Next Seasons Prep

Blue Exile

After 05/06, 09/10 and 14/15, the board never really added to the depth of the squad to push us on for title, we have to back Conte to the last and invest in the squad, surely it will happen this summer as we have really special manager at the club.

Also, just to put a downer on everything, no manager since Fergie back in 07/08 & 08/09 has retained the league, its very difficult to win this title but an even harder task to retain it, if Conte is backed by the board, we'll come close next year.

1 hour ago, Delnino said:

After 05/06, 09/10 and 14/15, the board never really added to the depth of the squad to push us on for title, we have to back Conte to the last and invest in the squad, surely it will happen this summer as we have really special manager at the club.

Also, just to put a downer on everything, no manager since Fergie back in 07/08 & 08/09 has retained the league, its very difficult to win this title but an even harder task to retain it, if Conte is backed by the board, we'll come close next year.

I think it has to happen especially because our squad is tiny compared to those previous years with us having no European football.

The big thing is players coming in have to be of a standard that will elevate us further not guys like Papy and Co who were basically jokes.

Also our owners know Antonio is in high demand with cash daft inter wanting him so they really need to back Conte or risk the unthinkable.  

14 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

I think it has to happen especially because our squad is tiny compared to those previous years with us having no European football.

The big thing is players coming in have to be of a standard that will elevate us further not guys like Papy and Co who were basically jokes.

Also our owners know Antonio is in high demand with cash daft inter wanting him so they really need to back Conte or risk the unthinkable.  

I really think this is one of our trickiest windows. We need to irpnkve the team and the squad but we also can't disrupt it. We need to buy quality and we also need to look at how we have in youth and out on loan (basically whose good enough). Agree guys like Papa and Baba were a joke so we need to avoid those types. We have to get our first choices and not drag our feet.

12 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

After tonight I think a CB should be on the list lol then again Christensen is coming back so maybe we don't need anyone else.

Why? I thought Ake was brilliant. Yes, he made a mistake for the Janmaat goal, but 4 out the back 5 would be different and we would be a lot tighter defensively if it was not a dead rubber. Ake has performed very well when asked to.

18 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Why? I thought Ake was brilliant. Yes, he made a mistake for the Janmaat goal, but 4 out the back 5 would be different and we would be a lot tighter defensively if it was not a dead rubber. Ake has performed very well when asked to.

He'd be a good backup option but if we're going to compete in all competitions next season there are no compromises. Last night was an 'audition' for next season and dead rubber or not we conceded 3. Ake backup, sell Christensen, loan Zouma, buy Jorge Mere/van Dijk :good2:

Azpi (Jorge Mere) - Luiz (van Dijk/Ake) - van Dijk (Cahill/Ake) 

7 minutes ago, the special one said:

He'd a good backup option to have but for me that's it. If we're going to compete in all competitions next season there are no compromises. Last night was an 'audition' for next season and dead rubber or not we conceded 3. Ake backup, sell Christensen, loan Zouma, buy Jorge Mere/van Dijk :good2:

If we sell Andreas, its a bigger mistake than Lukaku's. 

57 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

I shiver whenever I think of the nightmare of a summer transfer window two years ago.  And yet there were some supporters proclaiming that the likes of Papy and Hector were great value buys LoL!  This summer will be a true test of how much the board supports Conte.  

Ake for me us the perfect substitute defender. Can cover all across the back and cdm. Andreas needs to come back next season. I don't understand why people are like sell him. We need to see how he performs with us first. 

30 minutes ago, the special one said:

Granted I'd prefer we didn't sell Christensen, but if we can bring in Jorge Mere for him (or Zouma) with no additional net spend for me it's worth considering.

I have not seen him play, so cant comment. Maybe he is a special talent. But so are each of Zouma/Andreas/Ake. If they were not our players, we would most likely be looking to buy them.

1 hour ago, didierforever said:

Even with Ake we need other options though. I don't disagree that Ake has played well either but that Janmaat goal was a pretty big mistake imo.

6 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Even with Ake we need other options though. I don't disagree that Ake has played well either but that Janmaat goal was a pretty big mistake imo.

It was a howler, no 2 ways about it. But every time, a young player made a mistake, we cant throw them out. Hell, remember GC at the start of the season?

Ake looks like a wonderful talent. As does Andreas (dont forget him). Those 2 along with our current back 3 and Zouma, make 6 brilliant options for the CB positions. I know, you might feel differently, but in my opinion, we are quite well set for CB positions for the next season. I can only hope that Conte feels the same way.

6 CB positions for three places is overkill even with Europe, especially as Azpi and Luiz will start every game in PL and CL. Zouma is as good as gone and im torn between making Andreas and Ake immediate back up's or loaning one out and signing a top class option ready to help us compete at the top end (the 11 game run without a clean sheet was worrying), hearts saying former, heads saying latter.

Obviously we have several needs to continue the push to compete at the highest level in the Champions league and actually contend.

Other than an additional WB and CB or two, the primary focus is at Striker I suppose with Costa's inevitable departure.

What is the consensus in the Shed End on Lukaku? I am not a fan. I feel he completely disappears in many games, especially the big matches, but will put three past Hull or Watford. I would not buy at 50 million pounds much less 100 million. I feel like he is the forward equivalent of John Stones. I was soooo glad we did not get him.

Other targets? Morata?

9 hours ago, the special one said:

He'd be a good backup option but if we're going to compete in all competitions next season there are no compromises. Last night was an 'audition' for next season and dead rubber or not we conceded 3. Ake backup, sell Christensen, loan Zouma, buy Jorge Mere/van Dijk :good2:

That would be a catastrophic decision of epic proportions. Have you not learnt from the sales of De Bruyne and Lukaku? How's Mere a bigger talent than Christensen? Especially considering Christensen has been playing in a midtable German side who even played in the CL this season vs one who plays for a relegation side? What's the point in selling our own 21 year old CB talent who'd cost us nothing to put in the team and going out to buy a 20 year old CB 30m+?

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

That would be a catastrophic decision of epic proportions. Have you not learnt from the sales of De Bruyne and Lukaku? How's Mere a bigger talent than Christensen? Especially considering Christensen has been playing in a midtable German side who even played in the CL this season vs one who plays for a relegation side? What's the point in selling our own 21 year old CB talent who'd cost us nothing to put in the team and going out to buy a 20 year old CB 30m+?

How's Mere a bigger talent than Christensen?

I just don't rate Christensen as highly as some on here seem to. From what I've seen of him he's prone to mistake, slow, and I think his lack of anticipation will be exposed in the Premier League next season.

Especially considering Christensen has been playing in a midtable German side who even played in the CL this season vs one who plays for a relegation side?

I think at 20/21 who they play for is irrelevant, if anything playing week in week out for relegation fodder at a consistently high level helps a young CB with potential because he's exposed to a higher frequency of defensive situations.

What's the point in selling our own 21 year old CB talent who'd cost us nothing to put in the team and going out to buy a 20 year old CB 30m+?

Mere has a reported 25m release clause, same as Christensen's perceived market value so presumably we wouldn't lose out financially. 

2 hours ago, the special one said:

How's Mere a bigger talent than Christensen?

I just don't rate Christensen as highly as some on here seem to. From what I've seen of him he's prone to mistake, slow, and I think his lack of anticipation will be exposed in the Premier League next season.

Especially considering Christensen has been playing in a midtable German side who even played in the CL this season vs one who plays for a relegation side?

I think at 20/21 who they play for is irrelevant, if anything playing week in week out for relegation fodder at a consistently high level helps a young CB with potential because he's exposed to a higher frequency of defensive situations.

What's the point in selling our own 21 year old CB talent who'd cost us nothing to put in the team and going out to buy a 20 year old CB 30m+?

Mere has a reported 25m release clause, same as Christensen's perceived market value so presumably we wouldn't lose out financially. 

I'm pretty sure if Conte can turn a 29 year old Luiz who was pretty much set in his ways already into a disciplined CB and arguably the best in the league in just one season, he can do a lot of good work with Christensen. Wouldn't be his first time working with young CBs either (see Bonucci). Not sure I rate this Mere kid above Christensen from what I've seen. It would also be demoralizing to our youth players and those out on loan. Shows we don't believe in them at all. There's just too many implications to such a signing, which is one of the reasons I'm happy we never got Stones (who has proven to be overrated anyway). If I'm not mistaken, Christensen would also count as homegrown, so there you go. There's just too much down side for 20 year old CB from La Liga who also would be a huge risk to buy, especially coming to a new country. I hope Emenalo and co aren't looking at such options.

Andreas has played two full seasons at the top level, including CL. He'd be worth quite a bit if he were on the open market. I'm struggling to think of another player with that experience and skill regardless of age who is also FREE. 

Completely ready to roll with him, Dave, Luiz, Ake and Cahill next season. 

I think it's well documented that the number of player changes made by us this year is the lowest ever by a league winning team. That is a fantastic    achievement in one sense but for me that suggests that the manager is far from happy with the majority of his back up players. 

I cant help but feel that the rumours about Diego are too precise not to have some legs and whilst he has had a pretty damm good season I suspect Victor Moses will never reach the heights achieved this season. That's brutal I know but sorry I just can't see him pushing on any further.

I think we will see Bekovic, Zouma, Batsuyai, RLC, Aina, Kennedy and possibly Chalobah will either been sold or loaned out and as we know JT has already said to be off.

Other than Christensen and possibly Traore or Abraham I doubt any of the loanees will be kept at the club bar one surprise I have a sneaky feeling it might be Baker. Several like Izzy and Mousanda  will be loaned out but at the next level to where they found themselves this season. I suspect that half a dozen or so such as Atsu , Rahman,  &  Omerou will be sold.

As to recruitment I suspect will be looking for a number 2 keeper,right wing back a CD, 2 midfielders one deep lying one attacking and two forwards. Two plus Abraham /Traore  for I just have the feeling that Antonio will be tweaking with the formation .

On ?13?/?05?/?2017 at 16:32, didierforever said:

I wanted a lot of youth integration (ake, andreas, baker, chalobah, musonda, tammy, aina/kane) but now I just feel something changing inside me. Time for dominance.

I dont think Chalobah, baker, aina/kane have what it takes to make it here big time.

Squad:

GK: Tibo, Bego/2nd GK,Blackman

CB: GC, DL, Azpi, Ake, Andreas, Zouma

RWB: Moses, 2nd RWB

LWB: Alonso, Baba

CM: Kante, new world-class CM, Cesc, Matic, Nat/Baker

Forwards: Costa/Lukaku, Michy, Tammy, Hazard, Sanchez/Antoine, Pedro, Willian

Firstly, you were right to want a lot of youth integration (Ake, Christensen, Baker, Chalobah, Musonda, Abraham, Aina) and I also agree - now IS the time for dominance - but you are wavering on integration for no real reason other than to imply it cannot be achieved if the club pursue it as a policy. Lest we forget, Nathaniel Chalobah and Nathan Ake are improving with every game and will have gained such a lot from being part of the celebrations after the West Brom win, so how silly it would be to send them on their disheartened way well before the start of next season. No, my optimistic belief is, contrary to your gut reaction, dominance can be achieved with a fair sprinkling of youth added to the existing squad and indeed it could be argued that you would be hard put to reach the highest levels of Conte-esque control without the harmony factor this type of integration provides – just look at ManU's attempts to throw money at their recent problems if you want to see where spending big [as an alternative to youth development] gets you in the end.

That is not to say spending isn't required, as has already been acknowledged by Conte in the immediate post-title press conferences, but the extent of it should be limited and focussed on proven top quality, uninfluenced by any need to bulk buy due to a ditching of the youth element currently within the group (or previously being considered for return) because faith is suddenly lost in their ability to succeed long term. In any event Conte will insist on a bigger squad than those twenty-five he has had at his disposal this season, CL demands being what they are and in an effort not to fall foul of injury crises should they happen due to the increased number of games on top of Antonio's already punishing training schedules. An extra five bodies should suffice and I would anticipate these places going in the main to the most promising Development Squad players, much in the same way as RLC, Nate and Aina made their [albeit mini] breakthroughs last term. Given those extra numbers, my ideal 1st team squad for next season (3-4-3 formation) would be:-

GK: Courtois, Blackman, Eduardo (nor retained if successful bid made for Craig Gordon)

CB: Azpi, David Luiz, Cahill, Ake, Christensen, Zouma

RWB: Moses, Sterling

LWB: Alonso, Aina,

CM: Kante, Verratti, Cesc, Matic, Chalobah, Musonda, Baker

Forwards: Costa/Lukaku/Morata,/Batsuayi/Abrahams (4 from 5 - if Diego leaves retain/buy the rest, if he stays my preference would be Morata over Lukaku as he provides a better balance) Hazard, Sanchez, RLC, Pedro, Willian.

This leaves one place available, which should on the face of it go to a wing back, as Sterling and Aina covering for Moses and Alonso could be said to be two unnecessary gambles few managers would take. Nevertheless, Conte may think them both risks worth taking, as Azpi provides excellent cover on both flanks and Musonda is another versatile option. There is also the retention of Kenedy to consider, but this hardly settles any risk aversion/acceptance argument. Therefore, bearing this in mind and taking into account his Italian mindset, Antonio may lean towards the purchase of another big name defender instead, although getting in three major signings of the quality of Verratti, Sanchez and Morata will cost a small fortune even before you start to think about buying the Koulibaly's of this world... or decide to fork out the £90m Everton are said to want for Lukaku!

What the hell is the difference between the semi and any other knockout round of CL? We should be aiming to win that trophy, what the hell difference doesn't make if we get to the quarters or semis, if we dont win either way? 
Don't get me wrong, it's not a failure if we don't win the Champions League, I just don't see how 'make the CL semi-final' is a goal or expectation. Surely if we get there we'll all hope to win it; no? 

Everyone wants to win it but realistically after being out of the competition for a season, getting to the semis would mean we are challenging properly for the trophy and our among the top four teams in Europe. The season after and with hopefully the right quality additions to the squad the aim would be to win the PL and CL every season.

GK: Courtois, Krul (Blackman)
CB: Azpi, Christensen, Luiz, van Dijk, Cahill (De Rossi/Alonso)
FB/WB: Moses, Lichtsteiner, Alonso, Tierney, Azpi (Pedro/Sterling)
CM: Kante, Verratti, Matic, De Rossi, Baker, Chalobah
AM/SS: Verratti, Baker, Alexis, Hazard (Hudson-Odoi)
RW/IF: Alexis, Pedro (Moses)
LW/IF: Hazard, Alexis, Pedro (Moses/Hudson-Odoi)
CF: Morata, Diego/Kalinic, Alexis (Arp)

In: Krul, Christensen, van Dijk, Lichtsteiner, Tierney, Verratti, De Rossi, Baker, Alexis, Morata, Arp, Kalinic (if Diego leaves)
Out: Begovic (10m?), Eduardo (free), Terry (free), Ake (20m+?), Aina (loan), Kane (free), Loftus-Cheek (loan), Fabregas (if we sign Verratti, 25m?), Kenedy (loan with buy option), Willian (if we sign Alexis, 35m?), Batshuayi (loan with buy option), Rahman (10m?), Tammy (loan)

:wink:

On 5/16/2017 at 11:49, Chigzzer said:

Ake for me us the perfect substitute defender. Can cover all across the back and cdm. Andreas needs to come back next season. I don't understand why people are like sell him. We need to see how he performs with us first. 

Spot on mate.

Archived