Fabio Coentrao

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Available for around â‚¬18 million, according to Marca.

http://www.marca.com/2013/05/03/en/football/real_madrid/1367562107.html

With Cole leaving after next season, he may be worth a punt, imo. Ryan is a hard worker, but wil never be more than a backup in a team like Chelsea. 

Ideally, I'd buy Shaw and send him back on loan to Southampton, and in a year or so we'll be set in the LB posaition with Coentrao/Shaw combo.

P.S. Sorry, meant this for "Rumors" section.

Edited by abramovich

I disagree that Ryan ''will never be more than a backup for Chelsea'' , I mean yes there is alot of room for improvement as he still lacks the experience, but I think he put in some good performances this year. Hes a good 2nd choice left-back while we still have Ash, and wen ash hangs his boots shaw( assuming we get him)and bertrand could compete for the place.

Coentrao is great only when given total freedom to get forward, like he did in Benfica. This means having a winger who can track back efficiently to cover for him.

I disagree that Ryan ''will never be more than a backup for Chelsea'' , I mean yes there is alot of room for improvement as he still lacks the experience, but I think he put in some good performances this year. Hes a good 2nd choice left-back while we still have Ash, and wen ash hangs his boots shaw( assuming we get him)and bertrand could compete for the place.

Coentrao is great only when given total freedom to get forward, like he did in Benfica. This means having a winger who can track back efficiently to cover for him.

Well that's not true at all.

Edited by Remodez

Don't forget that we also have a young left back tearing up the Dutch league at the moment. Despite that I'd be happy if we do get Luke Shaw. Him, Bertrand and PvA all have the potential to be our first choice LB.

I have always been a fan of him when he goes forward but i am not so sure how good he is defensively.

Same here, dives in far too much for my liking and his positioning isn't the greatest. Very good going forward though.

He had is chance to come here and chose Madrid,very good player though.But since then i have seen Luke Shaw and he's the guy i want to replace Cole,looks a real prospect.

Shaw is still 17 though isn't he?  While a great prospect would you trust him holding the line against some of the wingers he'd meet in the Champions League?  Bale had the beating of him last weekend.  I think he's great too but it's far too early for him to come to Chelsea.  At best I'd like to buy and loan him back for now.  He's a Chelsea fan and a great prospect, we'd be foolish to let that slip away - but I don't think he's the immediate answer to the Cole question. 

Edited by Castiel

Shaw is still 17 though isn't he?  While a great prospect would you trust him holding the line against some of the wingers he'd meet in the Champions League?  Bale had the beating of him last weekend.  I think he's great too but it's far too early for him to come to Chelsea.  At best I'd like to buy and loan him back for now.  He's a Chelsea fan and a great prospect, we'd be foolish to let that slip away - but I don't think he's the immediate answer to the Cole question. 

Has there been a significant downgrade, or any at all for that matter from Bertrand to Cole over the last few games? Cole's not what he was, and at this stage, he's certainly replaceable.

Yep he is 17 and i agree that if we did by him in the summer i think to loan him back would be good for both parties and get Shaw back when Cole leaves.

Has there been a significant downgrade, or any at all for that matter from Bertrand to Cole over the last few games? Cole's not what he was, and at this stage, he's certainly replaceable.

Bertrand isn't close to a young Cole though and that's what we should be aiming for.  We probably won't find someone as good, but we need a top left-back.  If Shaw is destined to become world class, that'll be fantastic; but Cole is getting old and Bertrand doesn't look like he'll come close to the same levels.  Though I don't know if Coentrao is capable of filling those boots defensively, because I haven't watched him enough.

Bertrand isn't close to a young Cole though and that's what we should be aiming for.  We probably won't find someone as good, but we need a top left-back.  If Shaw is destined to become world class, that'll be fantastic; but Cole is getting old and Bertrand doesn't look like he'll come close to the same levels.  Though I don't know if Coentrao is capable of filling those boots defensively, because I haven't watched him enough.

I'm not saying that, im saying who ever we buy, won't be a very big downgrade (presuming we don't go out and buy Andre Santos). Further we need a young Cole or not is debatable, if they are looking for something in the region for £20M, i'd be happy to stick with Bertrand and PvA.

I'm not saying that, im saying who ever we buy, won't be a very big downgrade (presuming we don't go out and buy Andre Santos). Further we need a young Cole or not is debatable, if they are looking for something in the region for £20M, i'd be happy to stick with Bertrand and PvA.

I'm working from the Marca price of 18m Euros.  All transfer gossip but if Marca are flogging a RM player he must be available.  I agree it wouldn't be worth upgrading on Bertrand for £20M+ unless we're going for a substantially better player.    

I'm working from the Marca price of 18m Euros.  All transfer gossip but if Marca are flogging a RM player he must be available.  I agree it wouldn't be worth upgrading on Bertrand for £20M+ unless we're going for a substantially better player.    

I was talking about shaw at 20M. Bertie's recent form, and De vissier's on PvA comments give me enough faith that we're ok. Open to a shaw transfer, just not at a high rate..

Edited by Damo810

id rather have marcelo

Why? He's not a better defender than Coentrao and he's only slightly better going forward in terms of dribbling. 

Think people in general underrate Coentrao's defending, he has the highest interception % and only Ramos has a higher tackle success rate but he's a CB and has played more games. For someone who's apparently too aggressive and dives in too easily, he's doesn't conceded a lot of fouls and he's only got like 4 or 5 yellow cards in a league where players go flying with the slightest touch.

I'm normally one of the ones who wants us to use our youngsters and I don't think it's any secret I'm a Bertrand fan but you don't turn down players of Coentrao's quality for prices like that. 

Why? He's not a better defender than Coentrao and he's only slightly better going forward in terms of dribbling. 

marcelo has better workrate and is a far better athlete. overall marcelo is a better player IMO

he appears to be very passionate and ups his game when going gets tough

real have really missed him this season

he plays these ridiculous one-twos that would make him combine really well wit hazard

Edited by Lane

The biggest issue we have with our left fullbacks is that Bertrand and Cole have been poor and unwilling in attack this year. 

It's not longer acceptable to have a fullback who is a "defender first and foremost"- it may win you cup games, but it will cost you dearly in the long run over the season. Considering that as a top team 90% of the teams we meet will play conservatively with two banks of four men, we need fullbacks that are capable and willing to get into good crossing positions especially behind their fullback. Neither Cole nor Bertrand have offered that this season. Cole has been even worse in possession, consistently getting caught in a very poor position (the top-left of the penalty area) with little option but to pass predictably backward and putting the defense under pressure. A fullback losing the ball in that position a) doesn't have a winger behind him to cover and b) can rarely get back in time to amend mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...

This story has appeared again via radio Marca.

Still saying 18m and they claim a deal will be announced at the same time as Jose's return.

It's all over twatter so it must be true, right!

Eugh. Just buy Luke Shaw and loan him out for this year. Then when Ashley goes, bring Shaw back to compete with Bertrand. Simples.

FWIW, virtually the entire Real Madrid squad has been linked with us in recent weeks. Coentrao would probably be at the bottom of my list, to be honest. Di Maria or Khedira would be solid additions, Varane would be brilliant but doesn't seem feasible.

Edited by Celery1989