa Feltz............ Hang Gliding

Lazy.................Drogba !!!!!

What was it that nasty Clive Tyldesley said in his commentary against Villa at Wembley:

"Drogba must be the most hardworking defensive centre-forward I have seen. Ever!"

Fantastic. We cave in against the y*ds and it's all the player's fault. All Drogba's fault. Great to see it's nothing to do with the manager then. Tactics, formations, substitutions and all that old toot.

And as for "we obviously play better with Anelka upfront" let's ask a few Arsenal and Man U fans if they agree with that.

Jesus. Give me strength.

To play Devils advocate Just.....

there are amazing players who are great themselves, and amazing players who make those around them much better.

Drogba sometimes makes the players around him better, but usually he in the mold of just being great himself.

Nicolas, seemingly, has the impetus to make the players around him better while not being as "great" himself.

I agree that the lads have put in more impressive performances with Anelka, and I would have to say the stats help spell that out vs the lower teams anyways. I also think part of it is that the lads on the pitch have grown so accustomed to DD bailing them out/winning a game by his individual skill that they arent as sharp or aggressive in their play when they can not count on the DD factor.

I think its fantastic that we have 2 great strikers who are so different, it allows us a lot of versatility..... WHEN used right. Lets just hope Carlo gets it figured out in time!

Fantastic. We cave in against the y*ds and it's all the player's fault. All Drogba's fault. Great to see it's nothing to do with the manager then. Tactics, formations, substitutions and all that old toot.

And as for "we obviously play better with Anelka upfront" let's ask a few Arsenal and Man U fans if they agree with that.

Jesus. Give me strength.

So you believe it was all down to carlo and the players should not be held accountable at all?

And i agree that we do play better football with anelka rather than drogba. Maybe not as effective against the better defences, but it is better football.

Archived