Not the best way to win over the fans, Rafa.

TorresBlue9

He's said to the media that Chelsea fans need to stop living in the past, say goodbye to the old players and accept a new era at Stamford Bridge. Fair enough. Change can be good. But to come out and tell us to stop living in the past just because we don't want to lose a player of the quality of Lampard is ridiculous.

Guest RFC_CFC

Not seen anything on this, where is it taken from?

I don't think anyone is living in the past, we have already lost Jose, Drogba, Essien, Malouda, Kalou ect from bygone years.

Most Chelsea fans I know are excited about the future with players like Oscar, Hazard, Mata, Cesar ect.

To be quite frank (hah...) he does have a point, he knows this inside and out through his time at Liverpool.

Moving the old guard on was always going to hurt no matter when it happened but it is inevitable.

Lampard at least managed to take part in the Chelsea dream: Winning the Champion's League. Wherever he goes (if he still goes) he can hold his head high with the thought that there will always be a part of Stamford Bridge dedicated to him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259209/Rafael-Benitez-heralds-exit-Chelsea-legends-including-Frank-Lampard-Ashley-Cole.html

I cannot enjoy supporting Chelsea with this idiot in charge.

I can't read a paper or listen to the radio or watch anything Chelsea related on TV in fear of the stupidity of the above comments, every time he opens his mouth he makes a gaf!

Without wanting to defend the interim, i can see no evidence that he said Chelsea should stop living in the past. Benitez has said that the club have legends who must be respected and who have perfomed at a high level and achieved a lot with the club. He alsp said that any team needs to continue planning for the future and to evolve.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9789374/Chelsea-manager-Rafael-Benitez-insists-the-club-needs-to-replace-the-old-guard.html

The article is actually not badly written, and i fully endorse the views that the team should not rest on their laurels and should be constantly evolving. This appears to be a case of the headline maker causing trouble. If anybody wants to learn more about such practices, i encourage you to listen to the recent Chelsea fancast "us vs the press". It paints a clear picture of how the headline makers often sensationalise such a story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259209/Rafael-Benitez-heralds-exit-Chelsea-legends-including-Frank-Lampard-Ashley-Cole.html

I can't read a paper or listen to the radio or watch anything Chelsea related on TV in fear of the stupidity of the above comments, every time he opens his mouth he makes a gaf!

It's doing my head in mate, used to be the first thing I did was get on the Internet for any news on Chelsea, now its all about him and his excuses, "improvement" or telling Chelsea fans what to think...as if he'll ever really be part of it.

Desperate attempts to get people to notice him and hope his next employers will be fooled, I never thought I'd say it but please ffs Pep give Abramovic a ring back, I don't care that much if you don't last, at least I'll enjoy the ride.

Nonotnowjims 1 step guide to falling back in love with the club:

1) stop reading the daily mail and/or any other trash rag which makes up such stories.

There you go, that is for free, although the book is availbile on amazon in paperback and kindle editions.

They're not his legends, he hasn't been a Chelsea fan for the last decade, so he has no emotional attachment to them, so what do you expect.

AVB tried to do the same thing, and whoever comes in at the end of the season will likely do the same.

The club has been trying to move the old players on and breed in new blood for a while now. I don't see the problem, Rafa is just repeating the obvious. Probably under instruction from the board.

After reading the actual article it's nowhere near as bad as made out in the OP. I'm all for getting mad at Rafa, name the time and place and I'll be there but let's get mad at him for things he's actually said, not speculative headlines and quotes from trashy newspapers, eh?

Guest RFC_CFC
They're not his legends, he hasn't been a Chelsea fan for the last decade, so he has no emotional attachment to them, so what do you expect.

AVB tried to do the same thing, and whoever comes in at the end of the season will likely do the same.

Exactly.

Some people take it to another level because it's FSW who is saying it and not someone else who would say the exact same things.

I would understand if they still weren't top class players who have a lot to offer the club.

These guys are still worth the contracts not just for what they can offer on a football field. These guys are priceless in terms of support for younger players etc..

As for the fat Spanish c**t.. I don't give a sh*t about him or what he says. The sooner he is gone the better!!

It's doing my head in mate, used to be the first thing I did was get on the Internet for any news on Chelsea, now its all about him and his excuses, "improvement" or telling Chelsea fans what to think...as if he'll ever really be part of it.

Desperate attempts to get people to notice him and hope his next employers will be fooled, I never thought I'd say it but please ffs Pep give Abramovic a ring back, I don't care that much if you don't last, at least I'll enjoy the ride.

He didnt actually say this though.

Lool, he hasn't said it, he's the fall guy in all this and, in effect, being used by default as he's the frontman. 

Lot of talk in general about Giggs and Scholes but they've played a limited part in Utd's success this season which is largely down to their culture and intro of Van-Persil.

I'm not fully comfortable with such potential wholesale change but the Ferdinand incident may see the possible earlier demise of JT yet, along with Cole - summer could be pivotal on a change front.   

He is sort of right but he shouldn't comment on these issues. Let someone else comment on that. He is sort of silly/stupid/gullible that way.

He knows football but not media. Maybe he is true to himself but I don't think that does any good for him, players or club.

Mourinho was a f**king mastermind in that area. Two steps above anyone in this country. I also like Carlo and Robbie in the way they handled the press and the media.

Never liked anyone who had red face in the press. That includes two people.

Stop press everybody. Benitez has amended his comments. Here they are ..

‘It’s easy to talk about the legends and we have to have a lot of respect for them. What they have achieved at this club is fantastic, but we have to have a new manager — English or foreign, male or female, Earthling or otherwise, it doesn’t matter, so long as it isn't me — and carry on winning or losing or drawing, it really doesn't matter, so long as I f**k off and pronto.'

'Everyone knows the legends have been here and what they have achieved, but we have to see somebody replace me. It’s part of life. It's what everybody wants. I really am a w**ker.'

‘I can see the club are changing things and thinking about being successful again. It’s not just, “Oh, we won†and that’s it. It's far more than that. It's "Get that fat Spanish waiter out of our club. He really is disgusting".'

'Petr Cech, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba have been immortalised in the history of the club after forming the backbone of Chelsea’s success, and now I've come along to f**k it all up. It's what I do. I do exactly as it says on the extra large tin of baked beans.'

Benitez added: ‘It is one of the good things about English football because people have good memories and they respect people who achieve something for the club. They also remember the things I said, and that's why I will never gain their respect.'

‘That’s very positive, but you have to think about the future — you cannot wait. We have to move forward. We need to get someone else in now and kick me into touch. So long as you give me a few Mars Bars I won't complain.'

article-2259209-16CF7715000005DC-811_634

Changing times: Fernando Torres can only stay on his feet if Rafa Benitez holds on to him.

article-2259209-16CF76BF000005DC-180_634

No deal: Ashley Cole calls Benitez a w**ker and runs away.

article-2259209-16D104B6000005DC-328_306

Benitez added: ‘Every year you have to bring someone else in. Last year I came in. Now it's 2013. Surely it's time for me to leave?'

‘Maybe in the next couple of years everyone will have forgotten about me and I'll have opened my own tapas bar in the heart of Liverpool, with a sunbed in the corner and a counter where you can cash giros.'

‘When I was a coach at Real Madrid with the academy, I was asking my players, “Can you go to the first team? You have legends there but I have my ambitionâ€. They said to me, "Who are you? You're only the youth team coach. Shut up and suck my dick."'

‘That has to be the way. If you want to keep winning, to have the winning mentality, you need the new generation pushing you. They couldn't push me because I was too heavy. Chelsea are managing this situation. They have hired a JCB.'

There are quite a lot of things to have a go at the interim but this is just hacks sh*tstirring nothing to see here.

I could be wrong but he is at least treating Lampard with respect compared to AVB who seemed to try and treat him like a naughty child. It seems more of an attempt to talk up the likes of our new players rather than a dig at anyone.

He didnt actually say this though.

Mate, do you think it matters to me if he said it or not...stick on the ground, pick it up and beat him with it I say.

If he didn't sayhit, he thought it and if he didn't think it he was happy when he read it.

He needs to be gone, preferably before the kick off tonight.

The trouble is that with every twist and crazy, rushed decision, any decent managers who may need a year or so to get their squad together will be put off. Guardiola seems like the sort of guy who would not wish to be sacked after a few bad games, why would he choose us over a more stable equivalent. It is however and extremely attractive option for anyone wishing to make a fast buck. Sign a three contract, have a bad run and a massive pay-off for failing, far better than sticking out the three years for the same money. AVB has now got a job and a fat bank balance (RM, Ancellotti, Hiddink, Ranieri, Avram, Scolari have all got fat bank balances from us and decent jobs also because many others don't see them as complete failure, RDM will be joining them shortly).

God knows what we've paid out over the last 1o years in signing on fees, wages and pay-offs but I'll bet it's cleared a few mortgages. 

Archived