Man City v Chelsea (PL) 21/03/12 KO 19:45 GMT

coco

A win for Chelsea and a victory for Everton over Arsenal (also 7:45ko) could see us go into fourth on goal difference. Reason enough to really go for the 3 points.

---------------Cech

Ivanovic---Luiz---Terry---Cole

--------Essien----Lampard

--Sturridge-----------Ramires--

-------------Mata

----------------Drogba

---------------Cech

Ivanovic---Luiz---Terry---Cole

------Ramires-----Lampard---

----------------Mata

--Sturridge-----------Torres--

---------------Drogba

We're on a high and City are on a low. However, City know that if they lose this, and possibly if they draw it, their title challenge is over. Wish us coming back into imperious form and City's hopes and dreams on the line, it should turn out to be another cracker.

We win this and I will be very confident of securing 4th place, not to mention will get us on a real high for our CL QF. Considering it is at Eastlands would like to see us go with only one striker up front then if we need to in the second half throw on another so a formation of something like this:

------------Cech

--Ivan--Luiz---JT--Cole

-----------Essien

------Ramires---Lamps

--Studge-------------Mata

----------Drogba

May not be the best idea to drop torres after he has just come off such a good match but we need Drogba on the field for this one and unless we stick torres on the wing to start really don't think we can risk going to offensive against a team with such talented attacking options

Cech

Ivan - Cahill - Terry - Cole

Mikel - Essien

Studge - Mata - Ramires

Torres

Ramires on the left to counter Micah Richards' attacking runs. A lot of pace in the attack to catch them on the break and we have options off the bench in the form of Lampard and Drogba if things go tits up.

Also, I picked Cahill ahead of Luiz because I think Cahill is a better complement to Terry in terms of style. In fact my personal view is that by going on style alone and not on ability, Cahill should be the definite centre back. I think Terry and Cahill is our best partnership there and Luiz and Cahill our second best.

Best possible time to face City at Manchester but it doesn't mean they can't win it. We are in good form, we are on par with them in player-player comparison. I think we should use the old guard line-up we used against Napoli.

Looking at Roberto's choices now it shows what AVB did wrong. He selected the line-ups thinking too much. Roberto selects the team pretty much naturally and he is clearly thinking the opposition by choosing the players, AVB never did. RDM's line-ups make sense AVB's more than often didn't. I always thought he is a chessmaster of sorts picking out players but maybe he just thought too much about everything more than trying to win the game.

I trust RDM to pick the right player in this one as well. I think it will be:

Ivan----Luiz----Terry----Ashley

Ramires----Essien---Lampard

Sturridge----Drogba------Mata

Cech

Ivan - Cahill - Terry - Cole

Mikel - Essien

Studge - Mata - Ramires

Torres

Ramires on the left to counter Micah Richards' attacking runs. A lot of pace in the attack to catch them on the break and we have options off the bench in the form of Lampard and Drogba if things go tits up.

Also, I picked Cahill ahead of Luiz because I think Cahill is a better complement to Terry in terms of style. In fact my personal view is that by going on style alone and not on ability, Cahill should be the definite centre back. I think Terry and Cahill is our best partnership there and Luiz and Cahill our second best.

I like the look of that and I feel this is our best line up.

Very tough game but it wont decide anything.

Come on you Blues!

This game seems to call for a defensive team with Essien and Mikel both playing. I would settle for a draw here, hope that Arse slipup somewhere and hope to beat Spurs at the bridge.

Its tough for us to catch Arse, three points and goal difference is a lot, its just one win more but that'll take some doing. We could easily be 5 or 6 points behind after this game.

Anyhow a victory here would be fantastic, even a point though would be helpful.

Man City seem to start fast, but if they don't score early, run out of ideas the longer the game goes on so maybe soaking up the early pressure and hitting them on the break later on in the game could be the way forward.

Drop Sturridge and play Torres, his selfishness has been very annoying at late besides Torres will be full of confidence and just think him and Drogba will be a real threat together as Torres loves to take on defenders coming from a wide position of the box, give them both free roles with mata drifting from side to side in a nr 10 role.

Bertrand had a great game as well and proving that he can take over from Cole soon enough but I would play Ash for this one, big game and hes got the experience.

Love Cahill and to decide between him and Luiz will be hard but im guessing RDM will go with the latter, was a beast against Napoli!

Will be interesting to see how he picks the side but for the love of god play both Torres and Drogba!

Sturridge would be a good option off the bench.

Essien and Mikel is dicey, as for all their attacking talent, Man City's basic tactics are to look long for Aguero to chase, or get it to Silva as quick as possible. However if Mikel and Essien can also up their attacking game then we are in with a real shout.

-------------Cech

Ivan--Cahill--Terry--Ash

------Essien--Rambo

-------------Mata

Kalou---------------Torres

------------Drogs

This would probably match up City in terms of shape, give us lots of defensive cover and also the abilty to mave forward with pace!

EDIT: This also leaves us with a very strong bench

Lamps, Studge, Luiz, Mikel just to name a few.

Edited by shedpensioner

This is a tough one to call, we are on a high and are begining to believe in ourselves again, but to be honest I'm not going to take the Leicester game as an indicator; they were poor opposition and against a Pl side our defence (albeit maybe not the first choices) we would have given up more goals. I think the Napoli game and how we played should be the indicator of how we need to approach this game. City will be desperate for a win now that they are 4 points back so you know they will come out the gate looking for the early goal. Our defence / midfield need to hold them off for 30 minutes and they take control of the tempo. Two holding midfielders with a single point of attack to start the game, if we start to take control bring on another attacking player. Difficult choice whether or not to play Danny. I might start him as he will want to prove to City that they should not have let him go. Give him 30 minutes or so and make an assessement, if he hasn't learned anything from Sunday's game then take him off before half time. Love to see a win but I'll be happy to take a point.

i fear mata may get ragdolled in the middle, similar to what napoli did to him. in that game i think he was among least influential chelsea players. i realize that napoli played with 5 midfileders but man city are a better team than napoli. so this would be my line up

ivan----terry----luiz----ash

------------essien-----------

-----rami---------lamps----

torres-----------------mata

-----------drogba----------

I would pick same line up as we fielded against Napoli, just Torres in for Sturridge.But i have fears about Mata, Yaya Toure/De Jong will eat him alive.

yaya toure was made a blundering oaf and a c*** last time he faced mata. was extremely lucky not to get a red card

I think Torres deserves a chance over Sturridge tbh. He's been busting his gut for the team & returned the favour for Meireles instead of going for the hat trick, you can bet you life Sturridge wouldn't have done that.

City will more than likely line up:

.............................Hart.........................

...Richards...Kompany...Lescott...Clichy...

.................Pizzaro.............Yaya...............

...Milner.........................................Silva...

..................Aguero......Balotelli................

Subs: Pantilimon, Kolo, Kolarov, De Jong, Nasri, Dzeko, Tevez

I'm expecting a very tough game from a resergent Chelsea on Wednesday. Any of you lads going? I stand right next to the away fans :wink:

For the match itself, as much as your form as improved our recent blip is a bit decieving as our home for is imaculate. I'm not saying it will be easy, far from it but if we don't win this then the title could be gone. If the players have that in mind (which ofcourse they will) then i can only see a City win. Your back 4 still doesn't strike me as completely stable *something i would say about City if we didn't have Komps and Lescot back, fortunately though we do) and with your recent resurgance i think you will have a go at us leaving them exposed. Something you really don't want to do at The Etihad.

3-1 Aguero, Yaya, Tevez - Drogba

I've loved every second of this season. There's still so much for both of us to play for so it should be a cracker.

Edited by MrSkyBlue