Chelsea v Newcastle Utd 02/05/12 KO 19:45 GMT

Every game is a cup final from now on, or so Torres and Di Matteo have told us today basically. Although it has been that way for a while right, at least since the Spurs semi.

Win all the remaining games and we have a haul of two trophies, and not just any two trophies, a likely top 4 finish and Robbie becomes the greatest manager in Chelsea history, funny given a few months ago we were approaching the worst season under the Roman reign.

We could end up back there should things swing back on this seasons every moving pendulum, but for the first of our three goals to have a chance of being pulled off we need to beat the Toon on Wednesday, hopefully in the same style that the very in-form Wigan did at the weekend (our fluky, hard fought win against them looks far more respectable of late now right?!)

So how best to set up for this game and for the game to follow, the FA cup final over a Liverpool side that have done us in the 4 previous occasions?

392200_Chelsea.jpg

If Luiz cannot make this one (also assuming Cahill cannot) then Bosingwa seems to be better in the middle than at RB, and Brana is often better at RB than CB so may be worth a shot trying that backline. Few question marks left in the lineup but would certainly start Torres here and Drog in the final.

Liverpool will not leave any space behind for Torres to use however Newcastle have to beat us as a draw and Spurs winning would leave a gap of two points on Spurs with the Toons next game being Man City so we should be able to get behind them.

Thoughts fellow Blues?

Yeah, that lineup looks fine. I wonder if Cole should have a rest though, since he has been playing literally full games of late. Though I suppose this is an important game for us. By the way, make sure to add the time of kick off in your title. :smile:

Looks good to me, except for Lampard, who I dont think can play 3 games in a week and I am pretty sure he will play against Liverpool.

I think Essien cant start two games in three days fitness wise.

Cole never seems to get tired imo, so he will probably start.

Although is tempting to rest mata too, he is far too important in our team play.

Bosingwa was very good in the last two games, but RDM will switch him to right back, with Ivanovic coming back to the centre.

My team would be:

Cech

Bosingwa-Ivanovic-Terry-Cole

Mikel-Meireles

Ramires-Mata-Sturridge

Torres

Edited by eldakar

Every game is a cup final from now on, or so Torres and Di Matteo have told us today basically. Although it has been that way for a while right, at least since the Spurs semi.

Win all the remaining games and we have a haul of two trophies, and not just any two trophies, a likely top 4 finish and Robbie becomes the greatest manager in Chelsea history, funny given a few months ago we were approaching the worst season under the Roman reign.

We could end up back there should things swing back on this seasons every moving pendulum, but for the first of our three goals to have a chance of being pulled off we need to beat the Toon on Wednesday, hopefully in the same style that the very in-form Wigan did at the weekend (our fluky, hard fought win against them looks far more respectable of late now right?!)

So how best to set up for this game and for the game to follow, the FA cup final over a Liverpool side that have done us in the 4 previous occasions?

[url=

If Luiz cannot make this one (also assuming Cahill cannot) then Bosingwa seems to be better in the middle than at RB, and Brana is often better at RB than CB so may be worth a shot trying that backline. Few question marks left in the lineup but would certainly start Torres here and Drog in the final.

Liverpool will not leave any space behind for Torres to use however Newcastle have to beat us as a draw and Spurs winning would leave a gap of two points on Spurs with the Toons next game being Man City so we should be able to get behind them.

Thoughts fellow Blues?

If it's too early for Luiz, Ivanovic will partner JT in the middle, I'm sure of it. I'm happy about Bosingwa's heroics against Barca but it was a one off and against QPR he didn't have to deal with much, since they barely posed a threat all game.

Newcastle are a different proposition. They are having their best season in years and are our direct rivals in the fourth place chase. They've got big, athletic strikers in Cisse and Ba, who will have Bossy for breakfast if he had to deal with them in the center of defense. Ivanovic is much more suited to those battles imo, and has enough experience playing in that position.

Decided to go with what Just suggested in another thread and use Torres on the right. Shame to leave him out after the weekend performance.

392609_Chelsea.jpg

Edited by abramovich

I really don't see the use of Torres on the wing. Okey, he's a good crosser of the ball and works hard for the team, but he's lousy in his concentration (and I'm a huge Torres fan). We cannot allow him to slip up his concentration like he did against Barcelona. If so, Gutierrez and Ba will double up against Bosingwa and Cisse will finish it off. He is a striker and will always be, even if he isn't going to return to his Loserpool-form permanently. I would however love to see Drogba and Torres partnership up front (2 strikers), but I don't see it happening.

I'm hoping Mikel will return, and I also hope that Lampard plays. Lampard gets better with match time. Ramires in for Kalou/Sturridge and Mata behind Torres, and I can fancy us winning again. If Mikel isn't back I'm hoping for Romeu, Essien isn't up for it at the moment.

Edited by Ozztheboss

This is how we lined up at St. James' Park for the 3-0 win:

---------------------Cech

Ivanovic------Luiz-------JT------Cole

--------------------Romeu

-----------Ramires-----Lampard

---Sturridge-----Drogba------Mata

However we still didn't dominate possession and they were lined up in a 4-4-1-1 with Lovenkrands and Obertan out wide and Ben Arfa behind Ba (at least in the first half), but now they are favouring a 4-3-3, which means they may be an entirely different prospect:

----------------------------Krul

Simpson-----Williamson----Coloccini----Santon

---------------------------Tiote

------------------Cabaye----Gutierrez

------Ben Arfa---------Cissé--------Demba Ba

I'd be inclined to keep Cole and Drogba (maybe even Lampard) fresh for the FA Cup Final, which means another start for Torres (and hopefully some more coal with which to fuel his increasing momentum). Other than Liverpool it seems that Newcastle are most vulnerable defensively to ball-playing sides so we might have to switch our tactics around a bit from the away game (although I am reluctant to cede the three in midfield).

The backline is another question entirely. Their front three are incredibly potent and Ben Arfa will give Bertrand a very tough game. I agree with ZO's point about the physical threat of Ba and Cissé so I think Ivanovic-Terry has to be the way to go. I dunno if Paulo is up to two games in a week so I would put in Bosingwa at RB (also for some more pace in the backline). Kalou and Ramires on either flank.

-----------------------------Cech

Bosingwa-------Ivanovic------Terry-------Bertrand

-------------------Mikel-------

--------------------------------Meireles

-----Ramires-------------Mata------------Kalou

---------------------------Torres

Edited by PloKoon13

Actually feeling confident for this one, think this will be the turning point for us to get fourth

A win for us and Bolton Wednesday, and our last two games finishing a draw up in the slums and a home win against Blackburn, and fourth is ours (on GD).

Since 2006 at Bridge in prem , CFC won 4, draws 4, toon won 0

This is by far their best team in that time frame however the way Chelsea are playing together

as a unit now is IMO as good as any team we have seen in recent successful years. Cant see CFC blowing it, keep Torres as hes on a roll, Kalou & Studge did well so they deserve another chance,bring back Ivan in the middle a couple more changes maybe & no problem.

Hope fully Bolton can upset the Spuds and 4th place awaits.

Keep that poxy Cisse quiet, very decent striker.

I'd rest Rambo & Mata, can't afford having him them out of the FA Cup final. Kalou has been doing just fine of late so keep him, perhaps only change from Saturday is Romeu for Mata.

If we start with the same intensity as in the QPR game then the personnel on the field would not matter much as they're all proven internationals. We need intensity and the drive to hit them hard and hit them from the start.

Agree with people saying Berty should start ahead of Cole keeping the cup final in mind.

This is the whole ball game. If we don't win, then we are relying on the final to make the CL next season.

I'd like us not to have that pressure on our shoulders. I think we'll get a result. 2-1. Frank pen to win it.

No resting of anyone please. This is a massive game, which could turn out to be very important come the end of the season. A full strength team is needed and we should only start to think about the Cup Final on Thursday morning.

Ive assumed Cahill and Luiz arent ready, so ive gone:

Cech

Cole

Ivan

Terry

Bos

Mikel

Ramires

Lampard

Drogba

Mata

Sturridge

Id expect to see Torres at some stage though for sure.

No resting of anyone please. This is a massive game, which could turn out to be very important come the end of the season. A full strength team is needed and we should only start to think about the Cup Final on Thursday morning.

Ive assumed Cahill and Luiz arent ready, so ive gone:

Cech

Cole

Ivan

Terry

Bos

Mikel

Ramires

Lampard

Drogba

Mata

Sturridge

Id expect to see Torres at some stage though for sure.

If Lampard starts I want him off at 60 mins latest because he's played alot recently and we need him for up coming games as well.

Hey guys,

I'm a Newcastle fan travelling down for this one (for the second year running) Just wondering if anyone can give me any assistance with underground. Looking at the London Underground website there is something about diversions etc that I can't fathom out. I'm coming from Kings Cross to Fulham Broadway can anyone tell me what this means for getting to the match: CHELSEA V NEWCASTLE UNITED: On Wednesday 02 May between 1815 and 2245, Routes 14 211 and 414 are diverted in both directions between Fulham Broadway (Jerdan Place) and Fulham Road (Edith Grove/Gunter Grove) due to a football match. For Fulham Broadway Station, westbound buses stop at Stop H, and eastbound buses stop at Stop R, both in Harwood Road near the Town Hall.

If anyone can provide any assistance it'd be really appreciated! Will be rushing as I'm not getting to Kings Cross til an hour before KO! So just need to know what I'm doing! Cheers! and enjoy the match, but not too much hopefully!