Mason Mount new deal

the thing that bothers me about the youngsters, is how so many people claim "he's not ready, he needs another loan" blah, blah. How many loans does one player need before he's "ready"? Seriously. How many assists and goals does a young player need to be considered "ready"? It is something that irks me. The perfect examples are Kane and Alli. They have been two of Spurs best players, yet Alli was at a league one side, and Kane had pretty average loan spells before returning to Spurs. Now look at them! I don't think we can keep saying certain youngsters "aren't ready" because they will never be with that attitude.

The talent is obvious for a handful of these kids, they just need trust shown to them. You have Ampadu, CHO, RLC, Mount, Da Silva, Reece James. I honestly don't know what they have to do anymore to be considered "ready" it's disappointing and makes me shake my head. Instead we would rather look around the continent and buy a 19/20 year old for €40-50m because his surname is "Fernandes" or "Lopez" who has just as much potential

If we play in the EL next season then if you can play say the likes of Mason and possibly a couple of other home grown and club trained players  in those games and indeed the CC then it might be worth keeping  then till the Jan window, ok might only be 8-10 seats but you would have a far better idea of how they have progressed and you might just  discover that  a couple are first team ready and if not really nothing lost and for me far more of a barometer than assessing them during pre season 

19 hours ago, enigma said:

the thing that bothers me about the youngsters, is how so many people claim "he's not ready, he needs another loan" blah, blah. How many loans does one player need before he's "ready"? Seriously. How many assists and goals does a young player need to be considered "ready"? It is something that irks me. The perfect examples are Kane and Alli. They have been two of Spurs best players, yet Alli was at a league one side, and Kane had pretty average loan spells before returning to Spurs. Now look at them! I don't think we can keep saying certain youngsters "aren't ready" because they will never be with that attitude.

The talent is obvious for a handful of these kids, they just need trust shown to them. You have Ampadu, CHO, RLC, Mount, Da Silva, Reece James. I honestly don't know what they have to do anymore to be considered "ready" it's disappointing and makes me shake my head. Instead we would rather look around the continent and buy a 19/20 year old for €40-50m because his surname is "Fernandes" or "Lopez" who has just as much potential

With Ali you may well have a point but it could equally be argued that without the loans Kane wouldn’t be the player he is now

On 10/05/2018 at 14:45, enigma said:

the thing that bothers me about the youngsters, is how so many people claim "he's not ready, he needs another loan" blah, blah. How many loans does one player need before he's "ready"? Seriously. How many assists and goals does a young player need to be considered "ready"? It is something that irks me. The perfect examples are Kane and Alli. They have been two of Spurs best players, yet Alli was at a league one side, and Kane had pretty average loan spells before returning to Spurs?. Now look at them! I don't think we can keep saying certain youngsters "aren't ready" because they will never be with that attitude.

Isn't Harry Kane a poor example to underscore your point? He had several loans while his body and football were maturing. Players like Ali, who break into the first team as teenagers, are very much the exception, not the rule. There are other examples but they are still unusual. Around about 22 is the age at which players begin to establish themselves as starters for the top sides. In any case, had Ali been a Spurs youth product he would almost certainly have been sent out on loan.

I haven't watched Mason at Vitesse but, at the end of last season, I'd have said he wasn't ready.

24 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Isn't Harry Kane a poor example to underscore your point? He had several loans while his body and football were maturing. Players like Ali, who break into the first team as teenagers, are very much the exception, not the rule. There are other examples but they are still unusual. Around about 22 is the age at which players begin to establish themselves as starters for the top sides. In any case, had Ali been a Spurs youth product he would almost certainly have been sent out on loan.

I haven't watched Mason at Vitesse but, at the end of last season, I'd have said he wasn't ready.

Kane had a lot of loans but became their first team player at the age of 20/21. He was ready. 

I think the point is, Mason Mount is better than the league he is in, which is the dutch first division at the age of 19. Why do we have to send this kid out on loan again, lets give him the chance now. He's better than anyone else we have in that role at the moment imo. 

23 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

What position is this lad?

More I see and hear of some of these young lads we really could save ourselves looking at players abroad for millions and just bring some of these lads in.

image.png.fc2dd885483fe56d7cd4ed208503b7a9.png 

Ability to play in different positions is a sign of a good player for me, he could arguably push Pedro for a first team place at inside forward, attacking/floating #8 (Barkley's position at Everton, though probably more suited for a midfield 3 until he's 23/24 etc), or at #10 (Oscar's position, who we still haven't really replaced).

As others have said he's playing in piss poor league but for a 19 year old a 0.69 goal/assist average is still impressive.

39 minutes ago, MasonMountXI said:

It's not like we have lots of players in midfield/attacking midfield to choose from is it?

Our squad for the world cup looks very weak on paper. 

and a 19 year old lad with one season playing in Holland would help with that over seasoned internationals? 

2 hours ago, the special one said:

image.png.fc2dd885483fe56d7cd4ed208503b7a9.png 

Ability to play in different positions is a sign of a good player for me, he could arguably push Pedro for a first team place at inside forward, attacking/floating #8 (Barkley's position at Everton, though probably more suited for a midfield 3 until he's 23/24 etc), or at #10 (Oscar's position, who we still haven't really replaced).

As others have said he's playing in piss poor league but for a 19 year old a 0.69 goal/assist average is still impressive.

Ah nice one would be great to see him get a chance next season.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

and a 19 year old lad with one season playing in Holland would help with that over seasoned internationals? 

To be fair, Sessegnon was talked up quite a lot. And Sessegnon plays in a position where we have lots of options and a league at a similar standard as the Dutch league. Mount plays in a position where we have very few. 

7 minutes ago, benjsross said:

To be fair, Sessegnon was talked up quite a lot. And Sessegnon plays in a position where we have lots of options and a league at a similar standard as the Dutch league. Mount plays in a position where we have very few. 

and rightly so Sessegnon wasn't included in the 23 man squad. Looking past Sterling what actual wingers do we have in the England squad? Lingard/Rashford/Vardy/Welbz all get shoved out to the wings but all operate better in the middle. 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Well if you have seen him play he is too good for the Dutch league. He was also the best player in the under 19 euros last year. He is a pronominal talent.  

33 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

and rightly so Sessegnon wasn't included in the 23 man squad. Looking past Sterling what actual wingers do we have in the England squad? Lingard/Rashford/Vardy/Welbz all get shoved out to the wings but all operate better in the middle. 

Mount and Sessegnon play in the same England youth team. In which Mount is the best player. 

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

My point was people were talking about him. People werent talking about Mount. I found that strange. People even talked about Foden who hasnt done anything at senior level yet. 

We wont be playing with Wingers, Sterling isnt a winger either - he plays inside like Lingard and Rashford. 

15 hours ago, benjsross said:

Kane had a lot of loans but became their first team player at the age of 20/21. He was ready. 

I think the point is, Mason Mount is better than the league he is in, which is the dutch first division at the age of 19. Why do we have to send this kid out on loan again, lets give him the chance now. He's better than anyone else we have in that role at the moment imo. 

Kane made his first Premier League start for Spurs in April 2014, a little short of his 21st birthday but he was far from a first choice player at that time. He scored his first Premier League goal of the following season as a substitute in November and made his first PL start of that season the next week. The famous 5-3 game at White Hart Lane came in the middle of a run of matches during which Kane really settled into the Spurs team. He was twenty-one and a half.

Many Chelsea players have made their club debuts by around the same age at which Kane first played for Spurs. The difference is Kane took his chances. While he was only getting games off the bench or as part of the 'cup' team he was scoring goals and racking up assists. That's why he made the breakthrough. He was able to do it because he is an outstanding footballer, and yet it still took him until midway through his 22nd year to establish himself.

Mason has had an encouraging season. If he is to return, I hope it is only so that he can play a significant supporting role in the squad. If that isn't going to happen then lets look for something in Germany or Italy for him.

13 hours ago, benjsross said:

My point was people were talking about him. People werent talking about Mount. I found that strange. People even talked about Foden who hasnt done anything at senior level yet. 

We wont be playing with Wingers, Sterling isnt a winger either - he plays inside like Lingard and Rashford. 

Mount has gone completely under the radar. Of all of the young English players that are 20 and under he might be the best. 

14 hours ago, benjsross said:

Lets be honest though, how many youth players from other teams that are probably doing well on loans do we know about and people are speaking about. We only speak about Mount because he's a Chesea lad, if he was having this season whilst on loan from City not a single person on this forum would mention him and would laugh at the thought of him being included. More so if he had come through the Vitesse academy and had this season people wouldn't be asking for his call up. 

Sterling operates well through the middle, but he's offered width all season for City much like Sane. 

35 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Lets be honest though, how many youth players from other teams that are probably doing well on loans do we know about and people are speaking about. We only speak about Mount because he's a Chesea lad, if he was having this season whilst on loan from City not a single person on this forum would mention him and would laugh at the thought of him being included. More so if he had come through the Vitesse academy and had this season people wouldn't be asking for his call up. 

Sterling operates well through the middle, but he's offered width all season for City much like Sane. 

Foden? Lookman? Sancho? Sessegnon?

Mount has had a better season than all of them. I hear their names a lot. I only hear of Mount here. 

Don't know why, it's a bit odd. Mount did get in FIFA TOTW though.

Archived