Danny...a month to prove himself?

Chippy
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Watching the game today on a less than perfect stream I tried my best to watch how Danny took what I'd say was his best opportunity so far to prove he deserves the main strikers role and wonder what peoples thoughts are as to if he done enough to have earned the starting spot at least until January?

I've been in favour of a fairer share of minutes between Danny and Nando and would have started Sturridge and used him as a Substitute earlier if it had have been my decision but all these things have been argued again and again.

What today may have done is put a huge decision on Robbies shoulders starting with the Juventus game.

The questions for me are, has he got full backing in that decision? will Roman have any input?

I don't think there can be any doubt left that in present form Danny today proved he looked the more likely to score, he made the right runs and he got into the right positions...its possible that hes a bit rusty as his match fitness is obviously a bit behind the team but he showed a willingness to get into the right place and get a shot off that we have been lacking.

If Roman is still intent on Torres being the main man, should Robbie do what looks obvious and play Danny or should he play Torres and again have him on the pitch not at anything like his best?

If we lose to Juventus this could (only at Chelsea) be a big blow to Robbies prospects for being here next season.

If he chooses to play Danny and Danny does the business, I think Robbie will have shown some guts although I might be miles off when I put across my feeling that Roman is forcing his hand with the strikers position.

I think if Danny plays and there is improvement, we would be better off giving him a contract and letting Nando go, I wasn't sure of that until today but watching them both, I only saw one striker that I would send a scout to have another look at today and it wasn't Shane Long.

A new Man up front and let Danny compete for the place with no favouritism and no agenda, that would be fairest and best for the Club.

I will be gutted if Danny doen't start Tuesday and don't believe that Robbie hasn't weighd up his best chances and feels the same...if he doesn't start then I feel Roman is really making the Job impossible for him.

What do you peole think?

Truthfully, Torres has played himself out of the role more than Danny's played himself into it, but Danny offers us a much more direct threat which is what we need with so many talented attackers able to provide service from the midfield. Those runs he made today were very intelligent and displayed an innate sense of timing made all the more impressive when one considers his lack of time on the pitch this year. He didn't score and he erred when he failed to pick out Mata at the far post, but at least he created something. He absolutely deserves to be the first striker on the team sheet until January.

The most in form player should be played. Torres is out of form and the jury is still out on Sturridge. I don't see any harm in starting him as he's never been given a run of games in the striker position (for us). He was great for Bolton.

I've said since the beginning of summer we should have signed Ba and I've also been saying all season that Sturridge should be given time in the centre forward position.

You might give him a month or so Chippy but I am not sure his mentality and decision making will change during that period, its just the way he is. Yes he put himself about and in better positions than FT today but I am still not convinced he is a team player that will choose the best options available to him during open play, he is totally focused on scoring himself. I'll give him a shot because he cannot be any worse than FT but I don't believe he is the final solution to our ever puzzling striker position, even if he does reasonably well during the months spell.

Robbie is head coach at Chelsea, he is not the boss as such like Jose was, Jose choose the players he wanted, (except one, that is one of the reasons he left) Robbie selects the team from the players that have been made available for his selection, something tells me that Sturridge has upset one or more people at the club, majority of people realise that we need a goalscorer of proven ability, whether we get the one who most fans want is debatable, but my instincts tell me that Torres will start against Juventus, & your question will be answered, one of the reasons is that, keep playing Torres he may improve his form so his transfer price will rise, Sturridge even if his performances & decisions improve will still leave for free, so keep faith with Torres comes from the top.

Danny was better today when he switched into the role as main forward, but he was in many ways more frustrating than Torres because of his lack of finishing.

The encouraging thing from today is Danny was making great runs and integrating himself well in the play (albeit as a forward should, not as a fourth creative player) as Torres was doing in many of his games earlier this year. But the same frustration is always there. It doesnt do any damn good if the striker cant put away the chances handed to him.

I would definitely start Danny against Juve.

Excellent post Chippy, but i think (as do most) that Nando will start on Tuesday, although all reasoning says that Sturridge really does deserve the chance, simply because Torres has played himself OUT of a 'lone strikers' role, and NOT because Sturridge has impressed the management so much he has to start, which is a very odd situation at such a big club?

Torres

I'd go with Torres... Juve need the 3 points more than we do, a high pressing game from them could work to his advantage.

How will it work to his advantage? He is playing abysmally.

We cannot afford any more performances like today or against Swansea. I've backed Torres but in those games we might as well have just played with 10 men. He HAS to be benched now and deep down he knows it too.

We give Sturridge a chance or try the Spain tactic and play withou an orthodox striker but either way it will be better than starting with Torres.

I personally think both are on borrowed time as I think we will sign someone substantial in January which could spell the end of a huge slary in Torres and a huge ego in Danny's case

Who/if we sign a player, it will not spell the end of Torres or his huge salary, he could just sit & pick up his monthly pay check till the end of his contract, just like Winston Bogarde did, not saying he will, but he could.

Who/if we sign a player, it will not spell the end of Torres or his huge salary, he could just sit & pick up his monthly pay check till the end of his contract, just like Winston Bogarde did, not saying he will, but he could.

He could............

If I was manager it would be an easy choice for me. Danny may have missed chances today but he was bound to be a bit rusty. At least he looks like a threat in front of goal. I have no doubt that given a run of games he would score a fair few with the creativity in our midfield this season.

Unfortunately I also suspect that Robbie will end up falling back on the 50 million pound flop when it coomes to the 2 big games this week. Assuming he does I can say with a fair degree of confidence that if we get good results this week it will not be because of our striker.

Danny has to start Tuesday and moving forward. Danny didn't finish today, nor did he pick up Mata at the far post but he was creating chances. That's what we need. A striker not creating chances is a wasted player on the pitch. There can be no doubt that Torres didn't create chances today and Danny did.

Danny also did make very intelligent runs. That's something I haven't seen Torres do consistently for a good long time.

It needs to be Danny until January at the very least. And that should start Tuesday. I don't think it will, but it should.

I honestly believe that all the coaches at the club can't be stupid (i also DONT believe Roman picks the team either) so you would have to think that in training leading up to the Juve game the staff will be trying to get Danny to play/do as they want (which does appear to be his problem, as opposed to actual talent).

I, like most think Torres will start, BUT if Danny pulls his weight in training, the decision is going to be VERY difficult for Robbie, as i'm sure he's aware, bad league runs and exit from the CL do not sit welll with Roman!!

I honestly believe that all the coaches at the club can't be stupid (i also DONT believe Roman picks the team either) so you would have to think that in training leading up to the Juve game the staff will be trying to get Danny to play/do as they want (which does appear to be his problem, as opposed to actual talent).

I, like most think Torres will start, BUT if Danny pulls his weight in training, the decision is going to be VERY difficult for Robbie, as i'm sure he's aware, bad league runs and exit from the CL do not sit welll with Roman!!

It's good to discover that there are a few who acknowledge that maybe the professional coaches know more than the fans do! ::clap2::

Torres head is gone he will never be the player he was at Liverpool as much as the fans want him to be with him in the team we are playing with ten men give Danny a go what we got to lose.I only saw the highlights yesterday did Torres have a shoot on goal?