2012/13 edition of the annual who will be our manager thread

ozboy
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Later on when we get the alternatives sorted out this should turn into a poll. Its a familiar topic to most of us. The good news is the alternatives are getting smaller by the season. The bad news is there are only so many talented managers out there.

I think it was the AVB sacked thread where we ran through the candidates. No doubt there are still a few.

Things are complicated by the Euros.

My preferences are:

1. Laurent Blanc, because I think he is steady. However not even sure if he speaks english, so this is a bit of a blind stab.

2. Of the current UK coaches,

(i) David Moyes does unbelievably well but it is a completely different job managing a big club to doing a good job with a small club. Would he be able to command the respect?

(ii) Alan Pardew has had a fantastic season there is just no two ways about it. One season doesn't make a great coach though. But I tip my hat just the same. A great season.

(iii) Harry..... Harry could do the job in my view

(iv) RDM. Everyone will have their own view on this. Personally I am not convinced, happy to be wrong though.

I don't see anyone else in the UK.

Qualifications for the job:

--- Win trophies. Minimum standard is top 3 in the PL

--- Oversee the redevelopment of a great team.

--- Communicate well (speak english)

--- Understand how the players do matter as well as being professional with them (This is where AVB fell down)

--- Able to extract the transfer kitty from RA

Later on when we get the alternatives sorted out this should turn into a poll. Its a familiar topic to most of us. The good news is the alternatives are getting smaller by the season. The bad news is there are only so many talented managers out there.

I think it was the AVB sacked thread where we ran through the candidates. No doubt there are still a few.

My preferences are:

1. Laurent Blanc, because I think he is steady. However not even sure if he speaks english, so this is a bit of a blind stab.

(i) David Moyes does unbelievably well but it is a completely different job managing a big club to doing a good job with a small club. Would he be able to command the respect?

(ii) Alan Pardew has had a fantastic season there is just no two ways about it. One season doesn't make a great coach though. But I tip my hat just the same. A great season.

(iv) RDM. Everyone will have their own view on this. Personally I am not convinced, happy to be wrong though.

--- Understand how the players do matter as well as being professional with them (This is where AVB fell down)

I'm a fan of Moyes, would be happy with him. I don't think we'd get Pardew as he's only 18 months into a 5 year contract (though he's a Chelsea fan apparently?).

Another good PL manager is Martinez but he needs some more experience.

The most underrated manager in the PL this season (who should be scrapping with Pardew for manager of the season) is Paul Lambert. Look at his squad, those are all league one and championship level players. His tactical tinkering (plus a great season from Holt) has quite comfortably kept them safe this season. I know everyone's impressed by Swansea but Rogers has been building on what Martinez started there, and he's got far better players at his disposal than Norwich have. Lambert is still relatively unproven but I have no doubt that in the next 5-10 years he'll be a top, top manager - two seasons ago Norwich were in league one, their squad shows that, and now they've comfortably stayed up. Excellent manager, wouldn't mind seeing him here despite his inexperience.

I don't get it , why don't we just give RDM a 1 year rolling contract ? that way if things don't work out it will cost nothing to replace him.

Managers like security of tenure (just as everyone else) - most won't want a 1 year contract. In order to get Pardew, Newcastle offered him a 5 year deal cause of the managerial carousel they had going on before him.

I think RDM would take a year to be honest. Give himself a proper crack with a revamped team in the EPL.

If it doesn't work, I don't imagine he'd find it hard to get another job considering it would likely be 6 months to a year after winning the FA Cup and ECL.

If it does work, we can offer him another contract near the end of the season.

He has an affinity with the players (who just won the biggest club comp under him), and the club, and will not cost anything to buy out their contract and would likely take a lower wage than many other targets. It could work.

If we only gave him a year then the press would be linking every manager under the sun to us all season and if we had a bad spell then there would be huge tension on him because of the ease to replace him.

A years contract wouldnt be good for him.

Maybe not, but he might accept it and just do his best to make Chelsea work. He doesn't seem to be affected by the media either.

It's best for the club if we can offer him a 1 year deal, and I hope that's what happens. It's financially better, and gives him a proper chance to stake a claim for the position long term.

Obviously there are negatvies too, but there are negatives with every possible appointment, and it's more important that the club does the right thing than the manager being happy sitting back with a 4 or 5 year contract.

Ok if you was in a position of just winning the FA cup and CL would you take a one year deal? I wouldnt. I would want at least a 3 year deal because if you get sacked like AVB you get a nice big pay out.

I understand that, but I'm hoping RDM is willing to take a 1 year deal if offered and use it as a platform to build upon with success.

I understand that it's not ideal for him, but if he asks for a long deal, the club may not re-sign him anyway. Though that would indicate they do see him as stop-gap.

Maybe 2 years...so if he does well, sees out the season with a good result, but Roman still decides to go after Pep (or something), he could still get a payout.

If we only gave him a year then the press would be linking every manager under the sun to us all season and if we had a bad spell then there would be huge tension on him because of the ease to replace him.

To be honest, they could give him a 10 year contact but the press would be writing about him being sacked and replaced by someone or other every time we droped two points anyway. There's no avoiding that unfortunately.

And with no Jose option there is only one option - Robbie. There isn't one other name that makes me think, yes, that can't go wrong. (That's not to say that I think it can't possibly go wrong with Robbie).

Edited by Snedger

To be honest, they could give him a 10 year contact but the press would be writing about him being sacked and replaced by someone or other every time we droped two points anyway. There's no avoiding that unfortunately.

Totally agree and exactly what I was going to write. It doesn't matter how long RDM's contract is, as soon as there's a dry run there will be media speculation. The reason being is because we're Chelsea FC and Chelsea FC have always sacked managers.

There's no f*ckin' way I'd ever want Redknapp, Pardew or Blanc anywhere near Chelsea!

Give the job to RDM for a year, then extend his contract when he wins us the quadruple.

Moi and BlueBeard rather than Redknapp!

Don't know if the tables have turned with Roman but if he want's something else from the new coach. The circle started from Italian and ended up in Italian if you want to see it that way; Ranieri to Di Matteo. We've tried flair but failed miserably. Has something changed of what Roman wants from the club. Club itself have won everything they can achieve. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

If it is flair, samba and Barca-possession it has to be someone like Guardiola. If we have learned something the flair itself comes from the players but I think it also needs a coach who thinks that way.

If it is just winning and making the team ready for all fronts it could be an experienced guy like Capello.

My preferences are:

Harry.............. No way do not want him near the club. If the Spuds want rid of him cause they believe he has taken them as far as he can then why bring him to a team who want to defend the Champions League and fight for the title until the bitter end. Anyway if Hodgson has a poor Euro 2012 how long will it be until Harry puts his name in the frame and disrupts the whole team??

I do like Pardew and would like to see what he does next season think he has the potential to be a great manager.

Best bet right now is to give Robbie a one year deal see how it goes, and as I said in the RDM thread he needs to be given time, it is good to see an ex Chelsea player in charge though.

Marcotti is adamant that he was offered a year but won't take it.

We'd be mugs to give it to anyone other than Robbie.

First of all, he brought home the bacon, and when you bring home the bacon, you do not deserve to be ousted, simple as that, it will reflect poorly upon us if we ditch him, and it will bite us in the bum as well.

Secondly, what is the job of the manager? Is it not to get his players to perform? Did he not do that? Could they have performed any better? Have you ever seen Mikel play so well, or Ashley?

Thirdly, what is the job of the manager? Is it not to make tough decisions, is it not to do it your own way, is it not to be clear-headed? Well, as far as I can tell, Robbie decided upon his formation, decided Mikel and Lampard were his preferred holding players, decided Drogba was his main man up front, decided Kalou was a fixture in the first team, put Mata in the middle, and decided Sturridge didn't do enough for the team. Whatever we think about these decisions, he got them right.

The games came thick and fast, it was intense, there was lots of pressure, lots of distractions, Robbie stayed calm throughout, stayed focused, stayed confident, and guess what? It transmitted itself to the players. What more do we want?

I know what you all want, attacking football, and so do I. For me it was too defensive at times, but I say give Robbie the job, we have done it now, we have qualified we have won the big one that noose no longer hangs around our neck, we can relax. With the pressure eased hopefully the team can express themselves a bit more, particularly if we strengthen the squad, as we will do.

The priority for any coach has to be to make the team solid and Robbie done that. We stopped shipping goals and that was important, the most important thing of all. Upon that foundation Robbie can build, and if he proves incapable of building upon it sack him then, but not now, not now, he does not deserve to be treated like that, and regardless of whether he's a great coach or not, I'm afraid in this instance we have no choice.

There is only one contender for the job as far as I'm concerned ..

His name is Robbie Di Matteo .. Esquire.

Rather him than Pep every day of the week.

Its funny that a number of people on here are saying give him a year. Well to me that shows what little faith you have in him. IF you think he is good enough to be our manager then why only give him 1 year, why not a 3 or even 5 year deal?