Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dkw

captain gerrard avoiding press conferences

I see that f**king sh*thouse captain has avoided another press conference, stand up and be counted you useless get. Did the same in South africa too, bet he would turn up after a win. Great captaincy.

I see that f**king sh*thouse captain has avoided another press conference, stand up and be counted you useless get. Did the same in South africa too, bet he would turn up after a win. Great captaincy.

What presser has he dodged this time?

Farcical to be honest that they shoved Jagielka out to the slaughter house after the Uruguay game.

All the rave about him being "The Big Game Player".

Leage Cup Final - Back pass to Drogba

Euro 2004 - Back pass to Henry

(probably a few more)

Our recent trip to Anfield - Slip which most likely cost them the title

World Cup group stage - header to Suarez.

You could argue that at least two of those would have resulted in a trophy for Liverpool if he didn't make a mistake.

I don't know why Roy wants him to stay on or why anyone thinks his "experience" is at all valuable to the team. He's proven throughout his career that he completely lacks composure.

This was an apology press conference, of course he's going to skip it. I feel sorry for Rooney, he was made the potential scapegoat before even playing, scores and assists one and gets made to be the main man to say sorry. 

Wow, Gary Lineker's just criticised Gerrard on the Guardian Website:

"Steven Gerrard, wonderful player that he is, has always been an individual in many ways. He’s not really a player that can organise or spot problems. He didn’t spot the danger on England’s left side in the first game, which was pretty obvious after a few attempts.â€

Kinda means he's not really suitable as a captain. Apparently he leads by example. Some example :)

Gerrard demanding the players mentioned by Redknapp are named and shamed.

That would be a convenient little distraction from his failings as Captain wouldn't it.

England go out after a awful performance from him, do we see him at a press conference doing his captain's duty? No. All he says in the media is he needs to think about his future and trying to distract further from his own failings by latching onto this Redknapp story.

Disgrace of a captain.

Exactly what I thought when I read it, a nice distraction away from himself and a way to show his "pashun"by being super angry.

Just purely as a captain, I've never understood why people seem to think Gerrard is good at the role.

I don't understand this "lead by example" nonsense, surely all players should be doing their best to play well anyway?

When you look at captains like Terry, Tony Adams, Roy Keane, Puyol etc you are forever seeing them speaking to their team, organising and encouraging.

All I ever see Gerrard do is smack the ball 60 yards into touch and then claps his hands a bit. 

I won't link the trash article but apparently gerrard has not failed england, but england has failed gerrard.

He didn't play badly, everyone around him made him look bad.

I won't link the trash article but apparently gerrard has not failed england, but england has failed gerrard.

Its amazing how often that happens to gerrard, he's been so unlucky.

Just purely as a captain, I've never understood why people seem to think Gerrard is good at the role.

I don't understand this "lead by example" nonsense, surely all players should be doing their best to play well anyway?

When you look at captains like Terry, Tony Adams, Roy Keane, Puyol etc you are forever seeing them speaking to their team, organising and encouraging.

All I ever see Gerrard do is smack the ball 60 yards into touch and then claps his hands a bit. 

Exactly. That group huddle where he gave his "this does not slip" speech when the cameras just happened to be on him was cringeworthy and self-indulgent.

Says his best performance was against Andorra. Talk about damning with faint praise!

What website/paper?

Exactly. That group huddle where he gave his "this does not slip" speech when the cameras just happened to be on him was cringeworthy and self-indulgent.

The last time someone gave a talk on the pitch was Phil Brown... And everyone thought he was a knob as well.  

^ Martin Samuel in the Mail

Just read it and nowhere in the article does Samuel address his own headline as why exactly "England failed Steven Gerrard and turned one of the greatest players of his generation into mediocrity on national duty"

After saying he's had some great games for Liverpool he addresses his international performances:

Now do the same with Gerrard and England. Several of those who have seen each one of his 113 appearances tried it yesterday. There was a consensus on Andorra away in 2007 under Steve McClaren. And not a whole lot else.

He was very good when England beat Germany 5-1 in Munich, but so were a lot of players.

There was a friendly against Hungary immediately after the 2010 World Cup, when he stopped the Fabio Capello backlash reaching its shrill crescendo.

And he was most consistent in the qualifying campaign for the 2010 World Cup, albeit in a starting position on the left, which he hated.

So he acknowledges that in over 100 games there basically isn't a stand out performance.... So I'm thinking he's going to explain why England haven't got the best out of him.

All we get however is:

Looking back on Gerrard’s international career, it would appear the England machine has failed even that simple challenge. It has taken one of the greatest England footballers of this, or any, generation, one of the most talented players in the world, the midfielder Luis Suarez says is the greatest he has played with, and somehow reduced him to mediocrity

So why is it England's fault that Gerrard doesn't perform at international level? I was reading the other day someone saying that during his best spell for Liverpool was when he had Xabi Alonso pulling the strings from the middle and Gerrard played just behind an in form Torres.

So when playing for England and the burden of the midfield is on him, he's not able to cope. 

The old Gerrard and Lampard can't play together argument is sure to surface but Gerrard has had plenty of games without Frank in starting line up and he's still not lived up to the hype.. I would say England have done a lot more to try and accommodate Gerrard than they have Frank, especially since Hodgson came in, yet we've completely failed in the last tow finals in which Gerrard has been captain.

At what point does the buck stop with Gerrard and you just say he's not playing well enough to warrant a guaranteed starting place in the England side that the captaincy brings?