The Return of Hiddink

Zeta

Not sure this is what AVB needs right now!

We can't keep chopping and changing, we have a new manager and I for 1 would like to see him given at least 3 years to impliment his style on the club, if he has Hiddink looming somewhere within the club the pressure may become too much!

Wouldn't want him anywhere near the club while AVB is in charge. We took a punt on a young manager, lets give him the chance to prove himself - the only way Hiddink should come back while AVB is here is if AVB contacts him and offers him a role.

But do you think we/AVB would benefit from that kind of relationship?

We know from experience that managers find it difficult dealing with Roman sometimes, would it be easier for them if they had someone like Hiddink who is very experienced to act as a go-between? Or do you think it would end up in a Mourinho/Grant situation, where the manager feels undermined because the DoF is a friend of Roman's.

You could be right BlueSkies. It depends really on whether he is willing to take advice or not. Personally I think Hiddink is just the guy to pull him into line and say I've been a manager for 20 years at the highest level and that is tactical suicide. Perhaps he could play an Uli Hoeness style of DOF and sit on the bench as well. But given the headstrong nature of AVB I doubt that or a return of Hiddink under any circumstance will be occuring, tempting as it may be.

I don't think AVB would want Hiddink at CFC if he were given a choice. Guus is a world class manager who's had a successful stint at the club and is still very popular among both the players and the support, so there's definitely a danger of having too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak. The only way for this to work is if Andre is given assurances that Hiddink won't interfere in his areas of responsibility but even that is a stretch and I can't see him being happy about the Dutchman's arrival no matter how the club will present this change to him.

We've got a young manager who's currently struggling to instill his mark on the team and is working hard to rebuild the squad that lacks balance and depth. Ideally, Hiddink with his tremendous experience and big personality and reputation could have been a great help for someone like AVB. However, what looks good in theory quite often doesn't translate into reality. AVB should be approached about the possibility of Guus returning and ultimately if he says no, that should be it.

I dont know, I would understand him wanting him to be a buffer between him and the board but could also understand if AVB see`s him as another level of management that isnt really needed. I do also think this link is complete bollocks though at the moment, a case of 2 + 2 = banana.

I think it would be great news if Guus returned to the club,whatever the role.

These Directors of Football exsist in most clubs in Europe & if we have to have one,personally,with all his experience,I can't think of anyone better.

Can't see why AVB would feel threatend by his arrival,if anything,it could be a fantastic way to boost his own knowledge of the game.

Mind you,as already mentioned,probably just a total waste of ink.

He had his chance to manage us, but reportedly turned it down. Now he stuffed up Turkey and is available, I don't think it's fair to welcome him back in open arms, even as a technical advisory role. We have a new manager with plenty of challenges ahead, it would be a silly move to distract him with a potential replacement around him.

AVB clealry needs a mentor since he lost The Special One as a friend and Hiddink would be the best man by far for the job, however we dont want some silly power struggle again.

I know its off topic and possibly going over old ground.....

but what is the gripe between Jose and AVB...

is it because he left Jose' set-up to go it alone?

or some other misgiving?

AVB needs to be his own man. Even when he was the same age as AVB could you imagine SAF being imposed with the likes of someone like Guus - nope.

Rather than have someone upstairs what AVB needs is a reliable number two rather like Steve Clarke was for many years to so many of our previous managers. Currently it's Roberto but somehow I don't think Roberto will hang around too long especially if a tempting job comes along.

I love Hiddink and would really like to see him at Chelsea. But, it would have to be in a role that does not affect what AVB is doing too much. Hiddink has a lot of knowledge and I think he can spot potential signings for us that wont cost us a fortune.

But what AVB is doing with the team at the moment is the most important think right now and he needs to have full control over that and not have someone else interfere.

I wanted Hiddink as our manager for years and was so pleased when he did actually become our manager even tho it was for a short time. How ever to bring him in now in any kind of role wouldnt be good for AVB. I think AVB would have to want Hiddink involved for it to happen other wise it could cause some unrest and we really dont need that. A team of Hiddink as an advisor or DOF and AVB as manager would be class but the board need to consult AVB first.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near the club while AVB is in charge. We took a punt on a young manager, lets give him the chance to prove himself - the only way Hiddink should come back while AVB is here is if AVB contacts him

and offers him a role.

Well said.