One Too Many...

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

From The Telegraph:

Jose Mourinho has admitted that he will have to get rid of one of his foreign players as Chelsea desperately try to find a buyer for Fernando Torres.

The return of Didier Drogba means Chelsea’s anticipated first-team squad has one too many foreign players under Premier League and Champions League rules relating to the home-grown quota.

Clubs can only name 17 foreign players over the age of 21 in their official 25-man squads and Chelsea have 18 overseas stars who are realistically vying for those places.

Mourinho, the Chelsea manager, wants to offload £50 million flop Torres, but clubs are being put off by the £20 million asking price and the Spaniard’s £175,000-a-week wages.

Chelsea hope that Atlético Madrid may take Torres back, while Monaco are understood to have looked at his situation in case Radamel Falcao leaves.

Should Chelsea fail to sell Torres or midfielder John Obi Mikel, who has not generated much interest, Mourinho may be forced to consider a Paris St-Germain offer for the goalkeeper Petr Cech.

“From the group you are expecting us to have as a squad, I have to send one away because we have one extra foreign player,†Mourinho said.

“So from all these players, if you think all of them have to stay, you are wrong. One of them has to go.â€

I think we're all in agreement over who should be the one to leave! But I can't see that happening.

Mikel is a good squad player who we will need to perform a specific role at specific times, as well as cover in lesser matches for the likes of Matic and Fabregas. He's never going to get man of the match for the job he does, even when he does it well, which is more often than not. He never complains and just gets on with it and I think we should aim to hold on to him, but if we do sell him I think he needs carefully replacing.

And obviously Cech needs to stay in an ideal world. That's OK if you're playing football manager, but I do worry that having him and Courtois vying for position won't work out well. Cech still has another 5 or 6 years left in him, as goalkeepers tend to do.

Overall a tricky situation, which I think will end up with us loaning out Cech to PSG as nobody will take Torres or Mikel. PSG do need to start watching what they spend now and they've already taken a loan deal for Serge Aurier, so if they do want Cech a loan would sort them out this season with a view to a permanent transfer next time round. I don't want that to happen.

If we can't shift Torres permanently we could look to loan him somewhere and pay most of his wages, but where would he go and who would want him based on recent history? Or we could just not register him!

So many ifs and buts, but a very real and thought provoking situation...

Edited by It_Dont_Mata

A little drastic. Is the Drogba transfer a bit of a chess move from Mourinho?

If Torres forces Cech out because we cant get rid, there will be a bit of a backlash on Nando I feel.

Its time for Torres to pack his bags. Any bid over 10M should be accepted.

Edited by Zola

The Drogba signing is a statement, the club knew full well going into that signing it tipped the scales of our foreign player allowance and what it now enables Mourinho to do is to say to one of the players "you have to go". 

Basically the club can now say to an unwanted player if you don't agree to a move elsewhere you won't be registered to play. 

Bit extreme perhaps but it does give the club some power with forcing out a player. 

I'm not convinced anyone would be willing to take on Torres but it does make the most sense if he were the one to go. 

I said in another thread that I think Mikel's position is under threat, considering his wages and his likely playing time he could be moved on. 

I still think there's a chance Ramires could leave as well, he's essentially lost his starting place in the team with Fabregas arrival and with Romeu being handed a new 3 year deal and van Ginkel being a Mourinho signing he might just find himself surplus to requirements. 

you could be right, the club may now say to a player you have to go. IF it was Torres a season long loan would be the most likely transfer.

That would do tbh as then Lukaku would probably stay, I just wonder though where do you stand on foreign quota if a foreign player out on loan gets injured and returns to the club?

Lose Mikel and bring back Chalobah, Torres - Bamford.

Seems simple but then they would get little to zero play time. Quite a pickle indeed.

And also Torres is like a leech as ridding ourselves of him is proving very difficult.

Edited by AlexTommo

In an ideal world Torres would go.  It's a bit worrying that nobody is even interested in him.  He, he's been a flop, but he still has some qualities, and a change of scenery could actually get him back into some kind of form.

According to this article on the 23rd (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10984812/Chelseas-bid-to-sign-Didier-Drogba-puts-Romelu-Lukakus-future-in-doubt.html) Lukaku has been confirmed as home grown by the Premier League. It's all a bit confusing, but good news IF he is and IF he stays and this may well prove a decisive factor in him staying at the club.

Does Lukaku count as one of our foreign players or is he home grown?

Really good article in the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/managers/jose-mourinho/10996098/Jose-Mourinho-desperate-to-sell-Fernando-Torres-as-Chelseas-squad-exceeds-foreign-player-quota.html

TL:DR,

Torres is first choice to leave, Cech Second. Lukaku is still U21 and "would fulfil home-grown status"

I think it all comes down to what Lukaku is doing. If he asks to leave again then Torres will stay. If Lukaku grows a set and wants to stay and fight for his place then maybe Torres will be loaned out with us picking up a MAJOR part of his wages.

If Lukaku grows a set and wants to stay and fight for his place then maybe Torres will be loaned out with us picking up a MAJOR part of his wages.

This is the best case scenario.  I don't even care we would be paying for most of his wages either.  It'll be money well spent if it means we eventually get rid of him.

A little drastic. Is the Drogba transfer a bit of a chess move from Mourinho?

Exactly - Telegraph myopia dictates that a Chelsea player must leave when in point of fact we can exclude one of the said players from the CL selected squad and use him solely in the Premiership without any enforced sale being necessary. Typically, the newspaper prefers to emphasise the negative and eliminate any possibility of a simple solution, which is certainly there to be had in the case of an outfield player switched in this way.  

Lukaku isn't home-grown according to our Premier League squad list, but does still count as an under-21 (for now):

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/clubs/profile.squads.html/chelsea

"A home-grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21)."

He joined us in August 2011, spent one season with us, one season with West Brom and one season with Everton, during the latter of which he turned 21. I don't know how strict they are in applying the rules: technically it has only been 34/35 months and he had played two games for Anderlecht at the beginning of the season in which he joined us. I don't know whether they would count that as three full seasons/36 months or not, I'm not entirely sure what the norm is.

Exactly - Telegraph myopia dictates that a Chelsea player must leave when in point of fact we can exclude one of the said players from the CL selected squad and use him solely in the Premiership without any enforced sale being necessary. Typically, the newspaper prefers to emphasise the negative and eliminate any possibility of a simple solution, which is certainly there to be had in the case of an outfield player switched in this way.

oh man i was so excited that one of torres and mikel are about to leave and now you totally piss on my parade

The Telegraph have got that all wrong, we don't have 1 too many, we have 3 too many ( the other day i thought it was 4, but i forgot that Fabregas is home grown )

Here is the list of non homegrown players.

Cech, Courtois, Schwarzer, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Luis, Ramires, Hazard, Mikel, Salah, Van Ginkel, Marin, Oscar, Schurrle, Matic, Willian, Romeu, Torres, Costa, Drogba.

So out of the list which 3 players should we be looking to sell.

My choices are Torres, Mikel and Marin ( i edited it, forgot about Marin :biggrin: )

Edited by Scott Harris