If you could have signed one player in our 90s team(s) who would it be and why?

This is something I've been thinking about today, simply looking back to the late 90s which is the Chelsea I consider my Chelsea. If we could have signed one player in the late 90s I'd choose Ian Wright. I know we were in for him in 1996 but Wenger joined Arsenal and kept him there. But I think we could have signe him in 1998 when he went to West Ham. Now I know he didn't set the world a light there but he wasn't playing in a great team. I think he would have given us those extra goals we needed in 98/99 to go on and win the league.

Who would you pick? and why?

Um, probably Zinedine Zidane or Ronaldo. Either one of those two ahead of a 30 year old Ian Wright.

Neither of those two would've been realistic targets. We never would've been able to afford them and they certainly wouldn't have come to England anyway.

Neither of those two would've been realistic targets. We never would've been able to afford them and they certainly wouldn't have come to England anyway.

Zidane was. Almost ended up at Blackburn and left Bordeaux for just £3 million. Even Ronaldo started off at Cruzeiro before going to PSV.

Let's dream a little. :laugh2:

This is something I've been thinking about today, simply looking back to the late 90s which is the Chelsea I consider my Chelsea. If we could have signed one player in the late 90s I'd choose Ian Wright. I know we were in for him in 1996 but Wenger joined Arsenal and kept him there. But I think we could have signe him in 1998 when he went to West Ham. Now I know he didn't set the world a light there but he wasn't playing in a great team. I think he would have given us those extra goals we needed in 98/99 to go on and win the league.

Speaking of Wenger, when Hoddle left to take the England job he actually recommended to Bates that we hire a Frenchman he'd worked with before... called Arsene Wenger. As it was we hired Ruud while Hoddle made the same recommendation to David Dein a short while later. How different might things have been?