Next Seasons Prep

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 2017-5-27 at 20:33, EdinburghBlue said:

I think Alonso has had a brilliant season for us and is a real danger going forward, ideally I'd like a quality back up but the rest are higher priority for me.

Totally agree I had huge doubts about alonso but I think he has shown to be an excellent player, I like him a lot and more than happy with him in that position,  Costa wont go to china they introduced a 100% tax on foreign players, but would bring in Aubameyang anyway as a top team need 2 top strikers to compete in all competitions, let the best man fight for his start sell the one that's not happy next season,  everyone else on your spot on imo. 

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

What city are doing, that is what we should be doing. One top young talent signed from Monaco, another on the way and close to a world record goalkeeper signed. Hope we start soon... 

Credit where credits due, they know how to get their business done. Jesus was wrapped up well before the start of the January window as well I'm sure. They're incredibly well run in that respect. 

Calm down people. Unlike Chelsea, City do not have a PL crown or a single trophy to their name after spending a massive amount last summer. They are under immense pressure and the amount of money they have spent already increases that even further.

Although we certainly need to sign players, the post season is only a week old. If you want us to go out and sign rush transfers by signing a 28 year old Perisic for 50million pounds, fine, but it's not a road I want to go down.

11 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Apart from new players I'd like to see some thought given to who our next Captain should be.

Cahill - not inspirational enough for me.  Maybe Luiz?

Cahill will be captain. He was captain for the most part this season so why would conte change it? 

23 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Apart from new players I'd like to see some thought given to who our next Captain should be.

Cahill - not inspirational enough for me.  Maybe Luiz?

I have always like the idea of giving it to Eden, it could be the one thing that guarantees he's always switched on and giving his all. When people say he's not really captain material, he's too small, he's not nasty enough, i say remember Zola was once our captain.

15 minutes ago, DonAntonio said:

How on earth are city keeping up with ffp does that only apply to us, we have way more fans, sell more shirts, make more prize money, sell more players, how the f can they have more funds than us to spend 

Because city hired the people who wrote the FFP rules 

read all of the top posts 

Edited by MANoWAR

23 minutes ago, havelschayes said:

23 minutes ago, MANoWAR said:

Well the f aren't we doing these tricks, unless roman is not as flush as before and ffp is a good excuse not to spend as much 

Edited by DonAntonio

4 minutes ago, DonAntonio said:

Well the f aren't we doing these tricks, unless roman is not as flush as before and ffp is a good excuse not to spend as much 

Not sure but I suppose they've had a long-term vision for their project (they've wanted Pep for 5+ years) whereas Roman seems to look more in the short-term. I guess these things wouldn't come to mind 

(also minor request if it's not a big deal -- could you edit my quote  for your post to include the updated quote? I know it's not major, just a minor OCD of mine lol) 

Edited by MANoWAR

9 minutes ago, MANoWAR said:

Not sure but I suppose they've had a long-term vision for their project (they've wanted Pep for 5+ years) whereas Roman seems to look more in the short-term. I guess these things wouldn't come to mind 

(also minor request if it's not a big deal -- could you edit my quote for your post to include the updated quote? I know it's not major, just a minor OCD of mine lol) 

Well I have no moral problem with what they are doing, if they want to spend and find a way round it that's smart business, and if everyone has the ability to do it then it's not unfair either, it allows for building a club while still keeping restrictions, so it doesn't get silly, I mean there's only so much outgoings you can move around. Again I just have a feeling Roman doesn't want to spend as much anymore, possibly because of the cost of the new stadium, I heard he wanted to take on the support of another wealthy Russian a while back. In any case if we want to be elite we need to keep up with the spending of the Manchester clubs or we will get left behind, had conte not rescued this season after an underwhelming summer in context of finishing 10th and a desperate need for change, finishing outside the CL spots would have taken us out that bracket of being a top tier club for some time, people underestimate how's much this season may have impacted our status moving forward, this window will tell us a lot about romans ambitions. Btw would love to help but no idea what you want me to do or how to do it :biggrin:

Edited by DonAntonio

6 minutes ago, DonAntonio said:

Well I have no moral problem with what they are doing, if they want to spend and find a way round it that's smart business, and if everyone has the ability to do it then it's not unfair either, it allows for building a club while still keeping restrictions, so it doesn't get silly, I mean there's Ian only so much outgoings you can move around. Again I just have a feeling Roman doesn't want to spend as much anymore, possibly because of the cost of the new station, I heard he wanted to take on the support of another wealthy Russian a while back. In any case if we want to be elite we need to keep up with the spending of the Manchester clubs or we will get left behind, had conte not rescued this season after an underwhelming summer in context of finishing 10th and I desperate need for change, is finishing outside the CL would have taken us out that bracket of being a top tier club for some time, people underestimate how's much this season may have impacted our status moving forward, this window will tell us a lot about romans ambitions. Btw would love to help but no idea what you want me to do or how to do it :biggrin:

Yeah I understand where you're coming from lol. Great to win the PL but also very helpful with our finances and status

The post you made before this one where you quoted me and havels, you quoted the unedited post, so if you can replace my quote with:

Edited by MANoWAR

3-4-3

Successful until we came up against the top teams - Utd, Spurs, Arsenal. Liverpool – then we often struggled.

3-5-2

If utilised this means we drop two of Pedro, Willian and Hazard and this will be for the big matches, I see trouble ahead. Even with dropping two will the others be suitable in a front two, I have my doubts.

Generally

Need strengthening defensively in midfield.

Need WBs strengthening.

LWB -Alonso too slow against the big teams and they expose that, he struggled against Bellerin on Saturday and not for the first time (though he has been great for us this season).

RWB – Moses lacks a little quality and we do have cover in Azpi, probably no urgent need to strengthen.

Keeper, happy with Thibo though looks like we need a replacement for Begovic.

CBs – I haven’t seen much of Christensen yet would hope he is a solution. We need cover in case Luiz gets injured. I would sell Ake as he has does not have the height for a CB or mobility for a LWB unless we need him for cover. I would sell or loan Zouma he is not a CB in 3 man defence for me.

Midfield – We need another defensive midfielder, quick and with some height and likely to be expensive.

I would look to keep Matic as cover though he may want to go.

Cesc could play in a 3-5-2 with two strong defensive midfielders though we know he lacks pace and Italy are rumoured to be interested. If this was the plan, who would be the cover Cesc?

Which brings me to the Costa situation if a swap with ATM is on the cards with Griezman, would Griezman play in in front of our defensive DMs.

That would leave us needing two mobile forwards Sanchez being one, and one more perhaps a Morata, Belloti or Lukaku.

If Costa stays I still think we need another striker like Morata or Belloti or Sanchez ( I can't see Arsenal selling him to us).

Yet then we have the issue with Hazard, Pedro and Willian. I can’t see Hazard in a 3-5-2 and this looks the formation to take on the top sides, do we cash in on Hazard?

I also can’t see both Willian and Pedro wanting to stay in a situation where we play 3-5-2 against the top sides.

Bats – sell or loan, I don’t see him as a regular as not mobile enough for me.

Other younger players on the fringes loan or sell those we will not utilise.

Interesting summer ahead and this is where the wheeler & dealers come into it.

16 hours ago, Argo said:

Our season ended less than 48 hours ago yet we apparently should have 3 million world class player's snapped up already:laugh2: 

Heaven forbid people are discussing next seasons plans in a thread titled 'Next Seasons Prep' seems ludicrous doesn't it?! Not even relevant to the damn thread :face_palm: 

Also if you think that a club will only start planning for the following season after the current season is finished, I can promise you that is extremely unlikely or the club are very very unorganised:laugh2:

6 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Heaven forbid people are discussing next seasons plans in a thread titled 'Next Seasons Prep' seems ludicrous doesn't it?! Not even relevant to the damn thread :face_palm: 

Also if you think that a club will only start planning for the following season after the current season is finished, I can promise you that is extremely unlikely or the club are very very unorganised:laugh2:

There's a difference between discussing next season and all this moaning because we haven't signed two players early doors like City have.

9 minutes ago, Argo said:

There's a difference between discussing next season and all this moaning because we haven't signed two players early doors like City have.

I don't think anyone has 'moaned' as you say, people have raised valid points about getting business done early, unless you'd rather we left it late and brought in some Djilibodji (sp) signing at the last minute to try and fill holes. We'll struggle to keep Conte long term if that's the case.

We've got previous for getting business done early as I've mentioned Costa & Fab were done relatively early if I'm not mistaken. 

No one is saying have them signed right now but to have them done as early as possible. If we're sitting at mid July/August and we've had months of speculation (ala John Stones) is it not fair to say you'll be concerned? I certainly will be as we've been down the road before.

There is no reason anyone in England should beat us to our targets. If we want to we can compete with any of them for pay and fees, we are based in west London which is more attractive than the other prospects. We are the champions and have a top manager and champions league football. The fact city beat us to those two players must simply be we don't want them, why I don't know.  I just hope we move for our targets soon. 

21 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

There is no reason anyone in England should beat us to our targets. If we want to we can compete with any of them for pay and fees, we are based in west London which is more attractive than the other prospects. We are the champions and have a top manager and champions league football. The fact city beat us to those two players must simply be we don't want them, why I don't know.  I just hope we move for our targets soon. 

Well United are the ones that stand out. They make more money in a season than we do over two. Their global reach and income blows us out the water. If it's down to money they would trump us no problem. That's not to say we are poor or anything but just being realistic especially now we are compliant with FFP or were. We should not struggle tempting players as we do have the means and stature.

We do have other things in our favour though like you say like London, Conte and being Champions. 

Edited by Chelsbear

50 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I don't think anyone has 'moaned' as you say, people have raised valid points about getting business done early, unless you'd rather we left it late and brought in some Djilibodji (sp) signing at the last minute to try and fill holes. We'll struggle to keep Conte long term if that's the case.

We've got previous for getting business done early as I've mentioned Costa & Fab were done relatively early if I'm not mistaken. 

No one is saying have them signed right now but to have them done as early as possible. If we're sitting at mid July/August and we've had months of speculation (ala John Stones) is it not fair to say you'll be concerned? I certainly will be as we've been down the road before.

Yes but the Stones deal was a spectacular cluster f**k by all involved, it was obvious Everton weren't budging so we should have cut our losses and gone for Alderwierld.

6 hours ago, Argo said:

Yes but the Stones deal was a spectacular cluster f**k by all involved, it was obvious Everton weren't budging so we should have cut our losses and gone for Alderwierld.

Not to mention that, you know, he is actually much better player than stones as well 

Tibo (Krul)
           Azpi (Christensen) - Luiz (van Dijk) - van Dijk (Cahill)
  Conti (Moses) - Verratti (Kante) - Matic (De Rossi) - Alonso (Tierney)
    Alexis* (Pedro) - Diego** (Batshuayi/Llorente) - Hazard (Alexis)

"Reserves" - Ake or Hector, Baker, Nat & Trev Chalobah, Hudson-Odoi, Arp, Mount, Sterling, Eduardo, Cuevas?

* or Willian/Bernardeschi
** or Morata

Edited by the special one
speling ;)