Christian Pulisic - Official

On 23/06/2019 at 07:47, seanlu13913 said:

Just curious if Miazga played last night. Kind of looked like him who scored the first goal. 

What number will Pulisic wear 

That goal (plus another later) were scored by Aaron Long.  He's the reigning MLS defender of the year and he's been the best defender on the US squad over the last 9 months.  I'd really like to see him move to the premier league, bundesliga, la liga or Serie A to develop his game. 

Miazga has been dreadful for the US.  I understand he played better in the Championship League but it hasn't shown on the international level.  Playing for Berhhalter doesn't help.  He's content to run untalented retreads out there b/c he knows them from MLS and past work for the USMNT (Bradley, Gonzalez, Ream, Zardes, Arriola and Will Trapp).  Guys like Miazga need to be playing right now (though he's behind other young players in terms of need to play).  Either they succeed or they fail but we need to know what they are (and I don't believe Miazga is any good).  We know the current guys can't compete even we mid-level international competition.

Pulisic has had a ton of success for the USMNT already but he's going to have a lot more once Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent et al are full time on the squad. We are finally starting to get multiple, big European League-level talents.  If only we could replace the hacks in charge of the program.  Berhhalter is like a sh*ttier Sarri.  He has his complicated system and he's going to play it with his old favorites no matter what.  Nevermind whether it fits the actual players.

On 24/06/2019 at 16:09, floydgator said:

That goal (plus another later) were scored by Aaron Long.  He's the reigning MLS defender of the year and he's been the best defender on the US squad over the last 9 months.  I'd really like to see him move to the premier league, bundesliga, la liga or Serie A to develop his game. 

Miazga has been dreadful for the US.  I understand he played better in the Championship League but it hasn't shown on the international level.  Playing for Berhhalter doesn't help.  He's content to run untalented retreads out there b/c he knows them from MLS and past work for the USMNT (Bradley, Gonzalez, Ream, Zardes, Arriola and Will Trapp).  Guys like Miazga need to be playing right now (though he's behind other young players in terms of need to play).  Either they succeed or they fail but we need to know what they are (and I don't believe Miazga is any good).  We know the current guys can't compete even we mid-level international competition.

Pulisic has had a ton of success for the USMNT already but he's going to have a lot more once Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, Josh Sargent et al are full time on the squad. We are finally starting to get multiple, big European League-level talents.  If only we could replace the hacks in charge of the program.  Berhhalter is like a sh*ttier Sarri.  He has his complicated system and he's going to play it with his old favorites no matter what.  Nevermind whether it fits the actual players.

The good news is almost all of those guys will be too old by the time the next WC rolls around.  But I agree that it will help Pulisic once they are phased out.

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

The good news is almost all of those guys will be too old by the time the next WC rolls around.  But I agree that it will help Pulisic once they are phased out.

I always liked watching the USA in the World Cup was almost like a novelty, not great players but the team spirit and work ethic served them very well.

I always said if America was serious about football they would have a world class team in 15 years from the day they decided, there are 300 odd million people of every genetic group, tons of funds for sports and top facilities, if the sport grows more popular they could be a dominant force.

Just keep your fuxking commentators to yourselves please ? The ball went out of touch that’s a soccer throw to the blue team ?

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

I always liked watching the USA in the World Cup was almost like a novelty, not great players but the team spirit and work ethic served them very well.

I always said if America was serious about football they would have a world class team in 15 years from the day they decided, there are 300 odd million people of every genetic group, tons of funds for sports and top facilities, if the sport grows more popular they could be a dominant force.

Just keep your fuxking commentators to yourselves please ? The ball went out of touch that’s a soccer throw to the blue team ?

8 hours ago, WalterWhiteCFC said:

Curious, how you determine if we're serious about soccer? I think we've been 'serious' for a few years now. We've been wrong but serious nonetheless. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues
1 minute ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Curious, how you determine if we're serious about soccer? I think we've been 'serious' for a few years now. We've been wrong but serious nonetheless. 

I would guess though that in order to be "serious" about football it would need to become the national sport. I would hazard a guess that the majority of athletes would still look at American football, Baseball or basketball before football. That said if you could convert a basketball team into playing a proper sport that would be very intimidating a team full of 7 footers ? 

46 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

I think the problem is we've almost tried to be too serious and as Bonzo said, it's not a national sport. It is taking hold and fast it seems like especially with all the new expansion teams coming to the MLS (I didn't follow the MLS until we picked up Atlanta United). It is nice to see "soccer" specific stadiums being build for teams in the MLS. I think with the UK, someone correct me if I'm wrong, there's not a plethora of sports people choose to be fans of, just multiple teams from the same city. Look at LA for example. They have five different sports leagues in town, MLS, MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL. Each of those leagues have two teams each. That's not to mention that San Francisco and San Diego aren't but a half day drive away and they also have a hand full of teams. In Atlanta we're lucky enough to only have one in each and our NHL team left a few years back due to the lack of a fan base.

With that being said, the average attendance to soccer matches has exceeded NHL, MLB and NBA in recent years. Atlanta set a record for season ticket holders before we even kicked a ball. I believe Austin has broken that record with their new expansion team. We, Atlanta, also have an average attendance of 53,000 per game which is crazy and from everything I've seen on the interweb that is 19th worldwide for football attendance.

I think it'll be a while until we're truly serous about soccer and are considered a formidable squad to challenge anything. Two World Cups ago we were lucky to make it to face Belgium in the round of 16.

57 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

I would guess though that in order to be "serious" about football it would need to become the national sport. I would hazard a guess that the majority of athletes would still look at American football, Baseball or basketball before football. That said if you could convert a basketball team into playing a proper sport that would be very intimidating a team full of 7 footers ? 

Didn't work too well for Stoke and Pulis.

I watched this match yesterday, and I feel bad for Pulisic having to play with some of these dudes on the American team. Squeaking by Curacao 1-0 was pretty blergh for me. Pulisic has looked the best player on the pitch typically this summer, as he should. I'm excited to see what he does in a Chelsea shirt.

USMNT was dreadful last night.  OK in the first half, could have had another goal or two and never was in any danger on the defensive end.  McKennie was brilliant in the first half.

Then the 2nd half started and it was pathetic.  The effort was abysmal.  Team definitely played like the game was over.  Jamaica will be a tougher challenge, but even with stiffs like Zardes, Arriola, Bradley and Ream out there, we should be able to get by them relatively easily.  Doesn't change the fact that any success that group has is relatively meaningless.  Those guys (and a lot of the others on this squad) are not and never will be good enough to compete at a serious international level.  Boyd and Zimmerman have impressed, but it sure would be nice to see Pulisic playing with some potential talent around him (like Holmes, Weah, Sargent and a few of the under 20s) and building some rapport rather than the hacks Berhhalter insists on running out there.  I still can't believe Sargent and Holmes aren't on this squad.

I really believe the development of the national team is being held back by US Soccer's emphasis on the MLS.  The quality of play there is poor.  Our better players need to be challenging themselves in Europe.  That's happening a lot now but some of these guys are being punished for it in terms of the national team.  There is absolutely no reason at all for Jonathan Lewis to have spent a single minute on the national team.  He's never done anything, even at the MLS level.  Other guys are doing something on the actual field (in Europe) but they get left off in favor of MLS guys.  Not good MLS players, mind you, b/c very few of the better players in MLS are Americans.  Develop the league, but not at the expense of the success of the national team.

3 minutes ago, floydgator said:

USMNT was dreadful last night.  OK in the first half, could have had another goal or two and never was in any danger on the defensive end.  McKennie was brilliant in the first half.

Then the 2nd half started and it was pathetic.  The effort was abysmal.  Team definitely played like the game was over.  Jamaica will be a tougher challenge, but even with stiffs like Zardes, Arriola, Bradley and Ream out there, we should be able to get by them relatively easily.  Doesn't change the fact that any success that group has is relatively meaningless.  Those guys (and a lot of the others on this squad) are not and never will be good enough to compete at a serious international level.  Boyd and Zimmerman have impressed, but it sure would be nice to see Pulisic playing with some potential talent around him (like Holmes, Weah, Sargent and a few of the under 20s) and building some rapport rather than the hacks Berhhalter insists on running out there.  I still can't believe Sargent and Holmes aren't on this squad.

I really believe the development of the national team is being held back by US Soccer's emphasis on the MLS.  The quality of play there is poor.  Our better players need to be challenging themselves in Europe.  That's happening a lot now but some of these guys are being punished for it in terms of the national team.  There is absolutely no reason at all for Jonathan Lewis to have spent a single minute on the national team.  He's never done anything, even at the MLS level.  Other guys are doing something on the actual field (in Europe) but they get left off in favor of MLS guys.  Not good MLS players, mind you, b/c very few of the better players in MLS are Americans.  Develop the league, but not at the expense of the success of the national team.

Holmes was on the roster but was withdrawn due to injury

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/06/injury-forces-duane-holmes-to-withdraw-from-us-mens-national-team-roster-for-2019-concacaf-gold-cup

Just now, mwblue10 said:

Ah, I knew he was on the provisional roster and a part of the team for the pre-cup friendlies.  Thought he got left off the final roster.  Missed opportunity for him, Adams and Brooks.

9 hours ago, Bonzodog29 said:

8 hours ago, seanlu13913 said:

I think the problem is we've almost tried to be too serious and as Bonzo said, it's not a national sport. It is taking hold and fast it seems like especially with all the new expansion teams coming to the MLS (I didn't follow the MLS until we picked up Atlanta United). It is nice to see "soccer" specific stadiums being build for teams in the MLS. I think with the UK, someone correct me if I'm wrong, there's not a plethora of sports people choose to be fans of, just multiple teams from the same city. Look at LA for example. They have five different sports leagues in town, MLS, MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL. Each of those leagues have two teams each. That's not to mention that San Francisco and San Diego aren't but a half day drive away and they also have a hand full of teams. In Atlanta we're lucky enough to only have one in each and our NHL team left a few years back due to the lack of a fan base.

With that being said, the average attendance to soccer matches has exceeded NHL, MLB and NBA in recent years. Atlanta set a record for season ticket holders before we even kicked a ball. I believe Austin has broken that record with their new expansion team. We, Atlanta, also have an average attendance of 53,000 per game which is crazy and from everything I've seen on the interweb that is 19th worldwide for football attendance.

I think it'll be a while until we're truly serous about soccer and are considered a formidable squad to challenge anything. Two World Cups ago we were lucky to make it to face Belgium in the round of 16.

I don't think that will ever happen in our lifetimes. The NBA and NFL are always going to be bigger than soccer here and they'll generally get the best athletes. Soccer is undoubtedly on the up and more kids are sticking with it instead of moving on like they would in the past but I think we are taking it seriously here in the US, we're just getting it wrong from youth all the way up to MLS. 

12 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

What I mean is if it’s a sport that takes more of a priority, right now above football in terms of popularity and spending you have:

Basketball

American Football 

Baseball

Ice Hockey

Boxing/MMA

Athletics

If you want you can add NASCAR to that then some where down the list football becomes a priority.

For most European and Latin countries football is the top sporting priority with fans and the country.

More of a demand from fans means more academies, more investment and more development, right now football is an after thought in the grand scheme of things, should it rise its way up that popularity list it as stated America has the conditions to be a force in world football but I would think that’s some way away. 

IMO even if the popularity of football in the US doesn't match the NFL or NBA, it doesn't mean that it's not taken seriously. From what I've seen when European teams are on tour every game has a full stadium or at least 40k people watching so there is a strong culture there of "soccer". It doesn't need a strong tradition to be serious, for example the NFL is maybe the number one sport in the US only but world wide, leagues like NBA, NHL and even MLB probably have a much bigger following.

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

IMO even if the popularity of football in the US doesn't match the NFL or NBA, it doesn't mean that it's not taken seriously

over the last decade, the participation in American Football is down 10% at the youth level for fear of long term injuries. Concussions have gotten most of the press, but I know dozens of players who played college and beyond, and not a one of them is without health problems. My son is a pretty good athlete and he plays baseball and academy football. The ability and sheer numbers of players I see at the youth level is staggering to me.

With 350 Million people in this country, it doesn't have to be more popular than the NFL, NBA, or MLB to still be massive, and as the demographics continue to change, the fan-scape changes too. Of course that's more Real and Barca fans here :laugh2:

I'm 46 and never had a coach who played the game. That's how far behind we were from a technical and exposure level. Professional Footballer was never an option for previous generations. It is now.

The state of Georgia is roughly the same size as England, with about 1/5th of the population. This is a map of Academies in Georgia alone. 

Participation in this country isn't going to be a problem. 

We're not all of a sudden going to be a world power, but we should be a country that regularly makes the round of 16 and is capable of making some of the traditional powers nervous. 2002, where Germany eliminated the US in the quarter-finals, should be the norm for this country, not the exception. 

Soccer Clubs in Georgia.JPG

38 minutes ago, floydgator said:

Another opportunity to see Pulisic in the semifinals of the Gold Cup vs. Jamaica tonight.  Can't imagine this is televised in the UK, but it's on FS1 here in the states.

Assuming they manage to get past Jamaica I will be more interested to see how he does against Mexico. At least then he will be up against some genuine quality. I have watched a few games and so far the player who has caught the eye most for me has been Rodolfo Pizarro of Mexico. Looks a very classy midfielder and rarely plays a bad pass. I'm surprised he hasn't been chased down by one of the European teams.

17 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Assuming they manage to get past Jamaica I will be more interested to see how he does against Mexico. At least then he will be up against some genuine quality. I have watched a few games and so far the player who has caught the eye most for me has been Rodolfo Pizarro of Mexico. Looks a very classy midfielder and rarely plays a bad pass. I'm surprised he hasn't been chased down by one of the European teams.

A lot of the Mexican national team likes to play in their home country.  There are a good amount that are playing in Europe though, but for the most part, they seem to stay home.

1 minute ago, mwblue10 said:

A lot of the Mexican national team likes to play in their home country.  There are a good amount that are playing in Europe though, but for the most part, they seem to stay home.

Yes. Will be interesting to see if others follow Raul Jimenez after his success in the Premier League. He is another Mexican player who consistently shows quality.