The Decline of City's Season

mad_mac

Is it just me, or did it all start when Tevez started sniffing about their dressing room again?

I know we have had dressing room problems, but Tevez appears to be a diesease on any team he's ever been at. I can't believe anyone ever wanted him here.

Thoughts

tevez has won things everywhere he's been.

reintroducing him may be a mistake though.

like many I don't think mancini is a top manager. did well at lazio I thought, but unimpressive at inter.

this has been a magnificent bottle job by city though. we're all in trouble when jose arrives there in the summer mind.

Nothing to do with Tevez. Indeed, Mancini made a massive mistake ostracising him. He needed to be pragmatic and deal with it in the summer.

City started bottling it as soon as they lost to us, by which time they were already out of the CL.

Tevez may be a lot of things but he is not a bottler.

Mancini is distinctly second rate.

Absaloutly nothing to do with tevez who is there best player!!

Have said it for years about our managers and others as well. Money alone cant win you the league. It can buy you the sum of parts to facilitate the win but if you haven't got the right man putting those parts together there is only a finite level os success you are going to achieve. United are lucky enough to have one of the best in the business. He is managing to keep the trophy's coming in with cheap parts, old parts, and frankly some shockingingly bad parts.

I have to say I feel the same way about robbie D, despite his success so far which he should be commended for. Some people have it and some people almost have it but there is an absaloute casam between those two groups. Tier one containg the likes of Jose, ferguson, cappelo, lippi.

There is no logical reason why city have not won the league this season, so it must fall on the manager

With the talent in their squad they shoud have won the league, especially as their opposition has hardly been at its best this year.

I don't think that it is down to Tevez either. Maybe they have almost had too many top players there and too many egos or something. Some in the media keep saying that they don't have United's experience but I don't buy that. I think the players have plenty. When we won our titles under Jose I felt that it was the hunger to achieve firsts that drove many of our players, not that they'd done it all before.

Anyway, it's not over till the fat lady sings. But whilst I haven't been on here much of recent, our resident City fans seem to have been taking a break of late too. Strange that.

Also, if they don't win it this year (or even if they do) they will throw millions and millions at it again this summer. Jose seems a fair bet to go there and at least three or four top players as well.

Edited by Snedger

Blue Moon you started singing too soon.You thought the season was done , when you won 6-1.

They really should have walked what is a poor league this season. Undoubtably they have the best squad but for some reason they havent strengthened in Central Defence correctly and the LB position is weak. Their time will eventually come but they may have to wait for the retirement of RedNose. Question is will Mancini survive to see another season?

I can see City fans worst nightmare occuring, United win the title at the Etihad.

Edited by charierre

Blue Moon you started singing too soon.You thought the season was done , when you won 6-1.

They really should have walked what is a poor league this season. Undoubtably they have the best squad but for some reason they havent strengthened in Central Defence correctly and the LB position is weak. Their time will eventually come but they may have to wait for the retirement of RedNose. Question is will Mancini survive to see another season?

I can see City fans worst nightmare occuring, United win the title at the Etihad.

I can see it too, for United and their fans it would be the ultimate revenge for the 6-1. The gap is 5 points if United win as expected on Monday. If United were to hold that lead until the two teams meet a United win would seal the title. Looking at the run in's of the two teams I can't see United dropping a point till they play City. In that time City go to Arsenal and Norwich and have Newcastle away after.

It was the Christmas period where they totally lost the plot. They should have taken 6/7 points off us, WBA and Sunderland and took 1. Since beating QPR, they have not scored more than a goal in any away fixture, therein lies the problem. Instead of addressing it, Mancini chose to ignore it and blame luck/referees.

The FA Cup might buy him another year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone in the Summer. To end the season trophyless with that squad is inconceivable. They've been in 5 competitions and have the best squad in England by a distance and are only behind Barca and Real IMO.

Money alone cant win you the league.

Exactly and I know it won't stop people saying it but if Man City fail to win the league this year - it just proves that we never 'bought the league'. You need the right man, the right players, the right mix and most importantly the right mentality, money doesn't buy all that.

Exactly and I know it won't stop people saying it but if Man City fail to win the league this year - it just proves that we never 'bought the league'. You need the right man, the right players, the right mix and most importantly the right mentality, money doesn't buy all that.

But that would mean that the oppo couldn't use their hilarious Chel$ki moniker!

I've said the whole season that they will have a meltdown and blow the league. I was starting to question myself in February. And now they've duly obliged.

They've the mental toughness of Arsenal, and will have the same overblown reaction to falling short when United lift the title.

Oh boy, today looked like a horror show. I hate to say this but in the back of my mind I always feared they would fall at the final hurdles. Despite that start.

I dont think it was Tevez either. But I think the fact that he was allowed to do what he did and come back speaks to the lack of leadership in the dressing room and from the club. I was never a fan of how City built their team. While I dont pretend to know what the dynamics of MCFC's dressing room are, they put a lot of great players in that club but I just havent figured out the structure of things there. When the chips are down and things are going against city, who is the player(s) barking at their teammates getting them going?

That and while I like Mancini, he is no Jose. Jose thrived when the pressure was on. Mancini, while he has won trophies and is a good guy, has never been tested in a real pressure cooker like the stretch run with a team known for second half comebacks breathing down their neck/just ahead of them.

I dont want to see City finish second. But Utd probably walk their next four league games, while City face Arsenal next. Its gonna be tough for them.

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

I agree that Mancini is the root problem.

But I stil believe that Balotelli is a cancer. He scores, he's a great player. But he really is a distraction. Against Villa he threw a tantrum when Kolorov wouldn't let him take a free kick. Not exactly the unity you ned when you're down two goals in the match that may decide the title.

I was never a fan of how City built their team. While I dont pretend to know what the dynamics of MCFC's dressing room are, they put a lot of great players in that club but I just havent figured out the structure of things there. When the chips are down and things are going against city, who is the player(s) barking at their teammates getting them going?

I agree.

Who are the leaders on that team? Silva? He's faded. Yaya Toure? A good player but not fiery or inspirational. Next in line, believe it nor not, is Tevez.

And there's your problem. A weak manager and no real leader on the pitch. If they'd succeeded in their bid to to get John Terry, they might sewed-up the title by now. As it is, they look directionless.

Who are the leaders on that team? Silva? He's faded. Yaya Toure? A good player but not fiery or inspirational. Next in line, believe it nor not, is Tevez.

Kompany, I would have said.

Kompany is a good leader but apart from that , they don't have someone to stand up and inspire . Toure is a good player but he doesn't own up situations and same can be said about the silvas , de jongs etc., They have a very good team but their defence was never top class. Also they had too many upcoming superstars but failed to land atleast couple of established internationals.

I must say we are very very fortunate to have JT , who is one of the best captains ever. More fortunate that we had very inspirational generals like Ballack , Drogba , Ivanovic ( Yes I see him very inspirational and determined ) etc., Thats a big difference with chelsea and city of today.

Either you must have a very very strong manager like alex ferguson or a very strong spine in your team to attain succes. Well , a strong spine is giving us different kind of problems is a story for another day :wink:

Kompany is a good captain and their best defender, no doubt, but I strongly feel he's not that inspiritional to a title chasing team.

Not the kind of leader who urges his players on at every interval and barks at them to buckle up.

Look at the games they've lost and also d ones they drew, most of them should have been won even easily, but they kept bottling these games. It wasn't all down to the manager, it was more so to the players on the field. These were times when the leader would stand out and push them all the way.

They had none, meaning no inspiration and little leadership on the pitch.

For all Tevez has done, I would start him all games from now on, so far he's fit, if I were to their manager.

Call it anything you want, but, Tevez is the type of player you would want on the pitch the whole 90mins.

His 'never say die' attitude is the best City can get.

For one, i am so delighted we have real leaders in Our Captain, Legend and Leader. You then talk of Lampard, even Drogba. These players are natural leaders, kinda players City seriously need.

Btw, i wish City would lift the title, I can't STAND Red Nose and his glory hunting supporters. Starting to imagine their arrogance already.

Edited by Normal9ja

Bottlers, City showing that it aint so easy to do what we did, out of all competitions and wont win the title against an experienced Utd side who has been there and done it before compared to City who have no experience what so ever being in a straight shoot-out for the title.

And Tevez, he plays when he wants apparently.

I think that may be true, BB, and also Arguero seems to have gone off the boil lately (like Mata has done for us lately).

That, and with no help from Dzeko, who I think is an average striker at best, is a big cause of their recent downfall.

I agree that Mancini is the root problem.

But I stil believe that Balotelli is a cancer. He scores, he's a great player. But he really is a distraction. Against Villa he threw a tantrum when Kolorov wouldn't let him take a free kick. Not exactly the unity you ned when you're down two goals in the match that may decide the title.

Reminds me of a certain Drogba who's done that a few times... The Ballack - Drogba incident springs to mind first.

I mentioned that yesterday. There were a few of them on here that were ok but always had a slight air of superiority about them. Just a touch patronising at times. Really does seem to have gone rather quiet now though. Maybe they're all to busy listening to their Madness albums.