So where do we go from here?

Fearnley
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We have a manager no-one but the bin dippers like, a striker who cannot hold up the ball or score, our alternative is on loan and the manager RA wants to replace the current clown wants to manage Utd! On top of this (and as much as I appreciate what he has done for the club) RA doesn't see it.

So to put simply what do we as the fans think should be the next step for the club?

For me short of winning the treble I don't see how the majority of fans are going to get behind rafa. He has obviously been brought in to get Torres playing well but I cannot see that happening, he is simply not the same player (for whatever reason) and does not look like finding any form. If guardiola has decided on Utd, and I can't really blame him they are well suited, I struggle to see what other manager we can bring in unless we bring an upcoming young gun to the club

I don't like him at all but only a fool could deny the improvement in the defence today. Whether it was him (Rafa) or just the mentality of the players I don't know but it was much much better. Problem is the up in defending meant a downfall in attacking. As for Torres I don't see him ever coming back now, and I think Abramovich needs to accept that and move on.

In terms of the defence I would question how much he could actually do in 3 days? Maybe he asked luiz and Ramires to be less adventurous but other than that I'm not sure what impact he could have. And Zola, it is hard to get behind a manager that is hated, never mind one that we all know won't be here next season so how do we get behind that? I am fully behind the team and want them to succeed but rafa does not have my backing, some thangs can't be forgiven

We get behind the team and stop embarrassing ourselves. We really showed ourselves up today.

I didn't particularly want Rafa here but we have to support the team and at least give him a chance.

I actually think we did our selves proud today... i guess in life you get two distinct times of people... unfortunatly for me I have never seen the sence in just going along for the ride..

I have to say I want to use stronger language but out of respect for your normally very good posts I am holding back

We get behind the team and stop embarrassing ourselves. We really showed ourselves up today.

I didn't particularly want Rafa here but we have to support the team and at least give him a chance.

Why so? It's quite possible to support the team while maintaining an attitude ranging from indifference to outright hostility towards the manager,.

Its not going to help the team in the slightest booing like hell before a ball is even kicked.

We all know he has said stupid sh*te in the past and is a bit of a cock, but lets focus on the football and see what happens.

Fans forgive players when they join us from rival clubs, managers should at least be given a fair shot, even though we didn't agree with the previous sacking.

Edited by Zola

Hopefully, we can crack on, get behind the team and get a run going.

To be honest, I thought the people with 'RAFA OUT' signs by the corner flags looked like complete berks.

I was hoping that the fans, unlike the board, would get through today with some class. Felt sorry for the players, who should have come out to massive cheers and encouragement ,not boos, even if it wasn't aimed at them. Found it all a bit bizarre, especially with a minute of silence in the middle of it. Everyone is entitled to express they're opinion to the owner but when said owner is an extremely temperamental, volatile, egotistical billionaire, that's pretty risky business.

Like me, the majority of fans will never accept Benitez, but good results will certainly lessen the abuse to him and the board and make the whole situation much easier.

I know that most on here will disagree with me, but I was really disappointed today. I had hoped that today would be remembered for the support the fans showed to Robbie, instead it will be remembered for the booing and the chanting.

Where do we go from here? Well we have been a PR disaster for several months thanks to individual players,a poor communications team and an over reactive owner. We must be the most unpopular club on the planet right now and things appear to have gotten out of control, both on and off the pitch. If the stories of Pep are true then in my view he can only make one choice, and that is not to join this club, what f**king manager who is worth his salt wants to come here regardless of the money on offer especially one that can choose anty club in the world to go to and name his own price. It doesn't matter whether he would sign a 2,3,10 year contract, he could be fired within 6 months...regardless of compensation who wants to bring upheaveal to their families. Roman clearly has no concept of what building a dynasty is all about. Its about stability and clearly that is not a word in Romans vocabulary. These last few months have seen this club take a huge step backwards in terms of its credibility as a 'world class football club' and Roman can only blame himself for this mess. I would fire the complete PR team, lawyers, and other w**kers running this circus and the longer these clowns hang around the worse it will get around here. Roman needs to bring a damage control team in and quickly or this club just won't be seeing major signings in terms of managers, backroom staff or players for many years....

Where do we go from here? Well we have been a PR disaster for several months thanks to individual players,a poor communications team and an over reactive owner. We must be the most unpopular club on the planet right now and things appear to have gotten out of control, both on and off the pitch. If the stories of Pep are true then in my view he can only make one choice, and that is not to join this club, what f**king manager who is worth his salt wants to come here regardless of the money on offer especially one that can choose anty club in the world to go to and name his own price. It doesn't matter whether he would sign a 2,3,10 year contract, he could be fired within 6 months...regardless of compensation who wants to bring upheaveal to their families. Roman clearly has no concept of what building a dynasty is all about. Its about stability and clearly that is not a word in Romans vocabulary. These last few months have seen this club take a huge step backwards in terms of its credibility as a 'world class football club' and Roman can only blame himself for this mess. I would fire the complete PR team, lawyers, and other w**kers running this circus and the longer these clowns hang around the worse it will get around here. Roman needs to bring a damage control team in and quickly or this club just won't be seeing major signings in terms of managers, backroom staff or players for many years....

some of those 'people' do not want to end up like butch because they are on a nice chunk of change! they are not jose where he backed clarkey to the hilt! when i look watch the albion all i see is negative things in those 'people'!

Why so? It's quite possible to support the team while maintaining an attitude ranging from indifference to outright hostility towards the manager,.

Of course its possible but it shows no class. Why not boo and jeer Roman, he hired him. Rafa wants to coach a squad that can win trophies. In the end of the day, he wins one and he will get what he wants, a new job. And of course Chelsea adds to the cabinet and another manager next year. If anyone should be jeered its Roman but nobody will do that because he brings the billions...

Short term: Qualify for the Champions League and win the Club World Cup.

I think that's a reasonable expectation. Anything short of a league title and Rafa has to go.

I don't care for Guardiola but if they can bring him here great. If not, while I am one of Roman's staunchest defenders I think it'll be well deserved if all the high profile managers decide to snub Chelsea. He brought it on himself.

Long term: Continue efforts to build a new stadium.

A new stadium is the key to Chelsea competing long after Roman Abramovich. If Roman and his team manage to build a stadium without any crushing debt then his pentient of frequently firing managers will be a mere footnote. It will be his greatest legacy and gift to the club and he will have cemented his position as the greatest figure in Chelsea history.

All these people saying he's a stopgap, I'd like to know how you can be so sure?

Tell me who's coming in the summer and I'll give you a very good reason why they wont.

DB is completely correct. Rafa is not only our manager until the end of the year but he's going to be attempting to secure a long-term position either here or elsewhere.

Also, for every reason someone can put forth for why a manager would want to come here, that can be rebutted with a reason why he wouldn't want to come here. While this is true with every management position, we haven't done ourselves any favours in the "pros" category as of late especially with what just happened to Robbie.

I would not be surprised, if the team has a good run of form, to see Rafa here next year.

Please excuse me while I go wash out my eyes, hands, and mouth for typing all of this.

Of course its possible but it shows no class. Why not boo and jeer Roman, he hired him. Rafa wants to coach a squad that can win trophies. In the end of the day, he wins one and he will get what he wants, a new job. And of course Chelsea adds to the cabinet and another manager next year. If anyone should be jeered its Roman but nobody will do that because he brings the billions...

The word "class" is one that's bandied about with abandon, but is often often subjective to the point of meaninglessness. Same goes for "classless". One mans "class" is another man's crass.

Among Liverpool fans the prevailing attitude is that Chelsea fans are both classless and clueless for not accepting Benitez. Oh and they'll tell you he's too good for us. That we should be grateful even. Hilarious, right? Absolutely.

The problem with booing Abramovich is that so few of us have heard him speak.let alone have any real idea of his opinions. He seldom gives interviews. There exist very, very few direct quotes, whether football related or otherwise from the man. The only one I know is comes from a solitary football related interview from a few years back in which Abramovich stated that he had "fallen in love with the beautiful game". Maybe someone else can manage to find the rest of the interview, because I'm damned if I can.

What else? On making money he supposedly advised: "Do not assume that you will not got to prison", which is apparently a common enough saying in that part of the world. And now finally, the voice of Abramovich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRoIlWgaOhQ

Maybe someone would care to translate.

Robbie could have organised our defense like that if he didn't have the pressure to make the football look appealing to the eye as well.

Attacking-wise yesterday was as bad as they come and it was at home. Not blaming Rafa here as he had 3 days to make miracles but I'm worried he takes the same approach to the game as Robbie did last season as he took over. We have one of the most exciting midfields in the world atm and they can kill you many ways so if restraining their attacking freedom is the answer for winning is the key What was the point of buying Oscar and Hazard...

But we need to give the tubby some time as the sayin goes.

What sort of class does it show to forget that a Manager who came in and saved a season, made the Club attractive to some of the best new players we brought in by being CL and FA Cup winners when the team looked likely to end with nothing, was a legend as a player and made sure he'd go down as one as a manager in a few months in the Job has been sacked for a few poor results culminating from having an out of sorts striker forced into his first eleven every game and some terrible refereeing in a very important game messing with the mindset of the team?.

If any manager at any Club has ever deserved time to sort that out it was Robbie.

Where is the class in supporting the decision to sack him by suppporting the man that replaced him even if that man was a good fit? where is the loyalty to a man who has this club in his heart as much as we fans do?.

because we can't do anything about it should we support the new man? a man that only has his own interests at heart, a man who has taken over a team sitting comfortably near the top of the table with a strong squad one or two players away from being the best in the League? does the FSW deserve that privalige?.

People on here are spouting how the defense was already better, ignoring the many great defensive displays under Robbie and ignoring the fact we usually took some shots and created some chances when he was in charge.

We can get past that by saying "but it was Man City" so what...look at the chances we created against UTD, if it wasn't for the Clattenburg lunacy we'd have won that game with ten men, probably drawn it with nine.

Benitez doesn't deserve to work with a squad this good, he doesn't deserve to wear the badge of a club this good and he doesn't deserve our support.

I couldn't wish for anything less than good things for the boys in our squad but I won't be able to celebrate anything with him in charge, one day he'll be back where he belongs and people here will see sense, until then I'll hate him like he already is.

Edited by Chippy

Guest RFC_CFC

Well bloody said Zola.

I was ashamed by that show yesterday, only midway throught the second half we decided to get behind the team and stop the panto behaviour.

Hopefully we can concentrate on you know 'football' in the next few weeks.

Chippy if you feel as you do (and I don't blame you) then you are directing too much of your contempt in the wrong direction. Yopu're real target is surely the Board and Roman? It's a given that RB is going to accept any attractive proposition that came his way, whether Chelsea or A.N. Other. He's said things in the past and if his heart was in the team he was managing at the time then that is probably something we would all be guilty of saying.

Benitez had consistent success with 4-2-3-1 at Valencia but the key difference yesterday for us was on the positioning of players. So far this season we have been massively prone to overloads in wide positions, we conceded 2 early goals at home to Scumchester from our left and left-back zone, a similar goal away at Arsenal and in the Juventus game their wing-back Lichtsteiner enjoyed acres of space in the first half and the positional freedom given to Mata and Hazard had clear repercussions defensively, again, so evident yesterday, especially in Mata's case who was very queit. Robbie was acting under orders and now Benitez's is acting under a different set of orders, i.e. finish in the top 4.

Ultimately Benitez is the easy target but ultimately he shouldn't be in my opinion. And back to the board, from what I've read from you so far I believe you would forsake a 4th spot finish, however, the Board clearly will not for the sake of the CFC brand, sponsorship maximisation, attracting top players and economics. Imo The Board/Roman do need to sort out their act because a different set of instructions to Robbie/better relations and communications with him would have seen different outcomes in recent displays.