Sign in to follow this  
Nibs

Danny Baker Sacked by BBC (Again!)

See Danny Baker has been sacked for a "humorous" Tweet that seriously backfired as deemed racist.

He honestly didn't know the connotations and as soon as he did he deleted it and apologised but of course the BBC hierarchy must be seen to do the right thing so the sack it is. Anyone who seriously thinks Danny Baker meant the post in a racist way is just one of these folk who wakes up every day and sees what they can find to offend them. People seem to make a living out of being offended these days. 

Guess it serves him right for being a Millwall supporter!

I can't stand him but this is utterly ridiculous, the desperation by some to be outraged by everything is unbelievable and is going to lead to no one daring to opine anything other than bland nothingness in fear of upsetting thiese gobsh*tes.

When I saw this last night I couldn't believe that anybody could have posted that picture without having racist intentions, - it's so obviously something a racist would do, but having read his apology I actually believe his explanation that he meant it just as a piss take of the circus around the royal family.

If he had posted it meaning to be racist then he would deserve the sack, but I'm convinced he didn't and has removed the tweet and apologised. I'm not sure what else he could have done, except maybe not posting such a stupid tweet in the first place. This is obviously a PR move by the BBC but I suspect it will back-fire as I think people will either feel sorry for him (as I do) or use it to fuel their PC-GONE-MAD agenda.

3 minutes ago, bluedave said:

When I saw this last night I couldn't believe that anybody could have posted that picture without having racist intentions, - it's so obviously something a racist would do, but having read his apology I actually believe his explanation that he meant it just as a piss take of the circus around the royal family.

If he had posted it meaning to be racist then he would deserve the sack, but I'm convinced he didn't and has removed the tweet and apologised. I'm not sure what else he could have done, except maybe not posting such a stupid tweet in the first place. This is obviously a PR move by the BBC but I suspect it will back-fire as I think people will either feel sorry for him (as I do) or use it to fuel their PC-GONE-MAD agenda.

Yeah totally agree.

I'm a fan of Baker. Well I say that, what I mean is he can be very entertaining and is extremely quick witted and I have always enjoyed him on the radio. He can get a bit OTT and being Millwall he takes pleasure in slagging off Chelsea, which winds me up, but on the whole he's a very decent bloke, although on TV, I can see why some folk find him a bit irritating. But there is no way he meant that tweet in a racist way - he's far too intelligent to risk his career by doing something like that. It was a genuine mistake, where he has posted something thinking it's really funny without thinking and I bet as soon as it was pointed out to him, to use one of his own favourite terms - he swallowed something hard and jagged!

He's done an interview with LBC Radio about it. 

Basically said he understands the decision to sack him but the handling of it by the BBC and their public response is what is disappointing. 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/danny-bakers-first-interview-since-being-sacked-by/

Meanwhile Nigel Farage is on both Politics Live and Question Time today a man who has constantly flirted with the extreme right, including numerous appearances on Alex Jones' Info Wars. 

It's the hypocrisy and double standards that's so frustrating with these things. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He's done an interview with LBC Radio about it. 

Basically said he understands the decision to sack him but the handling of it by the BBC and their public response is what is disappointing. 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/danny-bakers-first-interview-since-being-sacked-by/

Meanwhile Nigel Farage is on both Politics Live and Question Time today a man who has constantly flirted with the extreme right, including numerous appearances on Alex Jones' Info Wars. 

It's the hypocrisy and double standards that's so frustrating with these things. 

How is that synonymous with racist lmao? "Extreme right" and "far right" are just thrown around everywhere these days. 

Lemme guess, you don't object to it when the BBC have the likes of Owen Jones, Akala, Ash Sarkar, David Lammy, Abbot, Kehinde Andrews, Afua Hirsch and other "far left", SJW and anti-white racists though. 

Edited by Slojo

37 minutes ago, Slojo said:

How is that synonymous with racist lmao? "Extreme right" and "far right" are just thrown around everywhere these days. 

Lemme guess, you don't object to it when the BBC have the likes of Owen Jones, Akala, Ash Sarkar, David Lammy, Abbot, Kehinde Andrews, Afua Hirsch and other "far left", SJW and anti-white racists though. 

I didn’t equate it to racism though did I? 

Alex Jones is an absolute nut job who peddled conspiracies that Sandy Hook didn’t happen and that the parents were crises actors.

Me personally, I don’t think a serious politician worth his salt should affiliate himself with someone like that, let alone make numerous appearances on his show talking directly to him.

But the BBC are happy to continuously have Farage on despite his flirting with such extreme characters.

There in lies the hypocrisy of their “standards”.

it seems to me now that there is no "right" in political views, its either "far right" or "extreme right" and very soon every body will be terrified just to have any form of "right wing" views, the left is doing a very good job at the moment of vilifying any thing "right wing"

as for Danny baker he must be a total plum if he could not see how that picture would be deemed in this day in age

4 hours ago, bluedave said:

Without getting into debate on PC gone mad or whether the picture was racist yes or no, you'd have to have lived under a rock for the past 10 years if you really couldn't predict the accusations of racism after posting a tweet like that.

Just now, Valerie said:

Without getting into debate on PC gone mad or whether the picture was racist yes or no, you'd have to have lived under a rock for the past 10 years if you really couldn't predict the accusations of racism after posting a tweet like that.

Apparently a lot of people in the UK didn't even know the mother is mixed race so maybe he was one of them.

I'm not sure if you would have heard about the Wayne Hennessey thing (basically he was photographed doing a Hitler salute and got away with it on account of being an idiot who didn't know anything about Nazis), but I think it shows that just because something seems very obvious to us, we can't assume it's equally as obvious to everybody else.

14 minutes ago, luckywerthers said:

i am not a gambling man but i would lay money wayne hennessey knew exactly what a nazi salute was and that danny baker knew the mother was of mixed race

I would give you some of my own money to lay that bet.

10 hours ago, luckywerthers said:

i am not a gambling man but i would lay money wayne hennessey knew exactly what a nazi salute was and that danny baker knew the mother was of mixed race

Loads of people don't know that whatshername is mixed race as it's not obvious from appearance. If you've listened to his shows, Danny Baker has always had a thing for chimps / monkeys dressed up and being a working class lad has always had pops at the upper classes, so it was just a genuine and bad mistake.

I like Danny Baker and can’t believe for an intelligent bloke he slipped up so royally.

Then again in the present climate it only takes a momentary lapse of judgement and your careers in tatters.

My 78 year old Mum sent me on WhatsApp the same picture. She’s not a racist, it’s just sick humour. Laughing at things you shouldn’t laugh at. Half the BBC executives probably saw the same picture on WhatsApp and had a private chuckle.

Its a joke FFS. The difference is he got caught, and there’s only one way that scenario was gonna play out.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nibs said:

Loads of people don't know that whatshername is mixed race as it's not obvious from appearance. If you've listened to his shows, Danny Baker has always had a thing for chimps / monkeys dressed up and being a working class lad has always had pops at the upper classes, so it was just a genuine and bad mistake.

Absolutely this, I had no idea she was mixed race and I`m pretty sure the majority don`t either. Basically context and nuance is now ignored for black and white (no pun intended) accusations of racism/homophobia/sexism etc. He has never posted or spoken anything racist in his past as far as I`m aware, so why would he now all of a sudden go full on racist using a mechanism he has also used often in the past for jokes against the royalty? It really is disgraceful that now you are presumed guilty instantly by certain people who feel they can be judge and executioner before they even look at the evidence or situation.

Edited by dkw

14 hours ago, luckywerthers said:

The panel would disagree with you about Hennessey. It's hard to believe but some people really are that ignorant.

“Improbable as that may seem to those of us of an older generation, we do not reject that assertion as untrue,” noted the panel. “In fact, when cross-examined about this, Mr Hennessey displayed a very considerable – one might even say lamentable – degree of ignorance about anything to do with Hitler, fascism and the Nazi regime.

Regarding Danny Baker, I expect he was probably aware of Meghan Markle's ethnicity but wasn't thinking about this when he posted that image, since her race is completely unimportant to him.

Baker picked the picture and added a couple of lines so he looked at it and thought yeah that's fine. He's a journalist and maybe he doesn't know anything about the royal family but I'm not buying he didn't know about her mixed race heritage. I didn't watch the wedding but everyone knew after about that black priest he wasn't exactly your local vicar was he ?

47 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Baker picked the picture and added a couple of lines so he looked at it and thought yeah that's fine. He's a journalist and maybe he doesn't know anything about the royal family but I'm not buying he didn't know about her mixed race heritage. I didn't watch the wedding but everyone knew after about that black priest he wasn't exactly your local vicar was he ?

Why does her having a black priest mean we then know shes mixed race? 

59 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

I didn't watch the wedding but everyone knew after about that black priest he wasn't exactly your local vicar was he ?

No, he was American... Like her. 

7 minutes ago, dkw said:

Why does her having a black priest mean we then know shes mixed race? 

I think by that logic Prince Harry must be mixed race as well, unless they had their own individual priests.

So far there's been a lot of "I knew this so everybody else must know it too", which isn't quite how it works. I didn't know about the black priest, for example, because any mention of royal weddings makes all of my senses shut down instantly. 

1 minute ago, bluedave said:

I think by that logic Prince Harry must be mixed race as well, unless they had their own individual priests.

So far there's been a lot of "I knew this so everybody else must know it too", which isn't quite how it works. I didn't know about the black priest, for example, because any mention of royal weddings makes all of my senses shut down instantly. 

You and me both mate, I have zero interest in the royals. I had no idea she was mixed race, I had no idea a black priest did the ceremony, though I probably heard something at the time but it's not something I would ever remember. I think it's a huge reacb to say Baker should have known she was mixed race because she had a black priest marry her. 

37 minutes ago, dkw said:

You and me both mate, I have zero interest in the royals. I had no idea she was mixed race, I had no idea a black priest did the ceremony, though I probably heard something at the time but it's not something I would ever remember. I think it's a huge reacb to say Baker should have known she was mixed race because she had a black priest marry her. 

Would rather watch the washing machine go round than a televised ceremony.

Bit like any wedding- girls enjoy the Church bit whereas blokes can’t wait to escape for a fag and get bolloxed at the reception.

Got married on the hottest day ever in this country. Is was that boiling thought the vicar was gonna dunk his arse in the font.

Complete numpty. Stupid man.

I cant understand how people in the spot light make these sorts of gaffs on social media.... why take the risk? 

Probably deserves to be sacked for being so stupid, even if he wasn't intentionally, or subconsciously being a racist. 

I used to enjoy listening to his radio shows but haven't tuned in for a few years now. Anyone who knows anything about him will know how much he hates racists and racism. He's a bright guy and in this day and age he should have thought a bit more carefully before posting the picture. I would have liked to have seen Danny throw this back at these moral nazis and ask them why they think of a black person when they see a chimp??? Danny Baker doesn't!!!