Nicolo Barella

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We've been linked to Nicolo Barella in a few of the rags this week. He's a player I rate very highly, but wasn't sure that he'd fit into our already full midfield. My views have changed slightly though as I've noticed Barella has played the deep lying playmaker (regista) role for Cagliari a few times this season. If Fabregas leaves we'll need to get someone in, and Barella could be a great option as he is able to play in all 3 of our midfield positions. 

2 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

I know nothing about this guy, but I just read that an Italian journalist describes him as a ball winner and box to box midfielder.  Sounds more likely a replacement for Kovacic?

Yeah he's very mobile so may be wasted as a regista.. He plays in Kante's role for the Italian national team alongside Jorginho and Veratti. I know him as a box to box midfielder, but apparently he's also played the 'regista' role for his club Cagliari.

• 4 weeks later...

34 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Everyone seems to rave about this guy, apparently him and Jorginho formed a good partnership for Italy.

Who against though - except when the big guns go head to head national level is well below Premier League

I see similarities to James Milner

Edited by the special one

Barella has cult hero written all over him. I have watched him the last year, and he has all the hallmarks of a great, great modern day midfield player. I think he would be absolutely incredible in Sarri's high octane vision of how football should be played. 

Not to mention that Zola was assistent coach in Cagliari when Barella got his debut. It almost makes too much sense; getting in a young, two-way midfield player who tackles, runs, shoots and passes well.

4 hours ago, the special one said:

Who against though - except when the big guns go head to head national level is well below Premier League

I see similarities to James Milner

The Italians are getting excited about a very talented group of youngsters coming through at the moment - the best young  crop of players they’ve had in years. And Barella probably sits top of that list containing the likes of Chiesa, bernadeschi, Tonali, romagnoli, donnarumma.

I’d already have him over Barkley, plus he can also play the Jorginho role.

49 minutes ago, DannyVblue said:

The Italians are getting excited about a very talented group of youngsters coming through at the moment - the best young  crop of players they’ve had in years. And Barella probably sits top of that list containing the likes of Chiesa, bernadeschi, Tonali, romagnoli, donnarumma.

I’d already have him over Barkley, plus he can also play the Jorginho role.

I was about to post this too, both Italy and Holland seem to be coming back with some great youngsters.

He reminds me of Nainggolan, tenacious, technical, and can do a bit of everything. 

I can't really see us spending £100m on Kovacic and Barella though, so rather than a back up for jorginho, I think he would be an alternative to kovacic in the summer.

11 minutes ago, big blue said:

He reminds me of Nainggolan, tenacious, technical, and can do a bit of everything. 

I can't really see us spending £100m on Kovacic and Barella though, so rather than a back up for jorginho, I think he would be an alternative to kovacic in the summer.

I can, with Fabregas,Drinkwater and Bakayoko going, RLC injury prone and Barkley fairly average we need to buy. People seem to forget how much dead wood we have in our squad.

5 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

I can, with Fabregas,Drinkwater and Bakayoko going, RLC injury prone and Barkley fairly average we need to buy. People seem to forget how much dead wood we have in our squad.

I'm not doubting we need to buy, I just think kovacic and Barella are too similar. I would prefer one or the other and then someone like Aouar from lyon. 

2 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Should just take that 100m and give it to Lazio for SMS

Like the sound of this guy, not as well as kovacic though, all we need is 5 players to fill the 3 positions. Kante, jorginho, Barella, RLC, barkley. I cant see many circumstances when more than 2 would be injured, in the unusual circumstance that this did happen we always have luiz that can step into midfield or could temporarily change formation to a 4-2-3-1. Over fill the positions and players that dont get played will always get pi$$ed off and want out.