Zouma - If Kurt's Happy, I'm Happy!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

ACL injuries arent the death centence it used to be. Athmetes these days mostly come back 100% and after rehab many of them have knees that are not only stronger but more stabile then before the tear, simply due to the increased focus on strength training. The main problem usually has to do with the mental side of it. Ive had patients who (Im a physiotherapist) that score the highest mark on strength and stability tests, but still feel theres a problem with their. Physically they are fine, but mentally they are still "injured"

is he the first player we have had, of whom has had a terrible long term injury like this? i don't remember many players with bad injuries for us. 

We've had a fair few who have had the same injury in recent years.

Michael Essien ( twice, second one finished him ), Joe Cole, Paulo Ferreira, Van Ginkel and Oriol Romeu.

Here is some information about ACL tears in athletes. This doctor, who was referring to a basketball player, said the recovery is 9 to 12 months. I imagine there are varying degrees of tears though. It's interesting what he said about fatigue and ACL tears.

A more scientific explanation of ACL surgery. They cut off part of your hamstring and attach that to your knee :shok: As you can imagine, one possible side effect is weakening of the hamstring. :sad:

This video shows an MLS player representing Hondurus tearing both the ACL and PCL (posterior cruciate ligament). Click on the link at your own discretion. You've been warned.

And finally for a stupidity award, this guy tore his ACL celebrating :laugh2: Sports Darwinism at its best.

I've had the ACL surgery, and little claim to fame, it was the same doctor who did RVNs surgery. Me personally I can say I have never been the same, but I'm not a proff football player with the after care they receive. I did have my hamstring grafted and I can tell you there is no way a professional athlete will have the same. It's like creating anout injury.

Is it an actual tear or just an injury to the ACL? If it isn't a tear then that's good news, hopefully he'll be back as strong and fast as ever. Walcott recovered pretty well from it, as have quite a few other players, and zouma has his age on his side, I'm optimistic, but still devastated that we've lost him for the rest of the season

Is it an actual tear or just an injury to the ACL? If it isn't a tear then that's good news, hopefully he'll be back as strong and fast as ever. Walcott recovered pretty well from it, as have quite a few other players, and zouma has his age on his side, I'm optimistic, but still devastated that we've lost him for the rest of the season

think if it was a tear then there would be reports of him being out for longer than 6 months

fingers crossed anyway. 

Edited by CFC_RFC_TID!

The wording has been a little vague

Chelsea Football Club's medical team have diagnosed that Kurt Zouma sustained an injury to his anterior cruciate ligament during yesterday’s (Sunday) Premier League game against Manchester United.

Kurt will undergo surgery in the next 48 hours and is expected to be out for approximately six months.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/types-of-acl-injuries-topic-overview

Hmm good question. Is there a way to injure the ACL such that it would require surgery that isn't a tear? Maybe it's a minor tear? A minor tear is still a major injury but not one that would put him out more than a season. Maybe they won't know the full extent of the damage until they cut it open?

Fingers crossed. What an awful thing for anybody to go through.

I've had the ACL surgery, and little claim to fame, it was the same doctor who did RVNs surgery. Me personally I can say I have never been the same, but I'm not a proff football player with the after care they receive. I did have my hamstring grafted and I can tell you there is no way a professional athlete will have the same. It's like creating anout injury.

How did you tear it? How long did it take to fully heal? And what would a professional athlete get instead of the hamstring surgery?

Hmm good question. Is there a way to injure the ACL such that it would require surgery that isn't a tear? Maybe it's a minor tear? A minor tear is still a major injury but not one that would put him out more than a season. Maybe they won't know the full extent of the damage until they cut it open?

Fingers crossed. What an awful thing for anybody to go through.

An anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury often is called a sprain. A sprain occurs when the threads or fibers of the ligament stretch or are torn.

An ACL injury is classified as a grade I, II, or III sprain.

Grade I sprain

The fibers of the ligament are stretched, but there is no tear.

There is a little tenderness and swelling.

The knee does not feel unstable or give out during activity.

Grade II sprain

The fibers of the ligament are partially torn.

There is a little tenderness and moderate swelling.

The joint may feel unstable or give out during activity.

Grade III sprain

The fibers of the ligament are completely torn (ruptured); the ligament itself has torn completely into two parts.

There is tenderness (but not a lot of pain, especially when compared to the seriousness of the injury). There may be a little swelling or a lot of swelling.

The ligament cannot control knee movements. The knee feels unstable or gives out at certain times.

An ACL avulsion occurs when the ACL is torn away from either the upper leg bone or lower leg bone. This type of injury is more common in children than adults.

An avulsion fracture occurs when the ACL is torn away from the leg bone with a piece of the bone.

Edited by Zola

Reports I read are that Zouma suffered a ‘rupture’ of his ACL. 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/08/chelsea-kurt-zouma-injury-knee-six-months

Edited by Socrates

I wished you added Stones in that comparison - IMHO Zouma was looking great vs manure - when he went out manure scored

Just before his injury, in front of the goal, he looked great against Fellaini, please some techi type post the clip? Zinc maybe?

How did you tear it? How long did it take to fully heal? And what would a professional athlete get instead of the hamstring surgery?

I played on a pitch (21 as well) thst was to muddy, I tried a double drag on my standing foot got stuck in the mud while my decided to follow my body around. I knew it was ligaments straight away, knee swelled like crazy, had to be sedated on the way to hospital. The ER doctor got it all ring and said I'd strained it. 6 months later I was still on crutches and the did and mri realising that both my cruciet and lateral ligament was torn. I was advised to work on my quads but my knee had no stability so it kept jumping out.. Eventually I got am operation and haven't dislocated since. In terms of treatment I had NHS intensive physio therapy 5 days a week for 3 months. Took me 18 months to play football again. I tried a few times before but just didn't have the movement. Zouma will have the full attention of the best in the business at restoring all the supporting muscles. As for the hamstring, I asked this question at the time of my op, I think some one told me about some kind of harvested solution.

If you consider the players mentioned before, Joe Cole, never the same, essien, a shadow of his former self

Kurt is young enough to make a good recovery. Years ago this injury was a career finisher, medical science though has improved the recovery rates significantly. Shearer for example came back just as strong. My only fear with Kurt is how the injury has affected him mentally, he was in a lot of pain when he initially did it judging by his screams.

Scan today has shown I injured my ACL. I will have surgery this week & will come back stronger. Thank you everyone for all the messages

/\ on his twitter. He's also a spiritual guy apparently and that can help some.

Edited by Droogba

• 2 weeks later...